Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Which Kristen Ashely do I read next?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6201-6225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:04:46 PM PST
Nicomaster says:
Ok I agree with all of you ladies.. I definitely would NOT be okay with Hawk's sex flavors of the week.. Seriously, he's boinking other chicks the whole year and half he's doing Gwen... Oh, wait then all of a sudden he throws down the gauntlet by claiming Gwen because he sees her strutting her stuff at Tack's shop... I bet he was all pissed and bent outta shape cause Tack liked what he saw.. In fact, didn't Hawk show up at her apartment right after she left Tack and Dog?

Idk, I agree Hawk is friggin hot and delish. But he's also a complete douche, the guy knew Gwen was only doing him while he was out spreading his love. And, Gwen was definitely living in fantasyland with putting up with nonsense. Oh, and Hawk should've groveled a heck of a lot more than he did... Sorry, but he got off to easy...

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:11:31 PM PST
Lulu says:
@Alexis - I totally agree that it is nasty. It's one of the main reasons that Mystery Man is one of my least fav KA books. I don't like that he was sleeping with Gwen for 18 months and a bunch of other women. But, I don't see Gwen as "filler" because he wasn't seeing one or two or even three women steadily. He wasn't seeing any of them regularly, except for the occasional Thursday with "Thursday" since she was cheating on her husband on that day (and that's another black mark against him for me lol). He had no relationship with any of them except for sex so all of them were technically "filler" I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:11:50 PM PST
Russo says:
I was just thinking that! So far my favorite in the series

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:21:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:53:14 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Lulu: I totally agree with you. I mean, yes Gwen put up with that, and so it's partially her fault for not having enough self-respect. But I like my Hs who are man-wh0res to STOP that behavior after they sleep with the h for the first time! And even though KA has Hawk indicate that Thursday wasn't necessarily visited every week - she must have been or why else would she be calling him all concerned after he missed ONE SINGLE THURSDAY???

I'd be happier with the situation if Gwen was just using Hawk for hot sex during that 18 month period, but she did have hopes that it would become something more. For 18 freakin' months when he's smexing OW??? YUCK. That's why MM is NOT in my top favorite KAs.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:52:21 PM PST
ok here's my two cents on Mystery Man. Gwen let him in her bed for 18 months and she didn't even know his name. He called her sweet pea and kept it impersonal because all they had was a sexual thing. I don't blame him for smexxing others. They were not in a relationship, nor were they dating. If she wanted more she should have asked for more. He was in essence stalking her which she had no clue was going on, one conversation would have brought many things to light which she did not do. Hawke typical male took what was offered and gave nothing, he only reacted because she was attracted to Tack. Had she not met Tack they would have gone on for years with the midnight booty calls.

I get why Hawke was gun shy, but what he did to her when he broke it off, I found hard to forgive so easily. I was upset that she forgave him so quickly and apologized to him for not being more understanding. He did go through alot, but he needed to explain (which he did) and then give her time to think it over instead of jumping down her throat and getting upset with her for not caving in immediately. Her hurt was right then and there and he needed to grovel. Yeah, he started going about the business of getting her the things she most desired, but he was still angry with her, up until she apologized to him. To me he was selfish and self centered, his mother's doing, since she came over to Gwen to express her disatisfaction with Gwen's reaction to Hawke's actions. Again, I get the grief he went through, but Gwen was entitled to feel hurt and angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:54:45 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Amen!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:04:07 PM PST
Russo says:
I hear that!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:14:52 PM PST
I have another doormat KA h which upset me as well with the forgiveness thing to quickly. Three wishes what the H did to her at the end deserved months of anger and major groveling on his part. Boo Hoo he had a terrible childhood, Poof! All is forgiven. He made her BEG and was extremely cruel. He broke his promise not once but twice!

And crazy woman that I am, I'm re-reading this book, hoping that the ending changes. I also, liked the Genie! Hopefully the next h in this series will have a backbone, similar to Lexie or Dusty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:19:43 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Ugh. I've heard that before, which is one reason that I haven't yet read Three Wishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:49:45 PM PST
Neeta says:
Oh yes, I'm so with you on this one... it's one of the reasons why Mystery Man is NOT one of my fave KA books. I hate it when the heroine ends up being made to feel bad for perfectly justifiable reactions (like with Max in The Gamble, I have the same issue with her apologising there). That's why Ty, Chace and Mike's books are up there at the top of my list of faves - when the hero does something man-stupid, he does realise he's in the wrong and actually does apologise for it.

As to Gwen being "filler" - of course she was. All he had was filler, he just didn't call it that. If he was that serious about Gwen he wouldn't have been shagging other women while he was shagging her. He only got serious about her when it looked like she might start looking elsewhere and he could become HER "filler" too. The whole thing about investigating her etc, just annoyed me, coz if she'd not started looking good to Tack, he never would've made "the daylight move" and he never would've stopped boinking the others he had.... he was just keeping her on the backburner and liked knowing she had no-one else and he could safely do the bareback thing with her he couldn't with the "Thursdays".

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:05:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:06:00 PM PST
T. Smith says:
I think I would have had less problems with the whole premise if the time period had been shorter. Like one or two months. But 18? That's a year and a half. Way too long for Hawk to be sleeping with Gwen and other women (lots of other women) and too long for Gwen to be putting up with him just being a midnight visitor. A couple of months I can buy. A year and half? Not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:10:34 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
Looking at it in abstract, I think Gwen is well, kind of a bimbo and the whole premise seems ridiculous. But when I'm reading it? I love Hawk and I actually like Gwen and feel sympathetic for her. (Well, and OK, I could see some advantages to just having a hot guy turn up in my bed periodically. :-))

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:43:14 PM PST
Carrie says:
IMO.. you teach people how you expect to be treated. Gwen asked for NOTHING. She got NOTHING because she lived in fantasyland. And while I think KA's example in MM is on the extreme side.. I know I've played stupid games with myself re: Men and dating and I've watched my friends stick their heads so deep in the sand they were saying "G'Day Mate!".

The thing I love about KA is that most of her books are more similar to real life romance. Real life dating... well it ain't a Romance Novel.

I understand that people read Romance Novels because they expect a certain behavior.. that there are rules.

So why read a book that you KNOW isn't going to follow the rules... and then hate on the H/h for behaving more like a real person than a character in a Romance Novel?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:00:13 PM PST
Lulu says:
Everyone is making really good points. For me, Mystery Man will never be a favorite, and neither will Hawk. Carrie (and Traveling Gal) are right in that Gwen is also kind of a bimbo in letting it go on for 18 months without asking for anything. I know, I know, I've heard KA say that they were both too scared to reach out to the other but still . . . 18 months just seems wrong. Though, as Carrie said, we've all had friends who've stuck their head in the sand about a guy before and that can go on for years. Still, they generally are having more than midnight sex with the person lol and actual conversations and a relationship are taking place which isn't the case in MM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:53:28 AM PST
Nicomaster says:
LuLu, stop the press and back up. At least "Thursday" was privelidged enough to know his flipping Name and his HOME phone... Wtf??? Not thinking I would've stuck around much longer after hearing that sweet concerned message either. She was a doormat but not making him work harder for it makes it soooo much worse IMO... Just saying him and his bad ass ego needed to be taken down a notch.. Totally loved it when Tack and Mitch entered the game to throw down for Gwen.. :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:39:41 AM PST
Love Junkie says:
I agree with all the comments....Hawk and Gwen both contributed to the madness...but loved the end results....Lady Luck is my favorite Loved Ty and how he recognized how much he cared for Lexie...on the other hand Three Wishes was my least favorite KA book....I love KA but hated that book with a passion..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:51:35 AM PST
@Nicomaster,

I wouldn't have stuck around after he admitted he was sleeping with a married woman. I just think if you can't respect someone else's marriage vows than that's an indicator that you probably wont respect your own.

And, although I liked MM. I have never really cared for Gwen and I always wondered if her sister was the way she was because Gwen is the type of female that seems to need all the attention focused on her. I always think about that scene where she is complaining about her sister and the baby dolls. I was thinking are you freakin kiddin me that she is how old and still crying about some damn dolls. I just felt like maybe the sister went off the rails because Gwen just sucked up all of the attention. She was just a little to much high maintenance and it appeared it started in childhood.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:42:02 AM PST
Fairy Tale and Motorcycle Man are two of my favorites because of the angst; however, the way Tack talked and treated Tyra was just too much. It would have taken a lot of forgive and forget to get over the things he said and I'm, unfortunately, a woman that has trouble letting go of previous hurts.

Fairy Tale - the " I've lost you once I can't lose you again" comment at the end just kinda pushed me over the edge. I'm mature enough to understand that he loved his deceased wife, but not mature enough to have it thrown in my face.

Having said that, I can't get enough of these books that make me crazy. I love them. Hawk, Tate, Brock, Luke, Max, and Hector's books got to me too.

I love these zzz?ole men :(

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:56:55 AM PST
Neeta says:
Some really interesting points there girls, not least the tiny little bit (that is actually rather huge when you think about it) about Thursday knowing Hawk's name and home phone number when the supposed non-filler Gwen never did!!! For some reason, that little snippit just totally bypassed my consciousness - the literary equivalent of going totally in one ear and out the other. Yet another reason to think his supposed deep and heartfelt "you're not filler" speech to Gwen is total horsepuckey.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:05:39 AM PST
Seofin says:
Well I get it. And understand it. Thursday was not a threat to Hawk's emotions. She was married, it was a physical thing between them. Gwen was another thing. She was a threat. Hawk wanted her, couldn't stay away and to stop any emotional connection between them, didn't get to "know" her by talking to her or staying with her.

I don't know if I can explain this well enough in English, hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:20:38 AM PST
champton says:
MM was one of my favorite KA books. Now that I realize that he was sleeping around I hate it. I wish that I could return it for a refund but I have had it way too long. She is a bimbo and he is a jerk. What's to like.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:27:45 AM PST
Lulu says:
@Seofin - I understand what you are saying and your English is excellent. Hawk did keep his distance from Gwen (even though he was tracking and watching) because he did want more from her. He thought she didn't and was to scared to reach out to her, so they did the crazy 18 month thing. Which is also why he keeps mumbling something like "18 months, wasted all that time" at various points throughout the book.

Still, I don't like it and MM will never be a favorite of mine because of Hawk sleeping with other women, some of his and Gwen's behavior in the book and Gwen's personality which I found difficult to warm up to. I do like the book for setting the stage for Brock and Mitch and Tack's books though.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:29:05 AM PST
Carrie says:
Nico & Neeta...

And.... yet GWEN never asked HIS name either. Not even the first time he took her home!!!! She didn't ask for anything! Well... except multiples. :P

And I don't hate on her for that. I mean... it's kinda hot to have a no-strings-middle-of-the-night-mind-blowing-OMG-when-are-you-coming-back-to-see-me visitor. Where do I sign up?

I've read the book several times and think that both of them were just fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine with how things were doing. She had what's-his-name dude to meet her other needs and hot Mystery Man. WIN!

That said... I do think they both wanted each other. But for all the million human reasons we erect barricades around ourselves... it was easier to stay status quo than rip off the bandaid. And the "watching" and investigating done by Hawk... he did that to keep her safe. Intrusive? Yes. Slightly stalkerish? Absolutely. But like Seofin says above.... Hawk WANTED her. But didn't want to want her.

When this conversation switches to what a freaking BIMBO Gwen is... I got LOTS & LOTS of material for that!! ha!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:10:12 AM PST
Nicomaster says:
Carrie, you definitely have a point there, she didn't have expectations at all from him when he remained her MM.. And don't get me wrong he's definitely hunkalishes. I guess the whole going caveman on her and you're "my woman", when it's public knowledge he's had several current women, just rubbed me wrong.. He knew everything bout her and she knew nothing of him..

Definitely a yes on her "bimboness", hello the chick had a MM, freakin stranger, in her bed for a year and a half... Who does this sort of thing??? STD's people !!!!!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:55:55 AM PST
Lulu says:
"When this conversation switches to what a freaking BIMBO Gwen is... I got LOTS & LOTS of material for that!! ha!"

LOL! Yes, I think many of us do. Even KA has said that she recognizes Gwen isn't very popular among her readers. I'm sure what struck KA as endearingly ditzy when she wrote Gwen, fell over into bimboitis to many readers. Can't win 'em all and KA does really well in general with her female characters.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Laurann Dohner Series 37 35 seconds ago
Biker Romance Part 2 653 14 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 1537 45 minutes ago
Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 9849 1 hour ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 2985 1 hour ago
FREE on Kindle = Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s 694 1 hour ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 460 1 hour ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 4 7963 1 hour ago
Free Today Second Edition 2872 2 hours ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 5699 2 hours ago
Heroes that grovel correctly *Possible Spoilers* 6700 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  310
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 41 customers

Search Customer Discussions