Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:55:35 PM PST
beachbaby says:
I am a bit of a stickler for rules. Where would I start (in addition to down voting and reporting abuse buttons) if say I wanted to contact Amazon to point out the self promotion not caught by Amazon in the Erotica forum? The latest self promotion over there (in the "suggest new authors") just hacks me. A woman is promoting a book in which the author thanks her for her input in his forward. I have reported her for abuse, down voted and called her out. Then what does she do? - posts a link to the book! Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:02:21 PM PST
How long has it been since you reported abuse? I find that it can sometimes take hours and even a couple days, on the weekend. But eventually Amazon does delete self promos.

If you provide a link I'll go over and report it also.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:02:36 PM PST
Iola says:
Post here, then we can all visit Erotica and down vote and report abuse too! Amazon will delete if enough people report it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:10:27 PM PST
beachbaby says:
Amazon just deleted her post!

Vixen Anna,
I am a bit technically challenged in some things (sigh) but I can be a quick learner with simple directions (smile). How do I post a link on Amazon? I am good at copying and pasting - but links...I haven't learned that trick yet ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:14:24 PM PST
Iola says:
Good to hear it!

To copy links, I just copy the address from the top of my screen, then paste in the discussion post. So this discussion is:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=3&cdThread=Tx2P63L3U6XW3SY#CustomerDiscussionsNew

But Anna always seems to have really short links, so good question: what is her secret?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:14:28 PM PST
Posting a link is copying and pasting. :)

Click on the URL (the website at the top), copy and paste it. Alternately you can just copy and paste the title of the thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:15:12 PM PST
Here's the website I use to get really short links:

http://bitly.com/

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:16:52 PM PST
beachbaby says:
Thank you Vixen Anna!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:40:35 PM PST
You guys crack me up. However, I do like the idea of this forum being highlighted at the top, it should help keep the authors who mean well out. I was one of those authors that meant well, of course didn't bother to read any rules before I did it so I got my butt smacked (rightfully so) for it. However, if I had seen this forum at the top I would have never even bothered to post. I hope it stays, but unfortunately you are still going to have the relentless authors driving you crazy. Even in my, all authors forums like, "how to help each other" forums they self promote their own blogs and books - last thing I want to do is talk about where to buy your book I just want to know if I should add a comma or not! Sorry to interrupt your bumps and shakes but just wanted to say I like the idea so I hope it stays.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 1:45:51 AM PST
but shouldn't any individual who wants to participate in a group try to understand the dynamics of said group prior to joining? most of the problems with authors is that they could find everything out they want to know about the dynamics by clicking on one or two links and seeing - because I don't think there is a thread here that hasn't been spammed. Then they can see how to participate in the community. We have lots of authors who participate here - they just don't mention their work - in fact I chatting with several of them for a few months before I even knew they were authors - that is what it should be like

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:34:02 AM PST
Jennifer

I remember you. You are one of the few who responded with a sincere apology and deleted your post. It was a refreshing change from the "entitled" rants that we've seen far too many times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:44:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 6:44:44 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
Janet-- I must confess that I like the "persecuted" rants more than the "entitled" rants. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:48:39 AM PST
Oh thank you Katherine, I needed that chuckle!!!! You are correct. The "oh you are so mean, you are picking on me" rants are much more entertaining. The "what do you mean, I can't promote my book here? MY book is the greatest. Of course I can self-promote" rants are just irritating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:55:46 AM PST
Yeah, I got called the Gestapo yesterday, as well as a member of the thought police. Talk about wow. Can I have that dude's problems, if abiding by the rules and not shilling his book everywhere no matter what anybody else wants is persecution and genocide? What kind of life do you have to live to whine at that high of a pitch?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 7:14:17 AM PST
Didn't someone also say something to you about censoring? I remember thinking they really needed to look up the meaning of the word. Because we all know that telling someone that spamming is against Amazon's TOS is censorship. Please! You know as much as bad spelling makes my teeth ache, using the words incorrectly is like a dentist drilling without Novocaine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 7:25:44 AM PST
Oh, yeah, he did! Plus "Inquisition" and "Torquemada." He also said he didn't know what the MOA was and didn't care. I mean.....wow. I haven't seen a tantrum like that since my nephews were about three and over-tired from an amusement part trip. Because being told that you're not abiding by the TOS is JUST like being burned at the stake for your courageous refusal to repudiate your beliefs in the face of death! Fight on, brave....Oh. Yeah. Wait. http://www.amazon.com/forum/thriller/ref=cm_cd_pg_next?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2QR0B8FFJIDUZ&cdPage=5&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx22KTP3R92DZ3Z

One page forward or one page back, somewhere in there. It's even worse than I remembered.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:55:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 12:55:56 PM PST
Karlyn says:
We had a belligerent/entitled author post last week on the Goodreads 'Romance Forum Refugees' site (the sister forum to this one here on Amazon, but moderated by some of us readers and authors who respect the rules) and it felt soooooo good to just delete her dang posts. Instead of respecting the rules, she got quite condescending about how unfair it is to authors. After explaining our rules a few times and seeing she was not going to let up until we gave her permission to openly spam her book, I just deleted all her posts and even my replies. It's as if she never existed in the forum. Now that felt good!!

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 2:22:40 PM PST
Aww, too bad! I needed something to go with my next cup of coffee.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:08:07 PM PST
Iola says:
There are plenty of places for authors to spam, sorry 'promote their books', on Goodreads. They should have the intelligence to work that out. If they don't it doesn't bode well for the quality of their research and writing.

Personally, I am gaining a lot of satisfaction from the 'Report Abuse' button here in Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:22:29 PM PST
I lurk over there and I love that you can just zap anyone you want who just can't play by the rules.

Plus I love this: "It's as if she never existed in the forum."

I can think of a few people I'd love to say, "You are about to vanish into space" to and then make it happen. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:23:54 PM PST
The only problem, Iola, is that my "Report Abuse" button-pressing finger is getting so much exercise that pretty soon it's going to be large than it's sisters. I'm going to have to share the fun with all my other fingers so they don't get jealous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:29:02 PM PST
"but shouldn't any individual who wants to participate in a group try to understand the dynamics of said group prior to joining?"

This is so commonsensical that I can't understand why people don't get it? Before I ever posted a work on Amazon I lurked for quite awhile. Even then I was so nervous my heart was racing a bit when I clicked on "Post."

When you go into a roomful of people all standing around in groups chatting, and you don't know any of the people, you don't just go up to the them and start talking about anything you want, much less start telling them about a book you wrote.

People may not make the connection but discussion threads are the exact same thing. I've seen people come onto an ongoing thread and ask if they may join. That always seems to get a much better response from people than if they just jump right in. Unless you know some of the other posters it pays to be a little polite. Too much is always better than not enough, at least as far as politeness goes. Now money, that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:46:12 PM PST
Iola says:
"Before I ever posted a work on Amazon I lurked for quite awhile. Even then I was so nervous my heart was racing a bit when I clicked on "Post.""

So did I - and I still have exactly the same nervousness when posting somewhere new, like when I first started posting in Romance, or the Kindle forum, especially on longer-running discussions. Yes, I've made mistakes, but I don't then attack the person who calls me on it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:07:50 PM PST
Are writers allowed to say anything about their writing in their sig or name? There's a dude going around doing just that, and it's annoying as all get out. Can you imagine somebody going around, identifying themselves as, "Joe Blow---dentist."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 8:22:32 PM PST
Iola says:
I think it's borderline in terms of whether it's 'allowed', depending on how you read Ammy's rules.

But it's pretty stupid. I suppose we could all add an occupation to our names to make the point. What will I be? Hmmm...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  3878
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions