Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dark, powerful and brutal heros

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 259 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 29, 2012 8:01:46 PM PDT
The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series) by Kristen Ashley fits most of your criteria, but the h isn't a virgin. But the H is exactly what you describe. He's a complete barbarian who learns to be somewhat gentle because he loves his h.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:35:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2012 7:04:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:01:08 PM PDT
luvs2read says:
These books fit!! Nick is one evil SOB but you still cant help but cheer for him!!

The Devil's Eyes
The Devil's Revenge (The Devil's Eyes)

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:35:18 PM PDT
D. Politis says:
I second the recommendation for Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley. Lahn is a dark, brutal hero who really, really loves her. And there is a happy ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:43:42 PM PDT
Parvin says:
The devils eyes and revenge are great books

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:49:04 PM PDT
Talltree says:
Hi Parvin, Can you tell us a bit about these books. I dont mind spoilers actually.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:55:17 PM PDT
Parvin says:
Hi Talltree
Hurricane sandy has left me without Internet,so I just got to use my super slow3G
I have these books enkindle and can loan them

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:05:20 PM PDT
Talltree says:
Thank you, i don't mind buying ( in fact I prefer it as I reread a lot ) but please can you share a bit about the books. Like is there a HEA. Is the hero mean to the h? Is she TSTL? How bad/brutal is he? Any cheating? Any other important things- like I said, I dont mind spoilers- in fact I like them. Sorry for all the questions.

And please take your time to answer. No worries. Hope things get better over there soon.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:18:17 PM PDT
cruisegirl says:
Plinky, my reading tastes are soo much like yours. I am so tired of reading about the PC Hero and whatnot! I love when authors walk that dangerous line and write what they want and not what they think or their publishers tell them will sell. I like reading about dark, violent, rough Heros sorry if that freaks some people out but IT'S JUST A BOOK. I just wish there were more contemporary novels like this. I am kind of sick of historicals and can't get in to paranormals that much. if you come across a good contemporary let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:23:29 PM PDT
Cphe says:
@Cruisegirl

The Cutting Edge
and
All That Glitters
May be what you are looking for in a contemporary book - both heroes are pretty brutal to the heroine

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:49:35 AM PDT
cruisegirl says:
@Cphe, thanks for those suggestions, however I believe I have read them before. Linda Howard is/was one of those rare authors that at times made her Hero unlikable. You will find a lot more of this type of writing in the historical genre, obviously the writers felt they can use the excuse of that's how it was in that era. Now publishers and writers have gotten all politically correct and heaven forbid any of this type of writing make it in the contemporary field well then the author should find another career. I guess I am just like the author of this thread. I like to READ about this kind of Hero, after decades of reading about the same type of lead charachter it's nice and refreshing when you get something different and dangerous. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:51:05 AM PDT
Parvin says:
There are tons of books on this subject on. Goodreads and lots of info in the groups.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:52:35 AM PDT
Parvin is right. There are numerous list. Here are a few:

Harlequin books with dark/cruel heroes: http://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshelf/10791-harlequin-presents-readers?shelf=cruel-hero
Popular Cruel Hero list: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/cruel-hero
Cruel and abusive:http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/cruel-abusive-hero
Cruel heroes and heroines: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/cruel-hero-or-heroine
Cruel and coldhearted: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/cruel-coldhearted-tough-hero
Cruel and Dangerous: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/dangerous-cruel-hero

and those are just a few.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:06:04 AM PDT
bigsigh82 says:
For those of you who like Hero's that are not PC, you might like the book Knight (The Unfinished Hero Series) by Kristen Ashley. H really loves the h, but he's not the normal, clean cut H that we usually ready about. There's not cheating, no threesome's, it's not a YA, and there is an HEA.

I also "third" the req. for The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series) also by Kristen Ashley. Golden Dynasty is not comtempory genre, but I liked the book anyway.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:25:11 AM PDT
JudyB says:
Undeniable
This one definitely fits in this category. It has rape, murder, drugs, motorcycle gangs and lots of bad as* alpha guys. It has a HEA and leaves you wondering if you like the H and the h or not. 20 year age difference between the two. The book is not for those that are politically correct and that can't take rape or cheating in a book. To me it's all about fiction (not real life) and I really liked the book. Could see the love spanning all the years and while I didn't agree with some of the stuff in real life, I still think it's a good book. Deuce is definitely dark, possessive and brutal.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:48:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 10:50:16 AM PDT
JudyB, this book definitely fits this category, and considering 'Stormfire" is probably one of my all time rereads, the rape and cheating weren't deal breakers, however,

I did not like it at all. My main problem with "Undeniable" was the perv factor. I enjoy a wide variety of books. One of my favorite books is Finding Home and it,too, deals with an age gap (and does so in a very realistic way), but 18 years was just too much for me in this context.

It would have been different had the sexual aspect come into play when both were consenting adults or at least close, but for the 30 year old "hero" to notice the 12 yr old heroine's "nice T*ts" and then having sexual relations (which were detailed) when the heroine was 16 and the "hero" was thirty-four kind of skeeved me out.

I'm not knocking you for liking it, but I thought that other readers should be given fair warning that this book does contain, in my opinion, some aspects of pedophilia (the hero seemed to suffer from it). But that's just my opinion.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:36:53 AM PDT
JudyB says:
@chea - I understand what you are saying and to be truthful there were some things I felt uncomfortable with myself. I tried to give warning in my post so they would know the full range of issues in the book. The episode when the h was 16 kind of make me uneasy but I don't have issues with a 20 year difference in the age range for consenting adults. My dad was 20 years older than my Mom and they stayed married 37 years before he died. Undeniable is unique for sure and hits a nerve in different places whether you like it or not. They said the next book in the series is going to be about Deuce's daughter and Ripper. So that's going to be another age difference too I think. But maybe not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:17:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:20:50 PM PDT
Annie says:
I second this. People who love Kristin Ashley will def dig this. Even though im not fond of Ashleys work (cant stand her WRITING style, too much musing and short sentences) but i did enjoy Undeniable (barring the age factor, ofcourse)
I just wish she woukdve been 18 atleast before their first sexual encounter.

And yes, ill agree with others that the 12 year old having tits (C cups, no less) was unecessary.

I have this ebook, if anyone wants it, lmk.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:20:18 PM PDT
Colleen says:
N. Khaliq, I totally disagree!
I like KA and loathed Undeniable.

Spoilers:
The grammar is about 20x worse, the cheating (OH MY GOD SO MUCH AND IT IS EVERYWHERE), the meanness, lack of possessiveness, the sketchy molester "H".
Not a fan at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:28:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:30:14 PM PDT
Annie says:
I mean, when i read a book im not exactly looking for grammar. That doesnt bother me (unless u write ANUS instead of ARMS-its happened)

The cheating...yeah its problematic but given the setting of the story and the lifestyle the characters lead...its not really an issue. Its expected. Is it Ok By my standards? no. But by their standards? yes. If all this was happening (the cheating and all") in a book in which the characters work 9-5 at a law firm or something like that, then yes...its a big problem.

The molestation...yeah it was kind of icky, but he got his due, didnt he?

ETA: i did have a problem with the heros behavior towards the end. Uncalled for, really.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:49:44 PM PDT
Colleen says:
I totally get that people enjoyed it, but it was too much for me.

I maybe could have gotten past one or two of these issues, but so much gross stuff everywhere. Plus, I just didn't enjoy the writing style. It was choppy and perv-y. I mean, there's nothing redeeming about this book to me (other than the H getting shot by the h's dad. GO DAD! YOU'RE MY FAV!).

I get the fiction argument, but I want my fiction to be perfect reality, not motorcycle-hooker-crazypants-cheating reality. That's, like, real reality. Not what I'm going for when I'm reading.

I just really hate this book and as often as I tell myself that people like what they like, I just don't get it. At all.
I'm sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:54:29 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
We must have read the same book. LOL!! Every time I read anus instead of arms, I had to do a double read until halfway thru book and I made a mental note to ignore and insert arms!! Liked the story to keep reading. Can't remember which one it was, but it was recent.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:25:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 1:29:40 PM PDT
Annie says:
Ur absolutely right, there isnt much to like about this book. All the characters are messed up, big time. Hard for them to redeem themselves. The book couldve done without the secondary characters, useless they were. It wouldve been alot better had it just focused on Frankie, Deuce, and Eva. Chase was unecessary. Im even Ok with the age factor, but then i expected Deuce to be a bit more mature than he let off. The only redeeming quality for this book for me was the over the top drama. I admit i even put the book down numerous times only to pick it up again to find out what happens next.

I compared it to Ashleys books because she writes stuff like this. And the only reason i avoid her books is because her writing style isnt my style. Her sentence are too choppy and the books are too wordy. I tried reading motorcycle man, and i had to drop it after a few chapters. It takes her literally 10 pages to get to the point of the whole inner dialogue. The bOoks are like 240 pages when they could very well be 150-180. She needs a better editor.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:26:35 PM PDT
Annie says:
Was it baby oh baby by robin wells? Thats the book with the Anus rather than arms lol

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:38:44 PM PDT
Colleen says:
I can see why you would compare it to KA. She's an over-writer, over-describer, over-drama weaver, but her stuff isn't so depressing/ cheating based/ awful.
I don't agree, but I can see it.

However, I was sold Undeniable under the KA wonder-umbrella and it wasn't KA to me. I felt led astray. I kept reading only to be more shocked, more disappointed.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  259
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions