Customer Discussions > Romance forum

DNF List

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 2:04:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 4:04:34 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
I had to do it. I had to start a thread after reading too many books I did not and could not finish. Reasons are various: poor editing, grammar mistakes galore, poorly written, too many WTF moments, etc.

It has gotten to the point where I've DNFed so many books, I can't keep track of them. TG for this forum, because the reviews are becoming untrustworthy with so many friends, family, and fangirls of authors posting 5 star reviews. I've had enough of wasting my time and money on these types of books that have become more commonplace than not. Please note, I am not talking about books where I did not enjoy the plot or storyline. Obviously, something about the story interested me enough to start reading it.

So.... if you started a book that was a DNF (or wished you had DNF), then feel free to post it here and the reason(s) why. Hopefully, this may help other readers with their decision on whether to purchase a book or not.

ETA: btw, I am not an expert on grammar so if I start noticing a lot of grammar mistakes, they must be pretty blatant and obvious.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:08:51 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
C. Shell - Escape
Summary: Abby Chandler has the perfect life. At least that is what she thought until walking in on her boyfriend Connor having sex with another girl in their bed. Moving out of their apartment and back in her college dorms, Abby is trying to put her life back together with the help of her best friend and her ex that has made an unexpected reappearance back into her life. All is going well except that Connor refuses to let her move on without a fight.

Connor loves Abby and although he does not regret cheating, he does regret getting caught. Connor will use every dirty trick and resource available to get her back. Abby is his and he refuses to let her ruin his plans at having his happily ever after with her. Who will Abby choose?

This was a DNF for me. Immature and unimaginative writing and story-telling filled with grammar mistakes and typos. The "DNFing" moment came when the H and h are having sex and he "trusts" into her. Aaaaand "trusts" into her again. *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:20:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 2:23:01 PM PST
The author's name would have been enough to at least make me think twice. C. Shell, seriously??

Just read what you wrote, is Connor supposed to be the hero of this story? Doesn't sound very heroic, lol!

ETA: aaaand the author gave herself a 5 star rating on GR, nope! Not for me.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:23:32 PM PST
Cyndie says:
I am probably going to get blasted for this but a DNF for me was Outlander. I tried and tried to get into it but just could not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:23:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 2:26:00 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
See! I didn't even catch that. I was loaned this book and even as a freebie, I still could not finish.

ETA: That's another thing I forgot to add. The summary is misleading. My friend sent me this book and wasn't sure if she could read it, so I took the plunge. *smack hand to forehead* Connor is NOT the Hero.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:26:13 PM PST
nah - there are plenty of ppl here that hate it - it seems to be a very much love it/hate it type book - don't see many in between reviews

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:33:13 PM PST
Well a pretty much DNF book for me was His Saxon Slave

It was on the "warlord" thread and I thought I would give it a try...Ummm The heroes name was Bonar (that's how he was addressed) In my head I kept calling him "boner'. The writing was horrible, run on sentences, word usage that was just odd and the story wasn't good either. I returned it to Amazon for a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:36:16 PM PST
Now I'm picturing Mike Seaver's goofy friend on Growing Pains. Remember Boner? So NOT who you want in your head as a romantic lead!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:37:47 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
@E: Thanks for letting us know about His Saxon Slave.

@Smut: Thank you for making me laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:41:56 PM PST
LOL Smut Mommy....Nope it is not...Not to mention I got a image of boner walking around conquering with a permanent woody. It wasn't pretty lmao.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:43:24 PM PST
LOL My maiden name is Bonar. It's actually pronounced "Bo-narr." Let me just say that high school was miiiiisssssseeerrrrable. Ugh.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:47:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 2:47:33 PM PST
Poor L. I went to school with a girl whose last name was Funk. She was relieved when she got married and could change it lol.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:50:12 PM PST
MegMeg says:
Eileen Dreyer- Never a Gentlemen. I didn't hate this book but it made me so angry I could hardly stand it. The H is so terrible to the h that it made me crazy. He thinks she's ugly, talks about it all the time, moves his mistress into their house as her maid, and he has sex with her after they are married and together. The h just puts up with it. She sees him having sex with his mistress and demands he do it the same with her. He also, just assumes she is a certain way and dies her pubic hair, doesn't seem to want to get to know Herat all. He is such an ahole. Anyway I didn't finish it.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:57:34 PM PST
Meowmix101 says:
Knight - Kristen Ashley. Could not finish, did not like the hero and the use of 'daddy' in the bedroom, just too much ick factor for me.

The great escape - SEP - Sadly could not finish, was not on par with SEP's usual awesome writing. Too much attention spent on secondary characters and the heroine was just annoying to me.

I have more but these are just the most recent ones that I can think of.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:15:00 PM PST
I don't know what these people are thinking. Just the other day I by passed a book where one of the co-authors was Roger Thatt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:22:57 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Read- great thread.
This list is a long time coming. I'm gonna have my say here too cos I've been insulted one time too many by writers who think they can publish such shoddy work.
Hopefully authors (and I use the term loosely) will pop in here, see the truth about their offerings and use it to make a positive difference in their future works.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:24:56 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
@Beeg: dankie and ditto

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:26:16 PM PST
ambrosia says:
And if you dare to review these works honestly, you may be persecuted by the authors, the publishers, or their sycophants.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:33:10 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
@ambrosia: and THAT pisses me off. How wrong is it that some readers are having second thoughts to writing an honest negative or mediocre review because of those types of bullying tactics?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:46:31 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I know. That's why I haunt these threads to get more complete reviews - people seem to be more comfortable to be frank here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:10:36 PM PST
Carrie says:
I just posted a less than fabulous review the other day and had a friend of the authors comment. I tried to keep it friendly but I just KNEW I was going to get negative feedback from someone. *shrug*

Losing It by Cora Carmack.

I felt no connection with the characters and zero connection between the characters. People RAVED about this book but it did nothing for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 5:10:18 PM PST
Where did you post the review? It's not showing on amazon...

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:19:39 PM PST
A Most Unsuitable Earl (Regency Collection Book 3); I normally try a few times before I give but this one I simply could not. I wrote a review, hero claims he is betrothed to heroine to escape a matchmaking mama. And that is when is mother jumps in the fray. The way the mother is described is almost (badly) cartoonish. It is so incorrect in terms of society - the heroine being the younger one but when it came right down to it, definitely outranking the older woman. Discussing s*x openly, I mean not whispered in a corner but loudly in the middle of a ballroom. If that was her (hero's mother) normal behavior, she would have been shunned by society long before that particular moment and if it was out of the ordinary, mom would be hauled away.
Sorry, got carried away again but I was so disappointed as I normally like this author quite a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 5:31:20 PM PST
Gunspurs says:
Another one who gave her own book 5 stars on Goodreads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 6:18:53 PM PST
Elly Helcl says:
Oh geez! Ambrosia, I swear, for every jack@$$ author out there who would reply negatively to a bad review, there are fifty of us SPA's sitting on the sidelines shaking our heads. Please don't let the actions of a few scare you off of SPA's or leaving reviews...Most of us take the good with the bad and realize that reviews are for the READERS and not us.

As a reader, I have reviewed a number of books, and once or twice I have left some pretty bad reviews. There was one in particular that I thought the author was going to have something to say...and I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't say a word. I had to silently applaud the author for behaving herself!

The DNF that I am talking about is...The Billion-Dollar Girl. However, I am currently reading "Witch Hollow" by the same author and it is way better.

Anyhow, I just wanted to encourage you to continue to review. If an author is dumb enough to respond, just ignore them...They are obviously too immature to be writing in the first place if they can't understand that not everyone is going to LOVE their book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions