Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:10:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2012 8:04:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:15:19 PM PDT
But your review of your own book has to be dishonest, don't you think?

How does that review help a reader?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:18:49 PM PDT
As a new author, you're probably just learning the ropes on Amazon. Just so you know, though, it's generally frowned upon to write/post reviews of your own books. I'd delete that one if I were you. If you're looking for reviews, there are lots of folks willing to give your book a looking-over. Seek out bloggers/reviewers in your genre who review self-published books, and offer them free copies. :-)

Best of luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:19:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 7:22:02 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
Sorry I was misunderstood - I meant a reader doing the review helps other readers. But if an author does a review of their own book, which I think is ridiculous, you can always challenge it....don't you think a reader's review would be more believable? As far as reviews - the reader is always right! BUT one way it can be thought of is anyone putting a review gets the ball rolling and I think that is what it is really the goal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:21:30 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
So, are you, or are you not the author of "Is Love Enough?"

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:25:32 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:28:23 PM PDT
"if an author does a review of their own book, which I think is ridiculous"............
...............Yes I am and I am not ashamed to say that I did a review to get the ball rolling"

You hypocritical hack.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:28:49 PM PDT
Splinker says:
How is it dishonest if the author identifies himself?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:29:06 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
Thank you for the insight...serious newbie here! I will take your suggestion and seek out bloggers and reviewers. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:31:30 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:33:31 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
It's against the TOS, dishonest or no. It wouldn't bother me, personally -- somebody had a funny one, maybe it was you, a while back -- except it does skew the star ratings.

Of course, if an author has tons of reviews, the effect on the star ratings is practically non-existent, but then, in that situation, the visibility of the review would also probably be extremely low, because there would definitely be people who voted it unhelpful. And honesty aside, it is unhelpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:34:47 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
You don't think this is dishonest?

>>>I went to the beach just for the day and forgot the book I was reading at the time...thank God I was able to download "Is Love Enough" onto my Kindle. It was an easy, enjoyable read that I was able to finish by the time I headed home. Perfect for the day!<<<

You WROTE the book. This is a lie. Lying is dishonest.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:37:48 PM PDT
Splinker says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:39:03 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:39:52 PM PDT
Splinker says:
No. You are dead to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:40:31 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Funny, sure. But how is it helpful to a reader who is reading what are supposed to be consumer reviews.

Maybe lots of people wouldn't have an issue with it. Probably lots of people wouldn't. Like I said, I don't have an issue with it, although I don't find it helpful. I wouldn't generally find it meaningful enough to vote either way, but ...

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:42:02 PM PDT
Splinker says:
It gives the reader a glimpse of the author's voice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:42:22 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Why not get your friend to say it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:43:44 PM PDT
"Can we call it a white lie with an unharming goal?"

Nope. What we can do is call it what it is: a bald-faced lie to deceive customers and line your own pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:44:08 PM PDT
And here's some honesty as per your request. Your writing is so full of clichés that I may burst a blood vessel.

"With her thoughts consumed by the past, she continues to go through the motions in the present but can only dream about the future."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:44:45 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:46:01 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Perhaps that's helpful to some readers. It's intrusive to me, and not at all helpful. I'm sure some readers would enjoy it. But whatever. If it were within TOS (and not technically a violation of FCC rules), I wouldn't care.

Honestly even now, Splinker, I don't care. Aside from the fact that whenever Indie authors (self-pubbed, small press, whatever) flout the rules or argue over them, it reflects on all Indie authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:47:44 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
I can take honesty...not insults...but honesty. So thank you for that. This was my first novella it has tons of problems but I enjoyed writing it and hope to get better. If nothing else I will have it for my old age, or maybe to tell my kids that even though I am not the best by any means I didn't let anything stop me when I wanted to do something. I can live with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:51:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 7:52:59 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Then don't sell your integrity by writing reviews for yourself. Google blog tours in your genre. Buy one (a blog tour, not a review!). Get your book sent out to blogs with real readers who will leave real reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:55:02 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Oh, and furthermore, if you really would like to give readers a glimpse of the author's voice as a review of "the best book you've ever written" -- you can write that in the Editorial Review section. Or the About the Author section.

It's not like there's no other choice than to violate the rules.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  214
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions