Customer Discussions > Romance forum

*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA ***

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 5:02:39 AM PST
DoraLady says:
Bill,

After taking your course, I hope you can just sit back and enjoy a good romance book again.

I remember back in college, after having taken a logics course, psyc course and a humanities course of Love and marriage; I read everything differently. I remember reading SWEET SAVAGE LOVE by Rosemary Rogers after that and disecting every thought process, every action. After reading the series, and some of Judith Krantz (I think she wrote scruples), which turned me off romance for awhile. I just could not read the novels on the surface. Even now 25+ years later, I still focus on the emotional aspects of the characters, why they do what they do etc.

Nothing is black and white for me.

As for logic, I try not to argue to much, LOL.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 7:19:57 AM PST
Hi everyone- have been reading just been so busy- we signed papers on our house this week, so been busy. We have been living here for 2 years, and the landlord sold it to us on land contract. We don't have to put any money down- he said the rent we paid was our down payment. So, we have our own house and don't have to move lol- that's the best part.
I read a MAdeline Hunter book- the one where the heroine accidently shoots the hero- was that Relentless in Red? If so, I loved it. The last few days, I finished "Gone Too Far" by Suzanne Brockmann. I thought Sam and alyssa's story was next on my TBR shelf, but it was that one. Oh, well. i'll get to it eveentually. It was still good. Also finished "Holiday Grind" by Cleo Coyle. It's a coffeeshop cozy mystery- very good as always. Right now I am reading "The body in the Bouillon" by Katherhine Hall Page- culinary cozy mystery- all these are very good.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 8:00:11 AM PST
smccoy says:
Bill,
I can understand your dislike of the book even though it's my favorite. It's interesting to see that p.o.v. I love the book for the story, maybe since for me it has over the top angst and that's what I love in the books I read. The sex could be non-existent for me and I will love a great angsty emotional read. I do agree there is too much sex in this book, want to roll my eyes, sometimes it is appropriate for the story. There are a lot of times I skim through the love scenes to get back to the story. It's about time to read this one again, so I will definitely be thinking of your review of it.
Pam,
I am about to go crazy with this weather. When spring actually comes I am going to be outdoors quite a bit. I guess there will be lots of flowers around our house this year, I am planning to go crazy with them. Hopefully this summer will warm enough for the apples to grow and the tomatoes to grow also!
Shelby

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 9:17:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2010 10:54:54 AM PST
Books & More says:
Hi all,

I have bought Persuation.
I am copying the letter written by the hero below to the heroine.. What an outstanding most beautiful letter I have read.

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. - Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in
F.W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening, or never"

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 10:23:55 AM PST
Anna:

Wow...that was a very powerful letter. I have seen the movie but I have never read the book.
Pam

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 10:26:37 AM PST
Shelby:
You live in Nebraska..right? Your winter has been soooo much worse than mine and I feel abused by the weather. LOL
If I planted flowers ....they would have a short life. LOL Not to mention the extreme Texas heat we get and NOTHING can survive for long...especially in my yard!!!!!
Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 10:50:23 AM PST
smccoy says:
Pam,
yes i do, and I have to take very good care of the flowers since usually, not last year, it gets pretty hot in the summer. Usually 95-100 streaks in July-August. Even 105 sometimes. The humidity sometimes gets really high, so we stay indoors on days like that. I cant imagine Texas, that has to be brutal,LOL
Anyways, yes, spring is going to be wonderful(if it's not filled with tornadoes or bad storms).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 11:23:44 AM PST
T. Smith says:
Pam, I have found a type of bed flower that survives the hot OK summers. I've mainly seen them called tropicals. Not the big hibsicus types, but smaller with lots of different colors in the flowers. In fact if I plant them too early, I can lose a good amout of them and have to replace them due to a late cold snap. I can usually find them at Home Depot.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:00:24 PM PST
Bill Bee says:
Dora, I don't think learning about how a novel is constructed will dampen my enjoyment of romance or any other genre. Usually if I want to analyze a book I have to read it twice and analyze it the second time. I get really caught up in a good story and can't deconstruct a book while I am reading it for pleasure. Bill

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 3:03:14 PM PST
Susan says:
C'mon guys. I'm sitting here looking out my door and seeing nothing but white. We've had about 60 inches of snow this year and my least favorite months are coming up--late winter/early spring, nothing but cold breezes and mud!!! On the bright side, my kids built some pretty nice snow forts...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:12:34 PM PST
Bill Bee says:
Shelby, I love angst too. That is why I read Mary Balogh. But the angst in Again the Magic seemed self-inflicted. As to the sex in the book - I don't know how you can get away from it. LOL! When the heroine, her sister, the hero and his business partner weren't actually having sex they were standing around quivering with their need to do so. Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:17:04 PM PST
Bill Bee says:
Pam, Read Persuasion. It is wonderful. Most of the time it is my favorite Jane Austen book. And that is saying something considering it competes with P & P, S & S and Emma.

Anna: Thanks for copying over Wentworth's letter. It is one of the most powerful love letters in literature.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:24:09 PM PST
Books & More says:
Bill Bee,
I bought Persuation just for this letter!
I Love It!!!
She described perfectly a person in love living in agony and hope.
I wish many authors would describe feelings of longing and love like that. We would hold our breath for so long before we would be ready to exhale...
Anna

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:45:11 PM PST
DoraLady says:
Bill,

It is good that you can read just for the enjoyment. When I read romance books, I analyze the behaviours, to see if they are realistic based on their personal experiences.

Even humours books like THE BRIDE by Julie Garwood and The Viscount who Loved Me by Julia Quinn I analyze the behaviours of the H/h. Somehow, I think I see more angst while reading; and on the other extreme, I have more compassion or at least understanding for a wounded hero/heroine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:47:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2010 4:17:34 PM PST
DoraLady says:
Susan,

'I feel for you, since we usually get a lot of snow. Usually in March. This has been a very mild winter in the Montreal area. Kids are on March break now. Last week I was telling some one we needed snow. If no snow, no sledding, no skiing.

ETA

Susan,

Go outside and throw some snowballs. Lay on the snow and make some angels. Think positive. As long as the power does not go out, you have enough groceries and you do not have to go out, it is not that bad.

I remember one year going out to clean off my car and the snow was upto my thighs. I did not make it to work that day. Work did not have much snow but we did. The snow plows completely snowed us in.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 4:01:10 PM PST
Susan:

What state are you in?
Pam

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 4:05:13 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2010 6:07:17 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 4:22:06 PM PST
DoraLady says:
Pam,

Intresting about your plants. I thought once you get to warmer zones, that as long as you plant the high zone number plants you will be OK. I was thinking along with the same plants like in Florida. Trees like gardinias etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 4:23:26 PM PST
DoraLady says:
Anna,

Sorry to hear about your day.

I hope tomorrow is better.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 4:26:58 PM PST
DoraLady says:
I finally figured out which book I will be reading:

Highland Scoundrel by Monica McCarty.

It does not fit my Lifetime Challenge, but I will use it for the M for A-Z, which means that one of my Lifetime Challenge book will not be used for both Lifetime and A-Z challenge.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 4:41:36 PM PST
DoraLady says:
I will watch the figure skating gala on the computer CTVolympics.ca I am disappointed it is not on TV.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 4:51:00 PM PST
smccoy says:
Hi Bill,
I'm sorry you really disliked the book so much. We will have to agree to disagree on this book. I didn't see that they were in the constant quivering need to have sex state. I felt there was an actual story there and a different story from so many of the others that are just re-told over and over again and that's why I love it. It's just a story which I enjoy and I don't anylize it too much or I wouldn't enjoy most of the ones I really like,LOL. I also love Mary Balogh, I have read many of her books and love the depth of emotion she puts into them. I bought the new, Dark Angel which I haven't read before. Some of her older ones are keepers for me. If you get around to reading Silent Melody, I would like to know what you think, that's my favorite of hers.
Wish we had the weather you are having there. It looks like the week ahead will at least be a sunny one with no snow. I've been dying to get out and start something, whatever it is, I don't care as long as it's out of the house.
Take care,
Shelby

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 5:21:21 PM PST
that sucks! its on here on NBC (or at least is supposed to be based on the description for the broadcast today)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 5:24:31 PM PST
Cathleen--Congradulations on your new house. How fortunate you are not to move! You won't have the excuse that "I lost my book box in the move." How wonderful that the owner took the rent for the down payment. Best wishes on your new home!

Although Florida doesn't have snow, the unbearable cold days are almost as yucky as the winters in Boston! My job includes at least half a day outside which is usually a joy, but not this year. However, I do have a begonia that has sported bright yellow flowers on my lanai all winter! Can't explain esp. since I forget to water it. Think the huge ficus is gone, but my avacado forest (I grow them from the seeds after eating) is flourishing.

Went to the annual library book sale today. After several false starts, arrived after 12:00 just in time to hear the announcement that the price of any bag full of books is $3.00! There were a gazillion books left & more in unpacked boxes. Went balistic! Filled two huge bags from the enormous tables filled with romances. My justified smuggness was tempered by my traffic boo-boo on the way home. If there was a traffic camera on that pole, I should get a $90 citation in the mail. It was raining & I was behind a huge truck & therefore, couldn't see the light, your honor! That will teach me to be complacent in my bargains!

Started one of the books from my bag--Katherine Sutcliffe's Devotion. Think I will like Maria although haven't meet the hero yet. Understand he has somewhat of a mental/physical problem. Can hardly wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 5:41:57 PM PST
smccoy says:
Catheryne,
Sorry about your day, hope you don't get a ticket. Those library sales are fun. Just the hunt is exciting!
Maybe there a quite a lot of books that you will really like in those bags.
I am finishing up watching Elisa di Rivombrosa on youtube. I want to start watching the one that comes after this one, so I'm trying to figure out what is going on,LOL. K helped me out by explaining the basic plot and what the heck is going on in Italian. On Goodreads there is a thread about the sequel to this series, so I am anxious to find out what happens in the end with EDR.
I read Ravishing in Red and liked it. Read Bliss and really liked that one. Not too much into reading tonight or probably tomorrow. After such a reading binge I have to just do something else for a few days,LOL
Hope it stops raining there, yuck! The snow here is starting to melt with the temps in the higher 30's and sunshine everyday(woohoo!) so that is better than rain or definitely snow. Just got my car back after accident in January from someone rear-ending me and then my 15 yr. old got his driver's permit and turned the wheel coming out of the garage and scraped the side of my car, so that will have to go back in. I told him he's learning and at least it wasn't another car! We were on our way to school on monday and I didn't want him to feel so terrible all day. My older son wasn't interested in driving, so that was just fine. He learned eventually, just a few months before he got his license. My younger one is going through driver's ed this summer,LOL.
O.k. will stop boring you and have a great Sunday and week ahead!
Shelby
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 314 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  238
Total posts:  7844
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2010
Latest post:  37 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions