Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 12:20:08 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
The Sheikh's Virgin was good because she really tells him off at the end and he is very humble in his apology, but I still felt it was too little too late after everything else.

I did like The Secretary's Seduction (Promotional Presents) because that book was the closest to her non category stuff, most of which I like.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:56:22 AM PDT
readsalot says:
Funny you mention the Sicilian's Defiant Mistress, because I ordered the Marco's Pride right after reading that. I thought SDM an outstanding HP.

re: Julia James

I don't believe I have ever read anything by this author, what is her most popular/liked book? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 8:18:16 AM PDT
Rita says:
<<Human nightlight or burgeoning purity? Thanks Michigangirl and Boogenhagen, I needed a laugh.>>

i have to agree! i am sitting here all by myself LMAO!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 11:51:06 AM PDT
Boogenhagen - Thanks for the Lindsay Armstrong recommendations.

One last comment on Finding Out. I don't believe the OW was ever his mistress though she wanted to be. The OW is from a wealthy family and told the heroine that she does modeling for a 'hobby'. The families of the hero and the OW have associated with each other forever because of their common social status and wealth. Hero told the heroine he never slept with her. It appeared to me that the OW stuck close to him, hoping for more, by using her status as family friend. It certainly didn't help that the heroine was insecure, that the OW was jealous and catty to her, and that people love to gossip.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:11:08 PM PDT
seton says:
2 of her most popular bks are Baby of Shame (Ulverscroft Large Print Series) and For Pleasure...Or Marriage? (Harlequin Presents). I couldn't tell you if they are 'good' or not since I refuse to read her (so not my cuppa).

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:26:35 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Did anyone read For Pleasure or Marriage by Julia James? I see that seton hasn't as they aren't her cuppa - sometimes some of her books I don't like either, but some I do and now I'm wondering if this one is any good.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:37:39 PM PDT
I liked BABY OF SHAME. Its a secret baby situation.

The h's father owned a boating/shipping business and she was the financial officer of it. Her father had taken ill and she went to talk to the H to get him to buy/offer finances to them at a charity dinner. The H took a shine to her and thought she was offering her body while she thought he was offering her an opportunity to talk about the business. She was a bit naive here. They had sex and he went off to an early meeting. She thought he left her after using her. So she left and never let him know about the baby.

A few years pass, the h's circumstances have fallen drastically and her father just passed away. She's been battling the flu and was knocked down by a car and put in the hospital. Social Services took her son away and contacted the H as he was the father. She had put away the info in the event that something happens to her. He comes takes care of her and the h. He also punishes her and tries to do all that he can to have her sign away her custody rights because he didn't think she was a fit mother.

It was angsty and a pretty good story line. The H went to great lengths but he was doing it because of his son. His past history made him very protective of his child. The h loved her son alot too and because of her own history feels the same protectiveness. This part I really liked and made the story.

As to the romance/love between the h and H....there could've been more on the relationship but they slowly got to know each other after their preconceived beliefs of one another was smashed. I think its a believable HEA.

boogenhagen -- can you give more details on Lindsay Armstrong's SAVED FROM SIN? It has an interesting premise.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 1:31:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2011 4:23:56 PM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Has anyone read an oldie by Anne Mather -- "Shattered Illusions?" I briefly skimmed through it at the hospital auxiliary were I drop off paperbacks that I don't want to keep. The H was infatuated with his stepmother for 20 years. He was briefly married at one point but that didn't last. His father passed away a year before the story started and now he was engaged to the stepmother. In all of that time he never actually slept with the woman. Shouldn't that have told him something? Anyway the the h comes to work for the stepmother -- she is pretty sure the woman is her natural mother who left her father and her (probably never divorced which would invalidate her marriage to the h's father). The H ends up seducing the h. So in essence he cheated on his fiancee (the stepmother) with the h. Then he realizes that for 20 years he was just infatuated with the woman. Decides he loves the h and they have a HEA. How could the h want anything to do with him - a man who "panted" after her mother for 20 years? I just found the whole plot - nasty. Does anyone have any thoughts about this one?

Edit: fixed typos

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 1:38:10 PM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Not Boogenhagen, but I can provide you with some details about "Saved From Sin." The H married the h for revenge -- I think against her father. She ended up leaving him. He did love her. She comes up and selling/marketing some product and comes to this woman's door. The woman is a close friend of H's and the night before they slept together. The H was missing the h so much or something like that that he slept with his close friend but treated her like a young "virgin" instead of the experienced woman that she was. The H is still at the apartment. When the woman sees the h she recognizes her and thinks that she was looking for the H. Eventually they work everything out and have their HEA. I think the reader is led to believe that the H had not slept with anyone else while they were separated except for that one night with the friend.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 4:05:36 PM PDT
SandyC says:
Re: "Saved from Sin", I got the impression that the H had one night stands with various women, but no long term liaisons or relationships while he and h were separated. This book is actually a keeper for me in spite of the H's infidelity, because it was made clear that he really did love the h.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 4:19:13 PM PDT
readsalot says:
Thank you, seton, I think I will try one of her books next because the book I started last night is about to become a DNF.

The Marchese's Love-Child - Sara Craven
Why did I even order this. Even the title screamed a "secret baby theme", which I despise with a passion, at times even more than any cheating romance. But this book had good reviews on Amazon and Goodread so I swallowed my trepidation and read some of it and spent most of my night and morning wanting to b*tch-slap the hell out of the h. I don't understand how anyone could excuse this kind of behavior! She's apparently dumped cruelly by the H - so she decides to keep her baby all to herself - for all eternity. Doesn't matter that she clearly didn't have the resources to raise her child properly herself. It really made me want to barf every time she would say something like "for her child..." this or that because obviously, nothing was for her child but for her self. I think I laughed myself silly when she would whine and cry about how evil the H was to want to take her baby away from her .... when she was doing exactly the same thing, except she was sneakier because she wasn't even going to tell the H or the baby about the other! Arg~!! Avoid this if you hate secret baby themes! -- Sorry, I seriously had to vent, I hated this so much....

re:Shattered Illusions
I agree, nasty! Being infatuated for 20 years...thats more like an obsession and how could the h ever get over something like that. Totally gross.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 5:55:49 PM PDT
readsalot says:

Actually, never mind about those 2 Julia James books lol. I realized too late that they also had a secret baby of sorts, maybe I can attempt those later ...

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 8:56:06 PM PDT
Halo424 says:
I want to know how the same person that wrote A Stormy Greek Marriage wrote For Pleasure or Marriage? I stopped reading Julie James a long time ago but someone mentioned this book so I got it and it was very angsty and I actually liked it. The Hero actually grovelled at the end and he had a lot to grovel for!

Now, I am not adding Julie James to my 'beloved authors' list any time soon but I definitely liked this one. It definitely made me cry and it was a very touching ending and a believeable HEA. Thank you to whoever mentioned it in this thread. I don't know if it was readsalot or seton but it was actually entertaining.

If I keep following this romance community's discussions I am probably going to lose my job, my husband and my money. I think I have spent over $100 this weekend alone in recommended or mentioned books. Oh and the most important thing my eyesight. I have spent too many hours on my Kindle and computer this weekend trying to get them all read! I hate when housework, working and eating get in the way of my reading them too.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 9:18:39 PM PDT
Books&Wine says:
A slightly off topic question. Do any of you guys read non-HP Harlequins? (ie: SuperRomance, Special Edition, etc). I've often enjoyed these books and have tried looking at the Harlequin Forum to pick up ideas for new to me authors. But that forum isn't very active. I trust the recommendations that I've found from most of the posters on the HP threads, so thought I'd ask.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 9:57:31 PM PDT
UGH. I like some of the older Anne Mathers, but this one will be a Do Not Buy. No matter what else happens during the book, the idea that the H is engaged to (and infatuated with) the same woman who has been sleeping with his own father for the last 20 years is enough to gag me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 9:58:59 PM PDT
Is A Stormy Greek Marriage by Julie James or Lynne Graham?

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 10:13:20 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Julia James is very inconsistent as a writer. Some of her books I consider having this great message that just comes across, others are just shallow characters running along the pages.

For Pleasure or Marriage is my good/bad book. The hero was so dense in this one he gives new meaning to the word. This is actually a theme I love. The hero is keeping the heroine as a mistress but she thinks they're in a relationship and then she finds out what he thinks.

I love the book but I do have some issues. The heroine never calls the hero on the fact that he was basically putting her down also. And the hero is so stupid that he has to have his cousin and his cousin's new wife, who are from another book, explain everything to him multiple times and actually tell him how to act.

I do love Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife even though it has elements in it that I know would drive others up the wall. The heroine is a waitress, she meets the hero, something clicks and they hook up. She spends all her time with him worrying that she might be doing something wrong to basically have fallen in with him so quickly, but she's happy because he isn't treating her like she's a fling for him. Meanwhile the hero thinks she's a little dense but likes being with her. He's getting pressure from his mother to marry and he decides that his girlfriend/mistress is so dense that he can just swing home with her in tow, show his mother exactly what kind of woman he likes, not the good girl waiting to be a wife, but rather, why buy the cow when he's getting the milk for free, with the added bonus that the heroine is so stupid she'll never even know what's going on.

And everyone at the party including the hero ignores her, speaking greek and treating her like crap. The next day she finds out from the hero's brother exactly what the hero had done and how he thought of her. She basically went into shock and then almost had a miscarriage.

The book did a lot of things different than most. The heroine basically goes into a self hate that includes the hero and wants nothing to do with him. Meanwhile the hero wanders around wallowing in self pity because now that the heroine is pregnant he'll have to do the right thing and marry her and his life is ruined now.

What I loved was the idea that just because someone isn't into what you think they should be, doesn't make them stupid. The heroine calls him on it

I generally like this book a lot but some things weren't resolved and there are parts I would change. I just liked the idea that just because someone isn't smart in certain subjects doesn't make them an idiot and you shouldn't make judgments based on it.

The book by her with the shallow characters that I hated was The Italian's Token Wife. The hero climbs out of bed with the girl he's going to marry, she asks for more money before she'll marry him so he kicks her out. Meanwhile the heroine works to clean bathrooms for the rich people and happens to be in the hero's penthouse at the time. He decides to marry her, because his father is blackmailing him to marry someone or he won't inherit the family business. The hero had hired the girl he'd just slept with to marry him and leave quietly after a few months. Now he pays the heroine because it's even better revenge against his father if he marries the dirty, ugly, skinny, toilet cleaner who also happens to have a baby and no father to her child. The heroine agrees for money for her kid and falls in love with the hero because he was just so good looking. The hero completely ignores her existence until he decides to be nice to her and take her for a makeover. When the heroine comes out, lo and behold, she's beautiful and now the hero wants her. There was also another part when they go to have sex for the first time and he finds out she's a virgin. Now she's perfect because she's also completely innocent which makes her beautiful and a good person so he wants her even more. I wanted to gag. Of course the heroine loves him because he's so beautiful also. She was literally too stupid to live and he was too shallow to like.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 10:36:03 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife was good, I just wished she would have met again while accepting the Nobel Prize. The Token Wife one was just appalling.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 6:59:00 AM PDT
Rita says:
i usually don't like julie james work that much but i liked For Pleasure...Or Marriage. i liked how his cousin and his wife yelled at hero when he was so mean to the heroine. yes, he was dense but he could be taught........eventually! it was sad how she thought they had a relationship and he thought she was just a mistress but i loved how strong she became when she had to take care of her baby and i really liked that she was financially independent. i thought he finally grovelled appropriately.

as for greek tycoon, waitress wife, i enjoyed that too. i only skimmed the 1st half but i liked the 2nd half. sometimes i find skimming HP's the only way to go. it saves me from some of the things you all complain about!! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 9:48:42 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Angela, "A Stormy Greek Marriage" is by Lynne Graham.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 9:51:50 AM PDT
foxtail_too says:
Isn't it funny how books strike people so differently? I read Sicilian's Defiant Mistress last night and had to struggle to finish it. The h had potential till she turned into a dishrag, but I had no feeling at all for the H - I thought he was a selfish jerk!

I'm tackling Marco's Pride today.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 9:58:28 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
foxtail_too, Like you I didn't care for "Sicilian's Defiant Mistress" for the simple reason that he didn't tell her he was married. He took away her "freedom of choice." He placed her in an adulterous relationship. While I don't blame him for having other relationships, his wife was in a coma for years, the h deserved to know the facts and make her own choices.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 2:14:46 PM PDT
Reader in NJ:

Thanks for the info on SAVED FROM SIN. Much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 2:44:32 PM PDT
seton says:
B&W -- I follow authors. The only Superromance author I read regularly is Sarah Mayberry. I have heard good things about Karina Bliss and have 2 on my TBR.
I didnt enjoy the SRs by Johnson and Kathryn Shay that I have read.

Do u have any favorites that u recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 3:37:00 PM PDT
foxtail_too says:
BTW, I liked Marco's Pride much better, so I'll keep Jane Porter on my list.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 9 days ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4315 3 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 5055 5 minutes ago
Hilarious Mistakes in Publishsed books (self pubbed or otherwise) thread 2 93 14 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 3345 31 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 5138 33 minutes ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 2101 34 minutes ago
Not Necessarily Clean, but Romance is the focus 10 1 hour ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 871 1 hour ago
Upcoming Releases of Romance Books with Asian Heroines... 404 1 hour ago
Romances that captures your attention from the first chapter itself??? 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  239
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 58 customers

Search Customer Discussions