Customer Discussions > Romance forum

WTF Endings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 325 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 1:00:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 1:18:39 PM PDT
CMommy says:
Come Back To Me and Untraceable (Untouchable) both had WTF endings for me that left me angry for days. To help me avoid other books of this nature I'd like to hear what books some of you have read with awful endings and what made it awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:04:56 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Planning to Live Avoid, avoid, avoid. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:15:20 PM PDT
CMommy says:
HJ: I'm curious. What was the WTF ending of that book?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:16:25 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Book is 1st person POV, and she dies. Yup.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:17:36 PM PDT
CMommy says:
Nevermind HJ. I just read your review. I will avoid avoid avoid! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:21:45 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
The thing is, the book would have been so good if the author hadn't pulled that card at the end. I really kind of felt that she was just trying to avoid being predictable and decided to just go for the shocker.

Epic Fail.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:32:35 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
A Rose to the Fallen definitely has a WTF ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:34:16 PM PDT
CMommy says:
Kate: I think I read somewhere there's a sequel to that one. Didn't someone die in that book too?

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:40:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 1:41:03 PM PDT
Colleen says:
Years by LaVyrle Spencer

SPOILERS:

1. The brother, who's cool, dies. Horrifically.
2. There's an obscenely graphic scene where the "H" (I wasn't impressed) and the brother cut open horses and BURROW into them for warmth. I get that it's a blizzard and you need to stay warm, but I DIDN'T NEED THAT IMAGERY, LAVYRLE.
3. The (step)son goes to WW1 (maybe 2) and we never find out if he's alive.
4. The mom dies via the flu (along with half the characters).
5. There isn't a HEA or really an ending. They survive the flu and blizzard, but there's no "LIFE IS GREAT" moment.

I hate this book and will NEVER read another Spencer novel. Whenever I see her stuff being suggested, I want to post about Years and warn others. I resist this urge.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:43:59 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
I don't think there's a sequel. The H turns out to be a man-wh0re but also a fallen angel. He is obsessed with the h and they get married and have a baby. His ex-lover guns her down in their driveway in front of him. She makes him promise to take of their daughter. Then the h "wakes up" when the H joins here in heaven(?) and they are reunited. He admits at the end that he returned to his man-wh0re ways but never remarried. Like we need to hear about his sexual conquests after the poor h gets murdered by one of his wh0res. Before I get reamed out, yeah it's not cheating but it doesn't need to be addressed in the ending. Needless to say, I don't recommend the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:47:53 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Gringa - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord Book 1 (Gringa Series) -- hero is killed and the heroine ends up with the FBI agent who was on the case. Oh and it has a WTF beginning as well -- the hero (I use this term loosely) shoots the heroine multiple times and threws her over a cliff. So this one is a double winner.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:50:28 PM PDT
Wyldberry says:
Lol that sounds awesome - ly rubbish.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:58:08 PM PDT
The Point of it All by Jade Carey. The h is a (stuckup) cosmetic surgeon who works for the CIA giving the victims of torture and targets of the bad guys new faces so they can be moved to new lives. She totally blows off the H, who is giving a seminar to at-risk people on how to spot and avoid kidnap/hostage situations because, "she's not at risk". You guessed it, she got kidnapped by a man who wanted to know who she operated on and how to find them. The H, who also runs a rescue business, has to go in and find and rescue her. They spend much of the book running from the man who kidnapped her and is obsessed with her, and fall in lurve. At the end, the H is killed by random gunfire in LA when two gangs decide to shoot it out. I totally, TOTALLY hated the ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 1:59:30 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I'm thinking a WTF Endings shelf would be a good thing on GR right about now, lol!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 2:04:32 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
To Love a Rat was horrible. It was put out on the free thread and then I read the 22 pages and so far it is the only review I have ever written on amazon. Someone asked were I thought it was a romance book and after looking it over I can say; the name and the description of the book (Joe, a soldier, meets a woman while on a deployment in Iraq. Soon he's embroiled in a forbidden affair, and he finds himself making the most difficult decision in his life.). This seems like the author is wanting us to think this. "H" seduces h while onlining sex with his girlfriend in the states. At the end he has h shot and then wants the photos of her demise! Nothing says I love you like ordering her killed (after she has been raped) and getting a drink after seeing the photos. The End! What was this author thinking!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 3:24:35 PM PDT
CMommy says:
OMG! These books sound absolutely awful!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 3:25:20 PM PDT
CMommy says:
HJ: I think a WTF Ending List would be great on GR!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 3:30:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 3:30:55 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Hmm. The only thing I recall was a book I actually enjoyed...until the end rolled around. H and h end up with their HEA...but.............the epilogue introduces their baby and its absolutely horrid, horrendously ugly name which has nothing whatsoever to do with any single part of the book. Seriously. No one in either characters family shares this name, and it has no significance.

The name: Lilli-pilli

My reaction: WHERE DID THAT COME FROM??!!!!!!!!!!! And, yes, this one small name, in a tiny little letter at the end, still ruins the memory of what was an otherwise nice read.

(But this is definitely not as bad as anything mentioned by above posters)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 4:29:05 PM PDT
gbaby says:
D. Arnold~That definitely sounds like a WTF book, but I also wonder WTF the author is thinking charging $2.99 for a 22 page book?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 4:34:18 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Welcome to the world of 'let's make a buck' fraud from the self-published via Amazon. Right?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 4:37:15 PM PDT
gbaby says:
Well said.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:28:35 PM PDT
Sensation by Thea Devine, sequel to Satisfaction. The whole book is pretty much WTF. Hero from Satisfaction (this hero's brother) is exposed as a member of a secret society that wants to take over the government along with training unwilling highborn ladies how to be sex slaves for prospective husbands. The heroine of Sensation is brought by her father to be trained, unknown to her; she thinks it's just for getting a husband. In the end H/h are set up: him to take the fall for an assassination by the society and her to be trained.

The most upsetting WTF moment for me was the disappearance of the bad brother's wife and child. She now knows, of course, what he is. But there's no clue whatsoever to her purpose or location.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:56:33 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
For me, Tempted had all sorts of WTF ending.

Start out the book happily married, then hubby's BFF comes to town. We can tell hubby and BFF want each other but it never happens. But hubby, wife, and bff start a sort of three way, where they all get with the wife. We come to realize hubby isn't as perfect as we thought he was, and the wife has kinda fallen for the BFF, and then he leaves, and the wife stays with the hubby. I wanted her with sexy BFF!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:13:18 PM PDT
L. Johnson says:
And this is what bothers me about Amazon's rating system and why I find it untrustworthy. Come Back To Me averaged a 4 star rating from ONE HUNDRED TWENTY people!! How does this happen with an ending like that!? Even given the fact that everyone has different tastes in books, 4 stars in my opinion should pretty much guarantee a good possiblity of my liking the book. I could see if five people who are the author's friends rated it high, a person might get suckered into reading it, but 120 people averaged 4 stars. But then, 219 people gave Megan's Way an average of 4 stars and after trying to slog my way through it and failing halfway and jumping to the end, I wouldn't have rated it 0.4.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:23:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 6:23:49 PM PDT
Shae says:
I second the Rose to the Fallen...really enjoyed the book (has two small WTH moments for me but I could get over these) but the end was truly a WTF?! It actually ticked me off. I want to end a book on a sigh of happiness not with a feeling that makes me want to beat my book (kindle) against the wall.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  325
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions