Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Looking for heartbreaking scene

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 5:15:52 PM PST
Ktreads says:
I am looking for recommendations for books that have heart breaking scenes. (Possible spoilers)...like in Lord of Scoundrels when Dane refuses to protect Jessica when they are discovered, or in Ravishing the Heiress when the heroine reveals her feelings to the hero and he does not reciprocate. I am not particularly interested in cruel heroes. Lothaire was heartbreaking, but he was a bit too over the top for me. I prefer historicals, but I would appreciate any recommendations!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:25:20 PM PST
V says:
One of the most heart breaking scenes that stayed with me came fromThe Coming Home Place (Monogram). Truth be told there's several heart breaking scenes in this book but the one that gets to me the most is the scene after the h gives birth and she walks in on the H and the baby and the H tells the baby that he should have had blond hair(because the woman that he loved had blond hair). I actually cried and I rarely cry. Like I said before there are quite a few scenes that break my heart in this book and the hero is a bit cruel but it's still a great read(warning: there is cheating by the hero). This is a historical.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:05:07 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
I hate spoilers, so I'm trying to avoid giving too much away here.
The Duke and I-Simon is treated so cruelly by his father...also when he finally opens up to Daphne--heartbreaking!!
A Kiss to Remember-several in this one that always make me grab the tissues.
Beguiled (Harlequin Historical)-What a hero! So patient and loving...
Dreaming of You-The first time Derek opens up to Sara about his painful past trying to scare her away. Oh, I was a goner...and the ending!! Sigh.
[[ASIN:0312605919 Dream Lake]-The relationship between the heroine and her grandmother is incredibly poignant. I also love how the heroine's gentle and shy nature heals the hero.
One more and then I'll stop--
Parting Gifts-I literally found myself weeping throughout this novel that beautifully depicts the love between a father and his children, two brothers, and a man and woman.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:56:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 6:58:19 PM PST
chichia says:
Hmm, no cruel hero and heartbreaking historical. . . I would have to say my pick goes to a scene in Addicted when the hero, Lindsay, finds out Anais', the heroine, secret. As he is walking down the stairs, she chases him and calls out that he is going "to ruin everything". He stops at the the bottom, turns around and points to her, and says, "No, Anais, *you* have ruined everything."

It doesn't seem like much without the context of the story, but that scene really stuck with me. There was such a sense of finality to it. In that moment it seemed as there was no going back and no going forward, either.

As for Contemporary, Crazy For Lovin' You (Harper Monogram) has a very sad/heartbreaking scene, IMO, where the hero saves the heroine from a fire after her stepfather tries to kill her. They are no longer together at the time, but even so the hero rushes into save her and then refuses to let anyone take her from him. He is crying as he gives out and falls to his knees while holding the heroine and thinks to himself (of the heroine who is unconscious), "Gonna live a long, long time. Long enough for me to tell you that I don't blame you for not believing. Long enough for me to tell you that you were the best thing that ever happened to me, even if we didn't make it."

I also have these marked as tearjerkers on goodreads (: Binding Arbitration, Play Dirty, Second Glance, The Passions of Emma, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, A Place to Call Home, Deeper,
Sinful, Broken, The Sweet Gum Tree, but I can't recall what scenes are for which book at the moment.

Apparently, I posted too many links because Amazon reduced them :(

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:13:13 PM PST
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:23:00 PM PST
Arual says:
This one isn't a historical, but I cried buckets: In the Shadow of the Dragonfly by M. Jean Pike

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:31:12 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes series) - When the h thinks she's losing her baby and the H has to tell her she was never pregnant, she's being slowly poisoned. Cried buckets over that scene.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:33:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:41:00 PM PST
cbela says:
Books that I reread and that are every time heart tugging! :)
I too have to agree Dreaming of You (Gamblers)
Something Wonderful---H speech to h about why he understands she wouldn't love/want him anymore.
Paradise---the misunderstanding about "baby" miscarried/aborted.
Once and Always---when H thinks h is dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:28:52 PM PST
Reader in NJ says:
Hans, no offense, while that is a good book -- this is the romance forum -- it doesn't 'fit' here.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:08:15 PM PST
Tala says:
Here's a few that got to me.
Second Chances
If I'd Never Known Your Love this one really made me cry.
The Perfect Union (Perfect Love)
Loving Lies
Poppy's Passions
I know there are more. I just can't remember them right now.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:17:46 PM PST
Oh Man I have tons!....Okay maybe I'm just a crybaby but a lot of books made me cry! :P
His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides)- the scene where Stormy talks to her dad about husbands cheating, and how she feels when she thinks about the H with any other woman!
Fires of Winter (Viking Haardrad Family)- the scene when the baby is born and he wasn't breathing. The H blows air into the baby's mouth saying he can't die that she (the h) wouldn't never forgive him! That she will think that he killed the baby!
Hannah Howell has some historical's that would fit this I think.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:21:09 PM PST
Kate Barley says:
Cry No More -- when the heroine tells her ex-husband that she has found their son and when she meets her son's adopted parents.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:15:16 AM PST
DVC Bunny says:
Chea - ITA on binding arbitration. I'm NEVER one to cry at a scene in a book but this one just did me in.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:53:36 AM PST
Mo says:
I second Cry No More and
Me Before You - I will still crying the night after reading it - not everybody's cup of tea but I really liked it ... and hated it - if you know what I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:55:54 AM PST
AnekaTX says:
The scene at the end of Flowers from the Storm, where Maddy was at the tribunal to confess her sins, was very emotional. I want to cry every time I think about that scene.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:27:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:28:40 AM PST
How about The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series)? It's not historical, but it's set in an alternate universe where there are warriors and knights. There is a scene where the hero doubts the heroine, it was heartbreaking because he called her a monster, a witch that seduced him (at this time she is pregnant with his child) he says that if the 'creature' she carries happens to be a human boy or girl, then he will take her back. She tells him that if that happens, then she will never love him again and he doesn't believe her so she leaves him and he realizes his mistake. It's very good! So is the rest of the series! You should check it out.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:54:43 AM PST
Lady Gallant. I know this is probably an obvious one as it was discussed at length in the grovel thread but still fits. When the H pretends he never cared for the h and she just crumbles, devastating.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:03:15 AM PST
SuzieBags says:
Passion This book had me balling, great story of a great love between H and h.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:09:44 AM PST
cbela says:
@hermione...
I've only read GD out of that series... but yes that scene was heartbreaking!!!:'( It's one of the top 3 I really like by KA. :)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:59:06 AM PST
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:04:54 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Herr Gruber - I realize that this (hopefully) has escaped you, but this is the ROMANCE forum, not the TRAGEDY forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:53:45 PM PST
Book addict says:
Trying to decide if im going to buy it, how did Me Before You end?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:20:51 PM PST
Mo says:
It ended not the way you would want a Romance book to end but I suppose it HAD to in a way - totally depressing but totally compelling also - I would definitely recommend it ..... God, feel the tears welling up again, thinking about it. Still don't understand why folks want to know Spoilers or how books end ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:31:13 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Well, hold on now. A romance, by definition, has an HEA. If it doesn't, then it's not a romance. It might be a love story and romantic, but not a romance.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:17:59 PM PST
Mo says:
HJ, I agree with you - It was NOT a romance ... but then again it was in some ways it just did not have the HEA - I really FELT it but would not like to be reading too many books like that - too much emotion and tears... Is Romeo and Juliet Romance?? Not a great ending there but it probably seen as a Romantic Play ... West Side Story?? Love Story?? - is that romance?? Whatever, I still stand by it being one of the best books I have read this year - just not going to read it again soon as I will be blubbing all over the place again... off to read GD now - Thanks HJ!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions