Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Your favorite Native American Romance novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2009 10:34:59 AM PST
Way back when:
For a year or two, when I first got into reading romance novels, I only read NA romances. Nothing else interested me. Then I branched out and started reading pretty much everything. Good thing! I would have had nothing to read at this point. There are very few good NA romances being written now. (I'm not a Cassie Edwards fan.)

After the recent flood of paranormals, it seems impossible to find a good NA book. I want to read some now, to break up the monotony of the paranormals and spy sagas.

I know they are hard to find these days, so I will probably have to look into used books. (Thank goodness for Amazon.) I'd love some suggestions from all of you!

These are some of my NA favorites:

Feather in the Wind, Madeline Baker

Under a Prairie Moon, Madeline Baker

Cheyenne Song, Georgina Gentry

Ride the Fire, Pamela Clare

Velvet Savage, Kathleen Drymon (I've already read everything by her)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 10:45:35 AM PST
peppermint says:
Alyce,
What does NA stand for here?Are these all historicals and is that you are saying you want?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 10:59:54 AM PST
Kay says:
the best ones I have ever read are a series by Susan Johnson , BLAZE, SILVER FLAME, FORBIDDEN, BRAZEN, and FORCE OF NATURE. Johanna Linsay also wrote some including Brave the Wild Wind and Savage Thunder. Also see Kathleen Eagle, who is NA herself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 11:57:36 AM PST
Alyce,

You'll find some recommendations for your requested NA theme on this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/romance/forum/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx1IZ8FIDSSYUBT&displayType=tagsDetail

Happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 1:22:19 PM PST
Pepp:
NA = Native American

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 1:29:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2009 1:31:02 PM PST
Kay:
I did read Savage Thunder. Did you happen to read the sequel, " Angel"? It's also very good. ( although it suffered from " HEA overkill".)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 1:59:17 PM PST
MelissaB says:
Alyce,

I really loved Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson and highly recommend it if you haven't read that one yet. I still need to read the 3 sequels in the series.

Other NA books I have enjoyed:
Prairie Embrace by Rosanne Bittner (I really like her writing style and have a bunch more in my TBR pile)
Private Treaty by Kathleen Eagle
Grey Eagle's Bride by Jessica Wulf
Silken Savage, Night Flame by Catherine Hart
First Love Wild Love by Madeline Baker
Apache Caress, Warrior's Heart by Georgina Gentry (I like her writing style too and have a few more in the TBR pile)
Navajo Sunrise by Elizabeth Lane
Apache Fire by Theresa Michaels in the Renegades Anthology
Mackenzie's Mountain by Linda Howard (I am sure you probably read this one - it's a contemporary, the rest of the books are historicals)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 3:21:44 PM PST
MelB:
I've read several of those, but not all of them. You gave me several to look up. Cool!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 3:30:22 PM PST
Sissy says:
Alyce:
Comanche Moon is also one of my favorites. I didn't care for the sequels because IMO, Hunter's character was so diminished, he was unrecognizable. Loretta became the strong character.
Rosanne Bittner has so many that I loved. My favorite is not really N/A because the hero is a half breed raised by his white parent...the book is THUNDER ON THE PLAINS.
I too like the Mackenzie series by Linda Howard.
Janis Reams Hudson has an old Apache series...they're all keepers for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 3:55:50 PM PST
Lit Lady:
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Sissy:
I'll look these up too. I have read Mac's Mount. I haven't read the rest in that series. I really wanted to read his son's story. Not sure why I never did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 4:00:24 PM PST
MelB:
Darn doesn't look like there are any copies of "Prairie Embrace by Rosanne Bittner" available. I'll have to watch for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 4:02:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2009 4:03:28 PM PST
peppermint says:
Alyce I know a lot of folks can`t get past the Diana Palmer name but if you can her Paper Roses is an excellent book.
It is a long book and goes from the northern rez to DC and is the story of a NA son that refuses the h because he demands the Indan blood remain pure.
It is also a lesser story of his Mom and her very hard early life.
I seldom like 2 for 1s but this turned out to be nessesary and very,very good It is a contemp.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 4:07:44 PM PST
peppermint says:
Google says Prarie Embrace is available at Amazon UK and antiquebook.com(Solanbooks)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 4:10:52 PM PST
Thanks, Pepp!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 4:18:39 PM PST
Hey! I found it on Amazon under "Prairie Embrace by F. R. Bittner". Looks good!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 6:07:56 PM PST
Bingo says:
Hahaha, I'm not a Cassie Edwards fan either. The first N.A. romance I read was Cassie Edwards' "Lone Eagle". That was the cheesiest book I've ever read.

Try "Fire & Rain" by Kathleen Eagle. It's a modern N.A. romance. Well it takes place in the 1960s or 70s. The heroine is working on a reservation in South Dakota where she meets the hero. He's a Souix & a Vietnam vet. There's a lot of protesting going on, which ties into the plot. It's actually quite educational. Some of the events in the book were based on real events. I enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2009 7:54:15 PM PST
Angel9460 says:
Alyce in Wonderland:
What is HEA overkill?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 12:25:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2009 8:55:12 AM PST
Angel:
When you see the letters "HEA" in reviews, forums, etc., it means "Happily Ever After". It refers to a happy ending for a romance novel. "HEA overkill" is how I was describing that the author of the book had made everything too perfect at the end. Everyone, and I do mean EVERY CHARACTER in the story, ended up falling in love and getting married/pregnant. I hate that. It ruins the ability to find some reality in the story's outcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 12:35:34 PM PST
Mel:
I just finished "Prairie Embrace". It was very emotional, which I love, but I skimmed a few chapters in the last 1/4 of the book. I've always hated it when authors have the h/h separate for so many years, then you barely get to read about them reuniting in the last couple pages of the book. Personally, *SPOILER* I would have loved seeing him grab her and take her off to Canada through the winter. It would have been romantic and exciting to have them fleeing together as the soldiers chased them. There would have been a lot more romance involved if they had spent the time together instead of her continuing to be leashed to the jerk while Tohave was laying in a tipi wishing for his own death.

Still, yes it was an awesomely powerful book. Doubt I'll read it again, but it will definitely keep a place on my library shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 1:03:22 PM PST
MelissaB says:
Alyce,

I also do not like separations like that but I thought the rest of the book was really good. Good luck with finding other good NA books! Comanche Moon and Night Flame were both really good. I really enjoyed the romance in Grey Eagle's Bride, I thought it was sweet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 2:53:51 PM PST
D. A. Verno says:
Not sure if it counts, but Sara Donati's Into The Wilderness Series was very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 3:03:30 PM PST
Margaret Widdemer, Lady of the Mohawks. It's old, but still good. Colonial New York/Canadian frontier.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 7:21:11 PM PST
Virginia:
I can't think of any modern NA romances that are as good as the old ones. I'm so glad we can get the oldies here. It would be hopeless without the internet.

Mel:
I've just started "Navajo Sunrise". Looking forward to the story. Also, "Private Treaty" just arrived in the mail today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 7:54:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2009 7:57:51 PM PST
Angel9460 says:
Alyce In Wonderland:
Thanks for filling me in. I'm new to the forums. Even though Angel is one of my favorite books because I love the hero so much, I totally agree with you...HEA overkill! :)

If you haven't read Johanna Lindsey's A Heart So Wild, you might enjoy that one. Even though the hero is not NA by blood, he is raised as an Apache Brave. It is a fantastic story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 8:03:28 PM PST
Book Worm says:
My top 2 favorite NA and 2 of my favorite books as well are Pamela Clare's Ride the Fire and Catherine Anderson's Cheyenne Amber. Cheyenne Amber is no longer in print however if you can get a copy its so worth it. The dialouge in the book is some of the best i ever read and gets better with each re-read.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions