Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

heroine makes huge sacrifice for distrustful Hero....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 9:30:42 AM PST
readtoomuch says:
Any recs where the heroine makes a huge sacrifice for the distrustful Hero. More specifically, books like Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught where h steps in front of the (cruel!) H to take a bullet meant for him and almost dies and Case of the Missing Secretary by Diana Palmer where pregnant h almost dies carrying baby, because (another mean) H made h believe he only wanted the baby.

The sacrifice doesn't have to be the h's life, but something big that makes the distrustful H believe he's been wrong h and is remorseful about how cruel he's been to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 12:56:12 PM PST
V says:
Lawless by Diana Palmer. Heroine takes a bullet for the mean hero in this one.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:12:06 PM PST
Redeeming Zorus (Cyborg Seduction Book 6) by Laurann Dohner

h makes a sacrifice a couple of times. She is rescuing him from captivity. They are running and they meet the people who have paid her brother (he "kindly" volunteered her for the task). Brother has betrayed her (sold her as a mistress to her ex), she has been druggged but she tells the H to run.

Second time, they are on the transport ship and she manages to escape (not knowing the H set it up for her). She goes to his room first though to check and see if he needs rescued too. She's still too weak to run because of the drugs so she tells him to take the shuttle and go. She'll wait for the drug to pass and then she'll make another attempt for herself.

The H is a real jerk in the previous books (this is book 6). He is the driving force behind the anti-human laws on the Cyborg's planet.

Great book. It would help to read all the series but I think you would understand enough just reading this one to like it. (FYI: Flint in book 1 is a REAL, BIG a..hole but he gets better as the series goes on.)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:43:16 AM PST
bump

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 3:49:42 PM PST
this sounds interesting. BUMP!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:35:54 PM PST
Britawny says:
Bump

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:11:15 PM PST
Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1) by Macy Beckett - One of the few non-action, non-paranormal contemps I actually enjoyed reading.

SPOILERS

Not a life-threatening one. The H has been wanting to buy back his family's land. The h has money she has been saving to open her own bar. You can guess what happens from here.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:04:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 5:05:22 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
Midnight Jewels - JAK

H goes off for final showdown with the baddie, telling h to hunker down and wait for him to come back. (He's trained for this sort of thing, she isn't.) Baddie contacts her to tell her he caught the H (a lie) and she needs to come to his lair and turn over the macguffin to save the H. H is more touched than pissed when he finds out.

(He distrusts love in general, rather than the h specifically.)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:19:10 AM PST
BUMP

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:56:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 3:57:52 AM PST
Bling says:
Ooh this sounds interesting. I'm in need of some angst :p

Another Judith McNaught - a contemp has this sort of theme - Paradise.

*SPOILERS*
She resigns from her company for him.

Then, it was also in a Jude Devereux book IIRC - The Black Lyon. h takes arrow for H.

Also in The Warlord by ELizabeth Elliott, IIRC, the heroine takes arrow for H.

However in the last two books, I didn't really feel the H deserved h's sacrifice.

Also, you might try these threads:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx2RNC9NOHM2H4X

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx2QIHCQ4R31LJP

Edited to ask: Do the Diana Palmer heroes redeem themselves? I'm scared to read her books because of all the bad-mouthing about her heroes :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:10:38 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
I am an avid fan of Diana Palmer books. I like the traditional story lines and the mean heroes that get the OMG moment and realize what jerks they have been. The meaner they are, the better I like it. No bodice ripping is involved, just stupid, stupid men logic. Some are more likable than others. In my eyes the HEAs are believable. Rose colored glasses are needed at different points of the stories and keeping a skillet handy for the mean Hs is a plus!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:23:50 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
Since it's a Diana Palmer, did he shake her and slap her for the effort?

*blinks*

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:41:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 11:43:58 AM PST
LTR says:
I've never read a Diana Palmer where the H slaps or hits the h. Her books are sooooo much alike though......the H is always in his 30s, the h is always 19 or 20, she's always a virgin and very sheltered. Just plug in a different name for the H and h and you have a new book to read. The H is always (and yes, I know I keep saying "always" but it's true) cruel and mean to the h, you always get to the end of the book where the h almost dies and the H always realizes that the he's in love with the h. And the h always is thrilled about that because no matter how cruel the H has been to her, she has always loved him for years.

ETA: the H is always rich and the h is usually dirt-poor. Can't believe I forgot that part.

Now, that being said, that doesn't mean that I don't have a dozen of her books on my bookshelves, and it doesn't mean that I don't re-read the parts where he gets the mental "OMG" moment. Not sure why I do but there it is -- so her formulaic writing must work for me on some level (and I don't want to delve too deeply on why that is).

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:06:21 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Wyoming Tough is 1st in her latest series. She is the rich one and he is the one who almost dies. Love the OMG moment when he realizes she was not after his money!!! Hehehehe! :) Loved it and the 2nd. DP books are all keepers on my shelf.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:25:24 PM PST
LTR says:
You're right, D Arnold, I guess my "always" got me in trouble and made me an inadvertent fibber. I have Wyoming Tough on my keeper shelf too! Might have to re-read it soon!

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:07:29 PM PST
Duncan's Bride by Linda Howard would be good for this thread. It is a contemporary. She is wealthy, but not satisfied with her life. On a whim she responds to the H's ad for a wife, he has had a bitter divorce and his ex-wife took him to the cleaners, but he needs the extra help a wife brings to his ranch. I love the way the h doesn't allow herself to become a victim of his bitterness and has real steel in her spine. He is close to losing the ranch despite them having done everything they can, so she pumps part of her trust fund into it to save it for their child (she is pregnant). The H goes ballistic since he made her sign a prenup. that she has no claim to any part of the ranch in case of divorce, but this would trump it. She gets mad and leaves. Not far, just to the next town and she takes a job as a waitress in the local cafe. She will not come back with him, no matter how much he apologies until he gives her what she wants.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:49:24 PM PST
I really liked this book also - when oh when will there be a Kindle edition?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 4:33:28 PM PST
See, I like the OMG moments and Diana Palmer is definitely good at them...but the problem for me is that the Palmer H's almost NEVER learn from them. Even after they've realized that they are definitely that year's meanest, cruelest, jerkiest man in all of [insert whatever place all the cowboys/organic ranchers/attendees of mercenary school trained by Chuck Norris are] and have been ritually stomping all over some poor, innocent, wounded, virgin butterfly...they keep saying and doing the same nasty things as before.

They'll admit that they were wrong and that they were only so mean to the h because they are trying to hide their attraction to her/don't want to get married/don't want to be attracted to her. But then the next time they see the h, it's right back to business as usual - insulting the heck out of her, then kissing her, then insulting her again for letting him kiss her. Always followed by confusion as to why the h now runs the other way and/or cries every time she sees him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 4:37:30 PM PST
T. Smith says:
Exactly. I remember some scenes from Palmer books where the H is feeling badly about treating the h so bad. So he covers it up.... by treating her badly again! Like right then, right after thinking he feels bad for how he treated her. I'm like WTH, did you really think that was going to HELP?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 4:47:17 PM PST
Nicole says:
Only You H doesn't believe in love and his constantly telling the h that you can't trust women. H doesn't believe women are willing to give up their own comfort for the sake of a relationship, ie. they will choose money over love. Towards the end the h risks her life the save the H. SPOILER.....The H is somewhat unconscious and thinks that the h betrayed him. The h believing the H will never trust her leaves. Several days later when the H is healed he finds out the truth and comes after her.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:58:21 PM PST
Tracy says:
Amazon lily by Theresa weir. One of my favorites. h took the bullet for H. Very emotional and beautifully-written scene.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:32:53 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
I am in real life a DP girl. I put up with a ton of stuff! I am the proverbial 'good little woman'. My first marriage I can't begin to tell you what I dealt with for 10 years. When I found out about the cheating, I left. I try to see the 'good' in all right up until I am slapped up side the head with reality. I sleep at night with a clear conscious of how I feel about people. I am glad that I stuck with my 2nd hubby through the crazy times and I am blessed with a guy not perfect, but crazy about me now above everything else. After 12 years together, we are in a good place! I am a sucker for the meanies with their sweet women.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:14:51 PM PST
boogenhagen says:
Diana Palmer writes secret subconscious messages into her books -- they are like brain crack. Srsly that is the only reason I can think of for having every single one of her books and rereading them and even enjoying it when the h stabs herself and pretends to be dead.....LOL

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:53:15 AM PST
LTR says:
Someone had posted a link to Smart Bitches Trashy Books that I wish I would have bookmarked. Oh my gosh, I was rolling when I read it -- it was so spot on and since I'd read the book, it really made it funny. It was about one of the DP novels and talked about the 2000 people living in Jacobsville and most of them being mercs and drug runners. I've gone to the site and tried to find the "review" but couldn't -- if any of you know what I'm talking about and could post the link, it would fit with what we are talking about and I'd really appreciate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:04:03 AM PST
*chuckle* I'm assuming that's a reference to Iron Cowboy?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions