Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Lonely, shy & geeky heroines (historical & contemporary)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 3:33:56 AM PST
Alexa says:
A little bit of a doormat, enjoys reading and solitude and mostly keeps to herself.
She's awkward and skittish whenever she's approached by anyone. And is soft-spoken, quiet, gentle & loving. NOT the usual heroine who speaks her mind and is courageous enough to stand up to anyone.

She's rather attractive and pretty but doesn't know her appeal, easily overlooked at first glance, petite in size, but when looked at long enough, she grows increasingly in appeal.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, kindly avoid widows/divorcees/single parents:)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 8:50:37 AM PST
the suggestion i am about to make fits some of your criteria. she is quiet because she tends to get in trouble when she speaks, and she grows more into herself over the book.
Friday's Child
offhand that is all i can think of.
wait-two of the wallflower books by lisa klepas...the younger american sister and of course, Devil in Winter

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:00:49 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
That other Wallflower book about the younger sister is Scandal in Spring. I'd begin with book one though, Secrets of A Summer Night, since you'll love the series.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:06:39 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:
To Wed a Wicked Earl-There is a book before and a book after this one if you'd care to check into them. I enjoyed all three, but the second one is my favorite.
GUILTY PLEASURES
Gentle from the Night-dark but enthralling love story.
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:11:11 AM PST
BethB says:
Breathe (Colorado Mountain Series) - Kristen Ashley

I know I know more. Off to think about it...

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:04:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 6:41:47 AM PST
Alexa says:
There's a short story called Miracles by Judith Mcnaught that I've read that fits the bill. The h is bookish and introverted. (Possible spoilers)She's infatuated with her husband who has dumped her in one of his houses, he loathes her because they were caught in a compromising situation which led to their marriage.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:26:09 AM PST
vanila_o says:
offhand some good books that come to mind with shy introverted heroines:

Too Much Temptation - Lori Foster (great contemporary with shy skittish h)
Heaven, Texas - by Susan Elizabeth Phillips(great book with nerdy shy heroine and hot hero)
Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas (historical - one of the best ever. Dangerous hero meets his match in shy nerdy h)
Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas (another great historical with sweet shy h)
Linda Howard's Son of the Morning
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (classic - just had to include in the list)
Bond of Hatred - Lynne Graham (many HP romances will fit your criteria. This is one of the good ones in the genre)
Gabriel's Woman by Robin Schone
Shades of Twilight by Linda Howard (great great book with shy introverted heroine)
Simply Love by Catherine Anderson

There are so many more.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:21:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:21:39 AM PST
Miss September (Calendar Girls) by Madison Hayes. Part of a series, kind of short and expensive but very good. H was married and his wife cheated and he is freaked. h is his assistance and she is very quiet and shy (very much the opposite of the first wife who was a model). h is discribed as very petite and quietly pretty.

There was a free follow up originally at Ellora's Cave. It's not there anymore but it is at scribd
http://www.scribd.com/doc/40374271/Playing-Hardball

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:17:06 AM PST
BethB says:
I also thought of Shades of Twilight - one of my very favourite books.

For a historical, the all time great grovel read Lady Gallant by Suzanne Robinson.

A lot of Diana Palmer's books fit this plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:18:59 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Thanks for rec. Looks like a good short!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:28:23 PM PST
Ktreads says:
To Seduce A Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt has a shy heroine, but she is not as timid as you described in your original post. I loved this book. I am a fan of Hoyt, and I think this may have been my favorite novel of hers.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:08:48 PM PST
Russo says:
Totally agree with Shades of Twilight I have re-read this book so many times!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:37:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 10:30:33 AM PST
Alexa says:
Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas
The h has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom, and is a pretty and bookish lover of animals & nature. The H is a handsome soldier enamored with h's flirtatious friend and plans to marry her when he returns from battling abroad. His will to continue fighting is kept alive by the letters he constantly exchanged with h's friend. Little does he know that she couldn't care less about him and it has been the h who had been writing these letters to him all along under the disguise of her friend. And the more she gets to know him, the more she falls in love.
One of my all time favorites:)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:56:19 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 6:42:51 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:39:09 AM PST
Bling says:
Eye of the Beholder - Ruth Ann Nordin (Ok read, mainly because it was a little slow but really, really sweet :) )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:11:23 PM PST
Loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:08:22 AM PST
Jean says:
It's been a while since I read it, but I really liked Eye of the Beholder, too. It was so sweet.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:21:57 AM PST
Alexa says:
bump

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:44:32 AM PST
Rea says:
Annie's Song- h is sweet,gentle,lonely
The Charm School- h is awkward,plain,chubby,shy
Summer Breeze- h is agoraphobic, esp open spaces so she hasn't been out of the house for years; not so much awkward as very wary of people
The Husband Trap- h is the shy quiet twin;bookish too
The Proposition-linguist instructor,more on the prim side,but she's sweet and innocent
Seize the Fire-sweet,naive,plump

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:14:58 AM PST
Tala says:
I really liked Annie's Song. How does Summer Breeze compare?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:45:46 PM PST
Rea says:
I haven't reread Summer Breeze as much as I've done Annie's Song. Summer Breeze is actually part of a series, but can be read on its own. The first book is Keegan's Lady. I think you're gonna like Summer Breeze. The H and h are both likeable. It's a sweet story, like Annie's Song, that makes you laugh and cry. There was a letter at the end that is absolutely gonna tug at your heart.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 2:53:52 PM PST
Tala says:
I've got Keegan's Lady on my wishlist. Can't get it for kindle. I'll look up Summer Breeze. Thanks much for the information.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:01:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:19:25 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:55:50 AM PST
Bump

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:16:26 PM PST
ebookfan says:
Rea- Thanks just picked up Annie's Song
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions