Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:44:02 PM PDT
What I take from this is that we should tell ESL authors that they should get native english speaking sock puppets. Yes, I know it's expensive, but the results are worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:44:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:48:05 PM PDT
Iola says:
$2.99 for 35 pages? Isn't that a little steep? Of course, it does mean someone could buy it, read it, one-star review it and still return it to Amazon for a refund within the hour.

ETA: Here's a real review from one of his other books: http://www.amazon.com/review/RZMK9P0S6ECHN/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007U6D1TO&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Upvoted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:45:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:47:02 PM PDT
cathyr says:
"So, I looked within and, even more oddly, the chapters all start with a title and indicate "by Daniel Hutchins". The author's (pen)name is Ruddy Richardson. I didn't find any information about an author named Daniel Hutchins."

My interpretation of what you are seeing:

BOOK PAGE - author Ruddy Richardson
Contents Page
Book begins
"excerpt of fictional newspaper article by character Daniel Hutchens"
Chapter 1...
"excerpt 2 of fictional newspaper article by character Daniel Hutchens"
Chapter 2....

ETA this remaining in lurkmode is really hard to do. Sorry. Just wanted to make sure LG had her facts straight.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:41:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 9:44:44 PM PDT
Iola says:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PHFQ3S351KYA/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0081AI2V0&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Only reviews books by one author. It's also a Kindle-only book, but the review isn't an AVP... so if booklover isn't the author, s/he got it free and didn't disclose?

I'd post in BBR, but that currently seems to be derailing itself.

Edited.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:57:45 PM PDT
Lol! Who knows? I guess they have to practice their language skills somewhere.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:59:39 PM PDT
Author Kate McVaugh posting customer review on her own book.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3H7ZEKVA7WQ1U/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1439222282&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:59:50 PM PDT
Iola says:
She's actually done it for two of her books: see the sole review for The Curse Breaker of Cairo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 2:25:39 PM PDT
Gone and gone!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 7:05:43 PM PDT
Author Lynette Lounsbury as sockpuppet 'curioCity' reviewed her own book (5-stars, of course)

Jack Lives Here

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:14:05 PM PDT
beachbaby says:
"Skews" - great word!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 7:17:56 PM PDT
Heheh. She skewed it from a zero to a 5-star.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 7:23:38 PM PDT
Props to JJ for this one:

Novelist's wife in Twitter meltdown after Amazon readers give husband bad book reviews
By Daniel Bates
UPDATED: 10:21 EST, 30 September 2011
Comments (47) Share

The wife of a world famous novelist has launched an expletive-ridden defence of her husband on Twitter against bad reviews by readers on Amazon.
Ayelet Waldman, a writer herself, called one person who gave Michael Chabon's new book one star out of five a 'f****** m***n' in the online meltdown.
She branded others who had read the book `jackasses' for not apparently getting it is meant for children.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043791/Novelist-Michael-Chabons-wife-Twitter-meltdown-bad-book-reviews-Amazon.html#ixzz1yrOAwwq1

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:49:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 10:09:31 PM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
To several of you who know who you are:

Some weeks ago you responded to some comments I had made about a BBA whose minions began sort of stalking me over a negative review I had given her book. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated your support.

A few weeks after that, I brought up the subject of the author kind of "lifting" the name of a character from another well-known author's book, and pretty much everyone said it was probably just an homage to the original author. So I erased my post and let it go.

A couple of days ago, this same book suddenly disappeared from Amazon altogether, along with its 50+ reviews, about half of which were 2 and 1 star. I wrote to a friend who had likewise supported me in the face of these nasty comments and said I suspected the book would shortly surface again with a new title, new pseudonym, and a bunch of new five-star reviews.

Sure enough, I stumbled across it last night, not on Amazon so beyond the purview of this discussion, but with a new title and new pseudonym and one brand new five-star review. While this was no surprise, what was a surprise was that the new title was identical to another book by a fairly well-known author. . . and the new pseudonym was oh so close to the name of that author.

Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps.

This author whose title has been lifted (they aren't copyrightable, so nothing is illegal about this) is probably not a household name even to most romance readers, at least not on the level of a Nora Roberts or Amanda Quick. But without revealing the actual names, here is the type of thing that's happened: If you just look at the Kindle historical romance offerings right now where Julia Quinn's "A Night Like This" is listed at $6.99, how many people do you think might be tempted by a book titled "A Night Like This" at just 99 cents and never notice that it was written by July Quann?

Oh, yes, coincidence. Sure.

(Edited to change name -- according to google there is no one named July Quann)

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:14:16 PM PDT
For anyone who lives on Jupiter and missed it.

Jean Johnson in the "For the trillionth time, self-promtion is against Amazon TOS!!!!" thread. Especially pages 38 and 44.

Although in reality it may be another head of the hydra-troll. Or perhaps not. Jean may simply be what she appears to be: a dumb author. Qui sait?

http://www.amazon.com/review/RZ1RFFO5BKZ9H/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1VTFPU16EWSCJ&cdMsgNo=32&cdPage=4&asin=B0086CUV08&store=digital-text&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxSX31P6MOE0T9&cdMsgID=Mx2098NRCE324BA#Mx2098NRCE324BA

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:16:34 PM PDT
Iola says:
Gone already.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:19:00 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I think it's another particularly elaborate head of the hydra-troll, along with its "innocent" partner, but I could be wrong.

But whatever it is ... wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:24:01 PM PDT
Iola says:
There is a 'real' author called Jillian Quinn. Gonna suck to be her.

http://jillianquinn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=53

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:43:49 PM PDT
abbyshire says:
Here's an example of a nicely behaving author:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R39PU24K3SWQTO/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0060YIBLK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:47:53 PM PDT
That was fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:49:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 8:52:20 PM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
Oh, dear, Iola, I just made up that example without checking! Ugh! The actual authors involved are very different, but I did not want to use any real names in case someone is doing searches.

So let's say the original title was "Fighting FooFoo Dogs and Pink Martinis" by Florindiana Messerschmidt and the (for lack of a better term) decoy is "Fighting FooFoo Dogs and Pink Martinis" by Florindrina Masserschmidt.

Please please please don't tell me there is either a Florindiana Messerschmidt -OR- a Florindrina Masserschmidt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:54:40 PM PDT
I gather that you don't want to mention names? I don't remember the details of your original post. Too many BBAs in between.

It may just take a day or two for a "new" book to show on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:57:50 PM PDT
What I don't understand is why people keep engaging with her. At some point, you just have to admit when someone is never going to comprehend what you are trying to convey. I think 14 pages and counting ought to do it. Ignore her and she'll either go away, or keep ranting like a lunatic to herself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:58:08 PM PDT
abbyshire says:
Can we/you use initials? If I remember correctly, one of the authors is one of my favorites. So that would be a bummer for me if she's doing carpy things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:59:43 PM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
LG: No, I'm pretty sure she's not going to put it on Amazon. If she were, it would have shown up by now.

And no, I'm not going to mention names. I have some evidence that leads me to believe the BBA runs routine searches and even if not, I'm not inclined to give her any traffic. The author whose title and name she's piggy-backing on has been alerted. Any further action is up to her, which is another reason why I'm not using actual names.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 9:08:06 PM PDT
abbyshire says:
Oh sorry--wrong scenario. This (below) is what I was thinking of. (CA is one of my favorite authors.)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance?cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx1ODZXN56VKMZQ
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  214
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions