Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Have you judged a book by its cover?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:18:40 AM PST
I like the expression on her face - it shows some personality which most romance cover models do not. She looks like fun.

But that description is all kinds of wrong. Newly widowed + 5 years lusting sister in law = CREEPY WEASELS. Just what I wanted in a romance, a man with no capacity to grieve or feel deeply and a vulture heroine who is pleased her inconvenient sister dropped dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:23:12 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
Exactly!!....why would I want to start reading a book where I have already developed unsympathetic feelings towards the H/h?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:28:59 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
I did too....1-click, that is.

(I always had a crush on Magnum P.I. (Tom Selleck) My mom luuuuuvvvvvved him. and my dad actually looks a lot like him....mustache and all.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:29:49 AM PST
Miss kitty, my favorite line "Ash, who smells of the jungle and the cockpit," hmmmm I wonder exactly what type of cockpit he smells like?

Oh your in for such a treat watching Young Frankenstein for the first time :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60W__Pdk5Pc
Oh Sweet Mystery of Life at last I found you!!! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:33:33 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
HILARIOUS!!!!

Think my fav was the McMullett and the comment on the cover about if only Camaros had been invented!!!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 11:41:46 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
Enemies and Playmates

Just wondered where the rest of the woman was....looks like he is just embracing a torso and arms.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 11:50:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 11:53:18 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
Holding Out For a Hero

this isn't really that bad or anything....just looks like a wedding photo from one of them thar themed weddings. and the reception would be at Medieval Times.

A FAERIE FATED FOREVER
I guess faerie wings look like butterfly wings?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 2:44:47 PM PST
I hate it sometimes just when I am laughing at all the posts and life dares to interrupt good finds!

Yes! I laughed at the cockpit line as well. Something tells me he is an all virile Manly McManlinson Hero.
By the way, I plan on singing 'Sweet Mystery of Life' to my future intended... maybe even use it at a coffee shop for a pick up line.... heh heh... or better yet, my favourite line from a total Alpha hero, "So, you comin' or what?" I about died laughing... so smooth!

Anybody lookin' to get Godsmacked! ?

Excerpts include:

"And the loudest of these was the mighty timbre of that great being widely revered today as the one true God I Am; otherwise known as Yahweh; Allah; The Alpha and The Omega; Big Daddy; the Boss; and, among other things, El Capitan.
And God said:
'Everybody shut the hell up! I'm trying to find the light switch here.' " I will joke about Amazon but not mess with jokes about 'El Capitan'.

"And roughly thirteen billion years later, Steve Finkle secured himself a date for the first time in two years, seven months and three days. thereby setting in motion the chain of events that would lead directly to the end of the known universe, the apocalypse itself;.." This is why I turned down Viggo Mortensen when he asked me out. I knew it would be cataclysmic like that and I didn't want to be responsible for the earth's changes.

"Steve didn't have much success in courting the fairer sex. In fact, since his girlfriend walked out on him two years earlier to elope with a semi-successful self-help guru, Steve hadn't had any kind of sex at all, fair or otherwise."
Fair or otherwise?

"Steve felt so much fitter that morning, in fact, that he even decided to shower and shave despite having done so two days earlier".
Uh...Steve... I think I know why now you haven't had 'fair or otherwise'.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:44:09 PM PST
Well, I did a bit of a search and found this lovely web site of the 15 Manliest ***I love how they spelled Manliest on the list btw*** Smells in the world.....and my stars original "Old Spice" made the list....Leaves me puzzled why "Brute" didn't make the list :D
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/23/15-manly-smells/

I always have a snicker to myself in my romance books when I read about his manly scent....I think to myself Oh God not the BO again hehe

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 5:16:01 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
Hmm, maybe I should burst into Oh Sweet Mystery of Life next time my husband and I are, umm, being friendly. :-)

And, hey, If Hawk walked up and said that to me, it would have worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 5:31:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 5:40:14 PM PST
D. Stom, Love them...I posted these before on here but they are definitely worth a second look.....Just for self-amusement I go back to them occasional just to giggle myself silly:
http://worldoflongmire.com/features/romance_novels/
http://worldoflongmire.com/features/romance_novels/readers_covers.htm
Longmire covers some of the covers you covered hehehe
Edit:
Oh and one more they used to have a contest for purple prose.....My what fun
http://www.likesbooks.com/ppppageindex.html

Here is an excerpt:
"He could feel her tensing within, and then her quivering little flutters of satisfaction as she crowned the head of his manhood with her own sweet honeyed libations of pleasure. The warmth of it sent him out of control, and his own love juices burst forth in greater measure, searing her hidden garden with an intensity of ecstasy. . . ."
"I could not allow anyone else. . .to plow a furrow in your love fields, my darling"

"Your love juices have begun to flow, sweetheart."

Author: Beatrice Small

Sweet Mystery of Life indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 5:55:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 5:55:21 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
wow....wonder how long your post will last with that excerpt? lol
I'm not telling....
(I'm doing my best Brittany Murphy impression from that movie, "Don't Say A Word")

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:08:57 PM PST
Erin Lowell says:
@ Gator Girl
For the 'Enemies and Playmates', was there even a bodyshoulder for those arms? I tried to squint but maybe my eyes failed me.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:11:00 PM PST
Gator, I was feeling a bit left out...soooo thought I would try to join you and Miss Kitty in the potty mouth club! haha

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:40:33 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
It is the PMC!

anyone is welcome....we do not discriminate. our inspiration are the thousands of romance novels that we devour on a regular basis....of course we have branched out by regularly making snide remarks and observations of book covers. hmmmm....will have to think on our motto and mission statement. get back to ya tomorrow...but suggestions are welcome.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 10:32:10 PM PST
Much like Batman, I saw the PMC in the sky and I came when summoned!
I will follow where you want this thread to lead. I think what some people miss is that I do buy some to give them a chance even if the cover is a little off and joking about them is just letting off some steam.

Sometimes we walk The Narrow Path and it can be hard.

I read this excerpt, I know a lot of people seemed to like the book and even though I read all genres and like old fashioned romance, too, certain things make me right nuts and a hero blushing so red because she moves and there is a glimpse of a bra strap showing is a bit much for me. I have extended cousins who are Mennonite and if the character is so traditional in his speech patterns and lifestyle (never having shaken a woman's hand) I kind of doubt he would own a car in the first place.

The cover did make me laugh because it reminded me of those zany 80s/90s sitcoms with laugh tracks where they would put two opposite roommates together and the ads would usually be a back to back pose.
Anyone remember 'Perfect Strangers'? All I could think of when I saw this was Balki for some reason.

Gator, whichever way you want this to go, I will stop with my smart alecky posts and follow your lead.
___
TravelingGal, Hawk wouldn't have to say anything for some mattress wrestlin' time, if ya' know what I mean ;) Those KA heroes really have turned me into an eTramp! Let us know how the serenading works with your husband... I am sure we could suggest song titles, too! :D

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 5:58:49 AM PST
Erin Lowell says:
I enjoy laughing as I stalk your discussions so I grab the opportunity to join when presented.

The Reluctant Lady (Regency Escapades)

Is it just me who cannot make sence of this cover? I mean is that her head? I guessed that could be a turban but whose arms are those around the head?
I read the book discription and it was intriquing that I took a second look at the cover only to have my head turning up and down to make sense of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 7:49:58 AM PST
Bukcrz, It kinda has a Flashdance head gear feel to....1980s anyone? I wonder if she has leg warmers on? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 7:54:54 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
oh.....I say we allow the thread to follow whatever path is presented. I will continue to put up book covers, because I get inspiration when I check the "Free today" thread. There is just too much out there to ignore.

But I am not so strict that I become a DVF or report anyone if the discussion naturally goes off-track. It usually will come back around...so no problem. May we enjoy ourselves..and DO NOT hold back from being a smart aleck or sarcastic. I love it......

the same thought came to me about Perfect Strangers with that Narrow Path cover. and please give a definition of what an eTramp is....I may unknowingly be one!!! Is getting a post deleted by Ammy for questionable content a requirement? Because I have like two of those...punch my card, thank you. Wonder what I win if my whole card gets punched. (I think Ammy should send you an email letting you know why your post was deleted.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:08:09 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
yeah....the turban/flashdance thing on her head is distracting. It looks like she needs to be "reluctant" about trying to pull that style off....lol.

I did 1-click that one even though there were no reviews. Want to see if this author is really as good as this:
Alicia Rasley -- who incidentally now offers creative writing tips and guidelines at her website-- has an impeccable writing style. Her word choices and turns of phrase are near-perfect, and she has a knack for evoking just the right mood in a given scene, whether it be adventurous, humorous or passionate. She also has an excellent sense of pacing and timing.
Nonesuch Reviews

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:48:10 AM PST
Here's one for us:
Don't Feed the Fairies (The Cytolene Chronicles Book 1)
Is it a BOB (battery operated boyfriend) or a spaceship? hmm

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:54:16 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
lol....you have joined us in the gutter E.B.!!

did you read the description? it's got too much going on for me....but it does have 4 and 5 star reviews and seems to be part of a series.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 9:18:20 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
Playing the Game

this cover plus the description made me giggle:What would happen if the "priest" of basketball, the man most admired by all dedicated superstar athletes, Barry Dennis, met his match?
And his match was a woman?
He gets taken down a peg by a woman in the habit of taking men down a peg. She's been accused of murder because of her habit.
Roxanne didn't set out to figure what made the superstar tick,
but she finds out.
Playing the Game: about more than a ball

It's that last line....Playing the Game: about more than a ball
thanks for clearing that up for me....I was wondering. hehe

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 9:29:38 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
Kissed in Paris

Nice cover..no problem. Even an interesting enough of a description....I did 1-click it. But it does sound similar to the movie, French Kiss, with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan. (I really like that movie...so this book's story line seems a little unoriginal to me.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 9:33:20 AM PST
Gator....A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!!
It was a bit much for me as well...I didnt do my one click thingy lol
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 62 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 10 days ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 5088 19 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4322 22 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 881 33 minutes ago
Fans of k-dramas... please help 5299 1 hour ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 2164 1 hour ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 2038 2 hours ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 1964 3 hours ago
Biker Romance Part 2 7035 3 hours ago
heroine kidnaps hero romances?? 21 3 hours ago
Alpha H falls in love with Single Mom 9 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  1531
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2012
Latest post:  27 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions