Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Where are the bad girl heroines??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2012 3:20:42 PM PST
I've grown so tired of the victimized, innocent heroines. I am ready for a change. I want a bad girl, someone who has been through a lot in her life but instead of waiting for somebody to save her, she typically saves herself. A heroine who stands up for herself and tells the hero to go to hell if he needs it.

I prefer contemporaries, but historicals are welcomed too.

(Can you guys also do the link thingy? I know im asking for too much already but it would be truly appreciated)

Best,
Savannah :D

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:22:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 16, 2012 4:25:35 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:25:25 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
The only bad girl heroines that I can think of are from Urban Fantasy novels. Not so much in the 'romance' genre. But, of course, those are typically series versus self-contained novels, as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 4:28:33 PM PST
Ridley says:
The heroine of Trespass by Meg Maguire is on the run from the police and drugs the hero's dogs and steals his money to help her keep running, all after he took her in, picked buckshot out of her and let her crash at his house no questions asked. It's a contemporary set in Montana.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:30:01 PM PST
readsalot says:
OMG I have no idea why Amazon deleted my post...pfft. But I suggested reading Fall from Grace . I dont want to retype everything so please just read the reviews.

Simply an amazing story. Exactly what you were asking for.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:32:26 PM PST
Ridley says:
Here's what readsalot said before Amazon's profanity bot got at it:

"I look and look but really can't find many *true* bad-girl heroines out there. They either come across as one big doormat or some raging [female breeding dog]. I would also love some rec'd with this theme.

Best book that I can think of at the moment is Fall from Grace by Megan Chance. This book is very dark but its on my Keeper shelf.

She is most definitely a kick [butt], bad, manipulative girl. I dont mean a wannabe bad, but a real stone cold killer, a user, a liar, etc. All because life made her so but she does redeem herself at the end and there is a hero who loves her just as she is, evilness and all.

To summarize the story, her parents were murdered by the hero's gang when she was only 13 and then end up adopting her because she had no where else to go. They then turn her into one of them not realizing she's out for revenge. The hero, the son of the Gang leader ends up falling in love with her but she's so damaged by this (age 25) time that she's unable to feel anything for him or for the people she kills. This book gets me every time because of the obsessive love the hero had for the heroine.... Some of the things she did to him just made me cringe (tried to kill him more than once and I dont mean one of those fake-revenge, she really had no feelings whatsoever), but he kept coming back for more because he loved her so much...

This book was simply amazing! I loveed this author's writing, the uniqueness of the story... just everything about the book was unusual. I highly recommend it. :)"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 4:32:34 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
lol. I think I saw (can't quite remember) that you used the a*s word. It's not personal. They auto scan for certain things...

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:36:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 4:40:31 PM PST
readsalot says:
Thanks, Ridley! :) :)

edit:
LOL I didnt even realize I said a bad word....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 4:41:10 PM PST
Ridley says:
It was still in my browser history, so why not copy/paste it, right? Their language bot is sort of baffling.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:10:26 PM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
We're talking "not weak" heroines, rather than "nasty and horrid" heroines, yeah? Because most urban fantasy heroines terrify me, but here are some romantic suspense heroines capable of dealing with their own dramas:

Rescue Me: A Novel - Christy Reece
Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, Book 3) - Suzanne Brockmann
To the Limit (The Bodyguards, Book 2) - Cindy Gerard
Into the Dark (The Bodyguards, Book 6) - Cindy Gerard
Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters) - Kylie Brant
Crazy Love - Tara Janzen
Dark Country: A Kris Matthews Thriller - Bronwyn Parry
Hold on to Me (Hearts of the South) - Linda Winfee
Living on the Edge: An Edge Novel - Shannon K. Butcher
Deadly Heat - Cynthia Eden

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:10:47 PM PST
Thank you so much guys!! I'm def giving both books a chance right now :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 5:19:42 PM PST
Def "Not Weak", i want them to be realistically bad not something lets say like Kresley Cole's hero where they are even mass murders (not to bash on her bc she has some interesting stories) and the audience is suppose to be alright with that. Even if its a fantasy settings i like to have the reaction and emotion of the character be realistic and develop at a realistic rate.

Thanks for all the suggestions : )

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:40:33 PM PST
KES says:
If you like PNR, you might try Delicate Freakn' Flower (Freakn' Shifters).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 6:26:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 6:29:19 PM PST
V says:
The China Bride by Mary Jo Putney (this is a historical, but the heroine knows kung fu and can totally take care of herself)
Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8) by JR Ward (this is a paranormal, but Xhex is one tough cookie)

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:34:18 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
I really liked Skin Heat by Ava Gray. The heroine is a loner, very strong and independent but with a vulnerable side.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:55:00 PM PST
P Gallegos says:
Have you tried Susan Elizabeth Phillips Ain't She Sweet? the heroine was a major bia bia in high school, and it takes place like 13 years after? I totally would have recommended Kresley Cole's Demon From the Dark lol I thought of Carrow first when I saw your headline, even though she's more of a party girl.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 8:13:48 PM PST
Lisa says:
Readalot: Fall from Grace is a romance right? HEA?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 4:42:17 AM PST
Older, Wiser... Pregnant (Special Edition) by Marilyn pappano

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 6:13:54 AM PST
Freegirl116 says:
Does anybody have Fall from Grace to lend? My email is freegirl116@gmail.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:02:04 AM PST
BethB says:
Tamara in Shannon McKenna's McCloud series is pretty awesome. She gets her own HEA in Ultimate Weapon

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:07:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 2:10:28 PM PST
readsalot says:
Lisa, Fall from Grace is a romance novel, yup. HEA and everything...

Some of the comments made by the reviewers made it seem like it wasnt because it doesnt follow the usual romance formula: A virgin heroine. A weak and spineless/ a doormat heroine who has no life without the hero. Lily's had a lover in the past, and its the hero who does all the sacrificing and pining in this book.

This author also wrote The Portrait, another very unusual romance that more people are familiar with. (bipolar hero) But I didn't care for the heroine (she has major self esteem issues, my biggest pet peeve)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:09:17 PM PST
Talltree says:
ALL Shelly Laurenston/ GA Aiken heroines...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 2:15:21 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 2:33:29 PM PST
Sec says:
Fall From Grace is still on my TBR list, but it sounds as though the hero is the doormat here. Does the heroine have to grovel in order to regain his trust in the way that alphole heroes are expected to grovel before they are forgiven?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:39:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 3:49:40 PM PST
readsalot says:
LOL Sec, you're absolutely right, he was the doormat because no matter how much she abused him, he just took it and still tried to save her and do what was best for her regardless of what would happen to him.

She didnt need to grovel at all at the end, all she had to do was say the magic words (love) and all was forgiven.

edit:

But you should read it anyway, its an amazing book!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions