Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:28:14 AM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
I've seen eloquent used twice now in historical romances in place of elegant. In one, the hero buys the heroine an eloquent horse. My first thought was "Mr. Ed's ancestor, perhaps?"

The other instance, hero was running his hand down the heroine's eloquent back. Sigh.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:57:20 AM PST
Emerald says:
<<Storytime is a copulation of Zackary Richards' most popular short stories >>

Gotta love those erotica anthologies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:58:41 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
These must be *really* hot if even the stories are copulating!

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 2:51:08 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
Gosh, I love this thread. :=)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 3:35:14 PM PST
Ran across "it really stuck in her crawl" instead of craw. I also cannot stand how many authors (and regular folk) don't know that could've = could have, not could of!! My mother, an former English teacher, refuses to believe me that people do this!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 5:45:19 PM PST
JerseyGirl says:
OMG, that is LOL funny! That'll put the kibosh on any romantic mood!

I love this thread.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 5:59:41 PM PST
Winter says:
I hope the person who originally posted the following catch on a thread that had the word 'Cringeworthy' in it will step in and clarify my memory, but here's my attempt:

A man looking down with love at his children's beloved faces while they slept...except the word 'feces' was used instead of 'faces'. The original post noted that if that was the first time his children's feces were in a toilet and not in a diaper, it might indeed move a man to sentimentality.
Oh but the original post was well written. C'mon someone, point us to the link!

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 6:22:00 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Oh! And I wish authors would realize that they should not use an apostrophe every time they add an "s" to a word to make it plural (but not possessive)!!! There are so many possessive objects out there now!!!! I can't remember a specific example right now, but i see it a lot!!!!!

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:19:11 PM PST
Lucy Francis says:
This is a truly wonderful thread...I needed the laughs :-)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:52:01 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Okay, authors constantly misuse "effect" and "affect". This drives me nuts. Now I have found a new variation: "But I know you are affective (sic) in protecting yourself . . . ".
Huh????

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:03:26 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Another homophone: piece/peace. I just found: "State your peace.". No, this is not directed to an activist who is trying to fight against wars. The author is obviously confused by that phrase in the marriage ceremony ("hold your peace").

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:10:30 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I need to stop now. Both posting these mistakes and reading this book that is providing such ripe material for this thread!!! But here's one more before I chuck this book: "The old [female dog - to avoid possible amazon censors] had a conscious after all.". Since I've no doubt that the woman has consciousness, as she spoke and engaged in normal activities, I can only assume that the author meant that she had developed a conscience!!!!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:24:45 AM PST
A man looking down with love at his children's beloved faces while they slept...except the word 'feces' was used instead of 'faces'.

I actually laughed out loud in my office on reading this. Must move away from this thread lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 2:54:19 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Ewww!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 2:59:26 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
"And my kindle has a bad habit of freezing when i create a bookmark or note"

It probably does not really freeze, just takes several minutes to complete any task more complicated than advancing a page.

Removing most of the content (leaving no more than, say, 200 tiles) usually helps, as does re-indexing.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx20MFZ9YH0NAOX&cdMsgID=Mx1IKX4OASCHTHY#Mx1IKX4OASCHTHY

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 3:26:07 AM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
Thanks for the advice. I really know nothing about my Kindle, other than it annoys me sometimes!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 4:14:54 AM PST
Bwahaha! These are hilarious!
My biggest pet peeve is piqued/peeked/peaked. It's shameful to peek my interest! I also read a book recently in which the author was very fond of using italics. I don't remember specifics, but the result implied that the waitress was making some very sexy coffee - thrusting and grinding constantly. It took my attention completely out of a very tame and serious story:)

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:17:27 AM PST
I was going through my books last night to delete ones I thought were okay but didn't love enough to read again and checked to see if there were any highlights or quotes I wanted to keep first. I laughed all over again when I found this one:

"There was no one on earth who could make her punt more than him. Just looking at him with the sweat glistening on his chest had her punting like a dog." (pant/panting)

Maybe the author is a football fan and autocorrect helped with that one but it still doesn't excuse the panting like a dog thing. Not so sexy to picture the heroine with her head hanging out the car window at the sight of him! Haah!

My second find:
"He felt her organism along the entire length of his c**k, and it was the sweetest sound he ever herd". O.o Moo!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:07:00 AM PST
Curmudgeon says:
Isn't a punt also one of those flat bottomed boats used in England?

So, today I'm enjoying a book of short stories by really talented writers. Such a wonderful change from a lot of what I've been reading lately. Until . . . "they poured over the maps" Ahem, unless you've spilled your coffee, it's PORED

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 1:30:49 PM PST
Bookjunkie says:
can't remember the book but it had 'beast' instead of breast ... haha

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 1:47:36 PM PST
Read a book once where the characters "pealed" off their clothes. When it showed up in 2 subsequent books by the same author I almost screamed. LOL.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:06:37 PM PST
JennyG. says:
From Tycoon's Pregnant Mistress (Desire) by Maya Banks:

"She piddled with her fork"

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:11:44 PM PST
@Curmudgeon

Yes, a punt is a boat. When you seen all those films set in Oxford and Cambridge, and they're going along the river and someone is standing up rowing the boat, they're punting.

This thread is hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 2:16:45 PM PST
That's the ladylike way of doing it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 3:18:24 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Oh, those are funny! So many of these are a riot!

Here's another unfortunate homonym that I've run across (and which I've actually typed, myself -- but corrected!): vial/vile, particularly using "vile" when "vial" is meant.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  442
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions