Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Proper, conservative H meets wild, free spirited h

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012 8:01:40 AM PDT
Dani D says:
Hi,
looking for books with conservative accurate Hero with boring life, who meets freaky open minded carefree individaulist-Heroine, who shows him real life or confuses his life.

Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 8:37:30 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
What genre would you prefer?

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:41:18 AM PDT
read4fun says:
The Secret Mistress (The Mistress) by Mary Balogh

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:56:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 8:57:04 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Rendezvous by Amanda Quick

h takes pride in being the last of wild "Northumberland" branch of her family. H is looking for a no scandal type of bride. h can't imagine WHY he is looking in her direction. (He has his reasons, which unfold as the book progresses.) Very enjoyable, albeit somewhat implausible.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:03:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 9:03:31 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Just as a general musing, sometimes I like this trope, sometimes I hate it. I like it when they come together through realizing they balance each other. H needs to lighten up, h needs a little grounding. Together each is happier and more complete.

I hate it when it is one-sided and only the H needs to change and it implies we should all stop paying our bills on time so we can go tripping through the daisies. Can you tell I fall more on the conservative end of the spectrum? :=)

Come to think of it, how come we never see a free spirited guy lightening up a conservative heroine? (We do see sexy guy loosens up prudish gal, but that's different.)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:49:49 AM PDT
Slightly Dangerous (Balogh, Mary) by Mary Balogh

Loretta chase has one like that. I cannot remember which one 'mr perfect' or 'miss wonderfull' or something like that.

I will ckeck my lists but there are several like that contemporary and historicals.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 10:39:43 AM PDT
Bewitching by Jill Barnett Aloof Duke + bumbling and irresponsible witch = romance

Breath of Magic by Teresa Medeiros He's a hard hearted billionaire who will give one million dollars to anyone who can do real magic, she crashes at his feet flying on a broomstick.

Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas - Lawless Lily and thats all you need to know.

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas - She's an independent, fun loving American, he's a stuffy peer who takes his responsibilities too seriously.

The Magic of You by Johanna Lindsay - Solid and cheerless man plus risk taking lovelorn heroine.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 12:55:00 PM PDT
Anne McAllister has older HP I believe the title is His Inconvent Wife

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:05:52 AM PDT
Dani D says:
@tealadytoo Well, maybe because I'm a little bit fed up with self confident, always good looking heroes - that's why I find it more interesting, the heroine is the wild, funny one ...

@Kate Barley Any contemporary would be fun, too!

So far, thanks to you all for the suggestions, I'll try some!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:33:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 2:36:22 AM PDT
read4fun says:
A Basket of Wishes
Best Laid Schemes (Regency Romance)
Regency Match
Brighton Road
Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
The Toplofty Lord Thorpe

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:57:56 AM PDT
ambrosia says:
Grand Passion and Hidden Talents by Jayne Ann Krentz.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 6:03:32 AM PDT
D. Arnold says:
DeButy and the Beast. Just finished. Book was cute. He was a Dr./anthropologist and she was found after 12 years on a pagan island. She was a love godess on the island. He married h to get money/supplies for his next adventure per grandmother. He was to culture her and tame her to the was of society in 4 months.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:07:18 PM PDT
C. Carr says:
Baby, Oh Baby! (Time of Your Life) by Robin Wells

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:25:00 PM PDT
I would say most Krentz books and her Quick as well. There is a great Unstarched list on Goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12871.Starchy_Hero_Gets_Un_Starched

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:57:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 9:36:56 AM PDT
shelf says:
I just read Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt, one of the secondary characters (Winter Makepeace) is exactly the type of hero I'm looking for and think you would enjoy ( he's not in it enough though) - his family are very proper, sedate and dress plainly (but I don't think they're Quaker exactly?) and he runs a home for orphans. he's almost pious but we saw his thoughts for one woman in particular who tempted him and I loved it.

Are there any books with hero's that are like this? i.e. Quaker / who don't believe in frivolity like the usual rakes in Historical's / who give to charity or run a charitable home etc.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:47:49 PM PDT
I loved Ravished
and A Season To Be Sinful

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:49:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 5:43:02 PM PDT
Ianvin,
Winter's book Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane) by Elizabeth Hoyt will be out in June. (Can't wait!) In AAR boards there were discussion in thread (Scandalous Desires(Maiden Lane)) about these books, Makepeace family, and if they are Quakers. Winter's book will be 4. in the series. I love these books!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 4:57:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 4:58:21 PM PDT
shelf says:
I discovered his book was coming out but was sad to see I had to wait, the teaser at end of SD has made me desperate to read it! I've been trying to find out if another author has already written about a hero like Winter but I'm coming up with nothing

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:34:36 PM PDT
Summer says:
Lacybourne Manor by Kristen Ashley. Arrogant Colin and free spirited Sibyl are the reincarnated souls of their ancestors (star crossed lovers), who died tragicaly in 1522.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:49:48 PM PDT
Dani D,
in AAR (All About Romance) there is a thread about Stiffy, Uptight heroes. In this list there are quite many books.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:57:43 PM PDT
Betina Krahn's THE MERMAID is a fun Victorian about a buttoned-up Oxford professor and a free-spirited lady.

I've not seen too many contemporaries with this theme, and I can't think of too many myself, but Susan Elizabeth Phillips' most recent, CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE may work for you. It's not her best book, but still good IMHO.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:09:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 8:18:30 PM PDT
Ianvin,

"I've been trying to find out if another author has already written about a hero like Winter"

The siblings in his (Winters) family share the same world view like him and they have their own books. Temprances and Silences story, and there are glimpses about the brothers in these earlier books. There will be a book about their younger brother Asa, too. He is very mysterious person having bisnesses elswhere than in the Foundling Home. I liked to read them in order.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:16:54 PM PDT
Spoiler Alert:
Isn't Winter the Ghost of Seven Dials?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 6:56:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 6:59:53 PM PDT
shelf says:
As soon as I finished SD a few days ago I checked the other books in the series but nothing appealed to me (might read them in the future) as they're based on the sisters from what I've seen and the plots don't appeal. I would only read if one of the brother's were the main characters (I finished SD it mainly just to read about Winter, very rare for me to prefer secondary characters!) If one of the brothers has his own story I will definitely read it

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 6:58:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 6:58:48 PM PDT
shelf says:
angela : He is indeed. I think he may potentially be one of the best hero's I've come across (aside from his name) everything about his story so far intrigues me. So glad I discovered E.Hoyt!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Apr 13, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions