Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Modern Gothic Novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 7:53:09 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
I love the mixture of thriller and romance, but am dead tired of Paranormal Romance and the fainting heroine in the dungeons of the huge castle, only to be saved by the hunky hero before any harm comes to her. Does anyone know of any books that have a gothic feel, but don't give up on the realism. I live on realism, don't know about anyone else, but I just eat it up. Mystery novels are fine too, if they're not detective books. Been there, done that. I loved Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier... and a few others that embarrassingly, I cannot name at the moment.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 9:07:38 PM PDT
tealadytoo says:
A couple I've read in the last year or so with a gothic feel are :
Historical : The Dark Lord (The Greystow Brides Book 1) - Karen Keegan
Contemporary :Heat of the Moon, The - Sandra Parshall

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:28:49 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
Thanks, I liked the Dark Lord by Karen Keegan story idea. How well is it written?

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:36:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 8:35:54 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
@BC
Have you read any Anne Stuart books? Moonrise is my most favorite by her. But she has a bunch of modern ones that perfectly fit this theme you're looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 7:32:04 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
How is this author's pace. I was wondering how she writes?

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:15:54 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
Anne Stuart is a pro. Very dark and realistic. Her stories are more of a thriller or action romance. Definitely not slap stick. The h is usually also strong, definitely not TSTL or cutesy. The H in Moonrise is a bit of an anti-hero. Many of Anne Stuart's H's are anti-heroes. If I had to pick an author similar, I would say maybe Linda Howard from the 90's--you know, when she was at her best. Maybe a little bit of Marsha Canham with the way she can get a little dark and twisted with the drama and blood.

Honestly, there's nobody like her. I've noticed some of the newer authors in the past few years have started to get a bit darker and grittier, but for the longest time Anne Stuart stood alone. Some readers think she's too dark and find her difficult to read. It never bothered me and I always appreciated that she had her own voice that set her apart from all other authors. To this day, I've never read a book like Moonrise--and I've read a lot of books.

I know that Ritual Sins is another fan favorite. So is On Thin Ice and Ice Blue. I've read all three and really liked them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 8:18:27 PM PDT
I agree with you 100% Anne...Anne Stuart is one of my favorite authors.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:35:32 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
Eve Silver is another author I really like that has a gothic style to her writing. She writes historical romance. I don't like her more recent paranormal books, but the ones that are straight historical are really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 12:23:51 AM PDT
BC Nellie says:
About when is the year for Eve Silver's older non paranormal books. Why is it that author's works deteriorate over the years? Most people's first works are the best...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 12:57:04 AM PDT
Does the Heat of the Moon have romance?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 1:07:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 1:07:40 AM PDT
BC Nellie says:
I think the name says enough about it... but I wouldn't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 2:37:27 AM PDT
Well the synopsis describes it as 'a frightening psychological mystery' so I didn't want to take romance as a given.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 7:59:30 AM PDT
Anne in VA says:
Here are the 4 books by Eve Silver that are NOT paranormal:
Dark Desires
His Dark Kiss
Seduced by A Stranger (Zebra Historical Romance)
Dark Prince

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 9:39:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 9:42:19 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
The Dark Lord is decent, not spectacular. 3-4 star range for me. I don't recall issues with poor grammar or excessive typos which really bug me. (There's always a few typos, sigh.) I think the issue is that the style is reminiscent of Victoria Holt but she hasn't got VH's mastery yet.

I got it as a freebie. I'd definitely say it's worth a couple of bucks, but not $5 or more. For 99 cents it's a good deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 11:35:58 AM PDT
I don't think anyone is writing modern gothic like Victoria Holt did. She's my go to.

Kate Morton has one book that I would consider "gothic", but it isn't a romance: The Distant Hours. It's an excellent book, though. Also, Northanger Abbey is Jane Austen's light-hearted take on the original gothic romance, The Mysteries of Udolpho. It's not the best Jane, but the worst Jane is better than most of the best of everyone else, IMO.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 11:43:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 11:44:14 AM PDT
Anne in VA says:
I think Shades Of Twilight by Linda Howard has a very gothic feel. Anybody else read that book? It's my favorite by her.

btw...I really love this topic! Thanks for thinking of it BC Nellie.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 12:49:04 PM PDT
I'm not sure if these are what you are looking for, but Amanda Stevens writes like the old gothic novels of the 70's and 80's. And while there is romance, the books are mostly about one character. The first one I read was a short story introduction to the series called The Graveyard Queen.
The Abandoned (The Graveyard Queen)

She has others that are dark more mystery than romance! The Devil's Footprints
I loved The Devil's Footprints, not really a romance, but oh so good!!

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 6:15:49 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
Dark Desires seems to bear a resemblance to the Jack the Ripper case, just a little-from the synopsis and reviews that I read.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 6:29:39 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
His Dark Kiss is really intriguing, I am definitely going to read it.
BTW, is anyone else scared off by covers with semi-nude people making out? It makes me think the read is super cheap and cheesy, I miss out on a lot of good books that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 6:34:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 7:13:13 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
I've read Northanger Abbey, it's pretty funny and satiric. There's a few movies out, I like them even better. There is this odd air in it, as if Austen tells the MC There is nothing wrong with your life, nothing wrong with your new acquaintance! You are not a heroine bimbo!" Because there is literally nothing going on...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 11:32:03 AM PDT
Anne in VA,

I agree with you on the book Shades of Twilight by L. Howard. Very gothic, and very good.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:09:43 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
After watching Sweeney Todd, I think of Anthony as an effeminate name. I cannot imagine a hot Anthony.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:33:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 10:35:15 PM PDT
Barbara Michaels (aka Elizabeth Peters) writes some very very good Gothic-style romantic mystery books. One of my favorites is Be Buried in the Rain. (Sorry, my little link-y button won't work tonight.) Shattered Silk is another favorite, and if you read that one you may want to also read Stitches in Time. The first two, Be Buried and Shattered Silk, are also second chance romances, but not super intense angsty emotional books. Although there are parts of both that can bring tears to your eyes. Stitches in Time involves some of the same characters as Shattered Silk, but the H and h are both new.

Other Michaels books I'd recommend:

Ammie Come Home
Wait for What Will Come
Search the Shadows (although there's a substantial age gap between H and h there, almost enough to really bother me)
The Wizard's Daughter--one of Michaels rare historicals. I ADORE this one. The h at first read seems to be an astonishingly beautiful bubble-head, the kind that normally is the foil for the plainer-but-more clever h, but she has a good bit of common sense and practicality and somehow you end up adoring her anyway. And the H is such a jerk to her at times, but you can read between the lines and figure out exactly how much he really cares, and at what lengths he goes to to save her. Absolutely perfect ending. LOVE this book!

With the exception of Wizard's Daughter, these are all modern with a caveat--they were certainly contemporary for their time, but most of them were written sometime from the 60s to the 90s.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 2:13:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 8:20:07 PM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Barbara Michael's also wrote the historical gothic "Greygallows" back in the day. I really liked that book.
Greygallows

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 10:36:13 PM PDT
BC Nellie says:
Do any of the above mentioned authors have books in male POV?
Just wondering.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions