Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Christmas/holiday themed reads

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 2:09:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 4:06:50 PM PST
Agnes says:
I know it's only November, but does anyone know of any really good Christmas/holiday/winter themed reads? Basically, I'm looking for an entertaining read with the aforementioned requirement, great characters, a well-written story, and it can be anything from a historical romance to a contemporary read. The whole book doesn't, technically, have to be Christmas themed, but it would be nice if a portion were. For example, Little Women has scenes during Christmas time, but the whole book isn't about it; or the book can merely be more of a winter read as (chilly setting, etc) and less of one taking place during the holidays. I'm simply looking for a nice, atmospheric, maybe even nostalgic read.

I think the whole Christmas mood has hit me early this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Important note: I don't have a kindle or any kind of e-reader and am not looking for a short story collection.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:28:16 PM PST
cathyr says:
The Christmas Knight by Michele Sinclair. Historical (1154) based around Cornwall and London. For the history-curious, Sinclair opens each chapter with descriptions and discussions of Twelfth Night traditions. It's an easy, light romance that takes the Christmas stuff seriously.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:31:19 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2DTTH6PNOSEJL is a thread full of Christmas stories.

Umm, full books:
His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander
A Seduction at Christmas by Cathy Maxwell
A Wallflower Christmas and Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas (Both are rather short novels)
Jane Goodger has a series of Christmas books

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:02:24 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
Oh, and also Winter Fire and Christmas Angel by Jo Beverley
Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight and Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish by Grace Burrowes
His Christmas Pleasure by Cathy Maxwell
A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh (She has a lot of Christmas books, just go to her website's book list.)
An Affair Before Christmas by Eloisa James

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:20:25 PM PST
Another Victoria Alexander Christmas story that's fun and sweet isWhat Happens At Christmas. His Mistletoe Bride by Vanessa Kelly is also good.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:47:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 6:48:50 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
Daniel Plainway: Or The Holiday Haunting of the Moosepath League - I love this book at the holidays. Part of a series, but can stand on its own. (The main couple is unique to this book, the eccentric supporting characters are present in all the books of the series.) Sweet, a bit melancholy, a bit mysterious and all around good book. No steam.

Darn, I wish he hadn't apparently stopped writing.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:26:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 8:26:24 PM PST
read4fun says:
Cockermouth Mail (Regency Romance)
Sugarplum Surprises (Signet Regency Romance)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:45:01 AM PST
Agnes says:
Thanks for the great suggestions so far.

read4fun, Cockermouth Mail is one of my favorite books. It is wonderful.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:58:58 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Carla Kelly's Christmas Collection

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:27:48 AM PST
read4fun says:
A few more:
Marian's Christmas Wish by Carla Kelly
Once Upon A Christmas by Diane Farr
Christmas Wishes (Signet Eclipse) by Barbara Metzger

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:14:28 PM PST
A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, Book 4) is a wonderful book. I just re-read it recently. There is a scene at the end of the book that gives me chills.

Happy Holidays!
NRB/Penny

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:32:48 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
Kidnapped for Christmas - Evangeline Anderson

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:51:28 AM PST
Agnes says:
Do you have to read other books in the Virgin River series to understand things, or does it not really matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:22:41 AM PST
Hi Agnes! No, you don't need to read the other books in the series to enjoy Virgin River Christmas. In fact, some of the books I loved (Shelter Mountain (A Virgin River Novel)) and others not so much. But Ian's Christmas story is a winner! I hope you enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:31:11 PM PST
Agnes says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:07:52 PM PST
Agnes says:
tealadytoo, I almost read all of Cordelia Underwood: Or the Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League years ago but circumstances led to me giving almost all of my book collection away, that one included. The book completely slipped my mind for some reason but I remember enjoying it. I will definitely have to pick it up again and finish it. Do you think Daniel Plainway must be read after reading all of the previous books in the series in order?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:31:30 PM PST
Sara Laughs says:
I read one recently that I really enjoyed but can't remember the title. A carriage accident causes the h and H to take shelter during a snowstorm in a barn. She'd been widowed and her dead husband convinced her that she was barren and that she wasn't supposed to enjoy sex. The H proves the dead husband ver wrong on both counts. The h doesn't realize she's pregnant. They continue to enjoy each other's company in London and there's a very minor substory about an embezzling solicitor that causes them to end up in the countryside together, and by the end they get married.

Anyone remember the name of the book?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:38:22 PM PST
I believe it could be One Unashamed Night (Mills & Boon Historical Romance).

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:44:47 PM PST
Sara Laughs says:
Yes! That's it. I really liked the H and h and the way they just plain old liked each other.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:28:13 PM PST
Cee Red says:
Home for the Holidays by Johanna Lindsey
H seeks revenge for on the family of the man he believes is responsibe for his brothers death. He kicks the h and her sick brother out of their house during Christmas and tricks them into staying at his house so he can seduce the h and ruin her. The H ends up falling in love with h, she finds out the truth and H has to grovel to get her back. Good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:43:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:51:26 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
There are references to the earlier books that would be a little confusing if you hadn't read Cordelia Underwood and Mollie Peer. But it's not significant enough to spoil the book, IMO. Particularly if you've read enough of Cordelia to know how the Moosepath League came to be.

EDIT: There's a new one! I can't believe I missed it. "Moss Farm, or the Mysterious Missives of the Moosepath League". Apparently not available through Amazon yet.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:47:25 PM PST
Aussie Girl says:
Another vote for A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, Book 4). Despite the emotions, (made me cry) totally a heartwarming, feel good story. Five stars.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:13:42 PM PST
Agnes says:
I think I'm going to start with A Virgin River Christmas.

And, for anyone interested, I was able to find all of the following on scribd: An Affair Before Christmas, some things by Mary Balogh (Chistmas Beau, Snow Angel, A Christmas Promise, etc.), Once Upon A Christmas, Christmas Wishes (Signet Eclipse), One Unashamed Night (Mills & Boon Historical Romance), and Home for the Holidays.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:54:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 8:56:49 PM PST
Arual says:
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. This one isn't a romance, but is too good and too funny not to mention. It might be written for a younger audience, but a reader of any age would appreciate it. It's a classic.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:57:45 PM PST
Magelet says:
The Mischief of the Mistletoe: A Pink Carnation Christmas - loved it! :) Who could resist a hero named Turnip, heh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
18 Aug 3, 2015
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
140 5 days ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 5073 4 minutes ago
HP Discussion thread number 2 153 5 minutes ago
I'm looking for a Harlequin romance probably published before 1980 11 6 minutes ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 8456 41 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 4968 43 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 6116 49 minutes ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 865 1 hour ago
Plain Jane For a Plain Jane 5 1 hour ago
MacKenzie's Mountain on Kindle--April 2016 5 1 hour ago
Suggestion for book like Lauren Danes laid bare 0 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions