Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly scarred hero!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 103 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 12:59:57 AM PST
sinnamon says:
Do you know any romance novels where hero was physically scarred in childhood? Women find him repulsive so he has little or none experience with them. He's shy, self concious and tries to avoid people. His marriage with heroine is arranged and he slowly opens up for her. I'd prefer heroine gentle hearted, quiet and sweet instead of feisty and bold.

I also don't want hero who used to be handsome, desired womaniser not coping with his new scarred self. I want hero who grew up believing himself hideous and less man.

A beautiful love story with that theme:

His Secondhand Wife (Historical) by Cheryl St. John

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:12:49 AM PST
Lord Rose says:
Mary Jo Putney's novella The Black Beast of Belleterre fits that description. It's in a couple anthologies, Christmas Revels and A Victorian Christmas: Five Stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:52:53 AM PST
cathyr says:
The Christmas Knight (Zebra Historical Romance) by Michele Sinclair. A childhood accident resulted in extensive burns to his face including the loss of an eye. He uses the injury to keep people at bay.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:39:07 AM PST
Lord Rose says:
Oh, I thought of another one! Beast by Judith Ivory, which is fabulous. He was injured at birth by Victorian medical practices, and is scarred and blind in one eye. He's not inexperienced, but is definitely afraid people will find him repulsive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:12:52 AM PST
Teresa says:
I have read and reread this book.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:11:40 AM PST
Neeta says:
Beast by Pepper Pace. Hero is a Marine attached to Homeland Security and working a monitoring/security detail at a government building. Heroine is a curvy girl computer geek working in the same building. They meet when the h starts using the building's gym. H has horrid facial scarring from a truly bad cleft palette that wasn't corrected as well as should have been when he was young due to his family being really poor. He's also 6 feet 7 tall and so scary as hell to most people, not only women. He's actually only ever fully "done the deed" twice in his life. An absolutely gorgeous love story where the H and h become best friends before the smexing ever starts. The feel of the book in some ways reminds me of Katie Allen's Breaking the Silence. So if you liked that one, give Beast a go.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:19:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 6:42:12 AM PST
sinnamon says:
Thank you guys!

I've just finished The Black Beast of Belleterre and I loved it.
To bad Mary Jo Putney didn't make full length novel of this story.

I've downloaded both The Christmas Knight by Michele Sinclair and Beast by Pepper Pace but I think I'll start with Beast. I loved Breaking the Silence. As the matter of fact I've spent last Sunday rereading it.

@Lord Rose
Is H in Beast by Judith Ivory a womaniser?
The blurb states that he successfully wooed half of noble females in Europe.
I was rather looking for hero who avoid balls, London's elite and is awkward with women.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:19:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:45:31 AM PST
Jean says:
I can't quite remember if Sin from Born in Sin (Avon Romantic Treasure) by Kinley MacGregor was actually physically scarred or not - can someone help with that? I remember he had a really sad life and was emotionally scarred but can't remember why women were turned off by him. Great book, though. (But he is a virgin who is being forced into an arranged marriage to a sweet and kind heroine!)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:37:53 AM PST
reads*a*lot says:
Only Yours (Fool's Gold, Book 5) by Susan Mallery. It is part of the Fools Gold series. Good book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:43:43 AM PST
The hero in the Ivory's gorgeous Beast doesn't fit your criteria. He's rather unique. He is insecure about his injuries and scars but at the same time he is a completely vain peacock who uses clothing, attitude and his aristocratic stature to mask any insecurities and beat back anyone that would dare treat him as lesser (I loved that about him). He also has a long term married lover when the books opens so he's hardly a shrinking violet around women. His relationship with the heroine though is complicated. It also takes place in late 19th c France - first aboard a steam ship then mostly at his estate in France.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:09:47 PM PST
cathyr says:
It is a surprising book. And it holds up to re-reading.

I particularly liked the history lessons at the beginnings of the chapters. Kinda cool, and does help give the story extra depth.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:23:27 PM PST
Lorraine Heath: Texas Destiny (Leigh Family). He was scarred and injured at 15 during the Civil War. His only contact with women has been with prostitutes - who charge him double. He's sent by his brother to pick up his mail order wife and on the journey they fall in love.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:51:11 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
I love TEXAS DESTINY, but there's no arranged marriage between the hero and heroine to fit the OP's request. It is a wonderful story though, so OP give it a try. :-)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:08:56 PM PST
Jill says:
Bump!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:09:17 AM PST
Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed fits this theme. It's a Beauty and the Beast story you might like.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:54:47 PM PST
LTR says:
Neeta, I just finished reading Beast based on your rec and I loved it -- thanks for posting it!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:13:10 PM PST
Teresa says:
The Christmas Knight (Zebra Historical Romance) is an excellent example of the h being scarred also. I loved this book and have re-read several times. I just wish she had written the sister's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:16:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:16:35 AM PST
Neeta says:
My pleasure hon. It's gorgeous isn't it. It's become one of my keeper faves.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:36:23 PM PST
Bling says:
Ravished by Amanda Quick. Doesn't fit all of your criteria but H is definitely scarred, insecure and has an arranged marriage with the delightful h (She's so cute! :) ) He was NOT scarred in childhood and therefore, was quite handsome before the scar but I don't think he was a womanizer. Loved this book :)

To Pleasure a Prince by Sabrina Jeffries. H has a large burn scar, courtesy his mother. Outcast from society; he can't be described as shy but is definitely very self-conscious about his scar and believes h won't love him. Has to marry heroine when found in a compromising situation with her.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:49:43 PM PST
TeenyB says:
Her reluctant groom by rose Gordon. H was badly scared on body and face from a horse riding accident

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:36:32 PM PST
GoTaddict says:
bump

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 12:46:54 PM PST
Mai N.B says:
Elizabeth Hoyt
The Raven Prince (hero has pox scars on his face but still smoking hot ,he is an earl)

Teresa Medeiros
Yours Until Dawn(hero bline -wonderful read)

Jennifer Ashley
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie(hero has asperger syndrome )

Mary Balogh
The Secret Pearl (her is scarred from battle on his face-his legs also are scarred)
Simply Love (He is scarred and missing an eye and an arm)

Kresley Cole
If you Deceive (Hero used to be extremely handsome but now has a long and ugly scare on his face)

Lynn Kurland
This is all I ask (Hero is hot and so handsome but he is bline )

Elizabeth Hoyt
To Beguile a Beast (Hero is missing an eye and a 2fingers )

Julie Garwood
The Prize (He is a Norman Baron -so sexy-he has a scar on his face)

Shana Galen
When you give a Duke a Diamond (Hero regal and sexy duke- but he is deaf in his left ear )

Jude Deveraux
The Duchess (Hero has scars on his face and body - he is an explorer -attacked by an animal I think)

Gayle Callen
The Viscount in Her Bedroom (hero nearly blind)

Anne Gracie
Gallant Waif(Hero has a scar-lame leg)

Sabrina Jeffries
To Pleasure a Prince (H has a scar on his face )

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 2:30:04 PM PST
Part of the conflict of the book is that the hero is convinced that the heroine would not let him touch her face because of his scars Once a Princess (Cardinia's Royal Family)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 3:13:51 PM PST
LTR says:
I loved Beast and I'm also trying to think of the name of the Sandra Hill book (in her Cajun series) with the scarred hero. Once I read one of hers, I went on a kick and read several in a row. Loved the Grannie -- I wish I had a relative like her! If I think of the name of the book, I'll re-post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:21:14 PM PST
L. Burns says:
I think Tall Dark and Cajun is the one you're thinking of.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  103
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions