Customer Discussions > Romance forum

WTF Endings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 325 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 14, 2012 5:48:36 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Forbidden couldn't have ended any other way.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 9:16:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 9:18:09 AM PDT
Don't know if you remember a book called Damage. They made a movie out of it as well. In England father is high up in politics and is being set up to become PM I think. Anyway his grown son brings his french girlfriend home and the father and the gf take one look at each other and get it on as soon as possible. The son and the gf set up an appt and the father and gf are going to town when the son comes in and sees them and backs up and falls over the balcony and dies. The mother tells the father to leave and the gf goes back to France and marries and the father just exists. The hint that the gf was damaged because she and her brother(who committed suicide) either had sex or he wanted to and since she was his sister he killed himself and damaged her so she had no morals. I hated the book and the movie but watched the movie a couple of times because I LOVE the decoration in the father's house. How sick is that?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 12:15:47 AM PDT
BethB says:
I remember Damage because I hated it so much. I was left with the message that if a person has been traumatized in their younger life, it's natural and expected that they should get to eff up others without taking any responsibility for the consequences. Having devastated the English family, off she went to a HEA in France. Definitely WTF.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:29:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 12:30:46 AM PDT
adoore says:
I would add "lover reborn" by J.R.Ward into the WTF category. I wanted to destroy my kindle after reading the book. When I read paranormal romance I want to finish the book with a sigh and a smile and looking forward to the next book. With this book I was mad and I felt betrayed by the author because the the breaking of all the rules the author had first established. I hated this book felt like throwing my kindle against the wall and then stomping on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:31:34 AM PDT
readtoomuch says:
adoore: can you spoil "lover reborn?"

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:34:13 PM PDT
adoore says:
I sure can if it is okay on this discussion board.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 12:51:39 PM PDT
readtoomuch says:
@adoore: I meant spoil the WTF ending/moment(s) in "lover reborn." Should be ok to expand and clarify.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:27:36 PM PDT
adoore says:
Okay so here we go. "Lover Reborn" had many WTF!!!! moments. Through out the series we are told how much a bonded mate means to a male vampire to the point that the female mate is their heart and they are basically dead if something happens to them. In the tenth installment of the series "Lover Reborn" we have the story of a brotherhood brother whose pregnant wife was killed in book three only about two years in the series. The male vampire is suffering and mourning his mate of 200 years and then all of a sudden he is told by an angel that his mate is not in the fade (heaven) but in the "in-between" (purgatory) and is slowly disappearing because he can't let her go and he needs to F..... another women in order to let her go (WTF # 1). The whole book is about him getting over his mate of two hundred years in just under three years by f...... another woman (Blood, sweat, and tears). Then he finally accepts this new woman and says he feels closer to her than his mate of two hundred years (WTF # 2) He invites his new woman to his late mates fade ceremony (funeral) WTF # 3. He covers his late mate name that was carved into his back with symbols WTF # 4. Then we find out that the new woman was also in her "in-between" WTF # 5 but she could feed and have sex and be around the living. Yet, she is chosen once more to return instead of the pregnant innocent female, the new woman killed herself over three hundred years ago (WTF # 6). Then to wrap everything up we find out that the vampire will mate with the new female and carve her name on his back under his first mate even though we are told how much a mate means and these vampires do not mate easily (WTF # 7). There are so many more but I will stop here because when I finished the book I was WTF was this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 3:38:30 PM PDT
readtoomuch says:
Ookaaay! That does have a lot of wtf

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 3:40:01 PM PDT
gbaby says:
Wow, so glad I stopped after book 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 4:24:28 PM PDT
He wasn't mated to the first woman. I don't remember which book, but it said that they weren't mates, but that they loved each other and chose to be together.

The second woman is his actual mate. However, I agree with a lot of your WTF's. Why would he take his new woman to his old woman's funeral?

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 4:42:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 4:44:03 PM PDT
adoore says:
@ Book Lover #1 Who are you talking about? If it is Tohr from "Lover Reborn" he was bonded and mated to the highest level he said it himself in the Insider's Guide. They were an arrange marriage but both said that when they saw each other they fell in love with each other. Tohr goes on to say that if he would of ran into her on the street he would of chosen her.

The second woman will never be bonded to him because in their universe you can only bond once in a lifetime. You may mate again but never to the same level. What the second woman was that to me was another WTF!!! moment was that she was a woman he and his friend had rescued over 300 years ago. She had been raped and was pregnant they stayed with her and after giving birth she killed herself because she could not live with the shame and an abomination of a daughter (her words). Her whole story is suppose to be a full circle kind of story she ends up with tohr and her daughter ends up with Tohr's friend re-incarnated which is another WTF.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 4:56:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 4:58:30 PM PDT
I remember that sentence specifically because I was upset that they weren't actual "mates". You also said that theirs was an arranged marriage. If it was arranged then what are the chances that they are mates? Oops, forgot for a minute this is PRN and anything could happen. They really loved each other so maybe they considered themselves mated?

I don't remember reading about the different levels of mating, though. The second woman was second best, I think.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 5:46:45 PM PDT
adoore says:
In my eyes she will always be second best even though Ward tried to make it seem otherwise. In the Insider's Guide Ward interviews Tohr and he explains that the level he and Warth have mated/bonded is the highest level in their world. That the female owns them and that the woman is their heart and their world that without them they are like an empty vessel.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:57:06 PM PDT
I'll have to read the The Insider's Guide.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 6:40:15 PM PDT
Eh, widows and widowers remarry all the time and most don't rank their spouses. No one has to be second best just as having children you don't have to rank how much you love them.

The freakiest thing about the mated bonds in these books are the males carving the names in their backs. Every time they discuss it I get queasy and I don't see how if you truly loved someone you'd want your name carved into them - branding them like cattle. Mutilation is just not romantic to me.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 7:35:04 PM PDT
adoore says:
We are not in real life this is suppose to be paranormal romance. I read it to escape real life plus all the other women killed or that were supposed to die were healed or returned as a ghost. Children and significant others are not the same and the love can not be compared. We are constantly told about how difficult it is to find a bonded/mate and how much they mean to each other and then this is broken.

I agree with the carving of the names.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 7:44:57 PM PDT
I think the carving of the names is SUPPOSED to signify the depth of the connection between the vamp and his woman.

However, when they can just scribble a name out and carve another name underneath it, it loses much of that meaning.

I haven't read Reborn yet, but just from the spoilers I have read, Wellsie got screwed. I know it's not so unusual for a man to move on, but the depth of his love for her should not have been overcome so quickly.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 7:49:19 PM PDT
adoore says:
It is suppose to mean a greater connection and the pain the man is willing to endure for his bonded/mate and I agree it loses its meaning when you can carve over the name and then carve another woman's name under it. To me it also loses its meaning.

Wellsie did get screwed big time.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 1:41:12 AM PDT
Willread says:
Most of these lovers have waited for hundreds of years for their special woman. At the beginning of the series only Tohr had a mate and the rest of them went without - or had casual lovers. When Wellsie died Tohr almost died with her. For him to find another mate just three years after doesn`t go against what people do in the real world but it certainly goes against this universe. I stopped reading the series and have not even considered reading Lover Reborn. These spoilers just confirm my decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:44:22 AM PDT
Considering how insipid and pallid most of the heroines are in Ward's world it's hard to believe it took them hundreds of years to find the "right" woman. And what a coincidence, they all wait hundreds of years and everyone finds someone in about a 5 year period. Shocking.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 1:31:48 PM PDT
Iola says:
Obviously the alignment of the planets has something to do with it. Or the alignment of publishing schedules.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:52:46 PM PDT
adoore says:
In less then five years the timeline for Ward's books is another WTF moment according the books only about three years have past since the first book.

I have also finally stopped reading this series it just left me very dissatisfied and upset.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:24:37 AM PDT
but screwy timelines like that isn't uncommon in book series in general...I mean, how many years have passed in the dark hunter realm since the first one was released...4-5 maybe and it has been being released for the last 12 years (give or take)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 5:11:20 AM PDT
The problem with using the DH series as an example is the author can't keep the timeline straight.

Eh, I accept that a book series isn't going to follow the same timeline as it's published. After all, if it did follow the publishing schedule, we'd lose years of favorite characters' lives.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  325
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions