Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 17, 2011 5:27:49 AM PDT
Rita says:
re after the vows: i didn't like it either. the H was way too mean but i will say it was pretty much like a lot of the old HP's so you have to consider when it was written.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 8:14:40 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Rita, ATF is a brand new book -- it was written recently.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 9:16:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2011 3:18:52 PM PDT
B. Lim says:
The Spanish Birthright by Caty Williams is so bad. The h name was so bad (Alex).

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 9:49:19 AM PDT
seton says:
Booge -- lol about the Wuthering ending. Maybe it will be another TT HP? haha.

one of the Addies read the Eyre 1 and her complaint was similar to mine on the P&P. u don't like P&P? how very Mark Twain of u :-)

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:13:47 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I liked the Eyre one better than the P&P, after all Jane Eyre is like the classic HP without the secret baby plot. Mr. Twain and I are very good friends :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:18:51 AM PDT
Books&Wine says:
No secret baby, just the secret wife.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:33:10 AM PDT
seton says:
Actually, EMMA follows the classic HP paradigm too: h and the much older man who watched her grow up all her life.

I guess Colette's GIGI was too much for the HP editors -- 'my grandma & aunt trained me to be a gold-digger since I was young!'

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:40:41 AM PDT
Rita says:
Reader in NJ: oops! actually i was talking about Angel of Darkness by Lynne Graham.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:40:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 10:44:08 AM PDT
Except that Emma is intelligent, well educated, witty and wealthy in her own right. She's also cool, self composed, controlling, a bit spoiled albeit capable of unselfish kindness with a side order of snob. Alas 200 years on and HP heroines aren't nearly as independent, proactive and eventually self-aware. And Mr Knightly is pretty much perfect in a way an HP could never dream.

Oh and Knightly->Wentworth -> Darcy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:47:35 AM PDT
seton says:
PWNN - so, do u like EMMA? :-)
yeah, I know that they need to change a few things, like turn Mr. Woodhouse into an embezzler so that Knightley can blackmail Emma into marriage, yeah, yeah.

Oh and Jean Rhys > Jane Austen > Emily Bronte > Huge Jump > Charlotte B

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:48:59 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Rita, That's OK! I do the same sometimes. As for "Angel of Darkness" you are absolutely right. I never understood why he let the OW get away with so much. Really wished that we had an inkling of his POV to understand his actions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 11:00:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 11:45:45 AM PDT
I do like Emma though about as much as P&P and Persuasion is my favorite.

Dickens --> Hardy --> Trollope --> Austen --> Thackery --> Scott --> Brontes --> Elliot

I think Jane Eyre is a better novel than Wutherings Heights (which is a great first half of a novel - and why it's usually only that half filmed) though it would have been greater without the forced on last 1/3rd by her editor. Both are better though than about 1/2 of Austen's oeuvre but they didn't have a lot of output quality or otherwise. (I love Rochester so I'll skip the sullying in Rhys book)

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 11:07:12 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
You guys are great! The sad thing is I have NEVER read Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, or even Emma. I did do a high school skim i.e. Cliffs notes at the time of The Scarlet Letter - think that should go to the list? LOL! And I can still remember the first lines of this classic: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. . . . but we didn't read it. We watched it. So very sad that my literature education is lacking. We should add some of these classics to our book discussions.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 11:29:57 AM PDT
Books&Wine says:
I actually liked Pride and Prejudice. The first time I read it, I was about 13 and didn't know it was a classic. LOL. Haven't read it in a couple decades. I'll have to give it a reread. (But did love both David Rintoul and Colin Firth in the BBC productions. :D)

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 3:14:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 3:16:36 PM PDT
readsalot says:
re: The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain

My eReader says, I'm 60% into the story ( she sees her sister-in-law for the first time at the ball part of the book) and yet she still hasn't revealed why she had to leave her marriage and her baby. I'm so frustrated! In my mind, I'm screaming at her to just spit out the reason so that they could clear the air. Arg! this book is driving me crazy ...

As a reader, I'm feeling mostly disconnected from the story and unemotional about the h/H. The h seems to spend most of her time belittling herself, wallowing in pity or desperately clinging to the H and their past relationship. Only thing good I can say about this book at this point is that the H is a fantastic father and the baby is utterly adorable. Writing itself is a little too repetitive...

I've decided that I have wasted enough of my time on this, but I would still appreciate some spoilers so I could get some closure. Please tell me what made her leave, I know some medical reason but what was it. Details would be great, thanks again! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 3:27:58 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I always put Emma in the HR category, reminds me of Anne Hampson's Precious Waif (A Harlequin Romance, 1420), the softer, sweeter side of Harlequin.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 3:28:54 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I am all for Gigi however, get Lucy Monroe to write it. Methinks I will send an email. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 3:32:14 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Vanessa - I love, love, love the Scarlet Letter and I really recommend. I like Jane Eyre too, but P&P, Emma, and WH just drove me batty.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 3:48:09 PM PDT
Double D says:
I love Precious Waif! It is one of my all time favorites! I knew I liked you for some reason. :}

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 5:00:31 PM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Readsalot, I believe she had cancer. Since their marriage was a MOC -- she didn't want to rely on the H being there for her. Towards the end, the H finds out how the h was all alone, the type of treatment she had to go through, etc... and is very upset about it. You should read the book to the end -- you may change your mind about it.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 7:23:13 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
I read the book knowing what was wrong with her so I had a little more sympathy for her..maybe that was wrong or right?

If I remember correctly, she basically had a cancer and the doctors told her the best thing would be to start treatments right away. She would have had to terminate the pregnancy I believe. They also said they could start her on treatments that were less dangerous to the baby but not as effective. The heroine decided to sacrifice her chance for survival in order to make sure her baby made it to term healthy. As soon as she had the baby she left and went to a clinic basically to take whatever treatments she could but it was hopeless and she only expected to live a few months. They had a new treatment that she agreed to try because she was going to die anyway and it actually wound up curing her but she spent a LONG time in isolation because any type of germs she picked up could have killed her. Her nightmare was basically about all the time she spent in isolation.

The heroine pretended to be a gold digger so that A. the hero wouldn't come looking for her and B. because she'd had to deal with the long drawn out illness of cancer from her mother? I believe, and she didn't want her child to have to face the same thing. She thought it would be better to not know her at all then to have to face watching her get worse and worse and then die.

She didn't tell him because though they had a marriage of convenience, she thought they were building something, and then she overheard him tell his sister that not only didn't he love her, but it was convenient that she was pregnant because now he wouldn't have to marry yet again to provide an heir. She realized that he felt nothing for her so she had no one who cared for her to share with. She was facing it alone.

The thing that stands out most in my mind about this book is the first meeting with her son. I loved that part.

On that note, the Kate Walker book the heroine left because she had Postpartum Psychosis. She realized that she was going crazy and thought she'd hurt her baby. Half of it was because the hero married her but never talked to her about anything. I found the ending frustrating because the hero basically said he didn't do the explaining thing and it wound up being that she'd just have to trust him that there was a reason for his actions. Last time she thought he didn't like her, was tired of her, and she was afraid if he found out he'd throw her out. In this book I found the baby to be more of an excuse then a real part of the story. She left because of the baby, she was terrified to see the baby again, everything she did was for the baby, but once she's back with the hero baby takes back seat.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 9:11:04 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
The Kate Walker book reminds me of a really bad imitation of Daphne Clair's No Escape (Harlequin Presents). In the DC book the h leaves for 10 or 12 years because she was so depressed she started fantasizing about hurting the baby. She felt she was going to do something really bad and so she just took off and then the H runs into her years later.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 9:37:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2011 9:39:59 AM PDT
readsalot says:
Thank you so much for the spoilers, Michigangirl and Reader in NJ!

I wish the author had let the readers know what her problem was from the very start. I'm sure I would've been more empathic towards the h than how I was feeling while reading it. How are we to feel anything but frustration when all h does is wallow in pity because the H didn't love her when she had adored him from the start. The book made it seem like she left because he didn't care but you could tell that she had a big secret which she refuse to say, which just added to my irritation lol.

Thanks again, I'll probably finish it sometime this weekend.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 10:30:26 AM PDT
SuzieBags says:
Pregnant With the Billionaire's Baby by Carole Mortimer, I just read this one on for free (love that website)

It was a nice story, the h wasn't tstl, there was no other woman, thank God, It's starting to stress me out a little, the whole cheating stories...the Don't Shoot Me Thread has me taking a break...anyway, the H was a little bit of a jerk in believing that she knew who he was when they had a one night stand and believed that she wanted something from him and would eventually blackmail him, with what I don't know. But he pursues her relentlessy and you can tell he is totally in love with her, and sees of course towards the end of how wrong he was. Loved the ending when she gave birth, very touching and angst free for a change.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 4:19:21 PM PDT
How do you download from and what does it cost?
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 21 days ago
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
144 1 day ago
Train Recs: highly recommended but you wallbanged 8 11 minutes ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 773 17 minutes ago
Looking for title of historical romance with Asian heroine 3 21 minutes ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 8883 22 minutes ago
h is suffering trauma/PTDS H is alpha and protective bad boy 12 42 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 7111 44 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 6076 59 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 8682 1 hour ago
HP Discussion thread number 2 307 1 hour ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 8134 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  239
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 58 customers

Search Customer Discussions