Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Karen Marie Moning's next love triangle (spoilers maybe?)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 71 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 27, 2011 11:36:13 AM PDT
HeatherS says:
The Lady Lies is a cute read but Im not sure it should be released as a bound book. Cute to have for free, not sure about spending money on it but I do want to know what happens. It is a Regency where the heroine and the hero's ward start out in boarding school together. The heroine liked to make up lies (like she and the hero hooked up) to make the girls at school think better of her. Something happens and the hero gets extremely upset with the heroine. A few years later they are still aware of each other in passing (hero kind of obsessed with heroine) and he figures out a way to get his revenge. Heroine is trying to ruin her reputation (through lies) so that she won't be forced to marry a bad guy. That is after 11 chapters so I was interested to see what the rest of the story was like. Kind of like the power going out while just getting to the good part of a movie.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:26:01 AM PDT
MD says:
Is Ice availabe on kindle at all or in ebook.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:47:47 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) Yes, but it's not cheap.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:44:33 AM PDT
MD says:
Thanks for the link. I don't mind the price but it says currently unavailable. It's driving me crazy. I want to read it right away not wait for the hardcover to get to South Africa.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:49:12 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Oh. I didn't realize that you weren't in the US.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:50:45 AM PDT
Catniss says:
Has anyone read 'Iced' yet? I too devoured the first 5 books, and I think that I'll never fall out of love with Jericho Barrons. But I'm a little hesitant about buying this one b/c it's from Dani's POV - I liked Dani in small doses but I don't know if I want to read about a 14 year old heroine. Anyway...If you have read 'Iced', what did you think about it?
Also - anyone know what's going on with 'The Lady Lies' - like when it will be published, and is it still up on her website? Is it the whole book or is it unfinished if it is online?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:57:48 PM PDT
P Gallegos says:
I'm seriously waiting for all 3 to be released. I hate cliffhangers so I'm glad this is only 2 years I'll have to wait to read them. I'm curious to know what people thought about this, usually I avoid spoilers of books I haven't read, but this one isn't something I'm dying to read. I'm with you Catniss Dani is ok in small doses.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:41:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 9:47:35 PM PDT
Talltree says:
I read Iced and I both loved and hated it. It was a great mystery and Dani is amazing.

But the Ryodan/Dani, Christian / Dani angle was just pervy!!!! Disturbed me a lot and Im not the only one thinking so - there are 1/2/3/4 rated reviews that all mention this, if you check. If you're a parent of a teen/ preteen girl, do yourself a favour and skip it.

Edited to correct typo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:24:27 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I agree with you Talltree. I both loved and hated it, too.

But the thing that annoyed me the most was the constant change in narrators. I was constantly having to flip back a page, or reread a paragraph to figure out which character was talking.

Additionally, KMM specifically said that this is NOT YA, so I wouldn't consider letting a younger/pre-teen read it. Too much sexual innuendo, etc, even if Dani didn't 'get' it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:53:52 AM PST
Talltree says:
Its not about the YA thing, its actually more about the Lolita factor which was there so much in this book. Ive copy pasted from a review which struck true for me. People who've seen, had knowledge of child sexual abuse, maybe they'd disagree, but by agreeing to read of Ryodan as the hero in the book somehow I felt that I was condoning this...

"Karen has managed to write a total archetype of a predator when writing Ryodan, this is how old depraved men operate when they go for young teenage girls, they become this half parent, half lusting old man to get to these girls, and that's exactly how Ryodan was here. I was hoping that this would not be the case, but alas it was. These kind of predators always also mix in abuse with caring to their "scheme" like Ryodan did, I don't really know how Karen was even able to write this type of predator so well.
This type also searches for girls (and boys) who have been abused, like Ryodan did too, everything was 100% how this type operates.

As for Dani, I really liked her, that I was not expecting, I liked Mac so much (because she was no Mary Sue) that I thought Dani wouldn't win my heart at all, but she did. But the whole aspect of men lusting for her, and her curves which got Ryodan and Christian so hard (when she was dying wtf) didn't work when the girl is 14.

I really don't know if I will be reading the books after this, maybe I'll pick up Karens next series after this, and just wish really hard that Dani does not end up with a dirty old predator like Ryodan.

This book is joining in on the Twilight disturbia where abusing, and stalking young girls is hot etc.

Karens writing is really good, she's really perfected her writing in this genre with the Fever series, the plot was worth 3 1/2 stars which is good for this genre, Dani as a character I would have given 4 stars to (I know she might be too much of an annoying teenager to some readers, but I loved her), the icky aspect of this book was too much for me, I don't like to think of myself as a prude etc. but I couldn't help that this was too much for me."

Ive also done a review for the book, but Im not very good at reviews, so its all over the place. Someone said the book was pedophilic, and I know its a strong word, but the book disturbed me so much that there are moments, I agree with that.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:42:25 AM PST
FollyB says:
I hope the next book she jumps ahead a few yrs., and has Dani looking back as to what happened with the cliffhangers etc

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 5:47:12 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I'm kind of wondering, now that Dani's been -

Spoiler****************

through the mirrors, that perhaps she'll get stuck there like Christian did, for an extended period of time (growing up), and coming back out of them older. That would keep continuity in the timeline, but advance her age more quickly.

Does anyone remember offhand if Kat gets her own series spinoff later? I'm still trying to figure out why she was one of the narrators.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:31:33 AM PST
Talltree says:
There are no cliffhangers in this book. Its a complete and solved mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:49:31 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Except for the last 1/2 page. (Mac)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:51:01 PM PST
Melissa S. says:
Does anyone know if Karen will write more books from Mac's point of view, and where the main plot involves both Mac and Barrons? I sooo wished the fever series had more books *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:56:43 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
IIRC, which is debatable at times, ;), KMM has this series (trilogy?) to finish up, which will take several more years. I'm fairly sure that I saw Mac and Barrons would have a few more books, and I also thought that she was doing additional spinoffs from other characters (ie Kat).

However, she is a very slow writer, so who know how long before these books will actually see the light of day.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:57:56 AM PST
Catniss says:
I'm going to read it, but the grown men lusting over a 14 year old is really uncomfortable to me as well. I'm optimistic so I'm hoping that we're SUPPOSED to feel antagonistic toward aspects of this book. Maybe Dani will get older and meet a guy close to her own age, and Ryodan and Christian will still be creepy weirdos and she'll choose the good, younger guy. If one of them changes dramatically and is disgusted with himself for macking on a kid, or if one or both turn into villains that can't be redeemed, I'd feel better about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:00:18 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
The pedophilia issue is a bit creepy, but then I step back to remember that Ryodan is like what?- 15,000 years old? Even a 50 year old woman is an infant to him. ;)

At least Christian is in the ballpark of reality, and Dancer is only 3 years older than Dani.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:54:57 AM PST
FollyB says:
I am a mother to a 13 yr old,so I was a bit icked out before I read the book. I have to say I LOVED the book! KMM handled everything sexual very well.

And I think I saw she is going to do 2 more Mac/Barrons books

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:29:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2012 4:29:22 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:13:50 AM PST
M. Moss says:
ICED series has 3 books (ICED, BURN?, 3RD?) Then Mac & Barron's get the last 2 books in the ten book series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:44:56 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
The 3rd book in Dani's series is 'Flayed.'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:03:12 PM PST
M. Moss says:
Thanks could not remember the name. I have to wonder what she will write after the series is done.

I loved the Fever series so much I went out and bought her Highlanders but could not get into them, I liked the first Highlander book but found the others to be not interesting.

Same thing with Nalini Singh books, Angels I loved, Psy series not so much.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:23:20 PM PST
Catniss says:
Two books with Mac and Barrons? I am beyond excited about that - I thought she was done with them as leads. I will definitely read this book then...even though the price makes me frown :(

On her Highlander series - I started to read the first book and hated it - it wasn't nearly as good as the Fever series. I think this was was her first book though (?) and she wrote many more of them. Does the writing in the later ones improve, and if so can I start reading in the middle or is it one of those series where you have to start at book one?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:31:39 PM PST
for me, the highlander books didn't really get good until book 4 - which is when the mackelter brothers showed up - daegus/drustan
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions