Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fans of k-dramas... please help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:19:27 PM PST
duhfish says:
As an avid romance novel reader I absolutely find watching Thai dramas as the equivalent of watching it played out on television. For those who tend to like more cutesy romance or sad with some jealousy and drama, then in my opinion go for Korean drama. But for those like those bodice ripper type romance books with an alpha male and mad drama that sometimes is way off from being politically correct go for the Thai dramas. It's super satisfying because there's more detail than want a regular movie can provide being that a movie is usually limited to an hour an a half to two hours. But unlike soap operas in the West these dramas have an ending where there usually is HEA. Youtube has so many of these dramas English subbed that access to it is pretty easy, only find the title.

My favorites are such as Sawan Biang, a bodice ripper complete with an jealous, spoiled alpha male, and a innocent yet good and spunky heroine. There's slapping and kissing aplenty, with kidnapping and rape, and even a baby. Many can be turned off by this , but this review is for those that happen to like this so no judgements please.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:59:16 PM PST
Jae says:
Adnana
I doe love Kdramas too..i feel they are extremely well written although sometimes unrealistic..Secret Garden i think is one of the best kdramas so it is a hard act to follow :-( so i will just recommend my favorite kdramas (they might not be similar to "secret garden" but they are still great dramas :-) "boys over flower" "you are beautiful" "city hall" and "family's honor"
I would recommend also recommend "summer's desire" it is taiwanese and more angsty than "secret garden" H is extremely wealthy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 10:14:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 2:36:13 PM PDT
Adnana says:
Re: Secret Garden
"So cute how he reverted back to his arrogant self and h was all very nonchalant, so sure that he would remember their love."
Yes, it was just soooo funny when, after the H lost his memory, he saw her house again for the first time. And he had this really pained expression and the heroine said that she wasn't sure whether this was a good or a bad thing, but he definitely was a consistent guy. ;)

Re: Beautiful Days
I've been watching a lot of this drama, so I'm already at the part where the H has just learned his father's secret and had THE DISCUSSION with the h. So awful!
Some of my thoughts so far: I'm really happy that there wasn't a full-fledged love triangle with the h, that she only ever loved the hero and was commited to him, in her mind, practically from the first. I want the H to be crazy in love and possessive of the h, but, by that same token, I want the h to be just as devoted to the H.
I loved that the h was so honest about her feelings and that even though the H wasn't very expressive towards her, she trusted her instincts about knowing what was in his heart and thus she wouldn't hear anything bad about the H. I hate it when the h is easily swayed in her loyalty to the H!
HOWEVER: I kind of did wish that the H had been even the least bit more expressive (though he does ice-cold and unruffled so well!!). He was such a closed book! So ok, there were sufficient instances when he betrayed his feelings -- like, in the beginning, when he kept pointing out to his brother that the h was a year older than Sun-Jae (and thus uneligible as a potential love interest). Or after his brother told him he really liked the h, he violently slammed the lid of his laptop shut. I was very excited when he saw that text message about his brother wanting to meet the h at the bus stop after work, so he kidnapped her instead in his car and took her away. And he said something like: it has to be today, because otherwise it may be too late.
But then, when I saw how he treated his brother, and heard his brother's suspicions, I did wonder if there was a little bit of one-upmanship to Min-Chul's actions. I began to dread that Min-Chul really wasn't that emotionally involved with the h after all. Examples: he wouldn't defend her to the store manager, just stood there and watched while she was being mistreated; after she didn't show to their date with his sister and he found her with Sun-Jae, he cut all ties with her so easily! Like the h said, if he had really loved her, he would have WANTED to hear her out and be convinced to forgive her. And, worst: after Sun-Jae hears about the engagement, he asks Min-Chul why he is doing this, if he really loves the h. And Min-Chul replies "Maybe not as much as someone" (meaning his brother)
So what did you think of the H's actions?

ETA: *spoilers*I'm now at the part where he finally comes looking for her again. WTH? He had to find out she was ill in order to want to be with her again? And I'm supposed to believe that he loves her? I almost feel like he came back to her because Narae told him the h needed him, so he took pity on her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:13:15 AM PST
I absolutely love My lovely Sam Soon the hero of Secret Garden comes out in it
it's the drama that launched his career I recommend you that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 1:01:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2014 6:34:33 AM PST
Adnana says:
Michael Mariano,
Thank you for recommending "Summer's Desire", it totally blew me away -- and this comes from someone who, usually, absolutely hates love triangles. Though I was still frustrated by the depth of the heroine's relationship with the 2nd male lead, especially since it left so little time where I got to see her together with the true Hero, the two men in this drama were both fabulous. Of course, I prefer Ou Chen; he embodies perfectly my personal ideal of a (fictional) hero.
Do any of the other dramas you mentioned have this kind of hero?

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 3:11:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2012 3:11:34 PM PST
Usagi7777777 says:
Adnana,

Not many heroes can compete with Ou Chen when it comes to devotion, obsessiveness, and resolve. He's one of the few heroes who never weakened in his determination to go after the heroine -he knows what he wants and will never do anything to jeopardize it once he has what he wants. He'd never break up with her over petty jealousy/discontentment nor would he demand more than she can give. His love for her is truly unconditional. The tv series is completely based on a famous Chinese book trilogy (has the same name, only it's in Chinese) by author Ming Xiao Xi. Those were the first Chinese books I've read and it totally blew me away. Not only was the writing and story execution amazing, both main leads were exceptional. The main girl, Pao Mo, is one of the most awesome heroines I've ever come across in fiction -she's so calm/levelheaded and loves her brother the most (family's the most important to her). Not to mention she has so much self-respect. I loved her as much as I loved Elizabeth Bennet from P&P and that's saying something. The books get all the credit for introducing such unforgettable characters -I was so obsessed with Ou Chen. Even tho the guy who played him in the tv series totally nailed the part, he technically doesn't look the part since Ou Chen from the books is actually half European and exuded such old-world elegance in his mannerisms. It's very rare in fiction that such a character can be so dependent/fixated on a girl, to the point where she is both his life-line as well as his curse (his butler often calls her that). Even memory loss couldn't prevent him from becoming captivated/obsessed with her all over again when they reunited. This story was also made into a manga series called "Show Princess." I just wanted you to know that both tv series/manga came from the books because they deserve all the recognition.

Also, if you want to watch another worthwhile drama with a hero similar in obsessiveness/devotion, watch "Meteor Garden." IMO, tho there's so many versions of this story taken from the original Japanese comic series, "Meteor Garden" (Taiwanese version) best captures the emotional resonance of the story and is the most faithful. The main guy is so crazy for the girl even tho she didn't like him at all in the beginning and would stop at nothing to be with her. He's says that without her, he doesn't even have the strength to breathe. This entire drama captured my heart even tho its production quality/acting isn't the best compared to the Japanese version. But the incredible chemistry btw leads and other characters, execution/pacing of storyline as well as faithfulness to the original comic books made this one of my favorite dramas of all time -it's simply unforgettable. If you haven't watched any versions yet, I hope you'll start with this one and fall for the characters the way I did. Also, if you watch this, do not ever watch the sequel (Meteor Garden 2) since it was only made to ride on the success of the first and they didn't have enough storyline from the books (the manga had yet to end back then) so they made up their own which totally ruined the first series. The main guy was no longer in character so I didn't even acknowledge the horror of a sequel.
So all in all, if you want to see another drama with a hero who can contend with Ou Chen in terms of unconditional love, watch Meteor Garden 1, but ignore Meteor Garden 2, since the story did technically end in the first one anyway.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 3:33:32 PM PST
cbela says:
hyun bin actor frm sgarden... dramas great! i can rewatch them... "lovely sam soon"...(romance comedy) heroine frm city hall...."snow queen"...(fairytale...hero feels guilty blames for past change name life to boxer).
"love story in havard!!! which star are you from" actor kim rae won.
"49 days"..."city hunter". romance suspense.

devil besides you. why why love. autumn concerto. tw drama

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:19:37 PM PST
My faves:

K-dramas--Boys Over Flowers, 49 days (tissue warning), Personal Preference, Shining Inheritance, CIty Hunter.

J-dramas--Hana Yori Dango.

T-dramas--It Started With a Kiss and sequel, Fated to Love You, My Lucky Star.

Right now I'm watching: Padam, Padam and Skip Beat! Both are very good so far.

Some facts about HanaYoriDango/Boys Over Flowers: It was originally a magna that was loosely based on Pride and Prejudice. Hana Yori Dango literally translates to Boys Before/Over Flowers. It is a play on an old Japanese saying "Dumplings over Flowers" which means when it comes to something important (like love) always choose something of substance over something that is pretty but wilts quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 5:26:32 PM PST
Does 49 Days have a HEA? I have avoided watching because I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that it had a sad ending? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:11:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2014 6:36:44 AM PST
Adnana says:
Hui Chi,
I'm very happy to hear from another person who loved "Summer's Desire" and Ou Chen. I became very invested in this story and absolutely fascinated by the hero; I wasn't joking when I said he is the one character (in fiction) who I found closest to my idea of a perfect man/husband. I love how incredibly devoted and obsessed with Xia Mo he was and that, like you said, he would never ever give her up (unless when it seemed that giving her up was the only way to ensure her happiness -- and what a terrible struggle that was!). Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's fabulously wealthy and handsome. BTW, was I the only one who found it sexy to finally see a rich hero who is actually rich in his own right? -- not mama's or papa's little boy, financially dependent upon them and thus completely at the behest of their wims, like it is so often the case in the dramas I've seen.
Regarding the books: I had already done some research, so I knew about them; I would happily read the books if they were available in English. I did manage to get my grubby little hands on some fan-made translations of the LETTER, the airport scene and the epilogue which was published later. As you've read the books, would you mind telling me if, in the books, the Xiao Cheng movie was Luo Xi's idea? Because, in the drama, it was Ou Chen's idea, as part of his plan to reawaken Xia Mo to life. Also, did you get the feeling that, in the end, Xia Mo truly loved Ou Chen more than Luo Xi, or did she only stay with him because they were married and because of the baby?
Some last thoughts, regarding the cast: I thought that the 3 main actors were extremely convincing as the characters that they portrayed. I was especially impressed by Peter Ho, who I gather has a sunny, laid-back personality in real life, and yet in the drama he was so intense and dark. He played the scarily possessive, driven Ou Chen to perfection. And I thought he was very handsome, I liked him way better than the Luo Xi actor, though intelectually I realize that Huang Xiao Ming is prettier. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:18:21 AM PST
Adnana says:
Regarding your recommendation for "Meteor Garden": I had actually decided NOT to watch this drama, because I had heard that the heroine was wishy-washy, undecided for way too long and thus annoying.
So I already watched the Japanese "Hana Yori Dango" (thought it was ok, but nothing special) and was also going to watch the Korean "Boys Over Flowers", but I planned on skipping the Taiwanese version. Needless to say, after your recommendation (and the comparison with Ou Chen), the next drama I'll be watching is now going to be "Meteor Garden" (the first season only, lol). I hope I'll love it as much as you did.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:30:34 AM PST
readtoomuch says:
Ok, I am not that big a fan of korean dramas or miniseries because in high school and college, all my Korean friends would force me to watch with them before I could eat any of their mom's delicious foods BUT during my freshman year of college, there was one drama that I really enjoyed and hooked me in so much I was eagerly waiting for more k-dramas to watch. Unfortunately, nothing compared (too much angst and no hea) and so I lost interest. Anyway, the name of the one and only kdrama that I would recommend to anyone and everyone is "Star in My Heart" with Ahn Jae Wook (H) and Choi Jin-sil (h) that came out in 1997. There were no subtitles back then, but it hooked me in so much, that I learned Korean so that when I watched it again I could understand everything and I liked it even more. My friend's mom gave me the VHS tapes she recorded the episodes on and I still have a VCR so that I can watch it. Honestly, I'm sighing as I think about "Star in My Heart" as I type.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:43:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 8:47:41 PM PST
Usagi7777777 says:
Adnana,

I never read the very end of "Summer's Desire," stopping near the end of the last book. They had consummated their marriage and the story was really winding down and started dragging; plus I was already very satisfied by how everything turned out, tho my heart really did ache for Luo Xi despite liking Ou Chen much more -loved how everyone referred to him as "Shao Ye" or "Master," really giving him an air of command. So, I didn't read about Xiao Cheng dying and the movie. But I have heard that it was Luo Xi's idea for the movie and that she won a best actress award. But that movie really reawakened her desire to continue with life and it was like she went through a reincarnation. Before, she had given all her love to Xiao Cheng (both brother and sister loved one another the most), having pretty much been both a sister and a mother to him. His death resulted in her ability to start over and focus all her love onto Ou Chen and their baby -family was always the most important to her, so they're her family now without Xiao Cheng. Although I loved Xiao Cheng, I can't deny that his presence gets in the way of Ou Chen and Xia Mo's relationship since he has pretty much all of Xia Mo's love -she's just incapable of giving her all to Ou Chen as long as Xiao Cheng's alive. It's like no one can get past the barrier that brother/sister created -that's just another quality/flaw I love about Xiao Mo (her brother always had way more value/importance than any man) since it's so refreshing. Even tho Ou Chen can get past that fact (not being her #1), which is another reason why he's so suitable for Xia Mo, I really wanted more for him since he so deserves it after all he's been through and the all-consuming love he feels for her -she's his whole world. Her brother's passing released his hold on her and she was then able to transfer all her affection to Ou Chen as well as their baby. By then, she loved him way more than she ever loved Luo Xi since she's now able to give the huge chunk previously only reserved for Xiao Cheng to Ou Chen. In the epilogue she even told Ou Chen that he's silly to be wary of Luo Xi since he's her world now. Their baby will grow older and leave them eventually. So really, they're now each other's everything. Of course, Ou Chen being the man he is, actually wanted the baby to love her the most since he understood how much she prized family. But he's her family now too.

And yes, I also really loved the fact that Ou Chen was financially independent and was his own master -I love a guy who has all the control; only the main girl can tear him down, grin. Nowadays in a rich guy poor girl scenario, I want the guy to have all the power over his finances so I can avoid parents-opposing drama -soo sick of that plot device. The author of this story didn't need "parents-interfering" drama to create a full fledged passionate love story. IMO, the biggest obstacle to characters getting together should be the involved characters themselves, not parents or outside forces that have nothing to do with the romance plotline.

I'm so glad you're going to watch "Meteor Garden," as it's truly one of THE dramas that captured my heart. It didn't start a fever all over Asia for nothing. I was never annoyed with the main girl because she really was initially in love with the second guy, so I understood her confusion over who she really loved. Besides, the main guy practically forces his affections onto her and really gave her no room to think/breathe. He's just that aggressive and direct about his feelings which is another reason he's so well loved as a fictional leading male. I really respected the main girl for initially liking the guy who actually treated her well over the one who tormented and was a total jerk to her -much better than girls who fall for their abusers. So to me, he deserved all the suffering he got after he fell so hard and had to really work for her affections, because he ain't getting it easy, lol. And boy did he work his butt off for pretty much the whole drama in order to get the "I love you" he'd been dying for from her. Love the "arrogant a-hole getting his comeuppance by falling hard for the main girl esp. if he treated her badly" scenario!

Also, I loved the friendship btw the F4 (also best version when it came to chemistry btw the guys) as well as the chemistry btw the three main leads. I can only say I was completely enraptured at the time and I hope you'll be able to care/connect with them as much as I did. Just be aware that it's an older drama (came out in 2001) and it doesn't have the best production (esp. compared to the Japanese/Korean versions) quality or acting (besides the girl, all the guys were newbies chosen more for their look/feel to their character counterparts, but it worked so well because of how well they fit their characters and their connection/chemistry with one another). Also, all the guys besides the 2nd male lead looked downright awful at first glance. But the lead male (he's actually really hot) later changes his hair and looks so handsome. So hang in there and watch the whole thing through before passing judgement. Hopefully you'll be able to connect/get into the drama and that will make up for all its faults. Because bottom line is, if a drama's able to hook you/pull you into its world, then you can pretty much forgive it for almost anything. It's only when you're not into a drama where you're able to become distracted by its flaws and nitpick/analyze while watching. So, hopefully you'll get hooked and get as much pleasure/enjoyment as I did. But at least you haven't seen any other versions besides the Japanese one which was too short and skipped many scenes, so you'll really be getting the whole manga story by watching this version.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:36:56 PM PST
reader123...no, it doesn't. :( But it was AMAZING!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:30:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 11:36:35 PM PST
Jae says:
@adana
I am so glad you liked it..i would agree that Meteor Garden would be a good watch but I liked the korean version Boys Over Flower better :-)
I love obsessive H so I love watching dramas with such characters..I have also been trying to look for one who is as well written and perfectly obsessive as Ou Chen though but here are some recom:

Korean
What Happened In Bali - one of my favorite dramas of all time super angsty..defintely not HEA but if you decide to watch it pls try not to read the spolilers
Loving You- an average drama but i love the fact that the H really was so inlove with h

p.s
loved BEAUTIFUL DAYS too :-)

would try to think of more suggestions..:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:04:29 AM PST
Adnana says:
Sorry, I already read spoilers about "What Happened in Bali" and I now believe I can never watch it. The tragic ending would be bad enough, but the reason it comes about is even worse. After watching "Summer's Desire" and the strong, unwavering Ou Chen, I have very little tolerance for weak heroes who have never earned anything by themselves and depend for everything that they have on their family. And what's the deal with not being able to protect the woman you supposedly love and succumbing to threats to the point of irreversibly giving up that woman? Again, sorry for the rant, but I've already seen such a hero in "Spring Waltz" and was completely disgusted; I really doubt that I can stand another one in the near future.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 11:20:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 11:22:27 PM PST
Jae says:
i would have to agree with you that thr lead iin WHIB was Ou Chen's exact opposite..very weak and spineless...i think it was how the actor Jo In Sung played Jae min that made the character so endearing..Jae Min was not suppose to be likeable but Jo In Sung played the role so beautifully that i could not help but fall in love and feel sorry for him..
any recommendations for wealthy jealous/obsessed Hero novels...

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 11:31:52 PM PST
Jae says:
try:
Family's Honor-loved park shi hoo's character..he was a bit of a jerk in the beginning but he really showed his love for the h thru out the drama

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 11:57:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2012 11:59:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 3:05:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 3:43:07 AM PDT
Adnana says:
I really want to keep seeing strong heroes, who I can respect for being real men (not just mama's/papa's spoiled little boy), capable to confront life head-on and stand on their own two feet. Obviously, Ou Chen fulfilled this prerequisite to a T. Also:
*spoilers*
The hero in "Secret Garden", though he was initially quite spoiled and immature, in the end he stood up to his mother and by his decision to live his life with the woman he loved, even if it meant giving up his inheritance.
The hero in "Beautiful Days" was also very strong, he walked away from all his father's wealth because of his principles and then he made it on his own.
The strongest hero I've seen so far -- even when terribly conflicted and at odds with his 'father' -- was City Hunter. Such a fabulous drama and I couldn't have been more impressed with Lee Min Ho's portrayal of the title character. He's definitely more than just a pretty face (though he definitely has that in spades as well!). :))

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 3:25:51 AM PST
Jae says:
oh i think you will like the Hero in Family's Honor :-) the drama is a bit long but the Hero is indeed strong willed :-)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 11:19:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 11:20:06 AM PST
Usagi7777777 says:
Family Honor's a good one, only the entire drama's a little slow paced probably because it's a family drama with other side plots besides the leads main story. But the lead guy is very swoonsworthy (seriously, the actor played the 2nd male lead in 2 other dramas and ended up snatching the main girl both times, which is pretty much unheard of in kdramas) and totally in love/devoted to the main girl. They also have great chemistry!! Loved the lead girl's lady-like and noble persona. This music video made me watch the whole drama:

http://vimeo.com/17078323

Also, for another independent male lead who's crazy for the girl (besides MG I), I highly recommend "Down with love." The lead guy's the same one who's in MG (also plays the lead there) and in this drama, he's a brilliant lawyer (meaning totally independent without any parents to interfere with his decisions) who falls hard for our leading girl, whom he thinks is a lesbian. That certainly made for some hilarious scenes. I loved the drama for their relationship progression (so cute together) and his vulnerability/love for the girl, esp. at the thought that it was one-sided. Here's the ending theme vid (got so addicted to this song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnrBL6IlnI

There's an older extremely famous drama called "Winter Sonata" which featured the lead girl from "Beautiful Days" and a leading male who's known as one of the kings in kdramas. What made the drama amazing was their chemistry (the sole reason why this drama became so popular, capturing many viewers' hearts) and the leading guy's character/love for main girl. FYI, the guy here is also financially independent and strong in his own right, so no way does he depend on pappa/mamma for pocket money. Since you've watched "Beautiful Days," which was another older drama with Choi Ji Woo and loved it, you may love this as well. Here's an extremely unforgettable/cute scene btw them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2gtro0qC1E (whenever I hear the song, "Dancing Queen," I think of this scene)

In addition, I highly highly second Purse Monkey's recommendation for "Prince turned to Frog." Seriously, in terms of script/acting/chemistry btw leads/storyline/addictiveness, it wins hands down as the best Taiwanese drama of all time! This drama just gets better and better as it goes along. I was hooked right away, but many people had a problem with the first couple of episodes before the lead male loses his memories. But the best best parts are later when he regains his memories, forgets about the main girl, and ended up falling for her all over again -I also adored the parts where he lost his memories and was so incredibly sweet to the main girl. The two leads chemistry is one of the best I've ever seen in my history of drama watching, no joke. It was truly truly off the charts! If you ever decide to watch, please don't be put off by the cheesy beginning episodes cause it gets so much better later. This is one of the few Taiwanese dramas (so many feature popular singers/idols who can't act) that feature amazing lead actors -both play off each other so well with his grouchiness and her lively/quirkiness, plus the lead actor's amazing portrayal of two very different personalities. You can watch the drama on youtube by running a search on "prince turned into a frog."

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:47:19 PM PST
Jae says:
I think we all Fell in love with "summer's desire" i think it is my favorite Taiwanese drama :-) but I would love for it to have a Korean remake.....I think it will be a great remake coz' kdramas are great at angst....it would also be great if they showed more of how young Ou Chen and Shou Mo met and fell in love...

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 2:15:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 2:16:56 PM PST
Usagi7777777 says:
Jae,

That would be a dream come true if it's done right! I was disappointed with the Korean version of "Hana Yori Dango" after being so excited upon finding out there's going to be a korean version, since Kdramas have always been my favorite when it came to portraying romance, hands down. But, the only thing I liked about BOF was Lee Min Ho's acting. They made the lead girl into a clown (her monologues were the worst) and just tried too hard to be funny/over the top in order to differentiate itself from the 2 previous versions. Serious scenes were made too comical and it just didn't work for me.

But I know that when Koreans make a really good romance, it's the best ever (watched too many amazing Kdramas)! Their attention to detail when it comes to relationship progression and excellent production quality/acting is unmatched in my opinion. Plus, like you said, they're perfectly able to balance out angst with drama atmosphere for the most part -I call it Korean magic, lol. And with such an amazing love story like "Summer's Desire" with its awesome characters, a Kdrama version done right will be too too good to be true. That would be like the most epic on-screen love story ever!!!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 4:14:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 4:18:28 PM PST
Adnana says:
Re: a Korean remake of "Summer's Desire"
I really don't know, girls. I love the Taiwanese version so much and besides, in my mind, the three main actors have become the characters Xia Mo, Ou Chen and Liu Xi, so I cannot imagine other actors filling those shoes. I really cannot imagine a remake coming close to the almost perfection which was the Taiwanese version, let alone surpassing it. True, I would have loved less of Luo Xi and more of Ou Chen with Xia Mo. But that's the novel's fault, not the drama's. And even with more childhood scenes, I think that, if keeping faith with the novel, it would never do to actually show that Xia Mo loved Ou Chen in the past -- her feelings, both past and current, stay a mystery for most of the drama (which is very frustrating but also, I think, one of the reasons why this story was so engrossing).
Another thing I'd like to point out: from what I've seen, Korean dramas are great at portraying relationship development and love/tenderness, but passion, in its physical manifestation, never actually makes it to the screen. And though I could have done with less passionate Luo Xi kisses, I would never want to give up the passionate scenes with Ou Chen. And I'm pretty sure those would be cut in a Korean interpretation.

ETA: About the lack of passion in Korean dramas: in all fairness, there is that exception called "Beautiful Days" (before and when the H & h first become a couple; geez, when the scene in the beach house played on the screen, my laptop nearly went up in flames, lol)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  5298
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions