Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Books like The Unwanted Wife

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2012 3:22:59 PM PST
AReader says:
Does anyone know of books similar to this one where the hero resents being married to the heroine or books where the main characters are married but plan to divorce or seperate? (only to stay together of coarse)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:10:56 AM PST
kate says:
bump....looking for these too

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:56:50 AM PST
Tala says:
A few I've read after The Unwanted life and liked are...
An Infamous Marriage it's historical.
The Tycoon's Secret Affair (Silhouette Desire) by Maya Banks
The Unfaithful Wife (Presents Plus) by Lynne Graham

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:31:28 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Separate Beds-contemporary
Navy Baby-contemporary
What Price Paradise-contemporary
All Things Beautiful-historical
Your Wicked Ways-historical

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:55:43 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Wow. WARNING!!!!

The reviews really make me think that YOUR WICKED WAYS does NOT deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as The Unwanted Wife. It sounds like the scumbag Hero does not sufficiently grovel for the way he treats his wife (including having his mistress sleep in his wife's bedchamber!!!!) and the wife apologizes to him!!! WTF? Eloisa James is always a risky proposition for me and this seals it. No way, no how!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:15:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:16:28 PM PST
B. Lim says:
Ambrosia I agree with you. Your Wicked Ways (Duchess in Love) is not the same as Unwanted Wife. H is a cheater and h is TSLT.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:14:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2014 10:56:59 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
In defense of Your Wicked Ways, it is a beautifully written novel, and one of James' best. I certainly don't support adultery, and I don't agree that the heroine is "TSTL" in this novel.
SPOILERS: The couple married very young and were not mature enough for marriage. After many years apart, their mutual love for music/composition eventually brings them together again as a true couple after dissecting what went wrong with their marriage. The hero is repentant for his past, and present, mistakes. It's one of the most cleverly written novels with its intermingling of characters and music composition. It'll stay on my keeper shelf.

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 9:39:23 AM PST
Dani D says:
For Nick - nearly as good as UW -h and H have a MOC. h falls in love with H, they are happy until he thinks she cheats on him. He treats her cruelly and then is devastated when she loses their baby because of his actions.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 11:20:26 AM PDT
rainy says:
Ice Maiden-its a historical. h is viking, H is scots. h forces/convinces H to marry her in order to get her dowry to release her brother from a slave camp.
SPOILERS:H is already betrothed to someone else that he's never met for duty to king, was on his way to marry her when H became shipwrecked and washed up on h isle. h doesn't tell H what she needs dowry for so H thinks h wants it for her own keeping. h tells H that they will marry and once she gets her dowry then they will divorce and he can claim his betrothed. of course things don't happen the way they expect them too :) I thought it was an enjoyable read and was entertained by it.

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 12:23:56 AM PDT
Hello says:
One Wedding Required! (Wanted: One Wedding Dress) by Sharon Kendrick. Not sure if this is really what you asked for, but in this the h and H are engaged. Hero tries to pick fights with h so she will break up with him. h thinks H is cheating on her, but really something else is the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 1:05:48 AM PDT
He made her sleep in the servants quarters. I would have made him completely gut the house and rebuild it. (He still wasn't a great lover when he went to her when they were trying to make a baby.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 5:18:04 AM PDT
Robin Wilson says:
I didn't say he was repentant immediately, Mary. :-) Neither of them knew what they were doing in the intimacy department, so it took trial and error.

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 8:31:17 AM PDT
rainy says:
Hello can you give me a few more spoilers for One Wedding Required? I'm thinking of buying it but want a few more spoilers lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 9:43:12 AM PDT
Robin Wilson: More grovel needed, much more crawling over broken glass, etc. He also was drunk on their wedding night and made a joke that her bosom must have dissolved in the rain. He needed to suffer more. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 1:41:21 PM PDT
Robin Wilson says:
Mary, we are at impasse. You keep on hating Your Wicked Ways, and I'll keep on loving it. Friends? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 3:14:38 PM PDT
Robin: Sure...I'm right, of course. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014 5:45:58 AM PDT
Robin Wilson says:
Right back atcha, Mary... :-)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 7:37:38 AM PDT
Pauline says:
The Unwanted Bride by Anne Hampson. She's English and he's Australian. They have to marry to get the inheritance. He needs it because at that moment, he's land rich and cash poor. She's been caring for an elderly relative who dies and does not leave her the money she had expected to inherit, because she's (the relative) is angry about the marriage. So she has nothing, and her lawyer advises her to cable her husband to tell him she's coming and go to meet him. It turns out he's away, and his family doesn't let him know about the cable. He has kept the marriage a secret. They don't know she's a half owner of the station and treat her very badly, except for his youngest sister. And we don't see him grovel enough. I wanted to witness him throwing out his nasty relatives.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014 8:50:22 AM PDT
Did he do anything at all to them?

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 9:11:33 AM PDT
The Price of a Bride by Michelle Reid would fit. The H is trying to regain the family island to fulfill a deathbed wish. The man who currently owns it wants a male to leave his money to. He forces the H to marry his daughter as part of the bargain. The h has her own little secret she is promised from her (very unloving) father so goes along with it.

The H is angry and largely takes it out on the h until he realizes why she's going along with it.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 11:00:14 AM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Price of a Bride, I never really got over the hero selling his soul and future children over a plot of land no matter how much it meant to his family. I also know that his family would rather he was married happily and had children with someone he loved rather than with a greedy gold digger over it.

And he spent so long ragging on the heroine for agreeing to marry him with how horrible she was, but her reason was so so so legit and worth it. His reason was not, but everyone excused him. I think the book is decent because the hero turns into a decent guy, but I would have liked that to be confronted and him to actually see that HE was the one that sold himself for something not worth it.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 12:00:14 PM PDT
Sophie... says:
Has anyone mentioned Sale or Return Bride (Harlequin Presents)? It's *very* similar in plot to The Price of a Bride, but I like it better. There's more humor (how much she eats! when she drinks too much at the club :)), the Hero's motivations are more compelling, I find both H/h more appealing. It has weaknesses, of course - their relationship is based on very limited interactions, though that's par for the HP course, it's Over the Top angsty, stuff like that. But it's one of the books that stays on my kindle & I reread all or parts of it regularly.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 12:07:23 PM PDT
Pauline says:
Mary, he said he was going to tell his mother and his uncle to leave and go back to their own homes. Also, his married sister and her husband. Those were the villains in the piece, along with a woman who had originally been hired as household help and had become friends with the married sister. Nobody in that group was nice to the younger sister, who was lame. They made fun of her. And the mother had planned to marry her off to a brutish hired man when she was barely 16. The H put a stop to that and took her to his home.

But I wanted to see (read about) him throwing them all out to witness their humiliation. When he and the h are talking about her arrival, and he points out that they didn't know about her. She answers that Australians, especially in the Outback, have a reputation for hospitality. And he replies that his family is different.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014 5:01:23 PM PDT
I agree, Michigangirl. Even if for no other offense, his remark to her as they were leaving his plane just after she let him know her true relationship with her "sister" that, "she really was a wh@re" would have me going afer his throat. So his selling himself for the island was more noble?

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 8:26:27 PM PDT
Hello says:
Rainy: I'm not too good at this, but I'll give it try. well the H is a former model and now owns a modeling agency. The h works for the H and from the beginning of the book, they are engaged. They actually love each other, so it's not like a convenience thing where the H needs a wife. Anyway, since the H was a model and is so handsome, the h constantly sees other women flirting with him. Although she trusts him, after a while the H starts trying to pick fights with the h so she would breakup with him. The h thinks its because of another woman and the H wants her to think that. They do breakup up for a couple of months, but there is a HEA. The story isn't original, so you can probably guess what's wrong with the H. Also, the book is part of a series,but I haven't read the others. Hope that helped! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
Biker Books Lending 1281 6 minutes ago
*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA *** 8641 18 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 508 43 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 4034 53 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 3018 1 hour ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 9995 1 hour ago
CELIBATE HEROES (not virgin heros!) updated list 327 1 hour ago
Heroes that grovel correctly *Possible Spoilers* 9021 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4953 1 hour ago
Need help finding the historical romance book 0 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions