Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Is this really a book?? Wife has amnesia...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 6:18:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 6:22:04 AM PST
Heroine/wife is a secretary (or assistant or something like that), she gets a new boss who is actually her husband, but she doesn't know it because she has amnesia.

I think maybe she's closed off/cool with him. There might even be a scene where he's holding her or standing too close to her and she's uncomfortable and shuts down (makes her eyes blank). He notices and says something like [with surprise] "Are you hiding from me??"

And...that's all I remember. It's a series romance. Might be a Harlequin or Silhouette...or Candlelight, etc. Probably from the 80's or maybe the mid/late 70's, most likely not from the 90's.

Does this book actually exist or do I have an overactive imagination?

ETA: He knows she's his wife. That's why he took the job (or bought the company??); he's been looking for her.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:37:22 AM PST
Michigangirl says:
I hope its a book. I'm a sucker for amnesia forgotten marriage stories.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:58:58 AM PST
Doro says:
Land of Thunder - This might be it. It sounds interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:00:09 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I hate it when the intriguing sounding books are not on Kindle. :(

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:00:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 7:02:51 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Someone to Watch over Me (Bow Street Runners) is a wonderful historical if you're into amnesia. :-)
For contemporary, I can recommend Wait For Me. It gets a bit melodramatic at the end, but I really enjoyed it. Here's another: A Christmas To Remember (Harlequin Super Romance).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:13:45 AM PST
Thanks, Dorothy!! Maybe it is. It doesn't sound familiar, but it's been soooo long since I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:47:05 AM PST
HJ, I found it on Scribd!

*off to read it now* :-D

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113197794/Murray-Annabel-Land-of-Thunder

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:47:49 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Yippy! :)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:58:31 AM PST
Darn, I don't think this it. This book is starting out with her in the hospital, being told she's married (she has a ring on her finger) and meeting someone who may, or may not, be her husband.

The book I read, it's not like that. She doesn't know she's married. She's just doing her job at work and her new boss shows up and gets under her skin. Taunts her, makes her uncomfortable, etc.

But I'm still gonna read this one because I like the amnesia trope. Thanks for finding it, Dorothy. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 11:51:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 11:54:59 AM PST
LTR says:
I read Wait for Me and really enjoy it -- if you'd like a contemporary, I second this one!

Oh, I just clicked the link to Christmas to Remember -- this is a GREAT book but I think it was made even better because I'd read the books before it in the series and I didn't realize this book was related to them -- and then at the end of the book I was like "oh SNAP!" (to borrow a phrase from my 10-year-old). Love Kay Stockham -- and recommend starting with Man With a Past Man with a Past (Going Back). I still think "wow" when I read MwaP and can't believe it's an HP.

I sure hope you find the original book -- I'd like to read it too!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 11:55:16 AM PST
JennyG. says:
This one is from 2001 but it does fit your description.

Unforgettable Husband (Amnesia) (Harlequin Presents) by Michelle Reid

Is this stranger really her husband?

For a year, Samantha has been existing with no memory of her previous life. But when a dark, stunningly handsome Italian walks into her life, Sam's past is about to be revealed....

When Sam sees Andre Visconte, she faints clean away. Is her body's instinctive response to him telling her that she's recognized him? However, there are further shocks in store, the first of which is Andre's insistence that he is her husband!

Great book by the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 1:20:27 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Concerning [[ASIN:B000W966FC A Christmas To Remember (Harlequin Super Romance)] and
Man with a Past (Going Back)-I was in the middle of MWAP when you recommended the Christmas one. Perfect timing, and yes, that book is worth a "wow." :-)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:55:53 PM PST
Robin and LovesToRead, I love amnesia books -- going to check out the ones you both posted. My tbr and tbb (to be bought) lists keep growing and growing...

Jenny, thanks! I read that book. It's not the one, unfortunately.

I forgot to say this in my original post, but she doesn't find out that he's her husband until the end of the book.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 2:04:14 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
I must give a mention of one of the best amnesia stories ever, an oldie but a goody: Random Harvest. The film starring Greer Garson and Ronald Colman is wonderful as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 2:13:02 PM PST
LTR says:
Oh that's cool -- I'm so glad you enjoyed them too!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:29:07 PM PST
Michigangirl says:
There was a horrible book, and I hated it The Dark Abyss (Harlequin #500). I don't know if the hero was her boss, I don't think so but I can't remember. I've tried to block most of it. The heroine had no memories and was working whereever she was found. The hero shows up and he's her husband, I don't think he tells her? But tries to get her to remember because he doesn't like how she's living being afraid of experiencing life or something.

The heroine does remember and as it turns out, she was a social butterfly, and fell for the hero. She finally wore him down and he started going with her and then they are going to get married and I think he wanted it pretty hush hush. On her wedding night? Her step mother or mother I don't remember which, shows up after they are married and basically begs the hero to have her back, because he'd been shagging her mom/step mom all along, and that's why he wanted it to be kept secret. And he ignores the heroine like she's just going to follow along with anything he does as long as she gets to keep him, and basically leads the mom on too. It was horrible. And the heroine fell down the stairs?? And got amnesia because she'd seen an article that he'd been with her mom/step mom in a car accident and the step mom/mom had died. IIRC. So basically he goes back to shagging hte mom. And I don't remember for sure if they even attempted to clear that up, but if they did, it was a big fail for me.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 3:42:29 AM PST
back to the to

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:18:37 AM PST
Ok, I'm going to have to check that one out. I don't remember my amnesia book being a wallbanger, but it's been so long since I read it.

Robyn Donald? Yuck. Most of her books are wallbangers. I was surprised that she wrote a book I actually kind of like.

Thanks. :)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:21:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:31:49 AM PST
Nazma says:
Scuse the butting in -
In Dark Abyss he was having a relationship with the step mum before he met the h and not during. H was just another know it all who felt the h was too young to know her own feelings - he loved her but she couldn't possibly feel the same about him. The step mum affair was over but she'd been good to him so he didn't want to hurt her and ended up hurting his wife instead. But the author makes it clear that the relationship was over from the moment he met the h and the wedding night thing was a deliberate misunderstanding.
I don't really like these type of stories where H has had relationships with h's step mum or mum in the past makes me queasy!!

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:36:11 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
This sounds like Mary Wibberly's With This Ring (Harlequin Romance #2316), except I don't remember if she worked for him or not.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:48:33 AM PST
Have you tried HABO at SmartB*****s? They're really great at finding all of those "did I really read that or just imagine it" titles, and while this is usually not my cup of tea, I'm finding I would REALLY love to read this book!

Good luck with your search, and please keep us updated if you find it.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:49:53 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
there is also one where HE has amnesia, comes back as her boss and doesn't remember until the end of the book. Barbara McMahon's One Love Forever

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:59:06 AM PST
LTR says:
Boogenhagen, did you read One Love Forever? The premise sounds great -- and different. The one reviewer said the H and h were briefly married and then he just disappeared when she was pregnant. Now 10 years later, he's her boss and he doesn't even recognize her. Geez, what a slam that would be to your self-esteem!

Thought I'd ask if you've read it -- it looks good and I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ in your opinion (there are so many books to read!).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:04:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:20:50 AM PST
I couldn't find With This Ring on scribd (except in Spanish - maybe I'll run it through Google translate. It'll be laughable, but I'll get the gist.), but I did find a spoiler about it.
From the spoiler, it doesn't sound like the book I remember.

spoiler -

Her relatives are drugging her. I guess so she won't remember her husband?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:06:26 AM PST
BlueSimplicity, I've only been to the smartb website once or twice. Do you think they get enough traffic there so someone would see my question?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions