Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:33:11 AM PST
Sandra says:
4myeyesonly- thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:40:55 PM PST
4myeyesonly says:
Sandra,

And she's not taken for a long time. They don't have long separations, which irritates me. Love the h and H in this. Now, remember. It was the early 80s when this came out, I believe. So, it's a bodice ripper. And there is some "even though you're taking me by force, I am quite enjoying these sensations" at the beginning! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:59:21 PM PST
Sandra says:
T214T1987- o, I love that mix of hero, he sounds broody since Mr. Rochester and the beast from beauty and the beast are two of the most broody heroes I've read about, but of course they change into sweeties when it comes to their lady loves.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:55:21 PM PST
Sandra says:
B. Darcy- I've never read Sense and Sensibility but I saw the Kate Winslet movie and really didn't care for it, do you know if the book is better than the movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:53:51 PM PST
Sandra says:
4myeyesonly- Thanks for all the info! I love when something happens with the heroine for a while ( like she is taken away from the hero, she leaves him or she gets ill) and the hero gets worried and he realizes how much he loves her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:56:55 AM PST
T214T1987 says:
Sandra....@ Wulfgar...you have no doubt that he love the h and that she is the ONLY one for him. He almost reminds me of Mr. Rochester mixed w/ the Beast.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:24 PM PST
B. Darcy says:
Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility. He is completely devoted to all of the women in his life and head over heels for Marianne. A tragic romanitc figure who is a true gentleman. Of course not that much in-your-face jealousy with him, but his anger at Willoughby is a more admirable emotion, in my opinion.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:43:57 PM PST
4myeyesonly says:
Sandra,
I probably didn't do a great job of describing! He is casually possessive initially. She is a spoil of war, basically. She came with the keep, but he is attracted to her and possessive of her from the beginning. He's just more stoic than some other heroes. Like I said, I re-read it probably 2x a year! SPOILER....

You really see how much she means to him when he loses her for a little while. The villain convinces the king that the keep and Aislyn should be his, and the king takes her away from Wulfgar, and he has to fight in a tournament for her. You really get his perspective of how much he misses her and cares about her. And is upset at court b/c other men pay attention to her. I'm sure you can find it free somewhere by now. Scribd or somewhere online, it's so old. You could try it risk-free! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:08:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 3:11:38 PM PST
Sandra says:
4myeyesonly- Thanks. I like intense crazy possessive heroes who are always afraid that the heroine will leave them, I don't know about the casually possessive heroes...to be compared to a pair of gloves he owns! lol

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:51:41 AM PST
4myeyesonly says:
Wulfgar is jealous...but he is pretty stoic in the beginning of the book. he's almost...casually possessive. more like you're mine in the sense of a possession. i think he even compares her to a pair of his gloves at one point, though i could be mixing books! this book is based on the norman/saxon conflict, and he as a triumphant norman has taken over her keep and taken over HER. her former betrothed is still in love with her, and Wulfgar is very "mine" about him. especially as the book goes on. he has him beaten b/c of a plot to usurp him, and is always wondering if they are seeing each other behind his back. and the real rival, who is obsessed with Aislyn, he is very jealous of. not because he thinks she has any feelings for Ragnor, the villain, but because Ragnor is so obsessed with taking Aislyn from him. his feelings become more intense, the jealousy emerges. he is a very hardened hero who has some sweet moments as the book goes on. it's nice and long. takes a good time to build.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:15:47 AM PST
Sandra says:
4myeyesonly- is the hero also really jealous in the Wolf and the Dove?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:06:41 AM PST
4myeyesonly says:
Haven't seen the Wolf and the Dove discussed in awhile. LOVE it. LOVE Wulfgar. That is a re-read at least twice a year for me. First read that book...25 years ago? That's what sold me on the romance genre. And I like Aislyn, too, the h. Feisty, smart, strong, a survivor. But she falls hard for the H. Definitely not PC, but you know that going into it. Great rec.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:58:02 AM PST
Sandra says:
D. Politis- Thanks for the recs, I really liked Seduce Me at Sunrise- I liked the Wuthering Heights twist but of course it doesn't have all that revenge that Wuthering Heights has which is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:56:29 AM PST
Sandra says:
T214T1987- Thanks for explaining, since The Wolf and the Dove has the most possessive hero, I think I would start with that, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:55:27 AM PST
Sandra says:
tealadytoo- Thanks for the info. Yeah, I see how filming that scene could make him look wimpy or weird.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:13:17 PM PST
D. Politis says:
Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas- Heroine is the only woman hero has ever loved. When she was sick he was going to kill himself rather than live without her. Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, Book 2)

Courting Midnight by Emma Holly- this is a historical set in England but with vampires. Hero becomes obsessed with heroine the first time he meets her. Courting Midnight (The Upyr Series, Book 5) (Berkley Sensation)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:18:34 PM PST
T214T1987 says:
of KEW's books the most possessive in order are:
1.) Wulfgar- The Wolf and the Dove
2.) Brandon- The Flame and the Flower
3.) Raurk- Shanna- the possessiveness here is there, but hampered b/c he has to pretend to be someone he is not for awhile, this is angst, and when they discuss it, the possessiveness comes out alot....it is hard to explain
4.) Cole- Ashes in the Wind

All of these books are un-PC and true bodice ripper historical romance, but not like Stormfire or anything. There is never cheating. But in AitW..the H is married to h's cousin first, yet he was trapped and hates her, only for a small amt of book are they married

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:14:02 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2011/03/the-scarlet-pimpernel

This pretty well sums up the gist of the story (and quotes the staircase scene).

To my mind, the best film adaptations are the Leslie Howard/Merle Oberon movie and the Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour miniseries. There are more romantic scenes in the mini-series, just because it's longer (it also adds a few things not in the book, mostly about Armand, and borrows from the sequel novels.) Neither version has the stair kissing bit although they do have the terrace scene. I would think it would be horribly difficult to film that without making him look like a total wuss. It reads better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:36:55 AM PST
Sandra says:
T214T1987- Thanks for the info. Which book would you say has the most possessive hero?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:35:14 AM PST
Sandra says:
tealadytoo- oooo, that is so romantic, thank you, can you give me any other scenes? Is that scene in any of the movie/ tv versions of the book, do you know?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:27:24 AM PST
T214T1987 says:
Not closed door, but "purple prosey" in some...it is not graphic as 50 shades, but you know what is going on and they do not use stupid words for body parts, it is very sensual, good, and I promise, especially w/ first 4 books, you will love the possessiveness of the males. But i TF&tF...there is sex at beginning and then a while before they have again but the in between is sooooo goood in many ways.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:58:26 AM PST
read4fun says:
@ Sandra
No closed door for Kathleen Woodiwiss books... My fav is Ashes in the Wind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:50:21 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
There is a scene where they return from a party and are going into the house via terrace steps. He is still playing the brainless fop so that she won't find out about his undercover activities to save people from the guillotine. She tries to have a conversation about their marriage but he deflects her and she goes up the steps into the house. After she has gone, he kisses every step she walked on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:41:08 AM PST
Sandra says:
tealadytoo- can you tell me a little bit about how it is shown that he loves her in a totally over-the-top fashion?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:39:46 AM PST
Sandra says:
T214T1987- are woodiweiss's books closed door?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Freebies that you've read - Good and Bad 1026 32 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 2895 36 minutes ago
H insults h and she overhears 12 36 minutes ago
Worst Betrayl Ever!!! 9381 47 minutes ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 6544 1 hour ago
She is fragile and he is huge and intimidating! 62 1 hour ago
Looking For Historical Romance Set In America Possibly 1800's 1 3 hours ago
Hero Who Cried B/C of Heroine? 38 3 hours ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 1407 5 hours ago
Help only this group can give - looking for a romance book 2 5 hours ago
Evil mistress or interfering in-laws or vice versus 89 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions