Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Help finding a contemporary book with POW please!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 1:54:21 PM PST
LTR says:
I'm hoping one of you gentle readers can help me (again). A few years ago, I read a book where the woman's husband returned from being a prisoner of war. He'd been gone a few years and she's now engaged to someone else. I remember wanting to read a book about the jilted fiancé next because he was such a great guy.

At the end of the book, when the h had broken up with him, the ex-fiancé climbed on his bicycle and went for a ride, thinking he'd probably leave the area and go home to his family's vineyard.

Is this ringing a bell with anyone? I must have read a paperback and then accidentally gave it away because this would definitely have been on my keeper shelf --and heaven knows I've searched my Kindle. The whole book was great and I'm really hoping someone knows this book. If it helps, I think it was a Harlequin or similar. I thought it might have been a Catherine Mann book but if so, I didn't find it.

Thanks for any help I get!!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:19:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 2:27:09 PM PST
This probably isn't the book ( I hope you find it!), but here is a book that might fit. Reviews on goodread said that both guys were good guys (much like you mentioned about ex-fiance) and that it takes her a few years to move on with new man.

Is it possible? During Desert Storm, Rosie Armstrong's husband went off to war. He didn't return. She was told that he was missing in action -- and presumed dead. For years, she couldn't accept that Nick was dead, couldn't believe it. But she got on with her life because she had to -- for her child's sake. Eventually she met another man and allowed herself to fall in love with him. She's finally said yes to Zach's proposal of marriage.... And then there's a phone call. "Your husband's not dead." He was a prisoner of war all those years, kept hidden in Iraqi bunkers. He's coming home. A stranger.

EDIT: this book does have sequel that feature the ex-fiance from the first book (Zach Wilde) called, Laura's Baby (9 Months Later / Harlequin Superromance, No. 756).
Laura Donetti knows two things: Her marriage to Tony Donetti is over. And she's having his baby.

Zach Wilde first meets Laura while Tony is off seducing another woman. Zach is disgusted with Donetti. And protective of Laura. He also feels something he'd never expected to feel again. Attraction. Desire. For Laura, who's another man's wife. Laura, who's pregnant.

Laura, who needs his help. And wants his love....

So, hopefully these will be the books and you *can* have the chance to read more about the other man!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:04:39 PM PST
I believe that this is, as Chea said, "Strangers When We Meet." The fiancé (Zach) was a cyclist from California, and his book was the one posted above.

BTW, I like Catherine Mann, too. But this isn't her. :) I agree, though--good book. Haven't read the 2nd one, myself, but I really liked "Strangers When We Meet."

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:41:27 PM PST
LTR says:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I figure Strangers When We Meet just has to be the book and luckily for me -- it's on Kindle! I've already ordered it and put Zach's story on my wish list! Again, thank you -- you've made my night! (And I know just what I'm going to start reading in the next 10 minutes!) This is great!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:32:46 AM PST
LTR says:
Wow, I read Strangers When We Meet (again) last night, staying up til 1 am to finish it, and then read parts of it again this morning. I think I'll have to wait a day or so to read Zach's story as its one reviewer said it was almost as sad. I don't think I can take that much angst two days in a row! It was such a great book (obviously since I remembered it years later) and really pulled me into the story. Again, thanks Chea for finding it for me. I went to Good reads for the first time -- I think I could really get into sorting my books there. What a cool idea -- but I wanted to get started on my book so I didn't do anything on the site. Everyone have a good Veterans Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:18:30 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
I have it on my tbr list and not sure if I am up to the angst. Was it really bad? Were either of them mean to each other or were they just lost in what to do? I don't care for the H being overly mean when he doesn't have to be. Makes me want to get a skillet out.

Goodreads is a very good idea. I have been slowly over the course of months adding my books and love being able to keep up with them. Also, like being able to see what boogehagen has to say about a bunch of harlequins! She is the go to for good ratings. I am found there as 'sstdiana' if you join.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:55:10 AM PST
LTR says:
Oh, no, it's a fabulous book -- I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The H is so understanding and not mean at all -- and the h is just torn, knowing she's hurting two fabulous men and not sure what she's supposed to do. No skillets needed at all! Please read it -- you'll be glad you did. It's just that the H flies back home after being gone seven years and expects/hopes everything will be the same and then realizes as soon as he kisses his wife that things aren't the same. And then he meets her fiance and realizes what a great guy he is and.....well, you'll just have to read it.

I will say that if he wouldn't have sprung everything on her at the last minute, things would have been different -- she only found out he was coming home the night before his early-morning arrival. Everyone in Germany told him to warn people (including his family) but he didn't. Of course, if he'd have done this, I wouldn't have had a great book to read and think about for several days, so there you go!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:00:07 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Thanks, I will move it up on my list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:35:58 PM PST
LTR says:
I've started reading Laura's baby this evening and so far I'm really liking it. Should have known I'd cave and just ordered it immediately but I did manage to hold off for a few hours!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:33:38 PM PST
Glad I could be of some help, LovesToRead.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 Sep 17, 2015
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
145 20 days ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 7092 1 minute ago
Free Today Third Edition 438 2 minutes ago
Dear romance author I am sick of.... 962 11 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 5671 19 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 8295 28 minutes ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 9533 30 minutes ago
M/M Loan Thread 448 32 minutes ago
one & only ever - give each other v-cards 11 51 minutes ago
Train Recs: highly recommended but you wallbanged 592 57 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 3106 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions