Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fans of k-dramas... please help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 3638 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 10:56:00 AM PDT
D.M.
Interestingly enough You're Beautiful is also the Most Liked on Mysoju (if ranking is set to Most Liked versus Most Viewed). Boys Over Flowers is the Most Viewed (its #3 on the Most Liked list behind #2 Mischievious Kiss).

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 11:01:09 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Thanks Reader123 for the info!

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:12:40 PM PDT
Hui Chi says:
Rashell, thanks so much for your input and rec. I've heard so much about it and when I'm in the mood for an angsty Romeo-Juliet epic, I'll definitely watch it. I'm also a fan of Park Shi Hoo, having fallen for him in "Family Honor" (he had great chemistry with the female lead and I just loved his devoted/slightly villainous character). Tho it was a slower-paced family drama, the main lead really captivated me. Lol, Park Shi Hoo's always known as the guy who can snatch the main girl even if he's in the "tragic" secondary lead role. He's been in that position twice and snatched the girl both times, which is unheard of in Kdramaland. Maybe it has to do with his swoonworthy smile?

Although I've heard lots about "Dream High" as well, I generally prefer cold or arrogant male leads who fall hard for the female, so Kim Soo Hyun's country boy character may not be my cup of tea. But I did really love him in "METS," so I may give it a shot. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 1:45:31 PM PDT
@Hui Chi: I can completely understand how Park Shi Hoo could keep snatching the girl even as a second lead. There really is just something about his smile that is so sweet and mischevious. And yet he can bring the intensity when needed too. I was so impressed with him. I'm going to have to look into his other roles.

Dream High is really fun. And Song Sam Dong (Kim Soo Hyun) is a great character. For almost all of the series, he is definitely NOT a typical cold k-drama H. He does have one arch where he goes to a darker place and you see his ability to be a guy like King Hwon. But still for the most part he's just this adorable adoring boy...but I loved him there too. In Dream High, it's really the h who is the cold unemotional one. If you're looking for a fun drama, with a little bit of angst too then Dream High is good choice. There is some romance, but mostly it's about these kids chasing their dreams.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:53:42 AM PDT
Watched the first two episodes of Rooftop Prince - looks like it may be a fun rom/com.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 7:42:25 PM PDT
@Reader123: I'm following both Rooftop Prince and King2Hearts at dramabeans. Viki is subbing both. But after watching Moon and having to wait for new episodes, I'm trying to avoid watching a currently airing drama. But I agree that both have the potential to be winners.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:07:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 11:57:56 PM PDT
Adnana says:
I watched a drama which, I think, hasn't been mentioned here before and I'm amazed at how much of a surprise it was and how much I ended up loving it. Why am I amazed? Well, because, sight-unseen, just from reading about its plot, I was dead-set against this drama, as its premise is one which I've resented in every other series in which I had encountered it so far. But somehow, this show taught me different. And if I've learned anything, it is to try being less fixed in my expectations, be they positive or negative. Seemingly, I can be unimpressed with a drama like "Brilliant Legacy", which executes a concept I love (down-on-her luck, hard-working heroine paired with spoiled, arrogant chaebol heir). And I can fall in love with a show like "Scent of a Woman", in which the dreaded 'terminal disease' plot device is played out.
But hey, at least this drama is honest. In shows like "Autumn Tale" or "Stairway to Heaven", just when things are supposed to start going well, out of the blue you get hit with the heroine learning she is sick and then eventually dying (and at least one of the male leads dies as well). In "Scent of a Woman", however, you learn it from the first episode: the heroine is diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 6 months to live. Interesting thing though: this drama isn't about the heroine dying; it is about her finally starting to live.
So, what do I say? I loved the heroine (she's the actress who played Kim Sam-Soon). She has superb chemistry with the Hero (I can only compare it to the chemistry between the leads in "Secret Garden"). They have some scenes where they dance the tango together and gosh... I thought my laptop would go up in flames. And it feels like they have entire conversations with their eyes, that is how much longing and passion and frustration they can convey just by looking at each other.
Of course, the hero is really amazing as well. So ok, the actor is grade-A handsome, but, more importantly even ('cause seriously, all kdrama actors are gorgeous), he plays a very deep-layered character beautifully. He starts out as a man who does things only in half measures, because he just can't bring himself to really care about anything -- and that includes living. He's frozen inside, and then he meets the heroine and she is the one person who dares to call him out on his uncaring attitude towards life and teach him to commit fully and to live fully (the way she herself, ironically, only started living after learning that she was going to die). They fall crazily in love with each other and your heart just breaks for them (especially the hero), but at the same time you feel the joy they take in just being together. Also, after the H and h commit to each other, he is absolutelly wonderful in the way he treats her.
I know this sounds like a dark drama and yes, there are, in fact, a few tears shed along the way, but the ultimate effect is in fact very uplifting. Really. ;) Compared with what I heard about "49 Days", for example, "Scent of a Woman" actually has a better ending, I think.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 11:05:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 11:07:32 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
I'm watching Goong (Palace) right now, and it's good! I'm liking it. It has a cute premise but the way the story unfolds really draws the viewer in. The first three episodes were really slow with barely any interactions between the H/h, but starting with episode 4 or 5 that's when the story really gets going.

I wish that the hero wouldn't be cold and/or mean to the heroine for much longer, so I'm hoping that that will change soon. You really care about the main characters in this drama, and the H/h have very good chemistry. But I just want the hero to be more open with the heroine and nicer to her. I really feel with her, Shin the hero would make her cry and she'd end up calling him a "bad man" or "a bad jerk", then he'd hold her close and you can just feel the emotion because their chemistry is really good. I'm also liking the secondary hero a lot as well.

I think I've watched a few episodes of Scent Of A Woman, and then didn't continue watching because like you I don't like really sad premises, i.e. the heroine is dying. But now after this good report I will probably go back and watch the rest when I have time. (Oh but it has a sad ending, so I will need to prepare myself if -or when- I decide to continue watching the rest).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 2:01:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2012 9:58:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 2:23:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2012 3:41:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 2:29:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 23, 2012 7:17:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 2:36:02 PM PDT
City Hunter is a great drama.Very entertaining.It has a little of everything in it.If you are a fan of the Korean version of Boys Over Flowers then you'll want to see this since it also stars Lee Min Ho with a much better hairstyle.Read the manga Hana Yori Dango(Boys Over Flowers)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:04:18 PM PDT
@GMB: Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'm really thinking about purchasing a couple of the dramas I really love, so I may end up taking you up on that offer of help. Since you mention Sam-Soon and My Girl as favorites, you may want to try Scent of a Woman that Adnana recommended above. The h is Sam-Soon and he H is the lead from My Girl. And even though this drama is about a woman who has terminal illness, it actually has a lot of happy moments. And SPOILER....It doesn't end sad. She's still alive in the end, and continuing to live each day as the gift that it is with her H that loves her more than anything. And the second lead, her Doctor, is a sweet heart too. It's a really sweet drama.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:06:32 PM PDT
@ D.M.: I don't want to ruin Goong for you, but I feel I should warn you that you should prepare for a LOT more coldness from the H. I really had the hardest time with that drama. It's probably the only one where I seriously considered switching from the H to the second lead. I'm interested in you opinion once you finish, so please come back and let us know what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 12:16:14 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Rashell,

Good thing that you mentioned "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho" again -- I had overlooked it the first time I saw it mentioned, mostly, I think, because I wasn't very impressed with the actor who plays the Hero here after I had seen him in "Brilliant Legacy". I mean, he was ok there, but nothing to really write home about (as an aside, I think that "Brilliant Legacy" was a bit too stretched out at 28 episodes and it made the other male lead TOO good, so that it broke my heart that after all he had done for the heroine and how much he loved her, he couldn't get her in the end).
Anyways, your rec about "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho" intrigued me and I've been watching it. Have to say: I LOVE it and, also, I finally know why so many people consider the actor Lee Seung Ki (the H) so awesome. He's great in this drama. Also, I really enjoy how much focus is given to the H & h's relationship, that they spend the entire drama together as boyfriend & girlfriend (albeit, at first, not in the true sense of these words). They have a lot of beautiful scenes together. I especially like the cute scenes where the H gets jealous, or when he stands up for the heroine before the girl he used to like. Plus, I always find it a delight to see a previously spoiled and shallow man-child fall crazily in love and grow up to become a strong man who would do anything to protect his love. Would love to see more dramas with this storyline.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 4:51:49 AM PDT
Rashell/GMB - Thanks for the heads up on King 2Hearts - I'll definitely watch since the lead actor is the H from My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, which I loved.

GMB - what was the final verdict on Wild Romance? Is it worth watching?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 8:42:16 AM PDT
@Adnana: I initially didn't watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho for pretty much the same reason. The H just looked too much like a little kid. But after watching all the other Hong Sisters dramas, I felt I had to complete my Hong Sisters experience. So glad I did. It may actually be my favorite of theirs story wise. I agree that it was so refreshing to have the main couple together for basically the entire drama. And they are so adorable together.

@Reader123: Yeah, King2Hearts has actors in both H and h that I've really enjoyed in other dramas. The h is the lead in Secret Garden. I'll keep following and once is 2/3 through I plan to give it a try. And Adnana, it looks like this could be another drama where the couple get together pretty early. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 9:46:57 AM PDT
Rashell

Did you watch Hong Gil Dong - I've avoided it because of the unhappy ending. Should I watch?

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 3:33:10 PM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Rashell thanks for the heads-up, I will come back with my report concerning Goong!

Oh and I watched the first two episodes of Rooftop Prince, I've got to say that from the title I thought that this would be a silly comedy but it's not, it seems like a fast-paced drama/romance. I am surprised by the dark/suspenseful atmosphere the show seems to have in addition to the comedic streak/relief (I loved how the heroine dressed the four guys from the past in different colors). Also that riddle that the hero asked the heroine's look-a-like in the past, they didn't reveal the answer to that riddle, so I'm thinking that the answer is something important to the storyline.

Anyways it's still early to really say how this show will turn out, so far I'm liking it. Even though the first episode was very confusing, the second episode was really good (it drew me into the show) and helped explain some things from the first episode. They also have episodes 3 and 4 uploaded but no subs yet, and episode two ended on a cliffhanger! I hope that they will sub the other two episodes very soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 5:09:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2012 3:42:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 6:03:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 2, 2012 6:39:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 7:43:35 PM PDT
@Reader123: I did watch Hong Gil Dong, but it is probably my least favorite Hong Sisters drama. The ending is not a happy one which is not something you expect with the Hong Sisters. But the point of that drama was about something bigger then just a mortal life. That while Gil Dong did not live the spirit of him lives on. I don't know if I would watch it again. That said there were parts that I really liked. And the message of fighting for rights and equal treatment is something that still resonates today. But if you're looking for typical Hong Sisters Rom/Com then this in not it. I have to say that I went in expecting that and they may be why I was more disapointed then someone who knew what to expect.

@GMB: Yeah, Scent of a Woman seemed like it was going to follow an obvious path, but I really think that it did part from that. Instead of being a story about a woman dying, it really was a story about a woman finally living. In fact, for a story that starts with the h learning that she has a terminal illness, she doesn't die in the end. She continues to live and love. I know what you mean though about picking and chosing. It's a lot of time to invest to watch a drama. Maybe someday you'll go back to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 4:45:48 AM PDT
GMB/Rashell - thanks for the feedback on Wild Romance and Hong Gil Dong, I appreciate it - sounds like there are better dramas to be spending my time on.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 1:21:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2012 9:59:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:44:10 AM PDT
cbela says:
@GMB...

I still haven't finished the last two ep of WR. lol putting off the suspense. I did finish watching DREAM HIGH 2... loved the music and silly but serious moments, too.

What is LOVE FORWARD about so far? does it remind you of any other TW dramas?

Finally... there are several kdramas I want to watch.

I'm excited to watch "LOVE RAIN"... the hero is jang geun suk aka Tae Kyung in YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL. I did not watch his MARY drama.

I read the synopsis for KING 2 Hearts... sounds interesting, too.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  3638
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions