Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:31:54 AM PST
readerland says:
OK, this is last post. Sorry, but I got scared to lose the link, so took the plunge :)

Here is link to Thread # 2

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=TxHFZ27BBCH0GG

Bye, for now!! See you in thread 2...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 10:24:03 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
If you have a high tolerance for angst and drama or if you like Jodi Piccoult or if you can gear yourself to a non HEA outlook, I would give it a try.

I did not like the book because of the ambivalent ending but I thought she did the conflicts well although she really had to over -exaggerate the main traits of each character to make the story work. While the overexaggeration made sense in the Mia/Cam portion of the story cause they were in lust and fantasy land, it did not work so well with the Allie and Jamie/Maggie parts of the story. For me it was a decent read, I don't know that I would re-read it tho.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:19:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2015 10:19:27 AM PST
readerland says:
Whoever does it, on last post needs to edit that post and link the 2nd thread please. This way folks know where to go....

Thanks....

And 2 to go...

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:11:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2015 10:12:27 AM PST
It looks like this topic is almost at its end...I think. Isn't 10,000 posts the limit? If so, 3 more posts after mine and that's it. :/

Somebody should start a new thread. Maybe "Worst Betrayal 2"?

You know what? In all the years I've been reading this topic, I never noticed that the OP misspelled the title. Not until today. lol

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:04:16 AM PST
Would you recommend it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 9:23:33 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
It is just a really sad story, I did believe Cam loved Allie- cause she gave him the opportunity to fulfill his dreams and go- but like a lot of other people when the reality of his choices sets in, he runs back to the familiar and comfortable.

Mercy is NOT a romance, it is a fictional portrayal of life in a small town and how individual choices can make a limited life either heaven or hell. I think there were some over-dramatic spots in it and I think the resolution was not there for a really satisfying story.(I want my stories to have a definitive end with clear borders, if I wanted to speculate I would write my own books but I am lazy and that's what I pay authors for,) but each character was empathetic and then repulsive by turns and thus they all came off a little more understandable than what normally would be the case in a full on romance novel.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:22:53 AM PST
Wow! I think I will leave that one alone.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:17:35 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
Also need to add the irony of Jamie helping Maggie to die is that ultimately it kills Jamie's love FOR Maggie, and so what should have been a positive relationship with a sad ending becomes a constant irritation and a reminder of the selfishness of love and neediness and Jamie can no longer think of Maggie with happiness and peace. Maggie truly destroys the relationship in a way that cannot be recovered.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:17:28 AM PST
Thanks, both of you. I read somewhere that the sickest person in a family is the most powerful. Your reviews sound like the only healthy one, Allie, was robbed blind because she did not need another person to validate her. Did either of you read Damage or see the picture. The premise of those is that damaged people can survive and it does not really bother them to hurt others.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:16:30 AM PST
Geri says:
boogenhagen.....OMG!! What a train wreck?

How can Cam look his wife in the face and say that he loves her after all that damage? If he really loved her he would let her go so that she can have a better life with someone else.

Mia moves on leaving a mess. UGH!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 8:52:49 AM PST
sab says:
LovingRomance, JP said she left the ending deliberately open so it is upto each of us to make our own HEA with that:(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 8:45:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2015 8:53:24 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
Mercy - this is really a story about people who love their dreams too much. Allie doesn't really push Cam into anything - Cam just hates his life and Mia is a free spirit who travels around from town to town but secretly wants a home. Cam feels tied by duty and expectations to live his whole life in this small town where nothing really changes. Allie just loves Cam but really doesn't understand his frustrations. Mia wants what Allie has, a stable, secure life with a good marriage and where every day is the same. Cam falls in love with the illusion of freedom that Mia represents. Mia uses Cam in an attempt to become Allie. Allie is very trusting and just doesn't see the affair for a long time. Cam gets to the point where he is ready to run off with Mia. Mia doesn't want that AT ALL and so leaves him without a word to try and find a place where she can settle.

Essentially the triangle between Mia, Cam and Allie is that two of them want a dream and don't see the reality of who the other one really is and Allie is left with the devastation that comes from the pursuit of those dreams as both Cam and Mia put her in the middle. Allie is also put into the middle by Jamie, her cousin who is married to Maggie who is dying of cancer, when he assists Maggie to commit suicide and Cam has to arrest him and testify against him.

Jamie loves Maggie so much and she just can't handle the cancer, so he helps her die-- but again Allie is caught between love for her cousin and understanding where he was at and the drive of Cam to convict a man who he sees as a murderer. So yet another triangle with Allie as the fulcrum.

I did not see Allie as smothering, I saw her as just being happy and fulfilled in her life and it is this contentment that every other character in the book envies whether consciously or not. Jamie, Maggie, Cam and Mia all have pieces of themselves missing and so, like all hurting people do, they try to fill those internal holes and wind up destroying everyone around them.

Cam is not a miserable cheating nematode, he is a very unhappy, trapped desperate man and he wants a different life so badly that he cannot look beyond his own pain. I believe that had Cam ever really expressed his own inner turmoil, Allie would have been more understanding and amendable to change than what he thought.

The big conflict in this book and the driving focus behind it is that all of the damaged characters, Jamie, Maggie, Cam and Mia are SO focused on getting their internal holes filled that they cannot see anything else. They can't think rationally or listen to advice and because their blind striving is so desperate, they make inaccurate assumptions about the people they interact with.

Cam assumes Allie is more in love with her life and status than really interested and loving him - when it is actually Mia who is the one who wants the status and lifestyle. Mia assumes that Cam is all about the lifestyle and looking for a more attractive companion when Cam actually wants the lifestyle Mia has and Maggie is so afraid of pain and illness that she relentlessly pushes Jamie to help her die as proof of his love. Jamie of course is desperate to help his wife and finally does help her to prove his love.

By the end of the book, all of the conflicts have been resolved by the damaged ones and only Allie is left damaged and broken and now has to figure out a way to heal her life. Her serenity has been permanently shattered and JP leaves the ending uncertain as to whether Allie will ever really be whole again. Cam wakes up to reality, Jamie comes out of his fugue. Mia moves on to a new town to find a real life and Maggie is dead while Allie picks up the pieces and tries to mend them and move on.

ETA - I did not hate Cam and Mia, mostly I felt sorry for them. They were so needy and yet so unable to positively fill those needs that Allie - on the surface the weakest character- is the one who really is the strongest. She faces the shattering of illusion much better than Cam or Mia and she doesn't destroy the world around her to do it. It is her strength that helps the others to heal and cope and it is ironic that everyone else finds compensation for their pain and emptiness and she just has to go on knowing her dreams are shattered.

It is a downer of a book and I felt sorry for everyone, they took good if imperfect lives and destroyed them without a thought and now they can never be as safe and comfortable in themselves as they were. Nothing will ever be the same and Cam and Jamie both lost something valuable that they will NEVER get back, fortunately they both realize it but there is no way to make up for it.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:40:06 AM PST
Thanks, sab. The negative reviews agree with you but the positive ones seem to approve of the cheating. That is such a no no on this forum that I am puzzled as to how the reviewers came to that conclusion. If I read correctly the affair started immediately and the husband never paid any price for it. Does Picoult give a reason why Allie would forgive him so easily?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 8:38:49 AM PST
KatieV says:
Sophie & Pudding 1950 --

I do organize my Kindle books into collections on my old original Kindle (I prefer reading on it). I played with one of the free collection apps on my Kindle HD, but never really liked it.

Personally, Goodreads works best for me as far as organizing. You can create a gazillion shelves to match whatever interest you may have. For example if I want to read a historical romance with a vengeful hero, I can look at what falls into those two shelves in my to-be-read pile. Amazon owns them now, so you can sign in directly with your Amazon login and all your Amazon books can be automatically transferred over for shelving. I'm a bit leery of the multi-login phenomena where account you have online is linked (usually via Facebook), but it is a convenient way of getting everything over to GR for shelving.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 8:25:48 AM PST
sab says:
Lovingromance, I would love to spoil it but my loyalty lies with Allie and to me both Cam and Mia are not worth being said about. They are just the lowest of the lowest! Allie gives a home and job to Mia and she just takes over both. Cam and Mia have a full fledged affair, having smex right in the marital bed, going away on trips with the excuse of his job and simply don't give a second thought to Allie. One fine day Mia thinks she has done enough damage to that family and just vanishes and cam realises he loves his wife and stays with her. Allie just takes him back. I believe she should have just dumped him. I rewrite that story every once in a while and I am still not satisfied and it required quite a few days for me to move away from that book. I feel I shouldn't have read it.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:04:30 AM PST
Reviews about the book Mercy that have been written are all over the place and so I read the reviews and I am puzzled. Five-star reviews are about two wives who push their husbands to do unforgivable things. Maggie, the wife who wants to die, and Allie, the wife who smothers her husband with love. Some of the reviews are 100% for Mia, the other woman. I've been reading all the negative reviews and they touch on the same subjects but come at that book as if Cam is a miserable, cheating piece of scum. Can someone give me a review that looks at both sides? I have hesitated downloading this but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 7:06:25 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
Danger Close (Contemporary Military Romance) by Laura Day - not Pudding 1950 but that is the book

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:45:55 AM PST
Pudding -- what's the title of this book? I must add it to my "to be avoided list."

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:03:42 AM PST
Pudding 1950 says:
HELLO EVERYBODY
I BELIEVE THIS BOOK DANGER CLOSE has already been done. So please forgive me if that's true. I am 73% into this book and it is PAINFUL to me. Has the wife/sister been dead and buried three days yet? I could not tell, but the husband & and sister of this departed woman are already getting it on no signs of remorse. It is the next morning and he tells her they have to talk. She's getting ready to go oral on him, so of course he complies. And of course there intimacy if better that they have every had all their lives. I know the sister is dead, but you sleep in your sister's bed with your sister's husband so soon. Each of them were actually having inappropriate thoughts in their minds, prior to the woman,'s death. Maybe she caused the accident (that is a far reach, I know) . If I read correctly, they haven't even spent much time together over the years. I will finish it because I paid for it. At the end they will find in those letters something that the sister to indicate that her husband and he'd sister BELONG TOGETHER

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 8:09:03 AM PST
Samsgram says:
I have been able to archive my books in both Kindle app and on my nook that way they are there but not in the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 5:07:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2015 3:51:45 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 8:23:16 PM PST
Thanks, DL

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 8:19:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2015 12:26:39 PM PST
D. L. Murphy says:
You can delete any books you want to by going to the Amazon library they're all listed it's very easy to delete them.

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 4:14:43 PM PST
I wonder if you can delete the bad ones permanently by going to Kindle site on Amazon. I am so afraid I will touch the wrong button and lose everything. I have a lot of dross on my Kindle and Ipad and I would love to pare down. Right now I am saving into "device" those that I know I will keep bit I have so many I get tired of doing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2015 3:43:03 PM PST
Sophie... says:
Pudding 1950, which kindle do you have? at least on the paperwhite (but maybe this is true of all of them now?) you can make collections and they, as well as all the books in each collection, are stored in the cloud.

that means you can add books to your collection but delete them from the kindle. they stay in the collection on the cloud. I'm liking that feature, especially since I started a "holiday" collection in November. I'd delete each book as I read it, not worrying about finding it again next holiday season cause I can download them all back to the kindle from the collection in the cloud.

slowly, slowly, I'll begin organizing all my kindle books this way, though I foresee needing lots more collections. Dead Tree Books are "organized" in a way that only makes sense to me, and nothing is written down. can't wait to learn from others the best way to fix my mess :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 100 customers

Search Customer Discussions