Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:28:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 10:33:48 PM PST
Lisa in OK says:
Oh, I'm sure if we had a Mocking font I still wouldn't use it right. I mean "correctly". I mean, I could use it to "write" but the message wouldn't come across clearly. And I don't mean "transparent" I mean "in a way that is easy to understand". Dadgum. It's a good thing I went to school for this English stuff, otherwise, I'd be completely lost. And I don't mean "wandering around unable to find my home", I mean "confused and unable to gain understanding of the subject matter".

There. I edited my other post so it is more "comment on spelling skills" than "unintended insult".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:32:43 PM PST
"the reviewer praised the author for not caving to the grammar police"

Then the reviewer should have praised her for not craving to the grandma please. I mean, in solidarity and all that :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 4:41:48 AM PST
Hmmm, the 5-star review is now gone.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 5:40:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 5:45:34 AM PST
Good morning, peoples! A little something for TGIF.

which was what brought on the bought of tears

that you heir from me

It was the kiss of death in passion as our lips caressed each other with force yet sensual romance concurrently.

scraping to be entwined with him in every format

sacrificing my conscience to salvage our final moments together

Kellan's cologne, strong and poignant yet appealing

still statuesque in the position I left him

It's as if creation manifested the earth between our souls.

mildewed grass

Guilt filled me obscuring my thoughts from elation to self-image to pain.

My friends won't take phone calls from me right now, they're afraid I'm going to read something to them from this mess.I'm alone, so alone....help me.

Do you all think Amazon would let me post a review with the title,"I Wouldn't Feed This Slop to a Pig"? Or would, "Not Fit for Man nor Beast" be better?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:45:24 AM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
HOLY. GOD.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:46:32 AM PST
Added a little more to it. Time for strong drink?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:52:41 AM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
Uh huh. It's nearly 1am here in Australia - probably a better time for whiskey (and as gin and vodka and tequila) than breakfast time. What causes these people to believe they can write?

I had to read through most of it more than once to even begin to understand the intended meaning!

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 5:53:21 AM PST
Diary of a Vampeen (Vamp Chronicles) is free if you want More! More!! More!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:54:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 5:54:37 AM PST
YOU FIGURED IT OUT!?!!! Doesn't that scare you?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:56:16 AM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
Thanks. Now I am one of the sad owners of that sad, sad book!

I only THINK I figured it out. Mind you, I have worked with English students before, so I'm used to seeing appalling writing!

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:00:53 AM PST
I managed to send out a product one day about Chile, spelling it Chili...lol...I was hunger at the time I guess

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:07:01 AM PST
Typos are a fact of life, you can only hope that they are funny. Lovall is just appalling and her vamp books are listed as for teens. No, oh no, he!! no. Teens have enough problems they don't need this hack.

She is also writing books for adults and has 6 or so books up for sale. People love her. Go figure.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:10:42 AM PST
Neeta says:
SHZ - you must in daylight saving zone - it's just past midnight here. I think perhaps it's the wee small hours that make it easier to decipher such drivel.... you know, getting a bit punchy from lack of sleep acts like how one slurry drunk can understand another slurry drunk when a sober person thinks they're just talking gibberish?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:11:46 AM PST
I copied/pasted your samples and emailed them to my teen. Waiting to see her response. She's as much a grammar nazi as I am so this should be fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:32:36 AM PST
I'm sharing this stuff with my teenager, too. She gets great amusement out of spectacularly bad writing. The only problem is, she wants to be an editor; I worry this sort of thing might make her think twice about her future career:-).

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:36:59 AM PST
Jean says:
Typos are one thing. But some of these examples really do sound like translations-gone-wild; I wonder if that's really the case. As for some of the other stuff... wow, some of those homophones are hilarious. I'm still giggling about "penile colony." Sounds like it could be either very painful or very embarrassing. (A whole colony of... peniles??) ;-p Also, I'm surprised to see that a number of these examples actually occurred in trad-pubbed books. I guess downsizing and cost-cutting is hitting them too, and they're relying more and more on spell-check instead of good old-fashioned "trained eyes on the page."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:39:34 AM PST
Send her the whole mess-it's free.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:48:14 AM PST
Daughter would like to be an editor too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:49:03 AM PST
An idea, thought I doubt she'd finish it. She's vicious about culling less than readable books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:54:31 AM PST
Pity. There are so few 1 star reviews for this author and she wrote a blog whining about the meanies until she was informed she wasn't doing herself any favours then she erased the blog and wrote another saying that she believed in letting everyone have their own opinions. Yeah, right. She totally ignored those reviews and and constructive criticism in them.

There are no reviews below 4 stars on her next two books in the series. No one who would offer any critical assessment has read beyond the first. So she thinks she's just a great writer.

Off to work now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:57:00 AM PST
Curmudgeon says:
The sad thing is, it's very possible this author thinks "penile" is the correct word since it sort of sounds the same

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 8:26:29 AM PST
The lack of precision on the part of authors selecting the correct words is frustrating. Sometimes they select the wrong homonyms, but in others they completely miss the mark with words that are close in sound but very different in meaning.

I think someone else mentioned the use of delegated, when relegated is the correct selection. I've seen this a number of times. I'm also surprised by how many authors misuse adverse vs. averse - in books put out by major publishing houses. Also when authors use dominate when they clearly mean dominant.

A while back I read a book that is now free on Kindle - Enemies and Playmates . There were issues beyond the rampant grammatical/word selection mistakes, but they really made the book much more of a chore to read.

Just a few expamples: mulling vs. milling about; site vs. sight; petitioned area vs. partitioned area; comprehensive vs. comprehensible; released on bale vs. bail; take charge roll vs. role. Such sloppiness really diminishes the work.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:58:38 AM PST
ambrosia says:
Do any of you worry that we read so many badly-written stories these days that our own language skills will deteriorate? I sometimes feel that I've grown too accustomed to misuse of language, poor grammar, and generally poor writing that my own writing (I'm not an author, but for my work, etc.) has declined in quality. I guess if I were truly concerned, I would read more "literature" and leave the smut behind. Oh well, que sera sera.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 1:02:20 PM PST
As long as I'm still seeing the errors and being annoyed by them, I think I'm okay. I'll start to worry when I no longer see any errors. The day I think to myself "wow! The books have gotten so much better, there's no more grammar errors." That is the day I will hie myself off to re-take Freshman English 101!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 4:23:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 4:26:08 PM PST
JerseyGirl says:
The scary part of it is that the author was an attorney and hospital administrator IRL. I hope, at least, "penile" is used correctly in their medical paperwork.

ETA: And her proofreader/buddy is also an author and a physician.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
Biker Romance Part 2 6796 2 minutes ago
Second Chance Romance 5193 4 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 1390 11 minutes ago
hero is keeping relationship a secret from friends and family but heroine doesn't know it. 0 15 minutes ago
Help: can't remember this shifter book 12 23 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4148 42 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 1719 1 hour ago
Weekend Reading - 24-26 June 18 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 3957 1 hour ago
Heroes that grovel correctly *Possible Spoilers* 8984 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  442
Total posts:  9969
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  11 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 49 customers

Search Customer Discussions