Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Help with title and author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2012 2:53:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 3:00:26 AM PDT
Neeta says:
This has been bugging me for a little while - vague scenes popping into my mind, but I've got no clue of whose book it is. Our hero is some sort of criminal - an assassin or hit man I think and he runs across the heroine in an alley or deserted street in the rain. I think the hit may have gone wrong. Heroine is somehow down on her luck, jobless and probably homeless, or perhaps aged out of foster care. Hero sets her up with a small apartment and a job (waitress in a bar I believe). I'm pretty sure they wait a while before smexing it up too - he thought she was either too young or too innocent for him or somesuch. Any help with this hugely appreciated, I've been through my entire stockpile and can't find it anywhere, but I know I've read the damn thing!! I think it may have been lost when my old computer died, and it wasn't on the last backup flash drive I had. I can remember her being excited to show him the "decorating" she's done in the apartment her found her, and I can remember him and her going to sleep cuddled on the couch, with him being all "revved up" but not wanting to do anything about it. I'm also pretty sure he wants out of the life but with his history, doesn't know how he'll go about it and survive.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 11:18:41 PM PDT
Neeta says:
anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 2:48:01 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
The only book I can think of that's remotely similar is Hell Bent by Heather Killough-Walden.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 5:10:16 AM PDT
Neeta says:
Thankyou, but no this isn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:14:17 AM PDT
Mary Moritz says:
That does sound really familiar. Could it have been the plot of a movie that you remember as a book? I'll keep thinking on it because I don't really have a choice now. It's bugging me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 1:00:11 PM PDT
Neeta says:
Nope, it's definitely a book - I'm actually not much of a movie person.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 1:04:14 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Maybe Anne Stuart's 'Ice' series? I've only read one, but aren't they all about assassins?

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 1:06:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 1:07:39 PM PDT
Neeta says:
Nope, I just recently read all the Ice series for the first time, and while a tad similar, it's not one of them. Though I think that's what started me thinking about the scenes from this other book.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 1:45:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 1:46:28 PM PDT
Jean says:
Is she aged out of foster care and she uses some of the H's land to start a half-way house sort of thing for kids who are now out of foster care and nowhere to go? The book I'm thinking of, she used to be a prostitute, I think he's an undercover cop, he has to deploy to Afghanistan where he is presumed dead. She's pregnant and gets out of town (because she has big trouble with her pimp), gets a small apartment and a job as a waitress in a diner. If any of that sounds familiar, it might be Throwaway by Heather Huffman.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 5:25:54 PM PDT
Neeta says:
Nope, that is definitely not it either.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:50:58 AM PDT
Neeta says:
anyone yet?

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:07:22 AM PDT
Bump. Hope you find it.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:15:02 PM PDT
Neeta says:
bump

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:40:59 AM PDT
Talltree says:
Is the hero's names James or Jamie or something with J? It sound familiar to me too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:50:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 5:51:41 AM PDT
JennyG. says:
Was this book self-published or published by a legit publishing house? Did you read it as paperback or on Kindle, Nook, ...?

How old is the book, approximately?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 6:09:20 AM PDT
Talltree says:
12 Rounds (Knockout Series) ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:13:19 AM PDT
MelissaB says:
No, not 12 Rounds, I just read that one.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:00:13 AM PDT
Neeta says:
Nope, not 12 rounds (I've only recently read that). I read it sometime before my old computer broke in march - it was an ebook. I'm actually thinking it was probably last year that I read it. But god only knows old it was by the time I got my hands on a copy. I can't remember any character names.

The stuff that comes to mind is a their meeting in the rain after what I'm pretty sure was a hit gone wrong, the fact that he set her up in an apartment, becomes pretty much obsessed with her and though he wants to leave her alone because he's to jaded for her, he's fallen hard. He constantly checks up on her at the bar/nightclub where he got her the job coz as time goes on he can't stay away from her, the visits to her little apartment, the falling asleep cuddling on the sofa before any sex happens. I also think he wants to get out start fresh with the heroine, but is certain that with his past he won't be allowed to "live free" and he expects that he'll get knocked off himself. I'm thinking it may have been a Samhain/Ellora's Cave type book as I can't imagine Harlequin or the like having a real criminal hero.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 9:26:30 AM PDT
Have you looked at Death Angel: A Novel by Linda Howard?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 9:33:28 AM PDT
Booker says:
I found this list on Goodreads. Maybe one of the books is what you are looking for.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshelf/29443-dangerous-hero-addict-support-group?shelf=assassin-hero

http://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshelf/29443-dangerous-hero-addict-support-group?shelf=tortured-hero

Also, a thread here on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=TxIQ8HEIMT5Q7K

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:23:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 3:44:31 PM PDT
Neeta says:
Nope it's none of the ones mentioned above. I did find a few interesting ones on those threads though and have added them to my wishlist, so thanks for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 3:19:27 PM PDT
slbett says:
Anybody figure it out yet?
I've been following this thread because it sounds like a book I'd like to read.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:24:06 PM PDT
Neeta says:
nope, still looking

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:51:24 PM PDT
MoxieDame says:
Anne bishop has a series ...first book is invisible ring, oh I remember, the black jewel series. Surreal Diablo is a cousin of the main character, Saeten. She is an assassin and is woven in and out if the series. She was attracted to the cousin at some point shortly after either getting out of either foster care or moving around a lot...sorry I am a little vague on the details, it's been awhile. That is the closest I can think of.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:58:40 PM PDT
Neeta says:
No, not even close.... the one I want is a contemporary. No paranormal, witches, other time periods, not quite earth, etc. Just plain old present day, ordinary human beings, in a modern day city.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions