Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Have you judged a book by its cover?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 4:13:59 PM PST
Honestly, it sounds like a good book, but that cover is awful...

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 4:17:51 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
I guess it's the rectus abdominis. I am just specifically drawn to the lower area.....the rectus abdominis is the "6 pack" that starts from the bottom of the breast bone and goes down to the pelvic area. But it all works together....those obliques and that 6 pack.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 4:59:18 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
Shadow of the Guillotine - Historical Thriller Romance

this is sad....that is a scene from a movie! granted I can't remember the name of the movie. It's the one where the character is the ghost writer for Shakespeare's plays. He's the one that wrote them but had ole Billy Shakespeare take the credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:00:24 PM PST
Anonymous

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:02:50 PM PST
D. Stom says:
the abs themselves go *all* the way down to the groin (base of the MWOP)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:12:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 5:12:37 PM PST
D. Stom says:
re: Men Who Walk The Edge of Honor Series
(WOOF!)

Yeppers, I'm *totally* shallow. Saw the first cover & couldn't buy it fast enough, then got the other two as soon as they were published -- pre-ordered.

(*sigh*) Yeah, totally shallow. And I know there's no way a real Merc/Soldier/[whatever] would really do this kind of stuff half naked, but (*sigh*) they're just soooo ... gorgeous.

And the best part is I don't have to deal with their laundry. :)

http://youtu.be/TrzODHtvm_U

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:20:44 PM PST
Even more sad is that it's a still from a movie that takes place 200 years before the book does. Not exactly the same fashion...

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:21:15 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
@DStom
gurl....now you went and put that live action link on here.....be back in a few min. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:21:22 PM PST
That's why I skipped that one, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:22:26 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
tsk tsk....shame shame.

well you know that book is worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 7:29:17 PM PST
JAC says:
Well, I'm totally shallow right along with you. Nothing wrong with looking!! Oh yeah!

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:43:31 AM PST
I saw this cover this morning and definitely did not go any further than laughed at the horrible photoshop job.

Man Writing a Romance

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:17:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 7:18:30 AM PST
Leafy, oh my....Not even a remotely good photo shop job I love that his head that's not quite right on the body....

The Pendant: A Novel of Murder, Vengeance, and Secret Treasure in Medieval Italy: A Medieval Historical Romance Thriller
This one I think they should have titled.....Renaissance Faire Rejects ;)

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:25:02 AM PST
A cartoon pair of purple muddy boots makes me want to rush and read this:
Good Ole Boys

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:29:08 AM PST
I've read alot of drubbing on book covers and I'll admit mine are pretty unoriginal. But I'm no artist and until I can make enough money at writing to hire a graphic artist, I do the best I can. Y'all have brought up some interesting examples though. I never lift images from a movie or anything remotely recognizable, simply due to copyright infringement. And I try to fit the image to something relatable in the story. Still, I use the tools at which I am comfortable with because I literally suck at the computer.
My point being...if the synopsis or excerpt sounds intriguing, then ignore the cover. You might be missing out on something really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:55:42 AM PST
Winter says:
He attributes the cover art thusly: "Connie Gage, a professional designer who's done artwork and album covers for some of the biggest names in the music business"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 11:22:42 AM PST
GatorGirl says:
@Mark Stephens
1st let me say, I hope we haven't dogged any of your books. I get that an author starting out probably can't afford a graphic artist....but I think we have shown with some of our examples on here that some authors made some poor choices. It's hard to even bother reading the synopsis/description if you're laughing so hard at the book cover. But thanks for the reminder of giving the author a break and reading their effort. (we're just having some fun with the bad ones....and enjoying the good ones)

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 2:32:23 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
Jungle Fever (Don't Tell: Gay Military Erotica)

I did not go searching for this genre....but going through a list of free books, this pic popped up down at the bottom of suggested titles. Got my attention because of ummmm, how much was shown. Just interesting....and thought your comments could be interesting. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 3:55:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 3:56:30 PM PST
Caitie Quinn says:
Personally? That extra inch crosses my Hot V Classless line - And I'll be the first visually-untalented, I know-art-when-I-see-it cover idiot to give them the benefit of the doubt... but, um. No. LOL

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 3:36:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 3:38:04 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
Thinking maybe that a new discussion could be started for bad titles....tripped over this one when it showed up as suggestion to a free book being offered today. Badcock whaaaat?

ohhh, ok....when you read the description you see it's the H's last name. hmmmmm?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 3:57:01 PM PST
D. Stom says:
<<My point being...if the synopsis or excerpt sounds intriguing, then ignore the cover. You might be missing out on something really good.>>

We do, generally. But we (I) make fun of the covers (and ourselves) here.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 4:00:08 PM PST
D. Stom says:
I think that one's in dire need of a title upgrade. Literally. ;)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:33:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 4:35:20 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
C I N: "Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin. You never come out the way you went in."

this is just a really long title....trying to make a word quota?

good reviews of the story though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 4:55:20 PM PST
D. Stom says:
"The city where the locals taunt 'Lynn, Lynn, city of sin; you never come out the way you went in.' "

?!?!

huh. Maybe. I'll let one of you guys read it first.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:08:46 PM PST
GatorGirl says:
I'm gonna let someone else go at it too.....my TBR is quite large as it is. And yeah...that "taunt" sort of threw me off.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 1684 13 minutes ago
looking for a book title 3 17 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 2302 26 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 2733 43 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4388 46 minutes ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 9790 50 minutes ago
Love romances that start with letters or emails- any suggestions 49 53 minutes ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 9714 1 hour ago
Total Alpha male who's very protective and cherishing of h 15 1 hour ago
h wants the H, but the H is fighting it (historical) 9 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  1463
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2012
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions