Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Physical turn-offs in a Hero

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 176 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 15, 2012 3:51:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 4:01:12 PM PDT
I like hairy heroes: chest, belly, back, facial hair. :)) No moustaches so much, though some of my favorite books heroes have them. Unfortunately there aren't many (uber) hairy heroes. Suggestions?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 5:42:13 PM PDT
CMommy says:
I'm not crazy about the long hair in a pony tail with a mustach and beard. Too much hair for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 5:55:40 PM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Or Dudley Doright.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:22:28 PM PDT
Willread says:
I like long hair if the hero lives in a time period where long hair was normal. Viking romance heroes need their long blond hair - and I can even add a beard :D. But in contemporary romance I want my heroes to have short hair unless the author gives me a good reason for his hair to be long.

Turn-offs? If he fusses too much about his looks. I don`t want a romance hero to spend hours in front of a mirror or have his valet spend too much time on his neck cloth. It`s also a turn-off if the hero is described as too muscular for what he does. I can accept muscular Viking heroes but a regency hero who`s only exercise is to ride his horse? Not so much.

I prefer very tall heroes but the heroine needs to be tall too. I hate it when the hero towers over the heroine - makes me think of her as a child.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 7:01:01 PM PDT
Sunny Native says:
Dear Lord, yes. I read one book where the hero "giggled." That was the end of my fantasy. Ick.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:31:18 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Disclaimer: I swear I'm not shallow in real life, lol!
When I read romances, I typically want a fantasy man, so I rarely read books where the hero has been severely physically scarred. I am not a fan of long hair, big or crooked noses, mustaches, hairy chests, or overly emotional heroes i.e. cries easliy or begs the h. And I also can't stand it when men are described as "giggling". No real men giggle, do they?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 7:51:47 PM PDT
>>> But I have learned how to read the book and pretend he is clean shaven. <<<

Similar to this, but I've just learned to imagine him as I want him... lool, it's a good thing we're only reading books! (Movies, on the other hand... O.o )

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:55:00 PM PDT
L. Burns says:
Red hair. Whenever the H is described as having red hair I picture Ron Howard (no offense, Ron - you were adorable as 'Opie Taylor'). Even in "Outlander" I had to picture Jamie's hair as brown with just a few reddish highlites! (Full disclosure: my natural hair color is red, or it used to be. I suspect there's some gray in there now, lol. Anyway, it's nothing my hairdresser can't fix every 4 weeks or so). Anyway, for whatever weird reason a H with red hair just doesn't do it for me.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:03:06 PM PDT
Happy trail is sexy. Hairy back...not so much.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:04:32 PM PDT
tealadytoo says:
I'm in total agreement with those who dislike long hair on contemporary heroes. Way too "Fabio" for me. Fine for historical heroes when it's appropriate for the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:05:02 PM PDT
Lord Rose says:
Whenever a hairy back is mentioned, all I can think about is my uncle, and the year we bought him a dedicated back hair shaver for Christmas. (Which, apparently, he uses.) Definitely a turn off.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:14:43 PM PDT
L. Burns says:
<<all I can think about is my uncle, and the year we bought him a dedicated back hair shaver for Christmas.>>

OK, that is hilarious! Was it a "gag gift" or did he seriously want his own back shaver?

All this talk about "hairy" guys reminds me of that old (1970's) centerfold picture of Burt Reynolds. Now that poor man was actually furry but still considered a huge sex symbol back in the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:35:53 PM PDT
Lord Rose says:
It was (mostly) a gag gift. But he really is pretty hairy. (Being part Greek probably has something to do with that.)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 11:14:47 PM PDT
Magelet says:
"I read one where the hero kept on "snicker"ing. Okay, it was actually only three or four times but I really couldn't forgive it. It sounded like something a guy in a trenchcoat does as the teen girls go past. "

Hee! I hate this too! Actually a few of my favourite authors continually use the word "snickering" and all it makes me think of is Muttley the Snickering Hound from the Wacky Races! Not sexy in a grown man!

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 11:34:53 PM PDT
Curuca says:
Long hair, facial hair (mustache?? noooo), short hero, slim hero (I can even up up with a beer gut but please don´t make them skinny :´() and pale.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 12:52:24 AM PDT
Lord Rose says:
Maybe I'm just weird, but I like my heroes long haired, pale, and skinny. (I blame anime/manga and Japan in general for this, since that is pretty much what the ideal Japanese guy looks like. Try Googling "bishie".)

Characters that actually look like that in romances seem to be pretty rare, though. Anne Stuart is really the only author that comes to mind. (And her recent heroes, at least, are very much Japan-inspired.)

Just goes to show that authors should ignore threads like this, or they'd never be able to write anything. ("He was tall, but not too tall. He had hair of an indeterminate length. He had muscles, but their size was also indeterminate. He had a passably handsome face with two eyes, a nose, and a mouth. He might have had some amount of body hair, but then again, he might not have. He did lack a mustache, though.")

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:04:22 AM PDT
sinnamon says:
I like REAL long hair on contemporary hero but only when he's a werewolf, DNA mix breed (like in New Species Series), wild mountain man, Native American or an alien from some barbaric Species. Waist length hair on regular guy is big no. Too much Fabio.

I LOVE shoulder length hair on man, though. Smoking sexy.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 4:42:53 AM PDT
Neeta says:
Oooh shoulder length hair.... Christian Kane.... Yummy.

My biggest turnoffs - back hair, bad teeth and creepy smooth girly hands on a guy.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:00:38 AM PDT
LJA says:
Turn off - smokeing

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 8:33:34 AM PDT
P Gallegos says:
I'm scared when movies based on books I've read are made and they ruin the image I have in my head. Curse them. Although you know who I don't curse? Legolas in the LotR movies. Sigh. Orlando Bloom as Legolas is some of the best casting Hollywood has ever done. Elven prince how I love thee.

And the first comment that started all about "plump lips" is still right on. That sounds super creepy when describing a guy.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:47:42 PM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
I'm not too much of a short Hero fan. (If he's shorter that 5'8"...*shakes head*) And Men giggling...that turns me off the fastest.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 4:03:02 PM PDT
Giggling! LMAAAO, ruins the masculinity, lools.

Meh, even if he's short in the book, I still picture whatever I wanna picture. (So I'm a little egotistical and vain, muahahahaaaa!!)

I think the most annoying thing, after all the crappy cliches I've read, are when the hero's eyes are blazing or burning or WHATEVER. OMGEE, get OVER it. Can't we just go back to the normal, "He looked at me intensely." Short 'n' sweet. (Maybe since it's so overdone that I'm getting sick of it. At first, it was cool. Now, not so much.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 4:08:42 PM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
I usually give the H a couple of inches if the author wrote him short in height...(I know what some of you naughty birds thought I first added those inches *tsk, tsk*)

Looking intensely does make it short and sweet. I'm not so annoyed with burned or blazing as long as it doesn't over-saturate the text, then I usually roll my eyes cause the Hero's eyes should be shooting flames by then

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 5:04:26 PM PDT
Willread says:
I`m actually turned off if he`s too large *there. I just read a book where he was so huge (he was an alien) that she bled and they had to go really slow so she wouldn`t get hurt. Not really very hot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 5:22:17 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
I just read a book where the heroine had just had a baby oh...3 months previously? And she'd lost her virginity to this guy who got her pregnant in the first place...but she still thinks, oh no, he's so big..I wonder if he'll fit.

Really??? Maybe she wasn't aware of how that baby managed to get from in her tummy to the outside world? But I would think sometime during and after, reality would have hit her.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  176
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions