Customer Discussions > Romance forum

How to Search the Forums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2011 5:13:59 PM PDT
We seem to have a lot of new people to the boards, who have just read the awesomest book ever, and want more books like that. There is nothing wrong with that. However, to people who have been on the boards for a long time, it can get really old to see the constant new posts looking for books like Twilight or Beautiful Disaste/Thoughtless/Effortless/Fifty Shades of Puce, or whatever book you have just fallen in love with is.

To try to help folks out, I thought I would take a moment to explain Amazon's search function.

In whatever forum you're in, there is a field on the right hand side of the screen. It's under "recently viewed forums", and is called "Search Customer Discussions", the words are in bright orange.

Simply enter the title or author of the book you are interested in talking about, and press go. If the little box that says "search only this forum" is checked, it will only search the romance forum. If it's unchecked, it will search all the forums. If you do the search while a thread is open (for instance, the JD Robb thread, or the Manipulative Reviews thread) you have to make sure the "search only this discussion" is UNCHECKED, otherwise you will be searching for Vampires in the JD Robb thread, and won't get any results.

So, simply search the forums, and PLEASE look into any other discussions that pertain to the books you are interested in. If there are no threads for that book, or if the threads are really old (like over a year) then by all means, create a discussion thread for what you are searching for.

This will help keep your thread, the tenth thread looking for books similar to "XXOOXX" from being downvoted into oblivion, and will keep us regulars who have seen all ten threads about "XXOOXX" from snarking and getting really annoyed with you.

I know this post comes across as snarky, but really, I do only want to help people to understand how the search function works, and save us ALL from endless threads about the same five books.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 5:40:02 PM PDT
Karlyn says:
LOL!!! Another great thread that we will have to bump. And it works for all subjects, not just those five books that are being beaten up like a dead horse.

Want books with an overweight heroine? Pirate heroes? Beauty and the Beast theme? Courtesan heroine? Great westerns?...etc. The search function can provide helpful too.

Sorry for the snark too, but man oh man I know there has to be more then just five good books to read. Right?

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 7:25:58 PM PDT
beachbaby says:
diremommy - Great information!

Is there a way to search for a specific forum? I see that Amazon lists the "Most active community forums" but I have seen other posters mention other forums but I don't know how to go about finding them. Is there a list somewhere with all forums listed along with their respective links?

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 9:21:05 AM PDT
bump

I *think* if you know exactly what it's called, you can just type it into the address bar at the top. for instance- this is http://amazon.com/forum/romance. I do know that spaces count here, unlike the rest of the web. So you'd need http://www.amazon.com/forum/historical romance to get to HR

(double checking to see if that works.)

And sometimes just searching for the section you want brings up those results, but it's iffy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 2:58:58 PM PDT
beachbaby says:
diremommy,
That works perfectly. I was able to find additional forums. Thanks for your help :-)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 10:34:25 PM PDT
You can also search specific discussion forums using google.

In the google search box, enter this
site://www.amazon.com/forum/romance Search1 Search2 "Phrase or Sentence"
where Search1/Search2 are individual words you are looking for
"Phrase or Sentence" is a group of words that must appear together.

For instance, to search for threads involving nora roberts Naked in Death, I could search like this
site://www.amazon.com/forum/romance "Nora Roberts" "Naked In Death"

for spoilers for the best of me, i might search like this
site://www.amazon.com/forum/romance Spoiler "best of me"

I have found google to do a better job / provide more search options for searching the forums than amazon's search tool.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 9:03:59 AM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
Bump. There are more 'same again' threads popping up today!

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 9:11:21 AM PDT
I wish this could be made a sticky. Not only would it it cut down on repeat threads but we'd have longer and more consolidated topic threads so info would be easier to find and keep track of.

I also wish the search feature could be organized at least by date.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 9:45:32 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
I like this thread but if I might make a suggestion -- the title of the thread would indicate how to search for a particular topic or thread but the real issue is searching to avoid repeat threads and maybe the title should indicate that. JMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 10:21:38 AM PDT
Karlyn says:
I think they need to give a short test to new posters with a short tutorial on searching the site, and another short tutorial on the no self-promotions policy. I admit the search feature isn't perfect, and a new thread can be great to learn about newer books. But on the flip side, we've seen 4 or 5 identical threads on the first 2 pages a few times now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 10:24:39 AM PDT
Karlyn says:
The title can't be edited once its live, but if they read the OP they should get the point. I think Diremommy didn't want to restrict it to just the multiple posts issue either as this can be helpful for all users just looking for a specific topic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 10:28:40 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
On rereading the OP, it does appear that it's the repeat threads that she is mainly addressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 10:34:16 AM PDT
Karlyn says:
I think that requires people to just read the first page or two before starting a new thread. the issue will never go away. On the Kindle forum there must be 10,000 threads by now just on the same topic of 'why are ebooks so expensive?'

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 10:42:05 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Oh I completely agree with you. Look at the multiple good indie versus bad indie argument going back and forth on the kindle forum.

I always just review the first 3 pages of the threads and usually the new book discussions are already there. I wasn't sure about editing the title of a thread but it makes sense that it's set once it's live.

I was only suggesting it so that people who never bother to use the search function and who start repeat threads would get a hint if we keep this threaded bumped on the first page of the forum discussions. But you are right, it will probably be as effective as the "self promotion is not allowed" thread.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 11:19:20 AM PDT
For the romance forum, you really need to go back further than three pages, simply because there are so MANY topics. Page 3 only goes as far out as one day ago, which isn't far at ALL, lol!

I can't change the thread title, but I figured if we teach people that you actually CAN search amazon forums, (people seem SHOCKED when you tell them they can do so) and HOW to search, we could at least slow down the duplicate threads. And once they click this thread and read the posts, they can see just how many things the search function can be used for.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 12:11:46 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
I just saw another Fifty Shades of Grey thread about two days ago. I admit that although I liked the book, I don't want to read multiple threads about it -- one is quite enough. Each one keeps repeating the same spoilers and info.

Also I admit that multiple threads look very suspicious like a collaborated effort to market the book by the author and her devoted fans. It might generate interest in a book or it might backfire and turn people off the hype.

I agree with topic of this thread and I only suggested changing the title for those who might not open the thread and therefore wouldn't read the OP.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:16:04 PM PDT
Yeah, if I COULD change it I would, to something more like "how to search the forums and avoid duplicate threads".

Oh well. I guess it would be counterproductive to create a duplicate thread with the correct title, lmao!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 12:28:44 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Or else I could duplicate the thread tomorrow and KarLynP could copy it the day after. :)

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:30:36 PM PDT
HAH! Perfect! Let folks see how annoying we find it to be constantly duped.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:33:38 PM PDT
GerdaS says:
Can this Romance forum help me find which older romance books my favorite authors wrote are now available in kindle format? I have a collection of over 1500 paperback romance novels I have collected over the last "umteen" years, painstakingly completing collections of several authors. I need to find homes for these books to recover their space, but don't want to "loose" them. If I could replace them in electronic format, I could give the paperback versions up! I do reread my favorite series of books when the author comes out with the "next" book in a series.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:35:26 PM PDT
GerdaS says:
Can this Romance forum help me find which older romance books my favorite authors wrote are now available in kindle format? I have a collection of over 1500 paperback romance novels I have collected over the last "umteen" years, painstakingly completing collections of several authors. I need to find homes for these books to recover their space, but don't want to "loose" them. If I could replace them in electronic format, I could give the paperback versions up! I do reread my favorite series of books when the author comes out with the "next" book in a series.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:41:53 PM PDT
You can type in whichever author you are interested in, into the amazon search window, and then click the arrow to search only the Kindle store, and it'll only pull up books by that author available on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 3:58:14 PM PDT
Karlyn says:
LOL!! Now you're thinking {{wink, wink}}

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 6:16:47 PM PDT
Maybe we could have a permanent HaBo (to borrow from the SBTB ladies) thread, so that those of us who forget the titles and authors of books that we read long ago have a go to place, instead of starting a new one all the time...Or is it more organized when there's only one or two solutions for finding lost books? That makes them easier to search...

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 10:40:07 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
bump (or else I am going to have to duplicate this thread)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Historical romances where heroine is a dancer 2 2 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 50 5 minutes ago
Are some of your favorite romance writers "calling it in"? 28 9 minutes ago
Need book title: Harlequin, company shares, elevator 0 21 minutes ago
FREE on Kindle = Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s 719 29 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 4 8492 38 minutes ago
Outlander 81 44 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 2687 45 minutes ago
What is your preferred POW? 7 1 hour ago
Bully to lovers 41 1 hour ago
Heroine heals with her hands and can see whatever is damaged healing 4 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions