Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Freebies that you've read - Good and Bad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2015 9:17:17 AM PDT
Mrs C says:
sorry - its been deleted. After reading Zoey's post, possibly due to poor ratings?? No idea if its available on smashwords or another source.

Fair warning though, I seem to be the only one who liked it ;) Somehow, I've ended up w/ 3 other books by that author. Vittorio's something which was totally Meh - I only remember it b/c the H tried to get the h pregnant on purpose to trap her and there is a thread here about the subject. and 2 others I havent read yet but will just out of perverse curiosity.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2015 12:36:47 AM PDT
Mrs. C - I couldn't find Captive Hearts by Kimberly Reeves. Could you post a link?

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:05:53 PM PDT
mjbett says:
One Night In Reno (The Silver Strand Officers' Club) from the freebie thread, 84 pgs.

I haven't actually read this one but I've read some of the author's other Harlequin titles and I like her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2015 7:28:15 PM PDT
Mrs C says:
Seriously, I am laughing SO hard right now.....

I just came back to this thread to post about this GREAT book that I read today. I never really look at Titles/authors so I grabbed my kindle to get the name and the name of this 'great' book is........ Captive Hearts by Kimberly Reeves!! ha ha ha Yeah, h was a doormat and H was an @$$ and the plot was completely unbelievable, but... somehow it still worked for me and I really enjoyed it. :) hee hee..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2015 5:15:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author 20 hours ago
zoey says:
No. It was a contemporary. Weird enough that my review for book is still posted.

I gave a one star review to two books last year and both books were renamed and repackaged and then free again within the same year. I only noticed when I read the summaries and realized they were books with a different title and cover. Sneaky

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:38:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author 22 hours ago
tealadytoo says:
Just curious, was it this one?

Wondering because it says it was re-released (with new ASIN) after "extensive editing and rewrites". That's usually a very bad sign. :=)
(Not free now)

Captive Hearts (Regency Historical Romance)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2015 12:09:10 PM PDT
zoey says:
Kimberly reeves. looks like the book was removed after a number of one star reviews. The review is still there. It was free last week.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2015 12:04:19 PM PDT
Mrs C says:
Zoey who wrote captive hearts? The link isn't working -I love train wrecks. :)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 1:21:38 PM PDT
kathy brown says:
Fighting for Flight (The Fighting Series) by JB Salsbury, it's free today.

This is a contemporary romance with a MMA fighter and a beautiful female mechanic. I really liked the hero, very protective and wild about the heroine. No cheating, a bit of suspense and a virgin h, I enjoyed it..

Book description below:
What happens when in order to win, you're forced to lose?

The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she's content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows and more than she expects.

Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy, Jonah Slade.

Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he's trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he's at the height of his career. But resisting Raven's effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can't win.

Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 3:19:01 AM PDT
zoey says:
CAPTIVE HEART today's freebie

Don't go towards this train wreck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2015 1:34:20 PM PDT
new mom says:
Thanks! I'll check out the thread. I haven't given it a thought before.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2015 6:31:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2015 6:31:47 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
Bertie,

On the right side of the screen (if your screen is made smaller you may not see it) is a "Track this Discussion" button.

If I remember correctly, emails are not immediate. (A couple of hours at least for tracking posts, I have not checked in a while.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2015 5:52:36 AM PDT
Bertie says:
Is there a way to get notifications when a new post is posted in the lend thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 10:04:39 PM PDT
mjbett says:
new mom: FYI, there's a pretty active loan thread in this forum. I don't think I've seen you post there but I apologize if this is old info.
Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx2JJ14STCPZ6ZO
**I recommend reviewing the thread rules if you don't already know 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 5:40:03 PM PDT
M. Hartwell says:
Zoey - exactly

New mom - I almost didn't download it for that very same reason - it's usually indicative of the quality of spelling and attention to detail in a book. Not sure why I decided to try it in the end. I guess the blurb appealed and I was in the mood for that type of book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 11:20:39 AM PDT
new mom says:
You guys had me intrigued until I read the plot description and found a typo in the first sentence "alluded" instead of "elluded."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 10:26:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2015 11:10:24 AM PDT
zoey says:
@m hartwell- I am in same boat with you. When I first spotted it as a freebie, I thought it was a werewolf book. I liked the blurb enough to start a few chapters on my train ride home a few days ago and just finished it. It was kind of like a bipolar read for me. I hated it for most of the same reasons you outlined, but still liked it enough to continue. I think it was because I enjoyed the characters more than the story itself. The H did suffer in the end, but as most of us would say, too late in the book and not enough.

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 8:39:14 AM PDT
new mom says:
I absolutely loved V is for Virgin (V is for Virgin #1) by Kelly Oram and read it in a day. In fact, I liked it so much I broke down and spent $4 on the sequel since I couldn't find anywhere to borrow it. I really liked that it kept me guessing till the end. It's definitely a young adult book while I saw the sequel described as "new adult" since it's a bit racier in language and such.

SPOILER AHEAD:

The first book is definitely not a cliffhanger but the HEA is a little vague and left to your imagination. That bugged me at first until I stopped to think that the main character was only 18 or 19 and it wouldn't make sense for her to pledge unending love to someone at that age. The epilogue jumps forward 4 years and a HEA is hinted at, but the sequel brings the two characters back together.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 8:28:47 AM PDT
:( Par for the course.

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 8:12:43 AM PDT
kathy brown says:
Missing by Noelle Adams - Showing up free today.

I read this book a couple of years ago and liked it. It's a bit of a May/December romance that starts out as a relationship of convenience. It's a shorter book (201 pages), but didn't seem to be rushed since the couple is already involved when the story begins. As I recall the couple only sees each other every three months, but they aren't sleeping around with other people during their breaks.

Below is the description -

Nathan Livingston has more in his life than he can handle--a high-powered job in D.C. politics, a sixteen-year-old daughter he's raising alone, and another daughter who ran away from him, whom he hasn't seen in two years.

He doesn't have anything left to invest in a real relationship. A night of hot sex with Lynn every three months is as much as he'll allow himself, and it doesn't matter that it never feels like enough.

Lynn shouldn't be involved with someone as high-profile as Nathan, since it could negatively affect her successful web magazine, but she just can't resist their nights together.

Then his complicated personal life catches up to their no-strings-attached affair, and they both find out everything they're missing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 8:10:24 AM PDT
M. Hartwell says:
Not enough of a grovel in my opinion, Mary. I think near the end his actions, behaviour and words show he is apologetic and loves her, although she has reached the point of not being able to believe he still wants to be with her. So, I think we should have had a lot more on the grovelling and building up trust part of the story instead of it basically being covered in one chapter at the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 8:05:43 AM PDT
I'm going to have to try this book, I don't suppose there was any sort of grovel?

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 7:55:46 AM PDT
M. Hartwell says:
Wolf Song: A Contemporary Romance is still free and was so riveting I read it in one afternoon/evening. Part of me hated it (for reasons I will mention in a moment) and yet I couldn't put it down.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

The general plot is that Brianna works for a promotions company, meets Cort on a plane trip (he is a famous singer) and although they obviously connect, they don't expect to see each other again for different reasons - her because she is very closed off, proper and private, has enough worries in her life and isn't seduced by his fame or wealth, and him because he realises she is that kind of person.

However, Brianna returns to discover that not only is the business she works for closing down their San Fran office but a co-worker tells her that the boss has basically been changing the contracts she has negotiated to make it look like she won them when really he has been having to do all the work in the background - so she was getting commissions she didn't really earn. She doesn't understand why he would do this but realises that he has been losing money but still supporting her in her job and assumes it's because he felt sorry for her.

At the same time she returns home to discover that someone has been there and her stalker is back (you gradually learn more about the back story as the book progresses). Cort - the H - gave her his card and suggested she contact him if she needed anything. She knows she needs to leave her home and job to get away from the stalker and decides that with Cort's help she can repay her boss's kindness, by getting Cort to sign a promotional deal, and have enough commission from the deal to pay her grandfather's nursing home costs and survive until she can start afresh elsewhere.

In the course of their negotiations, Cort decides they should get married - he is smitten by her and ready to leave his life of fame and settle back on his New Mexico ranch and have a family. She is a little resistant but eventually realises that this could solve her safety issues with the stalker, but she insists she should be able to work so she doesn't have to rely on him to pay her grandfather's bills (although she doesn't say this to him - she just says she doesn't want to live off his money and he says she can work as his manager).

They have a whirlwind wedding, a blissful 2 week secluded honeymoon (during which she definitely falls in love with him), and then they return to a storm of publicity because the media have dug up some nude photos she modelled for years earlier. He immediately decides she is a gold digger and banishes her to his secluded ranch with nothing but her handbag, eventually turning up weeks later and tells her she is a prisoner there and can't leave, does loads of stuff to humiliate her and won't divorce her until he is sure she isn't pregnant. When she is found to be pregnant he makes her sign a document giving him full custody.

Through this she remains calm and composed although she is angry and upset underneath, does whatever he asks because she feels she has let him down, accepts bad treatment from him and his housekeeper, and sticks by her agreements.

The rest of the story is about how their relationship progresses, the way the family acts around them, how she adapts to life on the ranch and the outcome of the stalker problem.

What I hated about this book:

1. In the time honoured tradition of romance novels, the H refuses to listen to reason, refuses to communicate properly and acts cruelly towards the h. He know she was a V when they married but assumes she was holding out for the best and richest man. He knows she told him marriage was a bad idea and insisted he protect himself legally, plus she wanted to keep working, but still pegs her as a gold digger with no morals. The only photos that come to light are from this one photos but he NEVER asks her what made her do it. He never asks her what she needed money for or what gives her nightmares, and he never tries to find out more about her life. He just treats her with disdain and disrespect, even when she continues to be honourable to their agreement and acts classy around his family. Basically, she proves time and time again the kind of person she truly is and he ignores it for months.

2. He just doesn't grovel enough for everything he puts her through. He would have to walk on his knees through miles of those dusty, cactus filled plains to make up for this.

3. The h is almost as bad on the communication front, although you do get a greater understanding of why she is so private and closed-off throughout the book. But in those months of seclusion at the ranch she should have just once pushed hard enough to explain why she did the photo shoot and what it cost her. She blames herself for not revealing things sooner, but he never really gave her an opportunity as he rushed her up the aisle.

4. I don't believe that having nude photos taken is really that big of an issue. It went against the way the H perceived her (which is why he should have dug deeper) but he came from a celebrity world where women did this all the time. Her foster sister is a model and she was originally supposed to do the shots, so they couldn't have been too risqué or she wouldn't have risked her career by agreeing to them. I got the impression they were relatively tasteful but one was a bit racier than the others. I also believe the media would have dug even further and found out about her attack and stalker.

5. Cort was an odd character - jumping to conclusions, getting hot-headed over silly things not just with the h but with his family, never listening to reason (even when he was reasoning in his own mind). early in the book he says he is the sort of person who considers his actions carefully and is a good judge of character but I never see any evidence of this in the book.

6. There were a lot of misspellings and mis-used words, and some formatting and grammar issues, which are annoying for what was actually a fairly well-written book. Just needed a decent proof-reader and editor to tidy it up.

What I liked:

1. The H was completely faithful to h - he had a reputation as a playboy although that didn't come across in his character but after their honeymoon, apart from one drunken night, they don't make love again until the end of the book. He has no desire for anyone else.

2. The book seemed to look more in depth at the characters and their motivations than many romances. I especially felt we got a good picture of why the h is so buttoned-up but willing to make the best of her situation.

3. The h doesn't scream and rant and act like a child but then succumb immediately to the H the minute he gives her a smouldering look. While I wish she had been more open and communicative and forced the H to talk sooner, I did admire her way of dealing with him and his demands. She was cool and collected, she treated everybody with respect and she stuck to her agreements, even when they hurt her. She felt she was protecting herself and unborn baby by staying, because of the stalker, so she felt she had let Cort down in that respect by not being honest at the beginning of the relationship, but I think she would have stuck by Cort even without the baby, if she felt it was important to the agreement she made.

So, all in all, it sounds like I disliked the book more than I liked it and yet I still found it a fascinating read and would consider reading it again in the future. It's billed as an action/adventure romance but in many ways that is secondary to the emotional aspects of the story and how 2 almost strangers went from a marriage of convenience to building something substantial between them. I would love to see it tightened up story-wise (it could have been shorter and I'd like there to be more of a reason for Cort to believe she is a gold digger, while removing some of the inconsistencies) as well as the spelling and formatting being improved.

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 3:37:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2015 3:39:54 PM PDT
zoey says:
An Irish Rose still free

A wee short, but it did leave me with a big smile on my train ride home. What does an Irish Catholic lassie have in common with an Aussie Protestant lad? Plenty of magic. A recommend.

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 7:48:44 AM PDT
beachbaby says:
I picked up You Loved Me At My Darkest as a freebie back in January; it's longer free. It was really well written. I never would've guessed that it was the author's debut. It deals with dark themes (kidnapping and sex trafficking).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  193
Total posts:  1206
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  4 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 75 customers

Search Customer Discussions