Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Abbie Glines WTF???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 5:57:20 AM PST
seems to be the same format as If I Stay/where she went - if I stay focused on the first 1-2 days; Where she went was her bf's POV and took place 3 years later

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:50:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 11:51:26 PM PST
ClaireS says:
Here is a good approach by an author. Gayle Forman, the author of If I Stay, has a new work coming out soon, a duet of novels titled Just One Day (coming out Jan. 8), and Just One Year. On her Facebook page and Goodreads page she has announced in advance that this will be a duet of books, instead of having the readers buy the book only to discover that there's gonna be a follow up novel. I really appreciate that, and I respect authors who do this. I wish all authors will do that. I loved her previous works so I'll definitely by this new one.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:07:57 AM PST
M. Moss says:
How do you gals feel about the series that are sold for 2-3.99 only to be sold later all together at a cheaper price?

Not sure if its greed on the author or publishers part but I think I have at least 5 books waiting on my kindle for part 2.

I agree that authors should give a heads up if the book is an on going series or 1 of 3 book series.

My other problem is feeling I'm not getting my bang for my bucks!! I'm buying books at 2.99 or 3.99 that are like 165 pages and I'm kind of feeling like my pockets are being pick yeah the books are good but I rather have a full book and pay 7.99-9.99 than to pay for half a book. Just seems wrong.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:22:52 PM PST
Carrie says:
H to the E to the Double Hockey Sticks YES to this entire thread.

Abbi Glines was an easy buy for me when her books were $2-3.99. The were cute, quick reads that served as palette cleansers between heavier reads. And by "quick" I mean short. Her formulaic style meant I knew what I was getting. The recent price increase in her books totally turned me off and this cliff hanger business has only irritated me further.

So yeah, I also feel like the collective "we" that have supported this product channel from jump... are now being offered an inferior product because it's profitable and encouraged to do so.

The only message I can send if I truly want to read the book... is not to purchase when the hype is rabid and the price is at it's highest. Because another new trend is that when the momentum starts to fall off... the price will drop to $.99 to get us "hold outs" to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:12:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:13:37 PM PST
TPWNN, you are right about the difference between cliffhangers and serials, one can or should be able to read the books in a serial as standalone but not with cliffhangers. Books like The Proposition and Fallen Too Far practically ended with a couple of dot dot dot, come on that is not cool. So initially you think wow $2.99 or $3.99 is not too bad to spend on a good book from a favorite author, then you find out it is going to be $6 or $8 you'll be spending if you want the whole story! I think some authors like Katie Ashley of The Proposition heard the grumblings from some readers and moved the original date of her next book up from March to Jan, but it may be too late for some people they are just pissed off. One thing author can do from now on is to be honest with readers, if your story is going to be a two (or three) parters just say so on the subtitle (like Part one of so and so's story) or in the book blurb. Don't infuriate readers and don't take your success for granted, keep an open and honest relationship with us and just like in relationships in romance DON'T ever make any LIES!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:11:35 AM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
I think Amazon also started offering a program around serialized novels, as well, and that has drawn writers' attention. I admit I've not kept up with it as much as I should. I'll have to ask a couple of people about it.

Atunah (and all), that makes sense. Yesterday was a brain-suck day for me, so not much did actually process, and I wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood about serials versus story arcs. We work with authors on a daily basis, and we try to steer people away from the cliffhanger-style series if they ask us about it, but it's like taking a horse to water. People hear what they want to hear.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:43:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:44:12 AM PST
Angelina K says:
In my mind, a series of books has a separate story in each. (Lisa Kleypas historicals come to mind.) In romance, that would require separate HEA for each book. Can the characters be in more than one book? Of course. But, half a story is not cool. That's what this book by Abbi Glines was: half a book. Too bad it was the same price as most of the previous (self-pubbed) full books I have bought by her.

Yes, we can likely fault 50 Shades for this trend... but at least the book was already written, so we didn't have a year between installments. When Sylvia Day's Bared to You came out... yes, it was branded as a series. However, there was NOT a warning that the story stops practically mid-sentence like it does. It certainly wasn't said that the rest of the story wouldn't be published for over a year.

Champton might be right... returning the books may be the way to go.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:59:08 AM PST
champton says:
Unless I know that the book is part of a series, I have begun returning the books for a refund. I think that 50 started the trend. Each book must have an ending even if there will be a second or third book revolving around said characters. I try to pay attention to reviews which warn that a book is not a finished product.
Authors will only get the message if they no longer recieve financial rewards from readers who keep buying the cliffhangers.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:32:39 AM PST
bknyfinest1 says:
I haven't had this experience yet, but I hope authors are forewarned. I wouldn't buy a sequel under these circumstances. Cliff-hanger endings would do the exact opposite of making me come back for more. My bad memory combined with my reading habits would make me forget that I need to pick up a sequel in a few months. Heck, I can barely remember stuff that I read two weeks ago!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 4:10:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 4:12:04 AM PST
>>>Even extremely popular trilogies like Fifty Shades have less reviews and ratings on the sequels then the first book (15,000 vs. 4500 for the last two)<<<

That's more because of the insane hype of the series by the media when so many rushed out to buy the first book but many did not like it so they didn't continue with the series. That's why the rating is so much lower for book #1 than books #2 and 3. While initially the books were released sequentially they started raking up the enormous sales and reviews when all these books were released on the same date by the new publisher.

With the popularity of Sylvia Day's trilogy and others It does look like the format is popular - at least for now. But I believe with that series she was upfront about the trilogy from the start - to do otherwise is bait and switch and readers and buyers are just going to get angry.

I think some readers like the serials (not really series because they aren't complete books) because they crave the longer stories that supposedly romance readers didn't want any more as Romances have been shrinking in word count and page count since the 90s. They want the longer journey, more ups and downs, characterization and drama that the longer books provided. The difference was those books were ONE book you paid for once and the were plotted better because it was all one story and not a lot of vignettes with cliff hangers designed just to get you to buy the next book. Are these really stories that demand a longer format or is it all just being drawn out with flimsy plotting and overly manufactured angst for more cash?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:12:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:13:53 AM PST
Both of those books may be popular due to the fact that readers did not know ahead of time that they are not complete stories, I sensed a lot of them are venting on forums like these. It remains to be seen how many readers will actually go back and buy the sequels. Even extremely popular trilogies like Fifty Shades have less reviews and ratings on the sequels then the first book (15,000 vs. 4500 for the last two). My personal experience is that I read a book that I liked a lot and I cared about the characters a lot but only for about a couple of weeks maybe until I find something else to read and obsess with. I just finished reading Gabriel's Inferno and Gabriel's Rapture about 2 months ago and liked the books and characters so much, around the same time the author announced there will be a 3rd book. I was so excited and hunted down as much info as I can about the 3rd book but now my fervor has calmed down a bit b/c I am reading couple different books I like. I will still get the book when it comes out but who knows how I feel in a couple of months, it is always a risk for the author. At least that series is not a cliffhanger and the 3rd book will just be a continuation of their story and lives. Perhaps some authors feel like they've made it b/c they wrote a couple successful books but then start pulling stunts like this, I vote with my wallet.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:31:09 PM PST
ClaireS says:
With Abbi Glines' Fallen Too Far and Jessica Sorensen's The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden - both with unexpected cliffhanger endings - on the Amazon bestseller lists, I don't see this authors changing their styles anytime soon. I like their writing styles, it's the lack of warning re cliffhanger that's annoying me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:17:21 PM PST
Atunah says:
Hi, waving back :)

That doesn't bother me at all in that example. Many romances, especially in historical I read are set up that way. Like Eloisa James Duchesses series. I think its 7, so characters from the early books eventually get their HEA. But each book is its own story basically, each couple in each book gets their end. One character has to make it to book 7 if I remember correctly to get their day lol.
There can even be an overarching theme throughout the books. I like recurring characters that way. Or Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series.
But just ending a book in the middle of a cliffhanger with no conclusion with the couple until the next book is really frustrating. Its not really romance then.

To me that is less a series but a book in parts.

Am I making sense? It is late after all and I can't find the right glasses for the computer right now lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:12:12 PM PST
Emma says:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt like it ended in the most depressing place ever. I was really upset with the way she left things.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:38:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 6:40:42 PM PST
Sugar Snacks says:
My frustration is not necessarily with series romance. There are many series that I enjoy reading, even some that star the same couple like Colleen Hoover's Slammed duet. What bothers me with Abbie Glines' newest release is that:

1. She didn't advertise it as part of a series, especially since she has never done this before. And also because the RWA guidelines for romance clearly state that a main criteria for romance novels is a happy ending. If its not advertised as part of a series I'm going to expect a happy ending.

2. The book ended at an extremely low point with everything left unanswered. It felt completely unsatisfying. Other romance series that feature the same couple (Twilight, 50 Shades, Slammed) had endings for each book that answered some questions and there was some sort of transformation for the main characters. Even if they weren't together at the end of the first or second books I still felt satisfied with the progression of the story because it felt like something was accomplished. I didn't feel that way with Fallen Too Hard because the heroine was exactly the same person she was at the start of the book, just completely devastated too. It was depressing, and did I already say unsatisfying? Seriously, it felt like I wasted my Sunday when I got to the end. It's like the story ended mid-climax - mid scentence almost.

What I enjoy about series books is that they allow me to revisit characters and settings that I love to read about. I am completely addicted to Robyn Carr's Virgin River series and Julie James' FBI/DA series. But each story NEEDS and beginning, middle, and end! Please! Don't end it in the middle.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:50:44 PM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
Atunah, hi! *waves like a crazy woman*

So I have a question as a writer. Please don't kill me for asking it, as I genuinely want to know. Say if a writer releases a three-part series, and there are three couples featured, one per book, but one of the main characters from the first book doesn't get her HEA until the third book (but the other two couples do, one per book), is that okay? I completely get the frustration on having to buy six separate novellas/novels to get the full picture for the same heroine/hero. But if there are happy endings, just not a pivotal character's, does that change your perspectives on the books?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:52:08 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Atunah-
I also have a major problem with books placed in the Romance section when its clearly not romance!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:39:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 11:40:22 AM PST
alice weikel says:
I have to agree with you. Too many series to follow. Jami Aldean seems to always finish her books and no cliffhangers. Love the Pardise series. Four books in the series, but each one is about a different couple. GREAT SERIES!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:31:27 AM PST
Atunah says:
Ugh, I am really getting sick and tired of this carp. I have been seeing that one on the top of the bestseller list. It is also listed under romance. It doesn't say anywhere on the description that it is not a complete book but a part of one.
How is it a romance when there is no end of any kind. That is what makes me mad the most.
I read Easy and loved it and now I can't find anything else in this "New Adult" genre that isn't a chopped up mess, but rather a true romance. If you are going to stick it in the romance genre, at least learn what the genre is.

Its books like these that are turning me off the NA before I ever gotten deep into it. I just don't trust any of these authors anymore.
They are being dishonest by not disclosing what their books it. Its all out of greed. I can't believe this book is at #2 in total kindle sales. The more these type books sell, the more the clueless authors think they can stick them into romance.

For now I guess I have to stick with traditional published stuff, until they too start that carp.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:44:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:55:33 AM PST
BookHawk says:
I just read last week or so The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden and wanted to punch this book trough my kindle.I looked through reviews and missed that it ends on a cliffhanger.I hate this new tread of books being duology and trilogy its curtailing my buying in this genre.Like author of this post I want a HEA!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:41:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 5:42:24 AM PST
TrishaLouise says:
I was so disappointed in Fallen to far!

If I had known it was a two part book there is no way I would have bought it. She was all ways an auto buy for me but now I will question future books before I buy them. I hope the author's clue in before they alienate fans....

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:18:52 AM PST
Jean says:
I, too, am a little less likely to quickly one-click these days. I read reviews very closely to see if anyone mentions a cliffhanger. I won't be fooled like that again.

On the plus side of installment books, someone on this forum tipped me off to Tiffany Snow's newest installment book, Blank Slate (Kindle Serial) which is a planned, 9-part serial that you PAY FOR ONCE!! Every two weeks the additional installments are added to the book you have already purchased. What's nice about this (besides the only paying once thing) is that I can choose to read the installments as they are released or wait until I have them all. It's a win-win.

Why can't they all be this upfront? In my opinion, the planned serial makes it fun - not frustrating.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:58:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:59:18 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
She was always an auto buy for me. I even have her Existence series, despite the fact that I probably won't read them because I'm not into paranormal. I got it simply because she is the author. That's how much I love her work: good, clean, YA Romance, very well written, just enough angst, wonderful heroes and sweet heroines and HEAs.
And now this non HEA complete with cliffhanger. I can't recall being this disappointed in an author. Truly, I am saddened. Its one less top notch author on my auto buy list. I kept an eye out for this book from the minute she announced that a new book was in the pipeline. Did I miss that it was a planned installment read?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:20:30 AM PST
B. Lim says:
That why I refuse to read books end with cliffhanger. My brain can't seem to remember anything that much.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:05:22 PM PST
Melanie says:
An unanticipated cliffhanger ending will not hook me, but it will put that author on my do-not-buy list.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions