Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 300 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 10:16:12 AM PST
Can anyone recommend a romance where the alien H doesn't look exactly like a human or so close to one that it's hard to tell the difference. I've been wading through the 'alien' romances to find something different out there, but the reviews and book descriptions don't always describe the alien's appearance. Then I buy it, start reading and lo and behold, he looks almost exactly like a human. SF has a whole host of interesting humanoid aliens but the only kind that ever seem to travel over to the romance genre are the least interesting and most similar to us.
Maybe it's just me, and that's why I can't find anything like this, but I'd like to see a romance where the H and h have to cope with real physical differences. I don't think shifters count.
If you have read anything where the alien H isn't just another variation on humanity, please tell me.
Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:00:01 PM PST
hmmmmm interesting topic. I can't say I have read a story about an alien who's makeup presented a challenge in a relationship. I know in Ral's Woman (Zorn Warriors, Book One) their bodies were close to that of a "earthling" however he some physiological differences like the way she described his nose and his man parts. He also had different ideas how to perform sex. The book isn't particularly well written to me. But maybe you can explore that series.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:03:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:06:28 PM PST
V SaewodTice says:
Not sure if these are too humanoid for you, but Evangeline Anderson's Kindred series is Alien Males. Yes they are human-like, but they do have some 'alien' attributes about their 'private' areas and even a little to their appearance.
Claimed (Brides of the Kindred)

Also, Genesis (Enslaved) has alien men. Again, they have two legs, two arms, but are yellow skinned and covered in black markings. They are HUGE males and have some interesting abilities when it comes to being under water, etc.
Genesis (Enslaved)

I think most authors are afraid to put people off with more alien appearances. But there may be some out there I'm not aware of. If you find them, please share!

EDITED TO ADD:
Eden I forgot about this one. The alien guy is VERY alien to the girl. Though this is heavier SF rather than romance/erotic. But its there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:06:44 PM PST
Cybercliper says:
I hope you get some recs - I love this type of SF too. The only one I can think of right now is:

Starkissed - Lanette Curington - $4.24

I loved the whole world she created and the characters. Very sweet romance. Last I heard she had so many demands for a sequel that she is considering it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:07:49 PM PST
V SaewodTice says:
I keep thinking of them now. LOL

I haven't read this one, but the H is supposed to be really different. Starkissed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:26:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:37:58 PM PST
Thank you everyone for your response. I'll check all your suggestions out. I agree, V SaewodTice, that authors are afraid that an alien appearance might put people off, but I hope that some romance writers will brave it anyway. It would be a nice change.

ETA - I'm going to start with Starkissed and Eden. Thanks for the recs and please let me know if you can think of any more.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:29:48 PM PST
Lights, Camera, Monsters by Lila Dubois. There are 3 or 4 in the series.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:34:55 PM PST
Cybercliper says:
I haven't read this one but the H is a real alien - scales and all.

The Huntress - Barbara Karmazin - $5.99

I think this one is also erotica/romantica...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:35:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:36:29 PM PST
Thank you, Debra. I bought the first one. Sounds promising.

ETA- Thank you Cybercliper, I added The Huntress. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:47:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:49:01 PM PST
Starkissed by Lanette Curington

Tentacles of Love by Margaret L Carter

The Huntress by Barbara Karmazin

This one is a gargoyle during the day and a human at night
Patricia's Desire (Beauty's Stone Beast Series Book 3) by Shiloh Darke

Edited to add
I see that some of mine have been recommended already. Sorry about that. It took me so long to remember them I got behind.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:04:54 PM PST
Tala says:
I second Lights, Camera...Monsters and will add Hunter's Moon from the blurb...
"He's six feet of sensuous panther-black skin stretched over taut muscle. His green eyes glow with feral intelligence..."

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:01:42 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
The hero in Demon's Captive is different. Very steamy with a super-possessive hero.

Kaitlyn O'Conner has a couple of these as well, although the "alien-ness" of her heroes varies. When I get a chance, I will see if I can figure out which ones are most non-human.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:35:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:35:49 PM PST
<<I think this one is also erotica/romantica...>>
From what I've read so far...definitely. I'm seeing a lot of erotic novels where the H is non-human, but I'm not a big fan of erotica, although 53% into the Huntress, there's been enough SciFi elements that I'm enjoying it even if it's more explicit that my usual reading.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far. Now I can spend more time reading rather than searching for what I want to read. Keep the recommendations coming.

ETA a word

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:42:15 PM PST
atiptoes says:
The aliens in Obsidian (A Lux Novel) have two forms. One human and then the other as a bright light in the shape of a human. Not sure if that is what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:25:05 PM PST
Glorificus says:
Captive Surrender by Linda Mooney. Really good book.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:38:41 PM PST
Tippi says:
STARKISSED and DEMON'S CAPTIVE are two of the best books of this genre I have read.
I recommend BREEDING GROUND and DEMENTIA both by Jaid Black. These two are also terrifice reads. Good luck and thanks for starting this thread, I'm interested in finding more books like these also.

Tippi :)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:50:28 PM PST
SuzyQ says:
I second Captive Surrender by Linda Mooney - it is a really good book & the hero isn't described as looking human at all. By the way, the picture of the hero on the cover looks nothing like he is described in the book.

Captive Surrender

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:26:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 1:29:42 PM PST
Lionheart (StarQuest, Book One) The Hero looks like a lion has hair all over his body and a tail. The only place that he doesn't have hair is on his palms and the bottom of his feet,he also has claws.

Edited: Judy Mays does a series, I've only read one but the Hero looks human he just has a tail also. If I remember it right. I'll post a link just in case. Brianna (Celestial Passions)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:32:58 PM PST
JillyBean says:
I loved Starkissed!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:11:26 PM PST
Just finished Starkissed and I have to say it was a spot-on recommendation. Exactly what I was looking for with this thread! It's earned a permanent place on my Kindle. On to the next rec.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:55:19 PM PST
Talltree says:
This reminded me of Gail Faulkners books. I think this hero is leonine with a tail too.Ask For It

Interesting thread.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:20:14 AM PST
Just wanted to add an update for anyone else that's looking for recommendations like this. I finished Eden, and I enjoyed it as well. The alien is different than the h, although he's still mostly human in appearance. It was a good love story despite a few frustrating parts, and there were also good science fiction elements.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:29:17 AM PST
Cybercliper says:
Here's a couple of more you might take a look at:

Endless Blue - Wen Spencer - Fantasy - Hero is big red, claw and fanged - I liked it.

Demon Possession (Shadow Quest Book 1) - Keirstan Fay - Demon Aliens - Hero is huge with horns, fangs, claws and maybe a tail - his sister Sonya's tail whipping about is mentioned quite a bit but I don't recall about the hero.

What did you think about The Huntress?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:24:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 12:25:39 PM PST
I downloaded Demon Possession and added Endless Blue to my cart. It's going to be strange to read an actual book again. :) Thanks for the recs.

As for The Huntress, I'm having a hard time getting through it. The writing's good and the characters and SciFi elements are interesting, but the H is a beta-male which isn't very exciting for me and they spend most of the book getting busy, so to speak (don't mean to sound like a prude, I just don't want the censors after me). I keep having to skip through long scenes to get back to the story. I don't mind some explicit scenes and I know this is romantica, but I find it distracting after a while. That's just my preference though, not a condemnation of a decent read. I probably will return to reading it once I finish all the other recs, and I can certainly vouch for the H being physically different. In fact, some of the differences are quite unique so it's definitely worth a read if you like romantica.

Edited to change a word.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:49:13 PM PST
Cybercliper says:
Thanks for the info on The Huntress. That was kinda my impression from the reviews and why I hadn't tried it yet. I don't mind love scenes but they take a backseat to plot and characterization for me.

I'll keep looking through my database for other recs but, honestly, I haven't found anything that can compare with Starkissed. I'm hoping she writes a sequel.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  300
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  19 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 44 customers

Search Customer Discussions