Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Strange request... Any Romance novels take place during The Black Death?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 10:33:25 PM PST
I know, totally bizarre thing to request. I'm a bit of a history junkie and it sounded like a possibly interesting romance novel story. Just curious if anyone wrote one during this time.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:29:50 PM PST
The Protector (Medieval London) Madeline Hunter

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:21:31 AM PST
M. says:
A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel is set during the beginning of the Black Death, and it deals with it a little.

If you are willing to try science fiction Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is supposed to be excellent -won a bunch of awards- I've read and liked most of her other books but not that one yet. It's not a hard science fiction (the emphasis is on the people/story and not the science) so it may appeal even if it's not the sort of genre you usually read.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:30:21 AM PST
I second the rec for The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - one of the very best books I have ever read. It has a slow start but persevere, it is worth it. It is not science fiction in the traditional sense, except it has a time traveller heroine who accidentally goes back to the time of the Black Death. It is not romance, as such, but if you like history and/or romance you will enjoy it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:52:12 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Forever Amber (Rediscovered Classics) isn't really a romance, but also takes place in that era. It was very controversial when it was first published, and IIRC, banned in Boston.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:34:20 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
The Brat was a good one. Some humor about the h and her superstitions. H has to marry rich due to the plague wiping out most of his people. Medieval

There are more I have read and will try and find the titles. I like this time as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:42:27 AM PST
Forever Amber is a fun read (and the parts set during the plague are extremely well-researched, which is more than can be said for other areas of the book). It's set during the Great Plague of London in the 1660s, rather than the Black Death epidemic of the middle ages.

And I'll add my voice to the recommendations for the Connie Willis book.

Oh, I've just remembered another one, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Again, it's set during the Great Plague of London rather than the Black Death, but it's an excellent book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:58:58 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Oh, you're right. Got my plagues and eras mixed up. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:10:34 AM PST
Once you've seen one plague, you've seen 'em all.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:30:18 AM PST
Company of Liars by Karen Maitland is set in England in 1348 during the Black Death. Definitely not a romance (more of a whodunnit), but very well worth reading.

Erm, can you tell this is something I'm very, very interested in?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:48:41 AM PST
CLB77 says:
Did you read World Without End? It's not a pure romance, of course, but several are central to the story. I even cried over them.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:59:07 AM PST
Noelle says:
IIRC, The King's Brat takes place during The Black Death. I thought it was a great book, very well written but very graffic. Some scenes were very hard to read. Also , because I would want to know, there is no love scenes in this book.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:03:10 AM PST
It's a YA Paranormal/Fairytale, but Keturah and Lord Death takes place during the plague years, and the plague plays a role in the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:46:01 AM PST
pona says:
Shannon Drake (aka Heather Graham) wrote The King's Pleasure (Zebra Books), a book I enjoyed, even if it did have of of my hated tropes (hero in mourning for a lost love). But it also had one of my favorites: forced marriage/marriage of convenience. The heroine, Danielle, had the plague and survived it; the hero's former love had it and died. It's a great historical romance with actual history. Also expect a rough-around the edges uber-Alpha hero.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:30:07 PM PST
jaz says:
Bride of the Dragon by Patricia Phillips. The plague begins about halfway through the book and affects the main characters.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:56:29 PM PST
Once a Cavalier (Time Passages), it is a time travel book where the heroine, a physician in modern times, is transported back during an outbreak of the plague. If I recall right, hero is a physician in his time.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:31:29 PM PST
J. Bergin says:
The Wind Dancer by Iris Johansen (1991). The plague is just an episode in the overall story, not a significant part of the storyline.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:03:07 PM PST
LOL!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:12:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 12:40:28 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:13:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 12:40:15 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:20:06 PM PST
A Customer says:
Katherine by Anya Seton is an unforgettable love story (based on a true story!)

Description:
This classic romance novel tells the true story of the love affair that changed history-that of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, the ancestors of most of the British royal family. Set in the vibrant 14th century of Chaucer and the Black Death, the story features knights fighting in battle, serfs struggling in poverty, and the magnificent Plantagenets-Edward III, the Black Prince, and Richard II-who ruled despotically over a court rotten with intrigue. Within this era of danger and romance, John of Gaunt, the king's son, falls passionately in love with the already married Katherine. Their well-documented affair and love persist through decades of war, adultery, murder, loneliness, and redemption. This epic novel of conflict, cruelty, and untamable love has become a classic since its first publication in 1954.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:25:39 PM PST
cathyr says:
Really, you have to hit *every* thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:31:10 PM PST
Janice, all you're doing is getting yourself reported and putting your book on EVERYBODY'S list of books to never ever buy ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:55:23 PM PST
Congratulations!

You have won today's coveted "Author Without A Clue" award.

Your prize is an all expense paid trip to the very top of each and every Kindle Forum members "Do Not Ever Buy Or Read Anything This Person Ever Writes" list.

Generally we wait until midnight to award this prize, but upon unanimous approval of the judges and based on your behavior, we realized there was no reason to wait.

Once again, we thank you for the opportunity to award yet another truly deserving author this coveted award.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:03:22 PM PST
cathyr says:
I think, given the date, it is only reasonable to award it early. Wouldn't want her to miss out with the end of the world and all!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

ARRAY(0xa251c81c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions