Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Clean Romances

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 8:27:11 PM PST
Cate Bell says:
I love reading romances. What can I say, I'm a fluff-lover at heart. But I hate sex scenes. I am so sick of having to skip half the book because it's so smutty. Does anyone know of some really good, clean books that are smut-free? I'm okay with "warm" romance (detailed kisses, or "closed-door" scenes), I just don't want explicit descriptions of bedroom scenes. I like historical the most, including Christian books, but I'm good with modern as well. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:38:56 PM PST
Just A Thot says:
Have you tried the Harlequin Romance line? Usually there's limited/no sex, just a close and loving relationship. Definitely avoid their Blaze and Desire lines. Some of their other lines have encounters of varying levels, depending on the line and audience. Harlequin even has some Christian romances in their Love Inspired line.

No, I don't work for Harlequin, but I do like the way they divide their lines to appeal to different tastes and their volume of production.

You could go to the Harlequin site to read synopses of stories. I think the site also states what the "temperature" of each line is.

Good luck and happy reading.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:42:36 PM PST
Caitie Quinn says:
Ok, first of all - WHY WHY WHY do people keep down voting original posters. If you're not interested in the post, leave the poor OP alone *shakes head* It's not like you don't know what the post is going to be about when you come in.

Second, I think Lynn Kurland doesn't have sex in her books... I'd say I'm 90% sure. I kind of skip over the sex scenes that are there, so I'm leaving that 10% unsure because I may have just hoped over something short.

Kristan Higgins, I haven't read all her books, but no explicit stuff in her books

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 8:52:50 PM PST
I just upvoted the OP.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:55:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 8:56:20 PM PST
LuckyGirl says:
Check out Kristan Higgins. Her books are funny and sweet with yummy heroes, relatable normal heroines and not smutty. Contemporaries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:09:38 PM PST
Me too (and this isn't a common occurrence for me). OP is just stating - very nicely I might add - what she likes to read. Sheesh.

I don't have a ton of recs, but an eBook freebie I got awhile ago (and it's still free) - Hide in Plain Sight by Marta Perry. More of a mystery-romance. No sex that I can remember at all (even closed door).

I hope you find a lot of good recs, Rose.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:19:07 PM PST
Reviewer Aus says:
I can't remember reading many steamier scenes in the Harlequin Romance line, but I also find that line really uneven. There're some great books there, but a lot of them I find pretty boring.

I do like most of Barbara Hannay's books, but they're not always so realistic - everyone is too well-spoken and kind! Here are some by her I've enjoyed:
In The Heart Of The Outback... (Harlequin Romance #3946)
Bridesmaid Says, "I Do!" (Harlequin Romance)
Molly Cooper's Dream Date (Harlequin Romance)
Her Cattleman Boss (Harlequin Romance)

I also liked these two by Jackie Braun:
Mr. Right There All Along (Harlequin Romance)
Moonlight And Roses (Harlequin Romance) (There's a chance this one might have a sex scene in it, but I think it was pretty closed-door.)

Ha! I'd never really noticed Kristan Higgins didn't have steamy scenes.

I really do think many books need them, but obviously Higgins doesn't! My One and Only (Hqn) was by far my favourite of hers, but that's because I'm a big fan of drama, and her others are much more light-hearted.

Bad timing for this one, as Christmas is just over, but I loved it:
Christmas in Cold Creek (Harlequin Special Edition)

I can't help much with historicals because I only read about half a dozen of them a year, and they all have sex scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:28:03 PM PST
Caitie Quinn says:
I love Higgin's earlier stuff the best... Her first book (blanking) and Just One of the Guys (Hqn) - loved both

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:47:31 PM PST
Georgette Heyer's romances are completely free of sex.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:43:35 AM PST
Bookster says:
Just read a new author , Alex Harris not the typical romance and a different format, fun to read, good love story, reads like a movie and a bargain as an ebook or paperback .

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:45:57 AM PST
you might try this thread that we recently had - http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_et_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1YRIVKGT87Y79#CustomerDiscussionsNew

and I think the last post in it, links to a list of clean romances

my guess is that people are voting it down because this topic comes up frequently and previous threads about it could be found by searching the box to the right of the screen

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:00:53 AM PST
ap2010 says:
Montana Bride by Jillian Hart
Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer
Her Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Tailor Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer
All Things New by Lynn Austin (she has a long backlist)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:49:23 PM PST
A. Esposito says:
Almost anything by Lynn Kurland!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:04:42 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
Just the Sexiest Man Alive (Berkley Sensation) by Julie James has very "closed door" sex scenes at the very end. It is a very amusing book. <g> Her later books have actual sex scenes, but they are not over-the-top.

As A. Esposito said, Lynn Kurland. Sex happens, but after marriage, and behind closed doors. Lots of kissing, etc, though. But, check her website and try to read in at least quasi order. :)

All About Romance has a search engine for books it has reviewed, and you can search by "Sensuality," as well as adding other factors (like Contemp, Historical, etc).

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/searchReviews.pl

Judy

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:53:02 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:53:17 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:04:10 PM PST
I just finished one that would be good for you, Marked in Mexico by Kim McMahill. Pricy on the dtb side, but very affordable for a kindle.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:01:56 PM PST
There are plenty of older regency romances that are kisses or just suggestive only. Joan Wolf, Carla Kelly, Laura Matthews, Candice Hern's older books are just some suggestions. Oh, Edith Layton too.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:28:05 PM PST
Arual says:
Marrying Stone and Simple Jess by Pamela Morsi were pretty good (though a little too sweet for me).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:16:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 6:39:42 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Cate Bell says:
[quote]I love reading romances. What can I say, I'm a fluff-lover at heart. But I hate sex scenes. I am so sick of having to skip half the book because it's so smutty. Does anyone know of some really good, clean books that are smut-free? I'm okay with "warm" romance (detailed kisses, or "closed-door" scenes), I just don't want explicit descriptions of bedroom scenes. I like historical the most, including Christian books, but I'm good with modern as well. Thanks! [/quote]

Hi, I feel exactly the same way,I do not want books with sex scenes nor vulgar language in them.

I have only been reading romance[mostly historicals] for about 4 years. My daughter got me started when she recommended Lawana Blackwell and her Gresham Chronicles. That series was the first fiction series of books that I ever purchased,after I read my library's copies,I had to own them so I could re-read them whenever I wished!

I also loved Lynn Austin's A Proper Pursuit with my still favorite heroine-Violet,plus I found it fascinating to read about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair known as the Columbian Exposition.

The Widow of Larkspur Inn (The Gresham Chronicles, Book 1)
The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (The Gresham Chronicles, Book 2)
The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark (The Gresham Chronicles, Book 3)
The Jewel of Gresham Green (The Gresham Chronicles #4)
A Proper Pursuit

You will find many more suggestions here~
http://www.amazon.com/forum/christian%20fiction/ref=cm_cd_et_up_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3KUXV0RAQ4EGJ&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3DLTUV2FP0BY3&newContentID=Mx316J1TI8ZW11Y#Mx316J1TI8ZW11Y

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:40:11 AM PST
C. Hall says:

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:27:53 AM PST
neon moon says:
mary stewart, madeleine brent and barbara michaels/elizabeth peters are all really good writers with little to no steamy scenes.
This Rough Magic (Mary Stewart Modern Classics)
Wings of the Falcon
Summer of the Dragon
The Long Masquerade

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:16:36 PM PST
LTR says:
My taste is all over, but sometimes I just want to read a good simple story. When I do, I'll pick up a Love Inspired series and enjoy it. The first two I read, I didn't realize that they were different than a regular Harlequin so I wondered about the lack of kissing but really, the storylines are usually better because they have to concentrate on them (no five pages of foreplay). And they're sweet. Debbie Macomber writes a lot of good stories with no descriptions of s*x. One of my favorites of hers is Morning Comes Softly but I also liked the series with Caroline's Child. Hope you find some good books to enjoy.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:22:34 PM PST
chichia says:
Just rec'd this on another thread, too. But it is clean and super funny! (I have it to loan also) Doug and Carlie

Blurb: Carlie once ate a whole lemon meringue pie. But she regrets it. She regrets it the way a drunk regrets downing a bottle of Jack Daniels. It was soothing and horribly depressing all at the same time. Carlie, a 32-year-old employee at the Dollar General Store in Commerce, Georgia, dreams of love and literary success, in that order. But love and literary success don't always come easy, especially for a tall woman with a big behind who stocks canned sweet potatoes for a living. She's ten years late on college and only has $167.29 in the bank. In her estimation, she's late on finding love too. The good news? Sometimes there are rewards for late bloomers.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:46:01 PM PST
Ok, two more for you that I just finished. Dead Running and Dying to Run by Cami Checketts. The second one is still free. It is hilarious romantic suspense and on the clean side.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:45:54 PM PST
Here are some of our "clean" sweet romances, which you might like.

A Wife by Accident

Loved Enough

A Man for Mia
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions