Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Plot: Where do YOU personally draw the line?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 5:14:25 PM PST
Kim C says:
Right now I am trying to read Forever My Girl (The Beaumont Series). If I'm not mistaken it was recommended a time or two on these forums for some reason or another.

Reading it (I am at the part where the H just did the eulogy for his very best friend ... That he ignored for six (or seven?) years.

It started off with the hero breaking up with his one true life, after taking her virginity and promising her forever. She called him, crying from missing her so much. Eventually, it got so tiresome, that he changed his phone number. The h was pregnant, he didn't know.

Comes back to town, finds out and gets upset with HER for not telling him. For having continued on with her life and finding a man.

Really?? Really?? This is somehow going to turn into a lovely HEA? I'd kick his as*s to the curb. Not think about dropping my dependable will be fiancé for a no good rocker who has already shown exactly what he was made of.

This to me stretched my own personal ... Moral code? Backbone limit?

Has there been books out there, where the plot just had you shake your head and say "no way in hell"?

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:15:52 PM PST
Kim C says:
Eh, pardon errors. My iPad thinks it knows what I want to type

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:59:06 PM PST
M. Moss says:
Susan Mallery's Almost Perfect the book that made stop reading her! Girl from the wrong side of the tracks secretly dating the football star because he wanted it that way. Gets her pregnant then marries the girl who tormented the hertoine in high school.

She she wrote o him his wife sent a letter back stating that he wanted nothing to do with her kid. When the heroine comes back to town she is under the impression that he knew about their child together well the "hero " finds out and goes crazy and contacts a lawyer to try to get custody of his son.

Mallery did nothing to redeem the so called hero it was her fault that she came back the first time to try and tell him about her being pregnant only to find him in bed with his future wife and the letter she wrote that his wife intercepted and wrote back the hero pretending to be him she should have tried harder.

Oh and the hero's mother was a piece of work to talking the weak hero into going after full custody of his son.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:24:07 PM PST
Elly Helcl says:
UGH! Both of these books leave a sour taste in my mouth and I haven't read them!!!

I read a book called "Stolen Innocence" and what was supposed to be a Dark Romance/Erotica turned out to be a horror freak show! I finished the book and was left with the hee bee jee bee's. I guess my line in the sand is a little more blurred than most people's but that book was seriously wrong!

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:59:13 PM PST
Sherylb says:
That's how I felt about Someone to Love. The plot was ridiculous to me. I read half and quit.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:22:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 7:26:24 PM PST
Lilah Brown says:
I draw the line at any infidelity. Also, emotional cruelty of any kind. Sometimes I am reading and I can't help but think that if I were in her situation there is no way I'd let him put his hands on me after he treated me like that! Often we see the h swept away by desire. That's never happened to me, I guess I have enough control over myself to not give a part of me to someone who doesn't appreciate it and treats me like crap.

There are several books like this, but I am so riled up I can't think of one to post!

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 6:05:10 AM PST
LTR says:
Susan Mallery's Sweet Trouble sounds really close to her Almost Perfect book. The H (and I say that loosely) sent the h away and then when he sees her again four years later, he pretends to fall in love with her but secretly is going for custody of their son. He was horrible! i didn't read any of her books for years after that -- I want my heroes acting like heroes, not schmucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:04:55 AM PST
M. Moss says:
@LovesToRead

I will never understand how an author who is writing a ROMANCE book will write a hero that we readers will render him a eunuch if they did whatever they did to the heroine to us.

Readers of romance books read because we want that perfect guy o fall for us the way hero's do in the books, I don't want to read a book about an hero that makes me want to write an episode of SNAPPED.

Nor do we want a hero to rug sweep his wrong doings and turn it around and blame shift the h. Kind of passive/aggressive to me and somewhat of a borderline personality disorder.

I also stopped read one author when the h cheated on her bf when he was fighting overseas, I think it was with a friend of their the guy she cheated with, well he finds out and blames himself and she the cheater agrees with him.

So he goes home to his father who we find out was involved in an long term affair while married to the hero's mother because daddy couldn't choose to he had both. You would think this would enrage the hero nope it makes hhim understand his skanky cheating gf all the better and he goes back to her.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 10:12:34 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
The killing off of the H or h! What is the point of the book then. Hate even more when the author tries to write another book with them finding another H or h. Not romance in my book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:47:52 AM PST
LTR says:
I know!!! I can't understand how these heroines take guys back so quickly when there's no way you could trust them again. I mean, the guy dates you, treats you like a princess, talks of a future then you get served with custody papers after you've slept with him and the author wants me to WANT the h to forgive the H when he says "oh sorry, I changed my mind at the last minute but my attorney had already couriered the papers"? He was a total pr**k five years ago, he's a total pr**k now and yet she's still "in love with him"? Wow -- I'd say she needs a therapist and to run as far and as fast as possible.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 10:49:08 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
Mine would be where a book in a series has a HEA, then later in another book you find out that after the HEA, he cheated on the h and had a child with OW.

I have never read another book by this author again, if you can't trust your HEA's what's the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:53:49 AM PST
ambrosia says:
Lillian Rose: you're not talking about Stephanie Laurens by any chance, are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:56:44 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
That is another for me as well. You go through all the 'stuff' to get the HEA and the author screws you over with a cheater in the future. WTH. It is bad enough to read a cheater when they are trying to get together, but after there is a HEA, no redemption for that at all. Not a romance. Leave it alone authors. Don't mess with our HEAs. Read 2 books about their love and angst to get to the HEA and read the third book reviews and was livid at what the author did. On my Do Not Read authors forever as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:58:22 AM PST
ambrosia says:
D.Arnold: oh yeah, that series. Yep. Luckily for me I hadn't started the series at all when I heard what the author did. No way for me!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:58:55 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
ambrosia,

Yes I have never read another book of hers after that, you just loose faith. There's no point in reading her books cause you would have to treat all of them as a HFN not a HEA.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:01:33 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
I also hate it when the H lies, you know he lies to the h. I just can't trust them after that. I'm talking about right at the end to get the HEA with the h the H lies to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 11:15:03 AM PST
ambrosia says:
Lillian Rose: I've ranted about that particular plot device of SL's before. The only way it was saved for me was because she created the infidelity as a (stupid) plot device in Devil's Bride (the legitimate son's book). I would have been fine with the father's cheating because he wasn't alive or a Hero when I read the book. Then she decided to write the parents' story, which she issued in HARDCOVER, and she cashed in on the popularity of the Cynster series. Luckily I knew about the infidelity (and lame a$$ justification) and refused to read the parents' book. I still trust her usual HEAs - as long as she doesn't write another prequel.

That's not why I stopped reading her.

I stopped reading her books because they were all the same. I got bored. She has one basic plot, and the only difference is whether she's writing her shorter, less smexy books or the longer books. Most authors have a basic plot and pattern, but the talented ones can modify it enough so that you can't just change the H and h names to get each book . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:08:31 PM PST
Book Worm says:
D. Arnold - totally agree killing off either H or h is the worst. We read romances for the happy ending. How is someone dying a happy ending?

As for where I draw a line personally. I don't read romance books where the H and h get together and they are already with other people, in a series relationship, as in the h and H cheat on others to be together. Stats show that only 5% of people who start a relationship with an affair make it to two years. So where is the happy ending? How can there be a happy ending when it is started with such dishonesty? Break up before starting the relationship for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 11:19:37 PM PST
RgReader says:
There are readers who don't mind imperfect heroes. Some readers have a high tolerance for that type of angst.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:39:56 PM PST
Lillian Rose says:
I agree that everyone has different tastes, but I believe that the romance genre should be that romance with a HEA.

I think that all the things talked about really don't belong in the romance genre, but as was said different readers have different needs so reclassify the book into it's genre, or create a genre for it. Then romance readers won't be kicked into emotional hell when confronted with infidelity, the loss of a child, etc etc.

IMHO, I believe that you should get what you pay for and you can't get an emotional blockage to wipe away the emotions of reading something that you abhor. I am not saying that you can't read books with all the above and more, just warn the readers, or reclassify. I love my angsty books, I read infidelity books as well, but I'm warned about them from the thread I don't go in blind, I prepare myself emotionally for what I am about to read, I'm not blindsided.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 12:25:47 AM PST
Amber says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:13:09 AM PST
Agree. In fact, I like that AS LONG as I get a sufficient grovel. I have to feel that the H has been redeemed. Otherwise I'm left ranting and raving. I end up not liking either the H or the h. I think she's TSTL and I want to do bodily harm to him.

Sadly, good grovel books are far too rare.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 10:27:45 PM PST
RgReader says:
I find myself ranting at older HP's, soo much angst and not enough groveling...thinking of Robyn Donald older books!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:46:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 10:48:04 PM PST
Minicheerios says:
I recently read A well pleasure lady, by Christina Dodd where the H besides being the most arrogant, hateful man in the history of Historical romance heroes, rapes the h in what is considered a "love scene". Yuckkkkkk. Hated it with a passion. Why would anyone find force intercourse romantic??? That is sick, is beyond sick, is monstrous. I heard that on the book sequel she also wrote a "love"(rape) scene. This woman needs help.
-With that being said, I also draw the line at the "way to perfect heroes". AKA MAria Force-McCarthy Family of Gansett Island books. Completely unrealistic heroes that make me roll my eyes and wish to slap them all silly.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:13:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 2:14:17 AM PST
Rena Ruadh says:
For me, such a book was `Dreams of a Dark Warrior' by Kresley Cole. I'd read the entire series but stopped after that book. We have a hero who is the (repeated) reincarnation of the heroine's original love. In this particular life, he is part of a secret organisation that captures immortals and then tortures them, performing lovely experiments such as vivisection. The `hero' is the one that orders these experiments to be done. He finally, after having ordered the heroine to be tortured, sees the light and remembers who he was all those lifetimes ago. Sorry - no! Big time no!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
4 17 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
114 2 days ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 2419 39 minutes ago
Heroine dumped badly but Hero comes back for her 15 50 minutes ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 6792 53 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 6358 54 minutes ago
villain/ antihero whos only softness is found in the heroine 116 56 minutes ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 7855 1 hour ago
Our most loved, perfect, couldn't-put-down stand-alones 67 1 hour ago
HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween. 9673 1 hour ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 8726 1 hour ago
Free Today Second Edition 6102 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions