Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Physical turn-offs in a Hero

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 176 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 5:59:47 PM PDT
LuckyGirl says:
Don't you mean Luke? I don't remember Hector with a mustache.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:00:19 PM PDT
Arual says:
Mutton chops! Oh, my head....

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:08:19 PM PDT
kestergayle says:
No facial hair for me, and, ideally, no long head hair either! Most of my women friends seem to like that scruffy biker type, but not me. The H has gotta be at least 6 feet tall, kinda buff, and lusty. I don't care about hair color or coloring in general, but not bald unless the head is shaved. I don't mind chest hair or moderate leg hair, but no back hair in fiction or IRL! LOL!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:11:12 PM PDT
Fiona B says:
Oh! Might be, sorry faulty brain lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:36:04 PM PDT
LJA says:
@ezrismommi,

Damn skippy. I'm 5'6" DH was 5'4". absolutly perfect in bed (not so much on the dance floor if I was in heals) who wants to have to chose what parts match up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:43:49 PM PDT
Grey says:
Wasn't that book by Celeste Bradley? I couldn't finish it just for that reason. Okay, it's fine and all that he's large, but to be so excessively large that they need to use the stretching things was kind of icky.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 3:51:14 AM PDT
It was. Personally, I found that part amusing. What killed the story for me was the H's attitude - after she'd gone to all that trouble to accommodate him, he wanted to keep the whole marriage impersonal. Or, more precisely, he suddenly decided he didn't want to actually be friends with that woman he married.

Eh, men are fascinating in all their infinite variety. As long as the H doesn't sport a beer gut, takes showers regularly, and doesn't do that whole "two days' growth of facial hair" thing, I don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:02:43 AM PDT
D. Arnold says:
Surrender to a Wicked Spy by Celeste Bradley. He was a virgin as well.

The Taming was a book I did get through even though the description of the H was a BIG turn off. He had lice and he smelled, didn't bath on a regular basis, and had women for every day of the week because he couldn't remember their names, wife included. His castle was dirty and nasty. The h lurved him!!! Ewwwww! She managed to clean him and the castle up and I felt the author made the HEA beleiveable with her writing so I stuck with it.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:09:11 AM PDT
Tippi says:
OMG! I remember THE TAMING. I couldn't finish it when they described the H as dirty with lice. Yuck. I threw the book away. I didn't even want to give it away. It was just that awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 11:41:58 AM PDT
Grey says:
I just refuse to read any book with a hero named Rogan. That is my dad's DOG'S name. (I read one once, but I ended up giggling every time his name was mentioned, which made any moaning of his name a bit hard to get into.)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:57:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 11:57:50 AM PDT
Iced Camaro says:
WTF at the hero with lice... Eew! Thank goodness I haven't come across something like that. In fact I haven't come across a lot of the descriptions here mentioned: bald, beard, receding hairline, shorter than the heroine or pelts. The shortness kind of surprises me, I wouldn't think any authors would want the h to be taller than the H, not because there's something "wrong" with a short man, but because the fantasy for most women always includes a taller guy and not someone you want to be looking down to. Maybe I'm wrong.

For me, I'd have to say mustaches and red hair are big turn offs. Pale heros too. The funny thing is that some of my favorite heros actually fit these descriptions (Jamie Frasier, Bones from the Night Huntress series), so eventhough they are turn offs they aren't deal breakers, not if the writing is fantastic.

Also, the way Edward Cullen was described was always a turn off for me. (hard as marble and ice cold to the touch). Eeek.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 11:59:33 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Plus, it sounds so much like Rogaine. :=)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:05:20 PM PDT
LJA says:
Well in the Anita Blake books one of her main guys (for those who do not know she gets turned into a succubus, too few guys and she can kill them) is her height 5'3". Micah has had trouble with past girlfriends not because he is short but because he is a bit too well endowed.

The Twilight books kinda took that from Anne Rices vampires they harden with age.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:34:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 1:02:52 PM PDT
There are so many short heroines I don't why short heroes would be a problem even for those who need the man to be taller. It's not like a 5'6-8 man isn't several inches than half the heroines in Romancelandia - though "short" in Romancelandia seems like anything under 6 ft even during a time period when 5'6 was the avg height for a man. Some of my favorite romance heroes are short. Robin in Angel Rogue is one of the all time great heroes and I love that his compact size is part of his charm especially as it hides his powerful capability in all things. And considering his heroine is like 5 feet he's still significantly taller. I find that far easier to take then 5'2 heroines with 6'5 guys who are always treating her like she's a doll and calling her little one - barf.

As for turn offs, balding with the pony tail ain't a great turn on but it beats mutton chops and maybe mullets. Other than that I'm pretty easy. Just as I like variety in my heroines I like it in my heroes, and just as all heroines don't have to be physically perfect neither do heroes. I find that if the writer makes the hero attractive to to the heroine and vice verse that's what matters. Also that personality counts in fiction as much as reality - the more likable and entertaining a hero the more I start to find them attractive. Lynn Kurland wrote a smelly ugly knight as one of her supporting characters and I wondered how she'd make him hero material - and yet she did so easily and wonderfully and I never doubted the heroine loved him and found him appealing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 12:56:59 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
I am the same way with names of close family. Cannot picture a romance with my children's names or my grandmother's!!!!! I tried once with the name of the H the same as my oldest son. Couldn't do it!
I liked The Taming. It was medieval and the author used the uncleanliness for the advantage to the h. It made sense by the end and I was laughing everytime she put a hault to cleaning the castle and everyone went back to the nasty before her. The secondary characters ended up throwing her and H in a locked room so H would make up with her and she would clean again!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 1:29:29 PM PDT
I love that book. "From This Moment On" by Lynn Kurland is a keeper on my bookshelf. She made the fact that Colin was smelly and ugly seem more manly than icky and he ended up becoming one of my favorite heroes. But body lice? Ewww.

I usually prefer slightly ugly to very handsome in my H, pretty boys bore me but I'm not a fan of hairiness either. I like scars and tattoos and shaved bald heads but the most important thing is that the hero must be dangerous and strong. Generally, I can't stand an H that is too effeminite or focused on fashion. The recent wave of pale, slender vampires is a major disappointment.

I'm also not a fan of a bi-sexual H. I don't have a problem with it, it's just not my thing. I was half-way through a series when the main vampire love-interest had a male ex-lover show up. It just didn't do anything for me so I stopped reading the series.

Someone mentioned the Japanese anime males but even though they're usually slender, pale and long-haired, they're also usually very powerful and skilled fighters so for me that makes them attractive where their pretty appearance would normally be a turn-off.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:41:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 8:43:06 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Willread,

Agree with you about a hero's 'package.' Am reading a HR Western. Man is supposedly
12in long & 8 wide. This is mentioned too many times. He's also unyielding ( makes
choices for the couple w/o input from heroine) and lies. Not really a hero in my book.
And she's tiny-natch!

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:23:58 PM PDT
Mo says:
Hero has to be over 6 ft tall. Red hair never did it for me until I watchedHomeland: The Complete First Season - Nick Brody does it for me.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:14:20 AM PDT
Garden Gnome says:
MovieLover, that description of being 8 inches wide and 12 inches long is supposed to be sexy to us? Gah. It just makes me think of childbirth.

I'm married to a bald guy, so I find them attractive. Things that I don't: blond guys whose chests are described as hairless, cleft chins, and guys who make decisions for the h without consulting her. Uh, no thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 11:49:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 11:51:37 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Cheesy Romances,

Yes the guy in HR with those stats is considered sexy & they call him "The Cannon." Think writer needs to consult an
anatomy book. And only one whore can take hero " all in" so to speak. He's supposed to be 6'9" & 200+ and huge in
stature. But if it was exactly 200 lbs he'd be too lean to be called a huge man. But his personality is too overbearing
& he lies to heroine too often. Don't know if I'll finish book. Besides, sexy also includes intelligence, wit & charm.
And can he defend himself & heroine verbally and otherwise?

Bald guys are usually sexy, but a hero must be dark blonde for me. Light blond reminds me of a kid. Red hair, good,
esp for Scotts heroes. All other hair colors good. Scars ( outside/ inside ) OK, as is disabled hero- OK. I like a hero who
makes women tingly. And his personality makes men and women want to interact with him, ask his opinions etc. And
he acccepts heroine's true self & doesn't want to make major alterations of her.

Edited for typo.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:58:27 AM PDT
Heroes that are tall as ballers, for some reason I end up thinking about Dennis Rodman which isn't a big turn on for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 1:59:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 2:00:42 PM PDT
That book really is just outrageously silly erotica (wait till you get to the end - her body is obviously made of silly putty). Not only is the hero enormous but the Heroine is under also under 5 feet tall. Yes, the cervix expands and the uterus retracts when aroused but usually not 12 inches worth - especially for someone that small. I keep envisioning that scene from Alien where that things bursts out of John Hurt's stomach...

Blonde heroes are so underrepresented in Romancelandia that I appreciate any shade I can get. With light blond hair on men I just envision a young Robert Redford (think Barefoot In The Park or The Way We Were) or Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:44:27 PM PDT
I freaking loved Barefoot in the Park and had a major crush on Robert Redford. I agree, more blonde men. But I think the romance pool has been spoiled by Fabio, not sure what it is about him that I don't find enticing, maybe he's too perfect?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 5:33:10 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Poster With No Name,

Yes I agree the story of "The Cannon" & friends was silly. Heroine was too passive
for my taste. The writer defied logic she created ie the conservative "other man"
(a doctor) who loved heroine would NEVER participate in a 3-way sex session. And
hero's crotch= practically a 4th character. "Hero" was too selfish to sustain a love
story, IMHO.

Yes, Robert Redford, yummy and smart, originally an art school student.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:59:36 PM PDT
I didn't know that about Redford, very interesting.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 5 days ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 2027 12 seconds ago
Hilarious Mistakes in Publishsed books (self pubbed or otherwise) thread 2 57 4 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 3289 6 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 4861 7 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 6970 11 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 1940 14 minutes ago
H denies Mate(h) for OW ?? 177 47 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 817 49 minutes ago
*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA *** 8666 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 5117 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  176
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions