Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Not Quite Weekend Reading - Thanksgiving long Weekend

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 5:03:14 AM PST
ok, so I figured that since Thanksgiving day was tomorrow and many of us have tomorrow off, some will have Friday off, and we'll have the weekend off, that I would just post the reading plans list now. Although, if its anything like last year - most everyone has family in town (but not me!)

I'm planning on buying a couple of bottles of wine, ordering Chinese/Pizza and being a bum!

Reading wise, I have The Truth about Lord Stoneville that I am reading - like a doofus, I requested book 6 in the series to review from a review site without reading the previous 5, so I am trying to rectify that ;)

I'm also reading Crave (Fallen Angels, Book 2) and Dead Ringer (review copy).

On the ipod, i'm listening to Silent Girl

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:28:29 AM PST
Deanna - I have been debating starting that JRW series - you recommend? My family arrived at my house last weekend and I've barely had enough time to pick up a book - not too optimistic about the next few days! If I'm lucky I'll get through Courting Carolina and maybe one or two YA books I have here (I find YA books, while really good, are also quick reads). Hope to catch a couple of movies this weekend as well (Life of Pi and Lincoln) so if I finish even one book I'll be proud of myself!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:37:22 AM PST
bknyfinest1 says:
I wish that I could be a bum too, Deanna! As far as reading, I just started re reading The Duke and I and I'm excited for the holidays, so I picked up One Winter's Night (Harlequin Desire). I love Christmas romances!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:39:26 AM PST
I like her BDB series, this one not so much - but then its been like 2 years since I read book 1, so I've forgotten a good portion of what happened ;)

Enjoy Life of Pi - I want to see it, but want to listen to the book first

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:52:56 AM PST
Mo says:
... and some of us here in Europe have to WORK - Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:23:15 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Finishing up:
Hard Times - Dickens
Hunter (Crossfire series) - Gennita Low
Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (Working on "Regimental Murder", #2 at the moment) - Ashley Gardiner
Scandal in Spring - Lisa Kleypas

When those are done, time to break out the Christmas books, new and favorites.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:55:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 7:56:08 AM PST
MelissaB says:
I am still reading Sempre (Forever) - it's a very long book

Also rereading The Prize

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:00:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:01:12 AM PST
read4fun says:
Not a romance, but I am finishing Feedback and will read Seduced at Midnight (Berkley Sensation) next.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:17:26 AM PST
I am slogging my way through Kristan Higgins's The Next Best Thing (Hqn). So far it has been horribly depressing. I'm going to need something funny, or at least upbeat, to follow it. It also has a few chefs/bakers and has been making me really hungry.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:38:50 AM PST
KC says:
I made the mistake of starting Eloisa James The Ugly Duchess last night; had to finish it. Some of hers I've not enjoyed, but this one really rocked, so very short night last night!

What will I read this weekend??? continue to work on the challenge lists, but it will be Sunday before I can do any reading. Tonight; baking pies & some cleaning, tomorrow Family, Friday, decorating my folk's house with my sister, Saturday, decorating my house with my sister, Sunday, try to recover before Monday means back to work! Dang short 4 day vacation! :-) Everyone have a great Thanksgiving, however you enjoy it!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:59:38 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I'm reading Griselda Takes Flight: A Novel of Bright's Pond and it's not bad (at least not really, really bad) but it's just plain...odd. Anyhoo, it's fine because I'm going to be busy for the next couple of days so I don't see a whole lot of reading in my immediate future. In a moment of Martha Stewart madness I volunteered to make a whole bunch of stuff from scratch (WTF was I thinking!!!), then have to travel on Sat & Sun for my son's tournament. What are the odds that there's going to be traffic on the Mass Pike on a holiday weekend...hmmm. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

@Deanna: Your Thanksgiving plans sound perfect to me; I am seething with jealousy. You probably wouldn't want to trade places...nah, didn't thinks so :)

@ Elizabeth Ann Davey: I liked The Next Best Thing (Hqn), but Jeez it was so sad. Definitely requires an upbeat follow-up read.

@tealadytoo: I'm with you - out come the Christmas reads that I've been storing up all year! I should have enough to last me through New Years...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:12:55 PM PST
Hey Deanna! OK. Don't laugh. I just finished a series about a...ahem..."teddy bear" (big jumbo hair guy...hee hee!)

There were 3 books...

Her Teddy Bear #1 (Erotic Romance) Blind Date Teddy Bear
Her Teddy Bear #2 (Erotic Romance) - Take Your Teddy to Work Day
Her Teddy Bear #3 (Erotic Romance) - Dress Up Your Teddy

I thought the first book was a little odd, but I kept reading anyway. The second one was pretty cute, and I really liked the third one. The characters were interesting, the sex was hot, and the third part even had some sweet moments. How about that? :)

OK, you can laugh now.

I'm searching for some holiday erotica next. If anyone has a recommendation for me, please let me know!

Happy Thanksgiving,
NRB/Penny

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:14:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 2:16:09 PM PST
Penny- you are nuts, but I love you! I'll have to check these out...I'm debating reading the last 2 triple countess books - ugh, sooo many books, so little time!

oh yeah, I have this freebie, I downloaded called, ummm, something in Love, Lumberjack maybe...you know anything about it? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:15:37 PM PST
ugh seriously - 2.99 for 50 pages of writing...holy nutz!! sounds good, but i'm too cheap

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:30:18 PM PST
cathyr says:
No Thanksgiving for me - but beautiful weather, Deanna! Perfect for a bush walk or a trip to Cleland to pat a koala. So lovely when the jacarandas are in bloom and we're at that "almost summer" point (do you miss it yet?). School's almost done for the year so it's the end of year concerts - lots of rushing off to places to wait!

I'm finishing The Duke's Perfect Wife, and then it's The Help, because Mum read it with her expat reading group and says now I have to, followed by His Destiny to complete the series.

And reading out loud to the kids The Guardians. We're half way through Book 2. Movie is released maybe this weekend? so we're trying to finish it before heading to the cinema. Hubby thinks the 6yo will be severely disappointed when the characters don't have the same silly voices I give them. What's the point of reading out loud if you don't do the voices?

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 7:10:19 PM PST
neon moon says:
finished reading Gallant Waif (Harlequin Historical) by anne gracie. it was good, but i wasn't overwhelmed by the book.
planning on reading Zemindar by valerie fitzgerald and The Veil of Illusion by rebecca ryman. this would finish off my title challenge and just leave me with the author challenge. 9 more to go for both!
if i have time on my working, non-thanksgiving weekend, i might start Lady of the Glen by jennifer roberson or Dance by judith ivory. or, since i seem to be reading "sweeping historical romance" rather than historical romance lately, i might go for something fluffy like Crazy Hot (Steele Street) by tara janzen or This Pen For Hire (A Jane Austen Mystery) by laura levine. or i might re-read The Diamond Throne: Book One of the Elenium (Voyager Classics) by david eddings or Secret Sins by jasmine cresswell.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:55:18 AM PST
LTR says:
The Next Big Thing made me really upset because the back cover made the book sound like it would be funny -- widowed young, the h decides to find a nice safe guy and settle down. Now she just has to tell the neighbor she's been sleeping with. I thought that had so much potential for a fun read -- instead, she was so awful and selfishly clueless and cruel I thought the H was crazy for even wanting her. Between that and Just One of the Boys, I decided I just can't read her kind of angst and never even look at her books. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a bit about her books -- I guess I just felt cheated because I walked out of B&N so excited with two new books (and a new author for me) and then it was like watching a train wreck to read them (you know, when you're thinking "oh no, please don't do that to him".

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:34:47 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Still in my slump, but just got Priceless (A Sexy Urban Fantasy Mystery) which sounds like it has promise. Also, I'm trying to get used to reading on a Fire, which really is a different experience than the e-ink, so it's been easier to put down (the reader, that is).

I'm a bit burned out on YA right now, and even regular romance, so I'm hoping that hitting up other sub-genres will help.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:36:34 AM PST
i personally find the KH's are incorrectly shelved as romance - her earlier books - which these 2 are, are much more in the chick-lit realm than the romance realm - I felt the same way when I read Just One of the Guys, because no one had mentioned that to me...

her newer books - like My One and Only (Hqn) are much closer to the traditional romance HEA spectrum than her earlier works

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:39:48 AM PST
ohhh the joys of being a bum!

so far, I have finished up:
Rogue Rider - she redeemed Respeth in a great way
Wings of Love - ehhh, not great, not completely sucky!
The Truth about Lord Stoneville - cute - I have the other ones on the pile to read
One Reckless Summer: A Destiny Novel - i requested book 2 from the library as soon as I finished reading this one...

next up Seduced by a Spy (Warner Forever), finishing up Dead Ringer and then who knows - i have a bunch of review ARC's to read

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 7:10:21 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I really liked Just One of the Guys, but it's definitely chic-lit/romance. For one thing, the H/h aren't even together for about 90% of the book! The only one of her books that I couldn't finish was her first one, Fools Rush In (Hqn). The whole brother-in-law thing just didn't do it for me and I ended up skimming it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 7:23:45 AM PST
I finished The Next Best Thing (Hqn) and posted my review on goodreads. (I am mlleelizabeth over there). I agree with you about the heroine. She's easily in my top two or three most hated heroines. I understand she is grieving but she doesn't have to treat the H (and others) so horribly while she is doing it. I just ached for the H. His parents were horrible to him as well. He should have told them all to go fly a kite and left to find an h who would appreciate him somewhere else. And this book was definitely not funny. I cried and cried. Mostly for the H.

Sorry! I still need to vent about this book too!

I did like the food descriptions and many of the secondary characters.

@Deanna L. Fisher - You are right. This was really chick lit. I have heard good things about My One And Only so I won't give up on Ms. Higgins yet.

I followed The Next Best Thing up with silly, smutty feline shapeshifter erotic romance. Kya's King (Sanctuary). Not a great book but the silly fluff I needed. Not sure what to read next. I need something really funny and sweet but sexy. Maybe a sports romance.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:00:59 PM PST
neon moon says:
i finished KATHERINE by anya seton and loved it. so well written. also read Crazy Hot (Steele Street) by tara janzen. i enjoyed it, and look forward to reading others in the series.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:34:55 AM PST
also finished up Bad Boys Do and Dead Ringer yesterday

I started Tigerland and Rescue My Heart yesterday

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:52:43 PM PST
taking a break from reading to go and see a movie - but I also finished up Rescue My Heart and Seduced by a Spy (Warner Forever)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions