Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Compiling list of hurt/injured heroine ...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 283 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 9:51:54 PM PDT
I love to indulge in a novel where the heroine gets sick, injured by accident or attack and the hero rescues and/or nurses her .... I've tried to find an extensive and comprehensive list with this plot point but haven't been able to :(

If anyone knows of one I'd love to be directed to it ... but if not I'd also love some help to compile one here ... I'm just starting so it's fairly short at the moment! I'm including short synopsis on the injury and hero's reaction both of which could be consider spoilery so...

~~~~~~Beware Possible Spoilers Ahead~~~~~

Julie Garwood -
Historical:
Honor's Splendor - Heroine get's a severe leg injury from a broadsword and when hero discover's it he is furious, protective and gentle ~sighs~ Then he nurses her back to health!

Ransom - Heroine was beat up by villain and accidently cut on her arm by a young boy, the wound gets infected causing fever - Hero takes her to a healer and helps her through having it treated, then helps her deal with aftermath and things she can't do like undress and bathe.

The Wedding - Heroine is attacked and beaten up - Hero furious, protective and brooding. Stay's by her side while she goes through the worst of it.

The secret - Heroine is hit in the head by rock - Hero discover's her unconscious and FREAKS out lol ... Some care and nursing involved but the injury is very minor.

Contemporary:
Shadow Dance - Heroine is shot - lots of hospital scene's.
I know Julie has others with this but I'm drawing a blank so help if you can!

Jude Devereaux
Historical:
The Black Lyon - Heroine jumps in front of an arrow meant for hero ... suffers fever causing the hero much worry! This is probably the first book I read with this theme and the one I credit with making me crave it in a story ... especially because it was more or less a major turning point for their relationship and that is when I love it best!

Kresley Cole
Historical:
If You Dare - Heroine shot in the arm, hero takes her to doctor and then nurses her through it. Also quite adorably through the whole rest of the book he is always reminding her to "Mind the arm" so sweet!

If You Decieve - Heroine contracts Cholera and hero searches for her frantically before finally finding her in a hospital ward half dead and having a miscarriage. Rescues her and nurses her back to health all the while practically losing his mind.

Jennifer Ashely
Historical:
The Madness Of Lord Ian Mackenzie - Heroine is stabbed and almost dies - Hero nurses her to the point of even changing her bed linens and holding midnight vigils. And memorizing every book on how to care for the sick that the household library contained.

Monica McCarty
Historical:
The Chief - Heroine falls ill from a fever and faints in the hero's arms. He nurses her. Illness is brief but so sweet!
I can't recall another McCarty novel with this theme ... did I miss one?

Johanna Lindsey -
Silver Angel - Heroine is poisened in a harem - Great scene's with the hero freaking out!

Lisa Kleypas
Historical:
Secrets of a Summer Night - Heroine gets bit by a snake and has a reaction to the venom. She starts throwing up and being unable to breathe. Hero swoops in carries her to her room and cuts off her corset so she can breathe, intimidates everyone into doing what he wants them to to help and eventually realizes whats wrong and prescribes the cure. Then when she is feeling a little better and she ventures away from the room he gets all worried and upset with her and carries her back to her room lol. Genuinely one of my favorites with this theme.

I know Lisa has other's as well with this theme .. Suggestions?

Like I said just scratching the surface ... and am really craving more stories that I haven't read yet with this theme!

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 10:46:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2011 10:53:25 PM PDT
Kim says:
Great idea!

Threads with similar suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/romance/forum/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdMsgNo=8&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3E0M7YIC0P389&cdMsgID=Mx23GFD0Y60EA97#Mx23GFD0Y60EA97

http://www.amazon.com/tag/romance/forum/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdMsgNo=17&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2EXSYJDAL8YFW&cdMsgID=Mx1YUN87ZJR2G46#Mx1YUN87ZJR2G46

http://www.amazon.com/tag/romance/forum/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdMsgNo=11&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3QUCEH5AZE863&cdMsgID=Mx11WUU0B5XCH82#Mx11WUU0B5XCH82

I'd also like to add Cry No More by Linda Howard - Heroine not physically sick or hurt but goes through emotional trauma and hero takes care of her during that time.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:00:09 PM PDT
Faelynn says:
"His Wicked Ways" by Samantha James has this theme - H kidnaps h from convent for revenge, but on the way home she's stabbed and he takes care of her

"Loving Julia" by Karen Robards

"Something Wonderful" by Judith McNaught

"Mine to Possess" by Nalini Singh, 4th in her Psy-Changling series (and my personal favorite of the series)

"Iron Kissed" by Patricia Briggs is the 3rd book of her Mercy series and has this theme, but to tell more details would be a spoiler

"The Scorsolini Marriage Bargain" by Lucy Monroe is a HP with this theme and I thought it was a good one

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:17:23 PM PDT
derrolyn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:31:05 PM PDT
Larkspur says:
I just finished Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath. The heroine is injured on her way to her betrothed and the H (her betrothed's brother) has to take care of her. I loved that scene. Actually, I just loved that book. :o)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 2:51:20 AM PDT
Kentrina1987 says:
To Wed a Stranger by Edith Layton, The heroine gets very ill on her honeymoon and has to deal with the effects a good part of the book. Loves the hero Miles, he was just wonderful.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 8:37:58 AM PDT
Wow! Thanks for all the additions guys! And thanks to Kim for those great links! I'm working right now but I'm planning to add more of my own when I get home. Keep em coming guys I've already seen at least 5 that I haven't read yet! Yay

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 8:41:36 AM PDT
Animal Magnetism (Berkley Sensation) - h gets shot
Anyone But You (Hqn Romance) - h gets hurt and H is the ER doc
Baby Love - h is beat up when H finds her
Breaking the Silence - h is attacked/raped
Captive of Sin - h is beat up when H finds her
The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel) - h is recovering from time spent in captivity/forced addiction to drugs
Fragile - h is attacked
Her Ladyship's Companion (Berkley Sensation) - h is beat up by her husband (not the H)
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 3) and Lover Mine: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood - h are tortured by enemy
No Control - h is tortured
No Place to Run (A KGI Novel) - h is shot
Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, Book 1) - h is injured in a fight, H is the doctor
Promises - Promises Keep - h is attacked
Queen of Shadows (A Novel of the Shadow World) - h is attacked/raped
A Rose in Winter - h falls in the woods
Falling Down - h is raped
Secrets of a Summer Night (The Wallflowers, Book 1) - h is bit by a snake
Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, Book 2) - h gets sick
Shelter Mountain (Virgin River) - h is beat up when H finds her
Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street, Book 1) - h almost drowned when H finds her, has amnesia
When Beauty Tamed the Beast - h gets sick
Touched by Fire (Seduction Romance) - h gets attacked
Undercover Lover (Siren Publishing) - h is attacked, then shot

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 9:15:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 30, 2011 11:09:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 11:17:57 AM PDT
Try any Diana Palmer book, her heroine usually has something wrong with them, someon's after them, etc. - the older ones are better (The Patient Nurse)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 11:39:32 AM PDT
Noelle says:
Lawless by Diana Palmer-comtemp- h takes a bullet meant for the H

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 11:44:50 AM PDT
"The More I See You", Lynn Kurland, heroine gets shot with an arrow.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 11:48:49 AM PDT
Noelle says:
Marry Me (Zebra Historical Romance) by Jo Goodman-historical western-h is beaten by father to induce a miscarraige and H is the doctor.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 9:39:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2014 2:36:47 PM PDT
KITTYKARMA says:
SPOILER
-----------------------
Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, Book 2) by Lisa Kleypas. h has contracted a deadly illness, which has spread throughout the village. H risks his own life by staying with her to nurse her back to health. Out of desperation, he takes a risk and gives her a small dose of nightshade, which if taken in larger amounts is actually poisonous. After giving her a dose which he hopes will cure her, he leaves the remaining bottle of nightshade at her bedside...intending to drink the entire bottle should the h die from her illness... It's an amazing book and is on my keeper/reread book.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 9:49:54 AM PDT
Yes! I can't believe I forget Seduce Me at Sunrise that was truly one of the sweetest books ever with how Merripen cared for Win in her illness!! I just finished reading Tiger's Eye by Karen Robards ... The heroine is shot in the beginning and oddly enough so is the hero and they end up recuperating in the same room. The hero is always waking her up from her nightmare's ... Someone tries to strangle her and he cares for her neck and then later she's almost killed with a severe head injury and he saves her and carries her to the house so sweetly! Then stands defiantly outside her door even though he's not her husband lol. He's so sweet when he finally gets to see her! It's a very good book for this theme.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 10:57:21 AM PDT
cruisegirl says:
I absolutely love this theme in books as well. I am currently reading No Gentle Love by Rebecca Brandywyne and the heroine "falls" down
the stairs in one particular scene in the book:
SPOILER......BELOW:

and loses child and the Hero is frantic and mad with her recovery. That is the part that I am up to currently. What I thought was going to be
a long boring book because it is approx 600 pages, sort of caught my interest fairly early on in the book. Also what drew me to this book
was alot of people from another forum posted this book up as one that featured a cruel, mean Hero and while I tend to like my Heros totally
Alpha, jealous, possesive and on the mean side (don't know why) I really haven't seen that side of the Hero of this book. I wouldn't
categorize the Hero as awful as the reviews portrayed him. The book is holding my interest. This is definately a favorite theme for
me in books, so keep that list going!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 11:43:49 AM PDT
Noelle says:
@cruisegirl- I've had NO GENTLE LOVE sitting in my tbr for awhile now, I think that I'll have to move it up on the to be read list. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 11:55:20 AM PDT
cruisegirl says:
I've had that book in my TBR pile too for half a year, I don't know what made me pick it up and read it but I did and so far I am somewhat
pleased.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 12:01:32 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Good to know cruisegirl, I've been stuck in my Kindle for awhile and need to get back to the dtb's soon. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 1:03:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 1:26:34 PM PDT
Wendy says:
These are all contemporary:

To Die For: A Novel Heroine is shot and he takes care of her.

Bluebird Winter He takes care of her after he delivers her baby.

T.L.C. She has pneumonia and he nurses her back to health.

When Good Things Happen to Bad Boys "Playing Doctor" in this anthology the hero looks after her when she has pneumonia.

Romeo, Romeo I think (?) this is the Robin Kaye book where the heroine gets pneumonia and H looks after her. If it's not this one its in another one of hers. Heroines are terribly susceptible to pneumonia aren't they?

A Virgin River Christmas I think it's the flu this time.

A Game Of Chance (Bestselling Author Collection) Gunshot wound at the end of the book. I think it qualifies as nursing her back to health.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 10:27:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 10:27:48 AM PDT
Renegade - by Diana Palmer, Heroine is kidnapped and beaten up badly

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 10:31:22 AM PDT
Blood Stains (The Searchers) Sharon Sala - Heroine is a target of a bomb

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 5:51:26 PM PDT
T. West, is the h actually injured by the bomb?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:03:57 PM PDT
Yes, she is. She ends up in the hospital with the Hero at her bedside.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:04:39 PM PDT
Thanks! It's been a while since I've read Sharon Sala, but I'm a sucker for a good hospital bedside scene. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
Heroes that grovel correctly *Possible Spoilers* 9015 18 seconds ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 1467 34 seconds ago
*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA *** 8635 6 minutes ago
Oil rig or drilling romance 18 8 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 498 8 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4944 10 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 2997 14 minutes ago
Best one-liner or zinger you read in a book? 143 39 minutes ago
Does anyone know this book? old western romance 55 1 hour ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 1977 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  126
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2011
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions