Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fans of k-dramas... please help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 4:25:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 1:29:14 PM PDT
Adnana says:
Hui Chi said: "But, the only thing I liked about BOF was Lee Min Ho's acting. They made the lead girl into a clown"
I totally agree. I watched the first episode of "Boys Over Flowers" (because I also started "Meteor Garden" and wanted to compare) and I hate the heroine. And geez, like another poster said, what's with the mushroom haircut? I looked the actress up on the Internet and couldn't believe how pretty she can look.

ETA: After watching more episodes of "Boys Over Flowers" I began liking it a lot more. The heroine gets better, acting-wise, and her character is much more sympathetic and lovable than the heroine's from "Meteor Garden", imho.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:09:17 PM PST
Yahaira says:
Roy Leh Sanae Rai was mentioned pretty early on and I really want to watch this drama, but I cannot find it anywhere with eng subs. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of it or where I can watch it. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:25:20 PM PST
cbela says:
@ yahaira..did u try viki.com?
....but i love n can rewatchh frm beginning to end... my queen tw drama with cheryl as heroine n ethan (fated to love you).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:56:59 PM PST
jak says:
duhfish, Sawan Biang is a favorite of mine, well acted, even though it has multiple rapes. I still couldn't help feeling for the H, but that might be because I'm a Ken fan.

@ yahaira - a lot of sites have lost links due to megaupload disappearing. You could try bakachan as they have steaming videos of lakorns.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:43:04 PM PST
Yahaira says:
Already tried, Viki only has like the first 2 episodes up and the rest are gone. I found the series on YouTube but the problem is that it doesn't have english subtitles, so I have no idea what the heck they are saying...which is really frustrating because I already like it and it would be so much better if I actually understood it.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 2:14:56 AM PST
Hui Chi says:
Yahaira,

This lakorn's no longer on youtube, but you can download it here: http://zowiempire.wordpress.com/tag/roy-leh-sanae-rai-eng-subs/
Just look for the title and click on the first of the 2 download links.

Roy Leh Sanae Rai was the first Thai Lakorn I watched -I wanted so badly to watch it after seeing an MV with Tik and Aom (so much chemistry). I ended up seeing pretty much the whole thing without subs. You're so lucky you get to watch it with great subs! The chemistry and the main guy's persistence was what made this drama for me despite it's ordinary plotline.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 2:22:10 AM PST
Hui Chi says:
Adnana,

The main actress in BOF was in another really long Kdrama called Pure 19 and I liked her in that one -she looked so much prettier too. But her portrayal of the main girl in BOF just didn't cut it for me. I understand they were trying to be unique to the other versions, but that's no excuse to totally change her whole personality. She was like spazzing nonsense and overacting every time she's by herself. I couldn't see any resemblance to the original main girl from the manga. If you want to get a real taste of the original manga, just watch Meteor Garden and ignore this version -unless you want to watch it purely for Lee Min Ho.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 2:06:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 2:22:03 AM PST
Adnana says:
I used to think Lee Min Ho wasn't all that handsome; I remember watching a little bit of BOF some time ago and not really liking him. Now, after "Secret Garden" got me truly interested in Asian dramas, I watched "City Hunter" and Lee Min Ho was such a revelation to me. Loved the drama (such an exciting plot!) and really loved the characters (the actors all did such a good job playing their roles). But it was Lee Min Ho who absolutely blew me away this time; I thought he was fabulous in the fight scenes, but also when he portrayed emotions (like with his father, or when he just couldn't help falling in love with NaNa). I'm actually reluctant to watch his older stuff for fear of being disappointed.

BTW, those of you who also watched "City Hunter": what did you think of the ending?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 3:15:21 PM PST
aly says:
Adnana~ I like the ending of City Hunter. Now I will say it could have been better and a bit more forthcoming with details as to what happened after all was said and done. But they could have made it a lot worse.
****Spoiler****
I, in my own opinion, like to think he lived at the end. When you see his mother and friend going to America and you see NaNa with a suitcase at the end, that she is going as well. And in my dreamland, he goes right along with her. I don't want a second season. I don't think my heart can make it through 20 more cliffhangers (K-dramas are the best at that :) ) and a possible bad ending.

And on a side note, I have followed this thread for a time now and just love it!! I discovered k-drama last year and since then have watched basically no American tv. I have watched many Korean, Japenese, Tawainese dramas and the lakorns. Awesome stuff!!

For my own recomendation I'll go with What Planet Are You From. Just finished it and fell in love all over again.
A good site I found to wach alot of these is DramaCrazy.net. Lots from Tawain, Japan and Korea. And for Korean only DramaFever.com. Of course Netflix and Hulu have a few and YouTube

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 11:54:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 12:00:43 AM PST
cbela says:
i also liked the ending of city hunter , and that he lived... together with her n driving his car.lol yes... which reminds me again i rec "49days" lots of twists.. tearful moments...but a hea ending. also "which star r u frm" is good too the "forbidden love". i very much liked "ur beautiful" brooding likeable hero :) and "dream high"... hero n how he sings "dreaming".

thai lakorn... mark prin "ngao rak luang jai. love in shadows" and wier n pinky " wong wien jai".

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 12:35:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 2:27:48 AM PST
Adnana says:
For me, the ending of "City Hunter" took some time to make my peace with.
*spoilers*
I was basically dissatisfied that there hadn't been a more obvious resolution to the romantic plot, but finally I realized the HEA needn't be that obvious after all -- that it existed was enough.
So, I've read an interview with the Director of the movie and he confirmed that 'City Hunter' absolutely did not die after the final showdown. The drama itself does, after all, hint at him going with his entire family -- NaNa included -- to the United States. I'm still a bit disappointed that NaNa's and Yoon Sung's final scene doesn't show a kiss, but the way they meet up at the airport, stand there looking at each other and then smiling at each other with so much love in their eyes is very heart-warming.
So, knowing that he lived and that he is together with NaNa is more than enough for me. (plus, I'm sure they'll kiss eventually - a lot) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 4:32:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:42:54 AM PST
Adnana says:
Hui Chi,
I've been watching "Meteor Garden" and am really enjoying it so far. I don't like the heroine as much as in the Japanese "Hana Yori Dango" (I'm talking about the character itself, not the actress), but the hero is awesome, all the way. :) Yes, he does remind me a little of Ou Chen (if Ou Chen were quite violent and aggressive and courted his girl in the manner of a kindergarten bully, lol). I just hope he won't turn into a weakling when his mother starts interfering.

Update: Unfortunately, the h ruined this drama for me. I want the H to be completely in love and obsessed with the h, but I also need a little bit of balance in the relationship. There was no balance here - the heroine held all the power and when she kept disregarding the H and he kept chasing after her, it just made him look weak, and it made me resent the h.
On the other hand, I've started watching the Korean "Boys Over Flowers" and after getting used to the heroine's exaggerated expressions, I've been enjoying this adaptation A LOT (plus, the h gets better). She's much nicer (less cold) than the h in "Meteor Garden" and, of course, F4 (and especially Lee Min Ho) are to die for. :)

Also, Lily Rose 81,
Thank you for mentioning "The Princess' Man" -- I've developed a real passion for this drama, especially in its second half. The story is the most interesting and compelling I've encountered in a drama so far (besides "City Hunter") and I LOVE the heroine. After seeing too many heroines (in books and dramas) who I just couldn't like or for whom I gradually lost my respect & sympathy because of the stupid (imho) decisions they kept making (hello heroine in "Autumn's Concerto"!), heroines like the one in "City Hunter" and now in "The Princess' Man" have restored my faith. I have never cheered so much and so many times as I did for the heroine in "The Princess' Man"; she was so strong and so loyal to the man she loved despite her terrible conflict, being torn between her father and her lover. A superb period drama!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:35:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 11:37:53 AM PST
Lovely D.M. says:
Well I just recently discovered K-drama, my favorite one is You're Beautiful, it is one of my top 3 favorite series (even though the storyline faltered at some points). I love how good the characters are, even the supporting characters are well drawn out and have their unique traits. It also doesn't hurt that the three band members are really good looking, especially Tae Kyung!

Tae Kyung (I learned to spell his name! lol) the hero, is the mean bad boy who always ends up doing the right thing and he's also O.C.D... but if he were a bit nicer I would have liked him even more.

Go Mi Nam/Gemma she's the heroine, and she's sweet/lovable, clumsy and admirable in her perseverance. She is a lovable heroine even though I wanted her to fight back verbally at some of the things that Tae Kyung would say.

Shin Woo, he's the charming strong/silent type, his mistake is that he waited too long for the right moment, so Gemma had already fallen in love with Tae Kyung by the time Shin Woo expressed his feelings.

Jeremy is a real cutie and a piece of sunshine, he's always fun and happy, but he's also slow and clueless when it comes to figuring things out.

Manager Ma, idiotic/funny and also goodhearted. Stylist Noona (I forget her name), who is high strung and also has her hilarious moments. Also Go Mi Nam's butt grabbing aunt (poor Tae Kyung lol). Then there's the national fairy actress who pretends to be nice but isn't lol.

Basically I really liked how each character had their complete character arc, and had their own unique quirks. Of course the two leads had the most detailed and dimensional character arcs, followed by Shin Woo and then Jeremy.

I also loved the metaphor/allegory of "seeing" that was present throughout the series between the H/h, and Tae Kyung being night blind.

Okay this post is getting long, basically I have yet to find another drama as entertaining/addicting and as good as You're beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 7:26:49 AM PST
D.M.
Have you watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal? Similar to You're Beautiful, it involves the heroine pretending to be a boy. The hero is a very upright guy who is always saving the heroine while thinking she is a guy. Always good to have a hero who is the smartest one in the room! Also good when the heroine is the second smartest.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 1:01:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 1:27:56 PM PST
Lovely D.M. says:
Thanks for the recommendation Reader, I'll check it out when I have time. But I want him to know that she's a girl from the beginning! In You're Beautiful Shin Woo and Tae Kyung knew that she was a girl from the first and second episodes respectively. Anyways I will definitely check this series out (on a side note, how in the world do you pronounce that word in the title ... scandal?)

I really wish they'd make a movie of "You're Beautiful" to show Tae Kyung and Gemma getting married. I would love to see Tae Kyung's reactions to the wedding preparations! At this point Tae Kyung loves Gemma, so he'll put himself through it and give her a beautiful wedding, lol (at least that's how I imagine it). Also they could give Shin Woo a love interest. Something like that would give real closure to the story. Anyways I'm rambling now :)

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:50:02 PM PST
D.M.
In Sungkyunkwan Scandal the hero falls in love with the heroine thinking that she is a guy. Sungkyunkwan is a university in Korea.

Also, have you watched Heartstrings? It stars the actors who played Shin Woo and Go Mi Nam. After You're Beautiful, I think people were interested in a drama where these two get together. The hero in this drama turns out to be a great boyfriend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 7:06:08 PM PST
aly says:
D.M~ In the Japenese version of You're Beautiful ~Ikemen Desu Ne~ it does show her coming back after having gone to ?Africa? and him meeting her at the airport. Just like a 2 minute extra scene. I guess just to show she came back

And funny you mention a wedding with them. While daydreaming about them I could see her wearing the hairclip he got her in her hair as one of her wedding accessories. And instead of a bride and groom on the cake, a cute little pig rabbit :) I daydream waaaayyyyyy too much.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:55:45 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2012 8:32:12 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 5:06:08 AM PST
The H (Chi Soo) in Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, similar to Joo Won, becomes obsessed with the h. He begins to imagine her everywhere and ends up working at the Ramyun shop just to be close to her (Chi Soo is extremely rich). There is a fantasy scene showing Chi Soo as Joo Won (Secret Garden) (sparkly blue track suit and all). Chi Soo is clueless as to what is happening to him and even has to look up the meaning of jealousy when a friend tells him this is what he is suffering from.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 8:32:42 AM PST
D.M.
I think the pronunciation of Sungkyunkwan is sung-gyoon-gwan.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 9:51:03 AM PST
Okay, so I've become obsessed with Asian dramas since watching Boys Over Flowers which I still love the most of the Han Yori Dango adaptions. That's because Lee Min Ho is AWESOME. As mentioned above he's the BEST in City Hunter, just such a great drama. But I also really liked him in Personal Taste. It took me a while to warm up to this one, but the h is just the most sweet and loyal person. And once the H realizes how awesome she is he can't help but fall for her. The problem is there are a BUNCH of lies between them on his part, and he can't figure out how to get out of them without risking losing her. This one is really worth watching.

The other that I just loved was The First Shop of the Coffee Prince. I really wasn't sure about this one at all because the H believes the h is a guy for about 80% of the series. But he is just the most wonderful guy. And the h is the sweetest, most innocent and just completely oblivious to how appealing she is. I actually LOVED that he decides to love Oh Chen even when he thinks she's a boy. That's how much he loves her. And he's just adorably possessive and protective of her once they get together. He seriously is a prince.

I also watched Playful Kiss that has the 2nd male lead from BOF as the main lead. This one was harder to decide if I liked it as I was watching. The H is a genius and he's a VERY cold, emotionless kind of guy. The h is NOT a genius to say the least, but she's loved the H, who is in her school, for years. The h is almost too sweet and sometimes crosses the line into doormat territory. And the H is such a jerk sometimes. But everytime I would be ready to quit, he would do something that would make me keep watching. In the end, you could really see that he loved the h in the best way he could. He just would never be a warm person. Anyway, in the end I liked it.

I'm going to check out some of the others that have been listed because I seriously can't get enough. So if anyone has more recs, please post them!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 11:09:43 AM PST
Rashell Anderson

If you haven't watched You're Beautiful, it should be next on your list.

Also, if you want to get a greater appreciation of Baek Seung Jo's character, read the Diary of Baek Seung Jo (matched with scenes on YT). The production company created this diary to indicate Seung Jo thoughts during each of the 16 episodes since you could not alway tell what he was thinking based upon his demeanor. Seven 10 minute YT episodes were also created covering the H/h post marriage.

Playful Kiss was based upon the same manga as the Taiwanese It Started WIth a Kiss and They Kiss Again. ISWAK is 30 episodes long and covers from the H/h meeting through their wedding. TKA is 20 episodes long and covers from the honeymoon through about 5 years of marriage. The hero finally seems to grow up/become a good husband at about episode 15 of TKA, in episode 20 you see the hero breakdown and cry, probaby for the first time since he was 4 or 5 years old. However, I was not as fond on the heroine in ISWAK/TKA as the heroine in PK. TKA also covers in greater detail the romance between the OM and Christine. You may want to also watch this version (or just pick it up beginning with They Kiss Again.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 11:25:17 AM PST
Thanks you so much for the info on Playful Kiss. I'm definitely going to watch the the youtube episodes, and look for the diary. I would LOVE to know what Sueng Jo was thinking. I think if I watch the Taiwanese version, I'll have to start with the second one. I don't think I can handle watching the poor h keep getting hurt all the way through again.

I'll check out You're Beautiful too. Definitely sounds like my cuppa! Thanks so much!

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:31:47 AM PST
Sweet! I'm off to find Secret Garden.

I'm obsessed with K culture, period.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 8:08:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 3:32:15 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Come back and tell us if you enjoyed "Secret Garden" :). I've now watched a bunch of Asian dramas and "Secret Garden" is still one of the 3 I loved the most (besides "City Hunter" and "Summer's Desire").

Speaking of Hyun Bin (the actor who plays the H in "Secret Garden") -- I actually went back and looked for some of his earlier stuff, after someone here recommended "My Lovely Kim Sam-Soon", his breakthrough drama. It was a nice change; the H is, of course, rich, slightly spoiled, extremely attractive and the owner of a restaurant (besides being the heir apparent to his mother's business empire). But the h is different: she is older than the Hero (by 3 years), she's just been dumped by her long-time boyfriend (after she learned he was cheating on her). She's a bit plump, a bit clumsy and a lot funny (though the 'funny' occasionally veers off into cringe-worthy territory, with the scrapes she gets in). My biggest issue is that the H spends a lot of the drama thinking he is still in love with a previous girlfriend who had left him (also, for a change, the OW is a very nice girl and she really loves the H). So he causes the heroine a lot of pain; his saving grace was that, as jealous and possessive as he was of the h (he kept going and ruining her dates when she tried dating again), it was obvious that he had some deep feelings for her, even if he wouldn't admit to them.
So, overall, this was a nice drama, even if not one I would necessarily want to re-watch.

Another Hyun Bin drama is "The Snow Queen". Here the H is a genius who gave up on school and all opportunities for a better life because of guilt over some past events and he now earns his living as a boxer. He is, in other words, poor and tormented. He's also a very honest, principled guy. The h is a spoiled rich man's daughter, who keeps a world of pain and loneliness bottled up inside her. The way these two so different people come together and fall in love constitutes a beautiful, though difficult, journey.
This is a darker drama and it doesn't have a happy ending, unfortunately. But overall, it was a great watching experience and it touched me much deeper than the comedic "My Lovely Kim Sam-Soon".
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  90
Total posts:  4035
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions