Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Help finding a book...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:05:34 PM PST
Angela G says:
Hi, I've been trying to find a book that I loved when I was 14 and it was one of the first romance novels I read. It's set in the 1700's/1800's? and it's about a young girl who is married to her father's friend because when her father died the friend wanted to make sure she was taken care of - they were totally platonic. She ends up kissing a guy at some party and then doesn't see him again until her "husband" dies. They marry but there's all kinds of angst and then some painter is obsessed with her and paints a nuddie picture of her and the husband thinks she posed for it/cheated on him and hell breaks loose. Any ideas??? Thanks for looking!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:08:22 AM PST
cathyr says:
Maybe The Abduction Of Julia by Karen Hawkins? There's a painting by someone obsessed with the OW used to discredit Julia (she and Alec are supposed to "live without scandal" for 12 months).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:25:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:32:21 AM PST
JennyG. says:
It sounds like By Love Beguiled by Sandra Dubay

HE TAUGHT HER THE MEANING OF ECSTASY --BUT COULD SHE WIN HIS HEART?

Widowed after seven years of celibate marriage to a man old enough to be her father, Lysette Ravaisson is still young, lovely, and free at last to seek the love she longs for. But the burden of her late husband's debts forces her to a fateful decision: she must abandon Saint-Cloud, her beloved plantation home and her loyal servants, or marry wealthy Nicholas Callaway, the man with whom she had once shared a brief moment of passion, but who now seems cynical and cold.

Their marriage of convenience begins with deep misunderstandings on both sides. Yet within Lysette's vulnerable heart a hidden love smolders into a flame of passion strong enough to withstand jealousy, abduction, and tragic loss--everything except the indifference of the husband she has learned to adore....

P.S. I haven't read BY LOVE BEGUILED but the reader who suggested it to me gave me the following spoilers:

"There is no rape but the hero goes into a jealous rage, chokes the heroine, and pushes her (accidentally?) down the stairs causing her to lose their baby."

I think I read somewhere that the book features the artist and the naked painting but maybe someone who has read the book can confirm whether it is the one you are looking for.

Jenny

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:40:30 AM PST
bookworm says:
Sounds like a great story...hope we find it. Though, By Love Beguiled does sound like that's the one:)

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:50:37 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
It is By Love Beguiled - The H's former mistress arranges for the painting to be displayed in public and the H goes nuts on the h.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:54:10 AM PST
Damn By Love Beguiled looks good, but no Kindle version, WTF?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:56:22 AM PST
bookworm says:
No way! Just got A Kindle bc all the books were mostly becoming ebooks..wtf is right!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:38:49 AM PST
Ayako Ester says:
That's it!!! Thanks so much JennyG! Now I just have to try and find it :) Thanks all for responding!!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:04:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:06:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 1:13:40 PM PST
JennyG. says:
You are welcome. :)

Happy reading!

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 6:07:08 PM PST
lisalisacats says:
Looking for a book - historical western romance
story of a tomboy woman who makes a bet with her father that she would be married by Friday or he would send her to stay with her aunt. She puts on her deceased mother's gown and goes into town and stands on the church steps telling everyone that she needs to get married. A cowboy in the crowd - turns out he was the best friend of the man she had been in love with who was killed - says he'll marry her. He thinks her family may have had something to do with his friends death. Anyway...that's as far as I got when my kindle CRACKED and I had to order a new one. Any help would be appreciated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4893 1 hour ago
Free Today Third Edition 2933 1 hour ago
Heroes that grovel correctly *Possible Spoilers* 8977 3 hours ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 3920 3 hours ago
Romances Set in a "Real" Alaska 140 3 hours ago
Weekend Reading - 24-26 June 10 3 hours ago
Help: can't remember this shifter book 9 4 hours ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 1354 4 hours ago
Looking for a book-child caught in blind cord 0 4 hours ago
Hero dislikes the h and is considering marriage to another 4 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions