Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Contemporary Romance Novels of Heroes with Intense PTSD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 1:55:19 PM PST
Hello! I need a change from sweet and fluffy novels. Could you possibly recommend contemporary books where the hero suffers from a good amount of angst/ptsd and makes a slow recovery with the help of the heroine?

The only books I found were Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley (very realistic, emotional and intense)

The Edge of Courage by Elaine Levine (hero is haunted by extreme PTSD)

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:18:46 PM PST
SAB says:
Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye.

They don't mention PTSD in the story but the hero was part of the Special Agent Forces and was sent home do to injuries. He has nightmares everynight that the heroine helps him with.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:20:58 PM PST
Colleen says:
Here Comes the Groom (Harlequin Super Romance)
H has PTSD after a teammate is killed. It's not my favorite, but it's not awful. It has a lot going on, all of it serious.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:35:39 PM PST
These sound great, thanks so much for your suggestions!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:52:30 PM PST
cathyr says:
In the thread "Historicals with deaf/blind/mute h?" this link was posted for "damaged" heroes and heroines: http://www.likesbooks.com/lessthanperfect.html

It has three books for h or H with PTSD
England's Perfect Hero (2004) by Suzanne Enoch
The Perfect Bride (2007) by Brenda Joyce
Snowbound (11/2007) by Janice Kay Johnson

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:14:07 PM PST
Sharon Sala has a couple with PTSD, Next of Kin (Rebel Ridge Novels) and Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge Novels). You would need to read both books to get the full effect. In the first book, the H of the second is only a secondary character whose family worries about him. In the second, he is improved but still suffering when he opens his home to a team mate who is being discharged with injuries and has no place to go (yes, the team mate is a she). They actually work to heal each other. Both are good books, the second is somewhat closer to what you want if you don't mind missing the back story.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:28:46 PM PST
LTR says:
Able Bodied by Karen Foley is a Harlequin Blaze that I really liked. He's dealing with PTSD and injuries that she helps with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:41:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 3:42:03 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:45:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 3:46:21 PM PST
nice list! thanks Cathyr and Mary L. Valley

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:49:38 PM PST
cathyr says:
You're welcome. It looked like a lot of the contemporaries had injuries as a result of warfare. While PTSD may not be explicitly discussed, depression and other psychological disturbances (and the related angst) often come with such trauma.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:50:23 PM PST
I love that cute cover of Able Bodied by Karen Foley. I'm sure this is a good read. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:46:18 PM PST
You're very welcome. I'll let you know if I come across more. :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:09:26 PM PST
All Night Long

actually both have ptsd, both are recovering but will never be 'normal' again. i really liked it

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:52:58 AM PST
beachbaby says:
Acts Of Honor is free today. I haven't read it yet but according to the description H has ptsd and the h helps him.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:14:01 AM PST
Bill Bee says:
The Proposal by Mary Balogh

This is the story of Hugo, who led a forlone hope charge (what we whould call a suicide mission today) at the Siege of Badajoz in 1812 during the Peninsular War. He survived but virtually his entire company was wiped out. He went insane with grief and guild and was returned to England in the Regency equivalent of a straight jacket. When the story begins it is several years later, he has recovered somewhat but is still not entirely well. He rescues Lady Gwen after she falls and badly sprains her ankle on a hill above a Cornwall beach and their dance begins. This is one of my favorite Mary Balogh books and she is my favorite romance author.

The Proposal is out in hard back, Kindle and audio book. All of these are over $10.00 new. I recommend getting it from the library until the paperback edition is published. - Bill

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:17:02 AM PST
S. Taylor says:
Vicki Hinze has a great book with the heroine suffering from PTSD - Her Perfect Life (Signature Select).

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:25:06 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
This seems to be a popular topic lately, but darned if I can remember anything specific that isn't already listed (I've been reading my way through a couple of the Harlequin Men in Uniform type series, and they all run together after a while <g>). But, I will second the following:

Able Bodied (Harl Blaze--these are my guilty pleasure, and Karen Foley is a current favorite)

Snowbound: This is a free read at eharlequin and got me sucked into J K Johnson. Darn them and their free reads! (http://www.eharlequin.com/images/60th/formats/10Snow.pdf)

All Night Long: This is classic J A Krentz. It is very, very serious, with suspense, unless it is not. Lots of great witty dialog. :) There is a good review of it at The Romance Reader (http://www.theromancereader.com/krentz-all.html). Darn, now I want to reread it, and I've looked at every ebook reader app I own. I must have gotten it from the library!

There are a few others above that I've read and enjoyed (England's Perfect Hero is a reread-once-a-year for me), but they are historicals. Gaelen Foley's Lord of Ice (The Knight Miscellany) is also good (but, while you don't need to read the entire series, I'd check out the family tree on her website and read Lord of Fire (The Knight Miscellany) first. Another good historical is Jennifer Ashley's The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Mackenzies Series), although his issues are not war related.

Judy

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:26:41 AM PST
Thanks a lot everyone, great suggestions! Oh J.Manful, thanks for suggesting the free read. Snowbound was a very good story. The characters were so realistic with deep emotions.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:09:06 PM PST
CMommy says:
Kristen Ashley's Golden Trail (The 'Burg Series) Although, it's not a hero but a heroine who suffers from PTSD.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:05:01 PM PST
beachbaby says:
I am currently reading Missing. The H is a former POW in Afghanistan who now suffers from PTSD. So far I'd probably give it 3.5 stars. I am half way through.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:43:28 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:44:54 PM PST
KarenH says:
One of my favorite contemporaries that happens to have this theme is Summer of Two Wishes. The H was declared dead 4 years ago. He was the love of the h's life and she had a hard time letting go. Eventually she moves on, meets a great guy and remarries. The book begins when the h receives a personal visit from the Army informing her that her husband has been found alive (he escaped from a prison camp) and is on his way home. Heart-wrenching story

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 3:25:00 AM PST
Hannah says:
The Fight by Stephen Power available on Kindle ticks all the boxes. It's not 'sweet and fluffy' although, essentially, it's a story of love and compassion; a book about the triumph of the human spirit. The hero suffers ptsd and, with the help of the heroine, makes a slow recovery.

The Fight is a tale of suspense based on real events. It's gritty in parts, not surprising given the subject matter, but ultimately it's an uplifting read. See on Amazon http://tiny.cc/7gxbjw

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 12:11:10 PM PST
Sherylb says:
I would recommend Just Remember to Breathe. I'm about halfway through it and its pretty good. Also $0.99!

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:02:53 PM PST
"Just Remember to Breathe" is a good one Sherylb! Thanks all for your recommendations.
Happy Thanksgiving!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions