Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Contemporary books where the hero is prostitute/ or living on the streets?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 10:48:48 PM PST
Camille says:
Are there any more books out there like Finding Home where the hero is a prostitute until the heroine saves him?

Or like the book Poughkeepsie where H is homeless?

Preferably contemporary...

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 9:16:36 AM PST
Camille says:
Bump

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 10:22:13 AM PST
CyMac says:
CRASH IR & ow/ym
Knight In Black Leather ow/ym, H not necessarily on the street, but streetwise

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:28:27 AM PST
A customer says:
Laura Leones Fallen From Grace H prostitute.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:40:29 PM PST
Yours to Take (The Connaghers Book 3) by Joely Sue Burkhart.

I haven't read it yet. I've read the other two and they were great. In this one, I read a sample and one of the H's is one and on the streets. The other H is a cop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:42:44 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I liked both Finding Home and Fallen From Grace. Both, IIRC are also with a younger hero/older (even if only slightly) heroine.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:56:57 PM PST
Carole says:
Not living on the streets but makes his money having sex with older women: Just For Now (Sea Breeze Book 4)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:20:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:20:58 AM PST
Bling says:
Juicy by Pepper Pace. H is homeless. Didn't love the book though; liked it - it was decent.

ETA: Camille, seems like I'm following you around lol! Our theme interests are the same! ;)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:43:26 AM PST
Camille says:
Blitzkrieg-
Thanks for all your suggestions! Haha, yes, I've pretty much exhausted all my other options (looking at book lists, looking at other threads, etc), so now I'm making all these new threads myself, all at once :). I figured with the holidays it's a good time to find good books to read in my spare time.
Let me know if you see any others like these ones that we like. I'll see you around, lol!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:56:51 PM PST
Bling says:
haha, you mentioned the book Poughkeepsie in your opening post. Did you like it?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:25 AM PST
Camille says:
I thought Poughkeepsie was very good, but there was a side story going on with some of the secondary characters, which took up a decent chunk of the story, which personally isn't my favorite. I really like to focus on one story when I'm reading, so I ended up rushing through the rather lengthy scenes with the secondary characters. But I know some people don't mind that. But I thought the main plot was really interesting. I really like the whole hero-overcoming-diversity thing. The story wasn't completely ruined by the secondary characters-- they were just a little much for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:33:29 AM PST
S. Wanner says:
I just got Poughkeepsie and I am about 100 pages into the book. I find it very different then what I expected and what I read about in all the great reviews of the book on Amazon. It seems like perhaps it may have been originally a fanfiction writing. I don't know, I am not saying I am displeased with it, but I am not "thrilled" with it and I am finding it hard to plod through. It comes across as maybe a changed Twilight Fic, does anyone know if it was originally a fanfiction writing ? The main character seems very Mary Sue-ish and I don't feel like I can relate to her. Everything seems too "perfect" in the character and I don't know exactly why, but I am having a hard time with this book. I put it down for a few days and picked up the book called "Forbidden" and I have really enjoyed this book. Very good writing and no Mary Sue-ish characters and lots of intensity in the storyline. I'm going to try and pick back up Poughkeepsie next week and see if I can give the book a better chance with a different mindset. I am a little surprised because the book has really good reviews on it and nobody mentioned anything about the fan-fic like writing or the Mary Sue-ish persona of the main character. I was worried that maybe the book wasnt really that good and the 5 star reviews were from friends of the author, which I am finding happening more and more here on Amazon. But I see here that many of you really liked Poughkeepsie and maybe I am just not seeing the book with the right mindset. I will try it again and see if I can find a way to enjoy it. Any one else have these problems with the book ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:06:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 2, 2013 4:53:12 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:38:25 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
S. Wanner -

Yes, Poughkeepsie started out as Twilight Fanfiction. And most likely, many of those glowing reviews came from those who read it as such originally, and loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:48:12 AM PST
S. Wanner says:
Thank you HJ Leonard !
I had a feeling it was Twi-light fic and while some may really like that stuff, I do not. I see now why I am having trouble enjoying this book. It was hard for me to figure out how so many could love it when I just saw the writing as immature and juvenile. It felt like I was reading a story from a 15 year old girl who wrote from no real life experience and the characters were all flat and lifeless and the main character a total Mary Sue. Thank you again for letting me know it was fanfiction, I am going to ask to return this book to Amazon since it is not my "cup of tea" and I buy so many books from Amazon that are very good. Wasting 12 dollars on a fanfiction is not my idea of money well spent.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:23:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:29:43 PM PST
Camille says:
I enjoyed certain parts of the story (Poughkeepsie). I really wanted to love the book because the synopsis sounded so intriguing, but I would agree that it wasn't quite what I expected and I was let down. I guess I just expected (and desperately hoped) it would wow me due to the subject matter, which it didn't. Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting read, but I mostly was intrigued by the unusual plot. As for the fanfic, I don't really read those so idk, but that's a good observation. I would put the book on my list of books that I think have a really idea for the story, but I wish were re-written because they didn't meet my expectations-- I have a few of those, lol. Its interesting that you mentioned the girl who is the main character being "too perfect", because I definitely felt the same way reading it. I'm a sucker for really heart-wrenching, gritty, realistic stories... So when you get a heavy-type plot like this, and parts of the characters/content don't fit, it's really disappointing.
Again, I DID enjoy the read, but it was mostly because I love romance stories about the characters overcoming sad, real world hardships.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:53:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:54:21 PM PST
S. Wanner says:
Camille (by the way, love your name :)
I had a really hard time with the book Poughkeepsie because it felt like my young teenage daughter's favorite fan fiction readings. I just felt the book was written by someone who really just threw so many things in trying to make a heart wrenching and gritty book but had no idea of what that really consisted of from an inexperienced life viewpoint. Nothing in the book really rang true for me not the characters or the situations. And the main character seemed to be in love with the homeless man almost immediatley. Really, I couldn't figure out why. I also couldn't get past the fact that the homeless man always had clean clothes and kept himself well groomed. I worked with homeless people and none of this rang true from real world experiences. How did he keep himself so well kept living on the streets like he does ? Not to mention she called him "Green Eyes", which sounded so trite and something my teenage daughter would say about a boy in school that she likes. Green Eyes...Please ? It just seemed as if the "homeless living" was a plot device that wasn't thought out well. I loved the idea of a homeless man and a regular girl romance, but this book was not done well and couldn't pull it off. If you do however like heart-wrenching and gritty romantic stories try reading the book Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuman (spelling ?). It was really, really well done and the story line which would typically "not be my cup of tea" because of incest between forbidden love by a brother and sister, becomes really interesting and involving. You believed the love story, the love between them evolves slowly and with real feeling and intensity. It was very well done. The book takes you on a very intense roller coaster ride through your emotions, it was very well written and very indepth. She did an awesome job with it and I really enjoyed the book for being well written and extremely intriguing. I am putting Forbidden on my keeper shelf, but be aware, this book does not have an HEA. I did know this ahead of time from reading the reviews ( I was more careful to read tons of reviews before ordering from both negative to positive, unlike with Poughkeepsie in which I only read the 5 star reviews. The good thing about all this is it made me take my review reading on Amazon more seriously and I realized that many reviews are not honest and possibly friends of the author. I will be much more careful in the future. Amazon did refund my money on the book Poughkeepsie which I am very happy about, since I order so many books from Amazon monthly (7 or 8 per month) and this time was the first time I felt ripped off and seriously disapointed in a book enough to return it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:31:38 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
99 to Nowhere
H and h meet at a shelter for homeless/runaways. I really liked the story. Enjoy!

Callum & Harper Another good read about H and h both getting kicked out of foster care at 18.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:35:56 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I have to pipe in about Callum and Harper. Skip it if you get frustrated with editing issues. It's rampant with them. I really wanted to like and finish it, but it was just too distracting. Harper's name to Jules and back, narrative tense kept switching back and forth from past tense to present tense (I walked across the room/I walk across the room) in mid-paragraph, CONSTANTLY, and there were tons of punctuation and homophone issues (your/you're, etc).

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:28:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 8:31:28 PM PST
Camille says:
S. Wanner:

Thanks for the compliment :).
I agree that the story seemed to be written from a young adult's mind with some of the cheesy things the heroine thought/did. What was disappointing to me was that he wasn't truly "homeless". He had places he could've gone permanently, friends and loved ones who cared about him, etc. So that part right there I felt like the author could have changed to make the story a more emotional, realistic and heart- wrenching read. Its just so frustrating to me to find a story with a plot that's intriguing to me and very unique, but it falls a little flat depth-wise. Like I said before, I've read several books that have my favorite kind of plot but the story turned out to be a let down, and I end up re-writing the story in my head (which is not fun, especially when you've paid for the story).
So yea, it was an okay read for me, but I think that's only because of the potential it has. It's really frustrating reading books of your favorite genre that leave you wanting more.

I do wish that there were more books with this type of story... Homeless/hustler hero, etc.

How do you get a refund? I buy several books each month as well, so I'm a pretty good customer, but there are a couple books I've read that I thought were absolutely horrible, and if it's possible I'd like a refund. Does it have to be shortly after reading the book? Not to sound dense, but I really wish I knew about this before.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:40:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:41:27 PM PST
Bling says:
Wow, thanks for those detailed answers. I do get bothered by grammatical errors and too much drifting into secondary characters so I guess I won't buy it then. Although I'm still interested by the premise, so I will probably search for it in a library.

by the way, second the earlier recommendation of Broken Wing, although it is a historical. BUT it's not a very typical historical, as in heroine feels very new age, and there are no big issues of propriety like in Regency romances, and there is no "ton"/society thing. It reads very like a contemp and I loved it:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:13:35 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Camille, if it is within the 7 day window from the date you purchased the kindle book, just go to 'manage your kindle' and click on the dropdown to the far right of the book title. It gives you an option to return the book.

Blitzkrieg - Many of these book are only e-books as they are self-published, so those would most likely not be available through your library.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:41:57 AM PST
Bling says:
HJ Leonard, Oh? But Amazon does show that Poughkeepsie has a hardcover version?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:52:45 AM PST
Camille says:
Darn! I wish I knew this before! It's definitely too late to get a refund on those books, but at least now I know for the future.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:32:53 PM PST
Camille says:
Bump
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions