Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Codependent romance- hero needs heroine like he needs his next breathe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 200 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2011 10:53:12 AM PDT
Sandra says:
Any romances that have codependency- as in the hero needs the heroine or else he will want to die or feel like he can't live or breathe without her.

I know codependency is unhealthy but I am looking for books with this on a purely fictional and fantasy basis- where the intensity of the hero's needs for the heroine is crazy and he feels like he will die without her-

Books I've read like this:
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
The Dark series by Christine Feehan
The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys
Into the Daklands by Michelle Sagara West

any others? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 11:27:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 11:28:47 AM PDT
V says:
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 11:57:23 AM PDT
I was just going to suggest LOVER AWAKENED by JR Ward, but really all of her heroes desperately need their heroines.

Lisa Marie Rice's heroes are often rather obsessed with their heroines. They wouldn't perhaps "die" without them, but life wouldn't mean very much if they lost them.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:20:28 PM PDT
NewDiane says:
"Wake", "Fade" and "Gone" is a YA trilogy with a uniquely bonded H/H.
"Re-Birth" (also published as "The Chrysalids") by John Wyndham has H/H bonded to the extent that they communicate telepathically.
"Touch Not the Cat" by Mary Stewart also has H/H communicating telepathically.
"The Rake" by Mary Jo Putney has a powerful bond between the H/H.
"The Shadow and the Star" by Laura Kinsale also has an extreme bond between them.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:14:54 AM PDT
Sandra says:
thanks so much for the recs!

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 8:04:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 8:05:43 AM PDT
Redandaris says:
Sandra, since it looks like we have the same taste in books I'm pretty sure that you already know the Immortals after Dark serie by Kresley Cole (I mean, who doesn't?) but I still feel obligated to mention it (since it's like my favorite ever with Tairen Soul's serie). All heroes are obsessed with their h but it's worse for some of them : Conrad in Dark Needs at Night's Edge is litterally crazy and would do anything for Neomie and Declan of Dreams of a Dark Warrior is very tortured, so far her darkest hero I believe.
Love this theme, hope recommendations will keep coming.
Happy read >XD

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 11:47:07 AM PDT
Sandra says:
Redandaris- thanks for mentioning Cole's IAD series-I've read a lot of them but I haven't read Dreams of a Dark Warrior yet. Just wondering if Declan is possessive at all? I agree that Conrad would do anything for Neomie- I think Dark Needs at Night's Edge was one of the more romantic books of the series....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 12:11:20 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
He is possessive later in the book but at the start he is one crazy hero. He reminds me alot of Domenico or Simon from Trisha Bakers series. He is a gamma hero. I love your taste in books by the way Sandra!it's very much like my own. Great minds think alike. ;)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:38:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 10:57:08 AM PDT
Redandaris says:
Agree with Redwithabook here. Declan is possessive, as are every heroes in this serie, but it's not his primary characteristic. For me this book was the most complexe and one of the best with A hunger like no other and Dark Needs ; not as romantic because much darker and very dramatic. I believe some people didn't like Declan but I love anti-heroes and I really felt for him. I was a little hesitant about the whole reincarnation thing but it was very well done.
Damn, I want to reread it again now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 1:47:44 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Readwithabook and Redandaris- thanks for the info!- I like gamma heroes too, but only if they are done right, as in totally obsessively in love with the heroine :)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 2:22:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 4:07:10 PM PDT
THE PORTRAIT by Megan Chance

ETA: The heroine is codependent and insecure, and the hero is bipolar. It's a psychiatrist's worse nightmare and it works beautifully.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 2:56:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 3:09:14 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
I just read a sweet story called "Enchanted" by London Saint James. It is almost YA because they are in their early twenties and feel they are soul mates from the beginning.

I also liked the other paranormal YA by Jamie McGuire - Providence and Requiem. Jared loves Nina but not as much as Travis worships Abby.

Oh and I got to add New Species Fury by Laurann Dohner -- very, very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 5:00:37 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Lol I know how you feel! I just have way to many TBRs to get to it right now. :'(

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 6:28:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 10:24:41 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
YA title -- Significance by Shelly Crane

The hero "imprints" on the heroine.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 11:08:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 11:09:22 AM PDT
Redandaris says:
Dear Redwithabook,
I have lots of faves in my library but for some reason I find myself rereading at least one IAD's book per month. I say at least but usually once I've read one, I think of others and well...
As addictions go I find it less costly than shoes-shopping, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 12:29:12 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Katherine Barley- thanks for the rec- I just downloaded Significance, it looks really good!

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 1:11:25 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Sandra -- it's a sweet romance. I liked it alot. When I get sick of kick ass heroines in the paranormals and doormat heroines in harlequins, I got back to YA for a change of pace.

There's also A Rose to the Fallen by April Bostic which fits this thread. The hero is always yipping about how he can't live without the heroine but there is a m/m scene.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 1:27:58 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Katherine Barley- I've been recommended A Rose to the Fallen before but never wanted to try it because of all the bad reviews and the m/m scene is a turn off...

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 1:41:38 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Sandra - To be honest, A Rose is like the poor, paranormal version of BD. The hero is absolutely crazy, madly in love, can't live without you about the heroine. That part is true. He is like Travis in that way. The m/m scene was just badly done - it really made no sense. And yeah, I HATED the ending but having said all that, it was worth reading. It's definitely different. If you want to read it, send me your email and I will lend it to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:41:33 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Lol I know how you feel about her books. They are just so addicting. Have you read her historicals?

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 2:47:05 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Redwithabook - If you are talking about Kresley Cole then I love, love her IAD series but I thought her historicals were so-so/blah. If you love IAD then you would probably like Lords of the Underworld if you haven't read them. They are great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:54:02 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Katherine Barley- If the hero is that crazy in love then I probably will want to read it- is the hero jealous and possessive at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:54:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 2:58:40 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Yes I was talking about Kresley Cole. I liked her mccarick series more than the other historical series. Uv tried her LOU series and have always had trouble getting into it, some are good others are boring. Her alien huntress series is pretty good though.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 3:05:54 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Sandra: Tristian is like Travis in how he feels about his heroine. He always says he can't live without out her, how much he loves her etc. He repeatedly says he will die without her. Definitely, bordeline wacko when the heroine is not around. Let's just say that if we started a thread for heroines who may possibly need a restraining order, then Tristian from A Rose to the Fallen and Travis from BD would be at the top of the list.

Redwithabook: I loved Lucien and Anya's book the most. There have been a few that were simply ok but that book was the best so far. I like the Alien series too.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 3:10:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 3:11:13 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Sandra: There are things about A Rose to the Fallen that I didn't like. The paranormal aspect doesn't work. The m/m scene is jarring and out of place in the story. The hero loves the heroine much more than she loves him. (like Abby and Travis if you ask me) I think she just likes him because he is good looking. And yeah the ending was bad but there is a HEA. But even after all those things, I would still read it again.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  200
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions