Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Romances in which the main character is killed off - help compile a list

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 12:30:50 PM PST
JennyG. says:
Please help me compile a list of romances in which the main hero or heroine are killed off. It can happen either at the end of the book or you find out in the next instalment.

I would like to avoid these books.

It looks like the heroine in Apache Promise by Janis Reams Hudson is killed off in the sequel Apache Temptation by Janis Reams Hudson.

Thank you very much.

Jenny

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:36:45 PM PST
DVC Bunny says:
Coming Home (Jackson Falls Series) I have to say I really liked this book, but the first 3/4 of the book you're lead to believe the H is someone else and is then killed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:13:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:32:39 PM PST
pona says:
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD:

These are older/bodice ripper type books:

In Dana Ransom's Pirate's Captive/The the hero & heroine, Merry and Nicholas, both die in the sequel, Alexandra's Ecstasy, which is about their daughter Alexandra. Merry and her son have been dead for some ten years and Nicholas is a walking corpse of a man who only finds solace when he is killed, so he that he can finally see his dead son and wife in heaven.

In Roberta Gellis's Roselynde series, in book #1, Roselynde (Signature Select), Alinor marries Simon, a man 30 years her senior, but he is dead in the beginning of book #2 Alinor, where Alinor finds love with Simon's squire Ian.

Bertrice's Small was famous for killing off hero #1 (or hero #2, #3, #4, etc., ). (This happened in at least Wild Jasmine, The Kadin, A Moment in Time, Betrayed and others.) In Skye O'Malley Skye ends up with Niall, but in All the Sweet Tomorrows, Niall dies and she ends up with Adam, a former lover from book #1. (I actually preferred Adam, so was ok with this.)

In Elaine Barbieri's Amber series, the heroine ends up with Simon in Book #1 Amber Fire . In Book #2 Amber Treasure, Simon dies midway, and she ends up with a new hero, Captain Worth Randolph, who is also the hero of Book #3 Amber Passion(and they live HEA).

Also, in the final book of Aleen Malcolm's Cameron series The Daughters of Cameron ( the first being The Taming and next Ride Out the Storm) Cameron dies, from consumption at age 36-37, having spent most of her marriage to Alex separated from him due to silly misunderstandings and war. I hated that book and it destroyed the series for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:22:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:23:08 PM PST
pona says:
Also in Marielle (Tapestry Romance) by Ena Halliday, Marielle falls in love with Andre, but by book #2 Lysette, Andre is severely tempted to cheat on Marielle with Lysette, and then sadly in book #3 Delphine (Tapestry), Marielle is dead and Andre finds new love with Delphine.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:33:33 PM PST
ICA says:
In Another Dawn by Sandra Brown, the h's father who was the H in Sunset Embrace is killed off. It ruined both books for me!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:38:44 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
Lucinda Brant kills off the hero from Noble Satyr: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series) somewhere between books two and three of the series, and the heroine then has a second hero in Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance. I liked book two well enough (about H#1 and h's son), but I refuse to read either of the other two.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:42:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:43:05 PM PST
pona says:
Although I haven't read the series, I know Janet Dailey killed off heroes in her Caulder series so that the hero's son could inherit the family legacy. Perhaps a better informed poster can point out which ones specifically.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:43:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:45:15 PM PST
Vasso says:
Across Eternity by Aris Whittier. The H is dying and wants to love before he dies. This story was good but I was totally thrown for a loop. I did not know of him dying and it broke my heart. I bawled and bawled. I was hoping that he was going to get better.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 2:47:33 PM PST
The Point of it All by Jade Carey. The H is killed off in the end by being in the wrong place during gang fighting in LA.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 3:03:35 PM PST
Marissa G says:
Three Wishes by Barbara Delinsky - h dies near the end after making her third wish.

Binding Arbitration, A Chick Lit/Contemporary Romance Novel by Elizabeth Marx - somewhat a surprise since the first half is very RomCom, but the son dies midway sending the h into deep depression. Son's health brought the H/h back together, so I'd consider him a main character. (I bawled for three chapters.)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 3:25:07 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Well, The Fault in Our Stars is supposed to be EXCELLENT, and I suspect (I can't state for sure, because I completely avoid known tearjerkers) that the H dies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:48:44 PM PST
its not really a romance though...i've read it - don't worry, shan't divulge any spoilers

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:56:53 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I wouldn't categorize any of the books where the Hero or Heroine dies as romances, either (see above), but that's just me. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:01:41 PM PST
true - very good point

I guess we could add pretty much all of Nicholas Sparks' books to the list...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:46:35 PM PST
neon moon says:
Scotland By Starlight: The sequel to A Scottish Ferry Tale by nancy volkers. at the end of the book, after approximately 10 years together, the h dies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:50:39 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
I'd agree that ones where the h or H dies in the book itself, though they may be excellent stories, they aren't truly romance novels.

A book can still be a romance novel, though, even though they kill off the h and/or H in the sequels. That's really, really annoying but doesn't "declassify" the first book.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:58:43 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Regardless if it is in the 2nd, 3rd, or whatever book that follows the H/h, one or both dying just feels like a betrayal from the author to their readers. It is just a slap in the face to know you have invested so much energy into this relationship only to have it completely undone. Even though Another Dawn was a great book for me, I was still very upset to hear that the H had died in 2nd book and will not read it. I haven't read anything by this author since.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:49:50 PM PST
Aussie Girl says:
Jo, it really is an excellent YA book but a major sobfest (what you suspected does happen) so if that's not your thing, I'd avoid it big time.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 6:37:40 PM PST
TeenyB says:
Oldie but goodie haunted by love by amber Kaye one of the first romance novels I ever read and I still love it. Somewhat on the paranormal side of things but an excellent read. I remember bawling my head off reading thus

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:01:19 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
Two YA books come to mind...Perfectly Hopeless and My Only.
I'd say enjoy, but it's never fun to turn into a sniveling mess.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:43:43 PM PST
Doro says:
The French Bride by Evelyn Anthony

Spoiler -
h dies at the end of the book just as H realizes he loves her.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:39:02 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
Anne Stuart's Maggie Bennett series. Hero of book one (Escape Out of Darkness) is killed off, and there's a new hero for books two (Darkness before the Dawn) and three (At the Edge of the Sun).

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 2:10:13 PM PDT
JennyG. says:
JenW says:

I have been looking for years for a book that I read in high school. The plot is: An Indian warrior is captured in battle and brought back to an English settlement. He is tied to a post in the middle of the stockade to await his fate. A young woman watches him throughout the day and becomes more and more distraught as he suffers in the heat without water or shade. She wants to help him, but her fiancee disapproves. When night falls she sneaks to the post and takes him water. He somehow overcomes her and not only escapes the stockade, but takes her with him. He brings her home to his people. Beautiful descriptions of Native American life follow, although she is treated very badly as a captured slave. Finally he vouches for her, marries her and many lovely lovemaking sessions ensue. (One in a stream, I think, and one which involved the first description of oral sex I ever encountered. Wow!) I'm pretty sure a baby follows and I thought we were at happily ever after, but the most tender, amazing hero I have ever encountered before or since is killed. (I cried bawling sobbing tears.) It may have been in the hunt for her, or by another tribe I can't remember, but somehow she ends up back at the stockade with her former fiancee. My memory is that he has grown up in the search for her. He understands her love for her dead husband and vows to be the best husband he can be to her. It is a bittersweet ending, but actually much more satisfying than it sounds like here. Anyone got a clue?

Original post: http://forums.rtbookreviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38936

I hope you can help identify this. Thank you in advance!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  23 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions